Sports Interactive Community

So, as the title says I want to attempt to have a save with the 3-6-1 formation.   I bet you're wondering where I got the idea from.  Well I got it from listening to the podcast series "American Fiasco" by Roger Bennett (one half of the Men in Blazers), it is a story regarding the rise of the USMNT in the mid-late 90s and the failure to capitalize on positive momentum in the 1998 World Cup in France.  I urge everyone to listen to it weather or not they are a fan of the USMNT, it is a fascinating and gripping series.  Here is a link to listen: https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/american-fiasco

Part of the failure was the USMNT Head Coach at the time (Sampson), after drawing Germany in the WC draw, became fascinated with employing this 3-6-1 formation that USA was not suited to play as they had gotten out of the group stages in 94' and 4th in the Copa America using the 4-4-2.  They went out to play Germany in the first group stage game with the intent of smothering their midfield via sheer amount of players and holding possession.  They lost 2-0, ironically it was Klinsmann who scored the 2nd goal  to put the game away.  The manager (Sampson), abandoned this 3-6-1 only a month and a half after trying to employ it.  It is an incredibly difficult system to run but I want to do it better!

I want to do a club job, I will choose a team at a later date but I am admittedly not very good tactically on the game so the roles of the players and any player instructions I am totally lost on and would love some help.  The idea would be 3 defenders, 2 DMs, 2 CMS, 2 wing backs and 1 striker, maybe the goalkeeper on sweeper duty due to the nature of how I want to play?  I have this goal in mind of playing a super high line employing the offsides trap and possessing the ball, akin to what I normally play in my saves.

There you have it, any ideas would be appreciated and welcome!

EDIT: I play on FM 17

Edited by drewedborg12

Way back in earlier versions (12 & earlier) the AI frequently used to adopt a 361 when defending.

These were 2 most common basic structures, however roles and duties were much harder to work out back then

it was the era of long/short/side arrows after all :)

iirc they were nicknamed "dagger" & "xmas tree"

3-6-1.png

Edited by RodentofDoom

On 24/06/2018 at 06:20, RodentofDoom said:

Way back in earlier versions (12 & earlier) the AI frequently used to adopt a 361 when defending.

These were 2 most common basic structures, however roles and duties were much harder to work out back then

it was the era of long/short/side arrows after all :)

iirc they were nicknamed "dagger" & "xmas tree"

3-6-1.png

These look very cool. What TI, PI, Structure, and Mentalities do you use for these?

To be honest I haven't used them since FM 12 and I could never get them working very well then (though I have thought about it a few times).

The AI always seemed to manage however :D

They are at their heart defensive formations so highly aggressive risk taking doesn't really suit them.

The way the AI used them back then … I'd say Fluid + Counter/Defend/Contain

The lone striker could just as easily be given the DF role, an AMC could be given a playmaker role .. nothing in the image is definitive, it's just my interpretation of what the AI used to do 6 years ago using a completely different system from what we have today. 

Play was mostly through the centre .. and long probing/clearance balls were common.

TI's and PI's are as always going to be dependant on the players you have available.

I didn't buy 13-17 so the changes from sliders to roles & duties was a bit sudden for me.

Edited by RodentofDoom

On 23/06/2018 at 00:37, drewedborg12 said:

The idea would be 3 defenders, 2 DMs, 2 CMS, 2 wing backs and 1 striker, maybe the goalkeeper on sweeper duty due to the nature of how I want to play?  I have this goal in mind of playing a super high line employing the offsides trap and possessing the ball, akin to what I normally play in my saves.

There you have it, any ideas would be appreciated and welcome!

EDIT: I play on FM 17

Maybe this would work for you (provided you are using appropriate TIs, PIs, mentality & shape):

F9

CMa    BtBM

WBs    ACM   DLPs    WBa

CDc   CDd   CDc

SWKs

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

F9

CMa    BtBM

WBs    ACM   DLPs    WBa

CDc   CDd   CDc

SWKs

Same sort of thing as I'd suggest

Also I'd look at this thread where several of us discussed the 3-6-1.