It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

**** it

All the other teams - They're all ****! 

England are going to win World Cup

Football is ****ing coming home. 

We've seen the rest, they're rubbish! 

Let's do this! English optimism here, we're going to do this! 

This thread is going HOF

3 LIONS ON A SHIRT... 

The 'they didn't know it was coming home' Wall of Shame

Westchump (the life loser) 

Andrew_ (the spanner) 

Cedrik (salty tool) 

Russel10 (Stefan Kuntz)

Haiku (wet lettuce)

GunmaN1905 

PMLF

Makwa 

Baptista_8

RedNomad (?) 

TheJagster 

(and I got a new hair dryer) 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

I worry about players being picked on reputation over form.

Form come and go though, if you call up just based on form, the squad will have to change too often.

11 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

Well I'm obviously not talking about squad call-ups as the tournament is well under way. I'm talking about the starting XI as it's sensible for any team to change under performing personnel, Germany did it, so I completely disagree. It's only for a month (if that) they've got to hit the grown running otherwise it'll be over before you know it. Sterling's international form has been widely reported. It's not like Rashford and Vardy are mugs either or that I'm proposing widespread changes. Vardy will get goals against a lot of these defences and Rashford will terrorise a few too of that I'm sure. Sterling, I'm unconvinced will do much at all tbh. 

I think the form that matters is the form at the national team, a player that is not doing well for the national team should be dropped from the starting 11, even if he does well for his club.

1 hour ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Tbh I do think it’s our best chance to do it since 2002. 

I'd agree but you always have to remember an Iceland could be just round the corner

"future fixturing" (if that's a word) is something I don't think you should do in a tournament.  To win the tournament, generally you will face at least one or two good teams so the idea of thinking that Germany are weaker than Mexico or wanting to avoid Germany in the next round is the wrong to think about things.  England definitely could beat Germany and Mexico with the right performance based on the current form of the teams in my opinion but they could quite easily lose to Mexico as they could to Germany

1 hour ago, daylight said:

The only problem with this master plan is, you are also pish!

Seriously watching the likes of Germany and Spain, you sort of feel they are either unlucky or could step up, with England not so much.

Wait a minute, im not saying Bliss is right (i mean, hes clearly been on the Beers :D) but you really think we werent unlucky against Tunisia? They had 1 Shot on Target from a very dodgy penalty, England should have had 2 penalties given for the blatant wrestling on Harry Kane and could realistically been 5-1 up at HT with the chances we had. I mean i know theres gonna be some ABE'ing in your post, but come on!

I don't think we're going to win it, but there isn't a single team that thinks "I hope we get England, we'll get through them easy" which is something that you could have said in at least a couple of past tournaments. 

We've got a chance. Not a big one, and QFs is still an excellent tournament, but we have a genuine chance for the first time in what feels like forever. 2006 was the last time I thought we could do it at any tournament.

I don’t think any team has really stood out. In the past you had teams like Germany, Spain, France etc. who looked clear contenders right from the start but not this tournament. 

Of course some teams could step up a gear and blitz their way to the final, but will that happen?

1 hour ago, Astafjevs said:

That's probably contributing to the overall giddyness. Everyone is looking at the others and thinking England can beat them all

We can. Of course they can beat us just as easily so there's no guarantees, but this is the smallest gap between us and the bigger teams for quite some time, 2006 possibly? There's not a single team that I think "yeah, no way we beat them"

There are several better teams than us, but we are capable of winning it. No point in getting overexcited at this stage but at the same time **** anyone who mocks us for enjoying a tournament. If we lost in the last 16 or QF it will still have been a good tournament for us by our standards, at least in terms of the general feeling

I want to see us play against a side that tests our defence before I start to believe we can go far. The Belgium game should be a test. That back three gives me the jitters. If I was a good side, I would be targeting Maguire and Young on our left flank. I'm not getting carried away.

8 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

I want to see us play against a side that tests our defence before I start to believe we can go far. The Belgium game should be a test. That back three gives me the jitters. If I was a good side, I would be targeting Maguire and Young on our left flank. I'm not getting carried away.

Not sure about that. There's talk of resting players on a yellow + players who picked up (minor) knocks. That includes Vertonghen, Hazard, Mertens, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Meunier
I doubt we'll rest all 6 but still, it's likely we'll play a glorified b side. Which tbf Southgate admitted to looking into as well, depending on who finishes 1st/2nd in other groups.

There is something very eerie about England quietly and efficiently progressing through their group. It's great, but it feels so weird... like something totally backwards to the normal laws of convention is going on.

1 minute ago, LilSaint said:

Not sure about that. There's talk of resting players on a yellow + players who picked up (minor) knocks. That includes Vertonghen, Hazard, Mertens, Lukaku, De Bruyne, Meunier
I doubt we'll rest all 6 but still, it's likely we'll play a glorified b side. Which tbf Southgate admitted to looking into as well, depending on who finishes 1st/2nd in other groups.

Well sure, but it's still a test compared to the absolute garbage we've faced in Tunisia and Panama. At least you won't be coming out to defend, foul and use every trick in the book to waste time.

1 minute ago, Tiger666 said:

Well sure, but it's still a test compared to the absolute garbage we've faced in Tunisia and Panama. At least you won't be coming out to defend, foul and use every trick in the book to waste time.

True. And you never know, those subs might come out with a point to prove. With most of the Eng/Bel players playing in the same league anyway, I can't imagine anyone will want to lose. Looking forward to thursday in any case.

I don't feel massively confident about facing Japan, Senegal or Colombia in the last 16. But they are all teams we can beat definitely. This is a good World Cup from the point of view that it does feel like (with a couple of exceptions) anyone can beat anyone on that day in history.

I fancy that this team would beat Colombia and comfortably overcome Japan. Senegal would be the major worry for me, they have the type of players up top that can cause problems for our admittedly somewhat fragile defence.

People saying don't get over confidence and warning against giddyness :D

We are comfortably the best team of the tournament so far.  92% pass completion against Panama, I read that's the in the top 5 of any game in any world cup ever. 

This is special. Down with negativity, hold onto me tightly and ride the wave! 

Tbf Panama possibly one of the worst sides to ever qualify. Fair play to them for making it over the likes of USA and Honduras, but they were hopeless. I know it’s their first World Cup and I love seeing the underdogs do well as much as the next guy, but seeing limbs everywhere in the stands when they’re scoring to go 5/6-1 down is so tin pot.  

Hoping i’m not coming off too elitist with that, was pleased for them to score when I saw how much it meant to them and may well be only goal they ever score at the World Cup,  but come on. Worrying that if they can qualify from 32, the sort of sides we might see at a 48 side tournament. 

Back on topic, thought we were good but was definitely 1 or 2 moments defensively where a side like Belgium is punishing us big time. 

43 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

I fancy that this team would beat Colombia and comfortably overcome Japan. Senegal would be the major worry for me, they have the type of players up top that can cause problems for our admittedly somewhat fragile defence.

Sengal didn't look all that great at the back either tbf, I'd be disappointed to lose to them

Panama were shocking yes, but let's not forget England's previous vs similarly bad teams in recent years:

0 - 0 vs Algeria

1 - 0 vs Slovenia

2 - 0 vs Trinidad and Tobago (iffy 80th minute goal and stoppage time)

Not to mention embarrassing struggles against supposed super powers USA and Nigeria. 

The fact we've rolled them over so effortlessly should be celebrated and cause for optimism.  It's so very un-English :) 

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Panama were shocking yes, but let's not forget England's previous vs similarly bad teams in recent years:

0 - 0 vs Algeria

1 - 0 vs Slovenia

2 - 0 vs Trinidad and Tobago (iffy 80th minute goal and stoppage time)

Not to mention embarrassing struggles against supposed super powers USA and Nigeria. 

The fact we've rolled them over so effortlessly should be celebrated be cause for optimism.  It's so very un-English :) 

This is definitely a point worth making. Beating Panama doesn't mean we're going to win it, but we were so ridiculously clinical and considering some of our absolutely terrible performances of the past we should be happy.

Plus, Belgium were 0-0 with them at half time, looking pretty awful, and it took a wonder goal to get Panama to open up a little bit which allowed them to create more chances. The coach said he wanted to get it to 0-0 at half time with us as well.

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Baffling is a good word.  Not used enough imo. 

I started replacing the world baffling with befuddling a few years ago and haven't looked back, would recommend.

3 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

I started replacing the world baffling with befuddling a few years ago and haven't looked back, would recommend.

I am befuddled at being excited about beating 2 poor sides.

Not sure Wigmore.  Although pleasantly surprised at it passing the auto-spellcheck! 

9 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Well that's that then. No point even enjoying still being in the tournament now.

Never learn though do you?

couple wins against poor sides and it is talk of winning the competition , then it ends up in failure.

Should be aiming for the quarter finals then talk about final from there.

Setting yourselves up for a 2nd round exit.

1 minute ago, Russell10 said:

Never learn though do you?

couple wins against poor sides and it is talk of winning the competition , then it ends up in failure.

Should be aiming for the quarter finals then talk about final from there.

Setting yourselves up for a 2nd round exit.

England fans aren't setting themselves up for anything. What we, or the papers say, has no bearing on how the squad perform on the pitch.

Russell10 seems to know the score

he's seen it all befooooore

he just knows

he's so sure

that England's gonna blow it away gonna throw it away

but I know they can play 

'cause I remember... 

20 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

England fans aren't setting themselves up for anything. What we, or the papers say, has no bearing on how the squad perform on the pitch.

Nah. We should all just shrug our shoulders and say "yeah but what's the point" and not even bother enjoying ourselves.

Archived