It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

49 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

I had the worst lasagne of my entire life in that pub. What the **** was I thinking ordering lasagne in a novelty British pub in Benidorm?!

Why would you ever touch the food!? If I ate, I just went to Uncle Peds and got a cheese toasty for a Euro.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Hate the George.  Around the corner you have Roebuck.  has a pub garden with a screen.  A little more pricey, but none of the riff raff. 

Really? I think it’s quite alright but then again my standard of pub is low :D. 

5 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/charts/songs/

3 Lions 1 & 9

Vindaloo 13th

World in Motion 21st

We can do this :D 

ITunes means nothing nowadays when it comes to songs, you will need to stream it many many times on Spotify if you want to stop Drake and da kids although Youtube plays are part of the charts now.  The song at No1 currently didn't even sell 20k copies last week but due to streaming, it ended up with 75k

8 minutes ago, TM said:

ITunes means nothing nowadays when it comes to songs, you will need to stream it many many times on Spotify if you want to stop Drake and da kids although Youtube plays are part of the charts now.  The song at No1 currently didn't even sell 20k copies last week but due to streaming, it ended up with 75k

ha that sounds awful, glad I don't care about such things 

12 minutes ago, TM said:

It's currently the most streamed song on spotify apparently

We’re pretty sure it’s coming home right? 1f3f4_e0067_e0062_e0065_e006e_e0067_e007🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Well, if England reach the World Cup Final - sorry, when England reach the World Cup Final - we’re gonna close all our stores in England early at 3pm on Sunday 15th July. We want our colleagues to be the 12th man cheering on the lads

Pretty good of Aldi that

I always wondered what I'd do if England won the WC. I just assumed I would get super drunk but thinking about it I'm not sure I would. I'm 32 and this WC has proper done me in. Every 4 nights going to the pub and then celebrating hard. Can't handle it anymore :D I think IF we were to win the thing I'd leave the pub, go for a walk up top of Hampstead Heath and just sit and look over the landscape and admire the view ala Thanos in Infinity War :D

From the Times

The resurgence of the football anthem Three Lions has been an unexpected boon for its composers, who have seen it return to the charts through no effort of their own.

But one of its lyricists has begun to feel irritation with the way that the song is apparently overlooked at matches by the unofficial England team band.

David Baddiel, who co-wrote the lyrics with his comedy partner Frank Skinner to music by Ian Broudie, said that he disliked the band because of the way it imposed songs upon England fans rather than letting them sing spontaneously. He noted that the band preferred to play God Save the Queen and Rule, Britannia.

“If I can raise a sour issue with [fans’ singing],” he said in an interview with Joel Young on Absolute Radio 90s, “I’ve noticed that the England band have started to do a thing whereby instead of the spontaneous chanting that happens at a football match, they’ve started controlling it.

“And they don’t play Three Lions. I think there’s a slight enmity there.” Baddiel said that he resented the band. Asked jokingly if he wanted them to die, he agreed. “Or certainly to put their instruments down when I’m watching on the telly, because I think, ‘Oh, not Rule, Britannia again.’ The whole oompah-oompah-ness of it feels to me not very like what a football crowd does, which is this magical thing of organically coming up with songs.

“[When Three Lions was first sung in 1996] it wasn’t imposed by anyone on that Wembley crowd. They just started singing it and then started chanting ‘Football’s coming home’ when we scored, or when we were about to score.”

Baddiel said that the key to the success of Three Lions was that it was not triumphalist. “It’s a negative song. It’s a vulnerable song about supporting England. It says we are in the tournament and most people think we’re **** but maybe not. It’s got that magical idea that on the day we might play like we sometimes can.” He said that it was “quite hard to be English and be unqualifiedly proud of your country . . . whereas actually it’s OK to be proud in a downbeat, qualified way”.

He's got a point. The band keep trying to force September by Earth, Wind and Fire onto the crowd at our games.

13 hours ago, skybluedave said:

I always wondered what I'd do if England won the WC. I just assumed I would get super drunk but thinking about it I'm not sure I would. I'm 32 and this WC has proper done me in. Every 4 nights going to the pub and then celebrating hard. Can't handle it anymore :D I think IF we were to win the thing I'd leave the pub, go for a walk up top of Hampstead Heath and just sit and look over the landscape and admire the view ala Thanos in Infinity War :D

I still can't even imagine it happening :D kind of takes the edge off things, I think I would be a lot more stressed if I genuinely thought it was going to happen.

To be fair I think it would be a bit short notice to call a bank holiday. I mean I work in finance and transaction that are due to settle and trade Monday. Not sure the country can just postpone everything a day on short notice. 

But saying that I've seen emergency closing of markets on short notice in far east countries due to typhoons and what not. So who knows

Just now, skybluedave said:

To be fair I think it would be a bit short notice to call a bank holiday. I mean I work in finance and transaction that are due to settle and trade Monday. Not sure the country can just postpone everything a day on short notice. 

But saying that I've seen emergency closing of markets on short notice in far east countries due to typhoons and what not. So who knows

Or just do what usually happens on a Bank Holiday and fall on whatever regions aren't off.  We cover for London/New York whenever they're both swanning off enjoying one, along with Asia/South America.  Not beyond the realms of possibility, although it'd probably be down to each individual company.

Could easily see them organising one, can't really beat that good clean PR.

I find myself singing Three Lions in the shower now, and I'm not even English. Granted, I've been supporting them ever since my I started watching football and my own country never will qualify for tournaments, I still feel weird about it.

For me, football has already come home as we have exceeded my personal expectations of this young team. A quarter final place is an achievement considering how young and inexperienced this team is.

Yes there is an argument to say we have not really played anyone decent yet, Belgium aside, call it a World Cup friendly, but the way these young players have been performing has impressed me.

Archived