I'm going to start a FM save soon and i'm going to attempt to try and play the same way that Ajax did in 1995 while going on to win the European Cup and going the season unbeaten in the league. But i would like your help on what roles and duties you think i should attempt to go with?

I've watched the 1995 European cup final last night and made notes.

Formation - 3-3-1-3

Goalkeeper - Edwin van der Sar

He would always drop the ball and kick it short to nearest defender.

Defenders - Frank De Boer , Danny Blind, Michael Reiziger

The defensive line always seemed pretty high and both Frank De Boer & Michael Reiziger would mark a man each while Danny Blind (playing as a sweeper) would clean up any loose balls. I noticed that De Boer and Reiziger were very wide when in possession (ie in full back positions) The team would always play out from the back.

Defensive Midfield - Frank Rijkaard

This position seemed to be the most important in my view, Rikjaard had to have the tactical insight to make the right choices at the right times, ie Push up when in possession and make a decisive pass, when to play infront of the defence, but also when to drop deep and play alongside sweeper Danny Blind.

A midfield general who was tough tackling but had to contribute hugely to build up and attacking play.

Centre Midfield - Clarence Seedorf + Edgar Davids

Both of these players needed incredible Stamina and Strength to carry out the tasks that were needed to perform in this system and both players had it in abundance, What i noticed when watching the final was that both of these players would track the oppositon wingers when defending and i'm unsure how i would go about this on football manager? Van Gaal obviously told them to do this because of the space they would be leaving on the flanks. When in possession but would both would look to support attacks and play in vertical balls to the striker and run forward hopeful of a return pass.  They would never overlap the wingers.

Wingers - Marc Overmars & Finidi George

Ajax would use two lightning quick wingers and both of these would look to stay as wide as possible to create maximum space in the centre, They would only take on the defender if he was exposed but otherwise play a square ball to keep possession and circulate the ball to the other side.

Attacking midfielder - Jari Litmanen

Litmanen would drop deep to help out Rijkaard when the two MC'S (Davids and Seedorf) tracked the oppostion wingers so that the team would not be outnumbered in the centre of midfield. In attack he would be highly creative and sprint forward to support the striker and act as a second striker to Patrick Kluivert. Jari had very good off the ball movement.

Striker - Patrick Kluivert

Tall, strong and a very good finisher, He could come deep and hold the ball up for Litmanen to run into space but was also capable of staying up top and not being involved in any build up play to stay as a poacher inside the box.

This Ajax team was special and unique and contained a mixture of experience and enthusiastic youth, They played very quick football and possession & circulation of the ball was key. They would often shift the ball from one side of the pitch to the other to try and find space.

I am going to try and play with this formation on FM18 and would appreciate any advice on how i might apply this system in conjunction with the match engine.

thanks

ajax1.jpg

AJAX.jpg

On 25/06/2018 at 21:49, BusbyFergieJose said:

I think this is what i'm going to go with, both carrilero's man marking the opposition wide men.

do you think it could work?

tac.jpg

Libero? Could work, using one pushes the CB’s to full back positions. Failing that play 2 IWB-D’s with a covering CB

• 1 year later...

For me this team was something like this:

RP12eBi.jpg

Kluivert was mostly a SUB during that CL campaign. Litmanen or Kanu was often leading the line, completley diffrent profiles though.

I agree on a lot of roles, VDS I think was a sweeper keeper. Blind a regular sweeper. Rijkaard a playmaker. Davids and R. De Boer carrileros Overmars and George pure wingers. The AM maybe a regular AM on attack or support. Kanu a DLF and Litmanen probably a F9.

Edited by Djuicer

On 25/06/2018 at 21:49, BusbyFergieJose said:

I think this is what i'm going to go with, both carrilero's man marking the opposition wide men.

do you think it could work?

tac.jpg

Definitely a libero role for blind. I would say half back for rijKaard but not sure how that would act in font of a back 3. I’ve been working with a back 3. I use stay wide on the outside ones and it helps them build up and play like a fullback in early build up 

36 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Definitely a libero role for blind. I would say half back for rijKaard but not sure how that would act in font of a back 3. I’ve been working with a back 3. I use stay wide on the outside ones and it helps them build up and play like a fullback in early build up 

Blind was not a libero. He was a sweeper. And Rijkaard a Deep-lying playmaker.

Edited by crusadertsar

12 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

I remember the quick counter attacks and the circulation of the attackers up front ... those where the days

Blind is sweeper 

i watched the whole game earlier brought back great memories.

20 hours ago, latrell said:

Its really hard to get this working in fm i really find the davids and seedorf role is best used as inverted wing backs, and i agree with crusadertsar Blind was a sweeper.

22 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Blind was not a libero. He was a sweeper. And Rijkaard a Deep-lying playmaker.

The OP said that Rikjaard dropped into the back line to help blind out? And a sweeper isn’t available now? So libero with hold position would still drop and sweep?

Edited by SixPointer

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

The OP said that Rikjaard dropped into the back line to help blind out? And a sweeper isn’t available now? So libero with hold position would still drop and sweep?

I think he was referring to how they played in real life. I don't think we can recreate it exactly in the game. Like you said sweeper is not available any more and DLP (even on Defend duty does not drop between defenders). So maybe halfback would be right. It's just on paper Rijkaard was never called a halfback, but always a deep playmaker. I'm not sure if halfback would be creative enough and send long long passes to attack like Rijkaard did at times. Also Blind could be played as Libero to recreate the movement I guess. But as others mentioned he was never thought off as a libero.

I guess this is just the example of how sometimes the game can be challenging when it comes to recreating historic tactics. But it can be done as long as you are willing to compromise and bend history a little.

Edited by crusadertsar

11 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I think he was referring to how they played in real life. I don't think we can recreate it exactly in the game. Like you said sweeper is not available any more and DLP (even on Defend duty does not drop between defenders). So maybe halfback would be right. It's just on paper Rijkaard was never called a halfback, but always a deep playmaker. I'm not sure if halfback would be creative enough and send long long passes to attack like Rijkaard did at times. Also Blind could be played as Libero to recreate the movement I guess. But as others mentioned he was never thought off as a libero.

I guess this is just the example of how sometimes the game can be challenging when it comes to recreating historic tactics. But it can be done as long as you are willing to compromise and bend history a little.

Very much so. It’s what I like about it tho. It sparks up debate. Also makes for a good challenge. 

Looking forward!

Have been watching the whole CL Campaign which ended in the triumph of Vienna. A key role has been Jari Litmanen who was a playmaking striker coming from the deep. Usually he got none in front of him, sometimes the 18 year old Kluivert, sometimes Kanu and Kluivert play instead of Litmanen. Also in the attacking roles: Finidi, Ronald De Boer and Rijkaard coming from the deep. Whereas young Davids and Seedorf seem to play holding roles in midfield.

I remember that the Ajax side which lost the Final against Juventus in 1996 was playing a different style of football.  

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Coincidentally this topic has been alot on my mind for the last week. Its the topic of my next Total Football article which I'll post on Monday. 

would be great to see a good write up about this, its became a obsession for me right now, so i cant wait till Monday. 

51 minutes ago, HanziZoloman said:

Looking forward!

Have been watching the whole CL Campaign which ended in the triumph of Vienna. A key role has been Jari Litmanen who was a playmaking striker coming from the deep. Usually he got none in front of him, sometimes the 18 year old Kluivert, sometimes Kanu and Kluivert play instead of Litmanen. Also in the attacking roles: Finidi, Ronald De Boer and Rijkaard coming from the deep. Whereas young Davids and Seedorf seem to play holding roles in midfield.

I remember that the Ajax side which lost the Final against Juventus in 1996 was playing a different style of football.  

Litmanen was amazing i cant believe how good he was for Ajax, shame injury ruined his time at Barcelona. i have also watch the whole Cl campaign ive been trying to find some of there league games that year as well. 

On 02/05/2020 at 13:38, latrell said:

Litmanen was amazing i cant believe how good he was for Ajax, shame injury ruined his time at Barcelona. i have also watch the whole Cl campaign ive been trying to find some of there league games that year as well. 

One of my favourite players of the 90s and one the last great Classic #10s. And even so much more than that. The fact that he scored something like 90 goals in 150 games for Ajax shows how special he was.  But yeah unfortunately he was the shadow of his Ajax form at Barca. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2020 at 12:42, HanziZoloman said:

Looking forward!

Hey - how were you able to find the CL games from that year? ive been wanting to do the same - please let me know :)

On 24/06/2018 at 06:03, Jean0987654321 said:

Ozil tried and made a great emulation of this tactic. Maybe you should take a peek at his interpretation

Good luck! :thup:

I'd suggest being very clear about exactly what you're trying to re-create. Van Gaal's Ajax is often considered to play the same style as the Total Football Ajax sides by virtue of being the same team and Cruyff's Barcelona by virtue of playing the same formation; but it's important to understand that whilst there are similarities there are also differences.

You can see a little bit from the players, particularly Kluivert/Kanu up front - clearly more out-and-out strikers, than the False 9s used by the earlier Ajax and Barcelona sides - and Edgar Davids, nicknamed "Pitbull" - again, a different style of midfielder.

David Winner's Brilliant Orange talks about how the van Gaal style was more structured and direct than the typical Dutch style.

Then, there are also clearly similarities as well with players like Rijkaard, the de Boers, Seedorf, Litmanen etc.