Brazil vs Costa Rica, Friday, 1pm BST

PMLF

This will be the second game of Brazil and Costa Rica. Both disappointed in their debut games.

Danilo is injured, so Fagner (Corinthians) will start instead.

FIFA preview: https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/preview-brazil-v-costa-rica

Probable lineups:

Brazil: Alisson; Fagner, Thiago Silva, Miranda, Marcelo; Casemiro, Paulinho; Willian, Philippe Coutinho, Neymar; Gabriel Jesus.

Costa Rica: Keylor Navas, Francisco Calvo, Oscar Duarte, Johnny Acosta, Giancarlo González, Cristian Gamboa, Celso Borges, David Guzman, Bryan Ruíz, Johan Venegas, Marco Ureña.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FaceCrusher said:

Easy win for Brazil. Me thinks.

In theory yes, in practice who knows. Neymar won't be 100%, and Costa Rica will certainly be all in defense,

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I don't think Tite should risk Neymar. It could really backfire.

On the other hand, if Neymar doesn't play and we don't win, he will be in trouble.

Yeah not 1 big team has impressed, they should just call the whole thing off at this point.

Maybe on Sunday just let Russia play Mexico in the 'final', regardless of the score just give the trophy to Russia because they paid for the party.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

In theory yes, in practice who knows. Neymar won't be 100%, and Costa Rica will certainly be all in defense, 

To be honest Neymar was poor against Switzerland, but if there's a team that can open up a parked bus in this tournament, it's Brazil.

Unless they decide to play at walking pace after the 1st goal again, I wouldn't be worried.

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Did you miss the first week of the tournament?

No big side has had it easy against the smaller nations. 

I did and I keep my opinion. Brazil could have easily won 3-0 or 4-0 if they tried to play football after the goal.

1 minute ago, FaceCrusher said:

To be honest Neymar was poor against Switzerland, but if there's a team that can open up a parked bus in this tournament, it's Brazil.

Unless they decide to play at walking pace after the 1st goal again, I wouldn't be worried.

I did and I keep my opinion. Brazil could have easily won 3-0 or 4-0 if they tried to play football after the goal.

They can of course win 3/4-0 as you say but I'll go with a more conservative 2-0 win in line with the rest of the tournament so far. 

1 minute ago, ryan045 said:

Can’t say I’ve heard of Fagner. What’s he like then?

Pretty short full back, typical Brazilian full back too, attacks well, doesn't defend well, good speed and technique (not Neymar-level technique though).

Should do all right tomorrow.

This game should have been swapped with Serbia Switzerland. Better for timezones and all that, it'll be like 8am local time kickoff for these two? Giving these two nations Friday afternoon off so they can watch this down the pub at about 2pm local time would be better than having to watch it while having breakfast.

3 minutes ago, av3ry said:

This game should have been swapped with Serbia Switzerland. Better for timezones and all that, it'll be like 8am local time kickoff for these two? Giving these two nations Friday afternoon off so they can watch this down the pub at about 2pm local time would be better than having to watch it while having breakfast.

Yes, 9 am in Brazil, even earlier in Costa Rica.

This might be a little controversial but i think that Brazil would play way better without Neymar on the pitch. Their play will be much more fluid, much more faster with Costa on the left. There will not be any unnecessary dribbles and f****ng around trying to go through 3-4 opposition defenders. There'll be no suffocating the game. 

Aha, the Delicious Coast! My most favourite team of 2014 taking on the big dogs.

I fancy them to create some more footballing shockwaves with an upset here. I'm saying 1-0 to the Delicious Coast!

Just now, Nordan said:

Once again I'm saying 3-0, you have been warned. :)

The question here is, who will win by that score: Brazil or Costa Rica?

1 minute ago, Nordan said:

He should be sacked if he plays Firmino because Conor says so. It's on Tite's head if things don't work out, it's only fair he gets to pick the team imo. :)

Yes, Conor knows all, he knows 'Bobby' is the best!

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Could you imagine if only Uruguay from South America made it to the KO rounds? Argentina on the brink, Brazil unconvincing, Colombia bettered by Japan, Peru out already.

It would be embarrassing for South America!

Also for Brazil, we haven't been eliminated in the group stage since 1966.

Just now, PMLF said:

It would be embarrassing for South America!

Also for Brazil, we haven't been eliminated in the group stage since 1966.

CONMEBOL will have to do some serious soul searching - maybe they might need to expand if there's a sense that the current 10 members have gotten complacent.

Just now, Heartwork said:

Brazil a bit like Portugal with two ageing CBs which could cost them.

Yes, ideally Marquinhos should start instead of Thiago Silva.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Yes, ideally Marquinhos should start instead of Thiago Silva.

It's a problem I've noticed in a lot of teams, especially the hispanic teams, where the majority of their squads are players the wrong side of 30. Only 3 or 4 young players. Almost makes me have a cautious cause for optimism for England who have gone with a considerably younger squad and that may pay dividends later in the tournament as older players start to feel the strain of playing so much football without a break from the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Could you imagine if only Uruguay from South America made it to the KO rounds? Argentina on the brink, Brazil unconvincing, Colombia bettered by Japan, Peru out already.

Brazil looked better than Switzerland so I'm not sure why we're getting excited about Brazil being eliminated.

Neymar's done well so far :D

1 minute ago, Nordan said:

Wagner Fagner same thing I imagine, for us non-brazilians at least?

Yes, Fagner is a variation of Wagner, both are pretty common in Brazil.

Archived