The Circle of Fitness Activists

noikeee

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Champions League group stage - match 6

3gKPc3r.jpg 

I knew playing against Benfica, even if at home, wouldn't be easy... except it was. This is outrageous! I'm loving the defensive 4-1-4-1! We benefitted from an owngoal in a quick counter early on, and then just dominated the match, against the odds. We limited Benfica to very few shots for a while, and in the 2nd half we opened up a shocking 3-0 advantage. Later on they'd score but so would we, finishing a bonkers 4-1 win. Even better than that, thanks to Spartak losing at home to Anderlecht, we didn't just qualify for the CL knockouts, we qualified in first place as seeds. :D

8qppaWF.jpg 

0Kmh0ah.jpg 

Drawing Partizan would've been brilliant. :D Unfortunately we'll have to play Liverpool. Not much of a chance there on paper, but after the many miracles this team has pulled off this season, who knows.

V2HPcCO.png

Mid-season update 2020/2021

hrm3dx5.jpg 

center%5D 

2 defeats in the league (both times against Diósgyör!) and a surprisingly competitive Ferencváros side this season, has made the league campaign a bit closer than I was expecting, but a 3-0 win over Ferencváros in the last match before the winter break, opened up the points lead to a more comfortable 7 points. With the CL campaign I've had very few chances to play a full strenght, fully rested first 11 in the league, so I'm pretty happy with this.

In the cup we progress even after playing mostly our third string side with youngsters.

KcMJ49E.jpg

Now, having being blessed with bags of Champions League money, we've already splashed quite a lot on many prospects that will join us in January!

S2OcoeB.jpg 

I'm not super convinced about him, but we badly needed new faces for the DC position and he's one of the most promising Hungarian CBs even if the potential isn't very high. 160K€ deal.

eiV8Wfl.jpg 

A MUCH better CB! We've only just completed this deal, the issue here is that he's Serbian so yet another non-EU player, plus he can't play in the CL this season due to already having played for Partizan, and I would've also liked more pace ideally, but overall he's too good to pass up. 575K€ deal.

2gY6JV7.jpg 

Long term punt for the MR position, being the Hungarian national team manager I got a little info about the most promising youngsters for the national team and he stood out. However, even he's not that good... I don't think the future for Hungary looks that promising! 25K€ compensation fee.

hclXie8.jpg 

Another similar long term punt for the MR position, but he's Romanian. 115K€ deal.

2pS8Gxy.jpg 

But NOW we're talking! This Bulgarian ML is slightly unbalanced as I'd have liked better dribbling at least, but with superb pace, acceleration, crossing, determination, and generally decent base skills at everything else, I'm expecting him to slot in as ML/AML immediately. 1M€ deal.

0jNUqkB.jpg 

But I left the best for the end, yes I hired 4 wingers for January (but these last 2 should be part of the first team). This Croatian youngster is an extraordinary winger IMO, I believe he'll become the best player in the team. 1.5M€ fee in what becomes the club's most expensive transfer ever.

On 12/07/2018 at 20:06, noikeee said:

6qcodh.jpg

And this is the defensive tactic, just in case anyone's curious. Still have the occasional PIs here and there which remain from the main tactic, such as BBM/S told to get further forward too, lots of "shoot less" for lots of players, etc, and my usual set pieces.

Defensive football? eww, gross, boo!!!

WeepyLeafyIndochinahogdeer-max-1mb.gif

A little idea for people managing national teams:

jTunacq.jpg 

(FAD=fading, PR=prospect, BIGPR=big prospect)

Took me quite a bit of time to set up this spreadsheet but now I've got a much better idea of who the hell is good and for which position. So now every time I need to call up players I can just give a quick look at the spreadsheet and compare, and be certain that I don't missed out on anyone (a big issue in international management in FM IMO). If someone's injured I just move to the next man in the pecking order for each position. Ideally it'll be pretty quick/easy to maintain the spreadsheet as the seasons go through, as all I have to do, now that the big work is done, is just drag and drop players one over another, when I change opinion on a player (or when a player develops or fades etc).

This for me is much more useful than just having a look at the national pool, because here I've got it registered who's the best option for each position according to my opinion. Whereas on the national pool, I can sort by CA but that'll be the assman's opinion. And it's arranged by position so if there's a player that's good in 6 positions, in here I'll have him only in the position I'm intending to use him, whereas on the national pool it's just a giant mess as he'll show up for every position.

I wish there was some kind of option to do this in-game rather than have to do a spreadsheet, but I can understand everyone's got a different way of managing an international side, and this wouldn't necessarily fit most people's playing style.

tfDK0cQ.jpg

First match for MTK from Cristian Capusa. I know it's just a cup match against a 2nd tier team but ****ing hell. :D As if the match for him hadn't been eventful enough, he even got injured at the end. :D 

A spreadsheet definitely helps. Especially when just staring out - I'll use one at clubs when I'm just starting out, sorting who to move on, promote from the youth teams, etc.  Like it!

Champions League 1st knockout round (round of 16)

jcCoeyA.jpg cYck1LD.jpg

The first leg in Anfield, it seemed nothing we did could stop the storm of chances after chances Liverpool were creating. They scored twice early on and dominated the match. Crucially, however, we still looked occasionally dangerous, scored an away goal, and they missed a penalty kick late on keeping the result at a respectable 3-1.

It still looked difficult to overcome in Budapest, but we had yet another shock performance to pull off in Europe this season. Liverpool didn't come to Budapest to score more, and we took advantage of this to play legitimately better than them. By half-time it was still 0-0 as we squandered chances, only for Ivan Tejic to come out of the bench shortly after the break to put in a brilliant performance - within 15 minutes of being on the pitch he had scored twice and put us ahead on away goals! Liverpool now had to work for it, and quite frankly we were now more than a bit fortunate to hold on to it. There was, so the commentators said, a clear penalty shout for Liverpool on minute 84 that the ref didn't give. And although we scored again in the 87th, another Liverpool goal would've taken it to extra time and Denkovic pulled off a miracle save in injury time to give us the win.

We're in the CL quarter-finals!

EVPDV1W.jpg

... and we break a Real Madrid record, too. :D 

8 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

impressive stuff man

5 minutes ago, john1 said:

Cracking win over Liverpool :eek: Good to see you smashed Real Madrid record in Champions League :applause:

I just don't know wtf is happening this season anymore. :D 

And the quarter-finals opponents are....

aMqjOpn.jpg

The best option possible of the remaining teams. :D Do we still have more miracles this season in our pocket?

World Cup Qualifying

TPPlV1q.jpgEmvcfYJ.jpg 

We kick off WC qualifying with a rather tricky match against Wales - a lost opportunity here IMO, as this is the "big" team we have most chances to beat overall in the group, yet despite playing slightly better than them, we could only draw 1-1, thanks to an equaliser by my MTK forward Gábor Kitl.

After the match however I got this very annoying message:

IeXf7SR.jpg 

I seem to be blamed by the game of the failure in the Nations League, although I only managed there for 1 single match against Kosovo, which I won. The previous manager had lost every single match before. Sigh.

Then onto the Malta match, which I had to win to avoid the sack apparently, we ran comfortable 2-0 winners with 2 goals from 20 year olds: Dominik Szoboszlai and Kevin Csoboth.

wtI1yiW.jpg 

Early days here in the group but the split between the "proper" sides and the weak sides seems apparent already. The home draw with Wales might cost us down the line.

International debuts

dzunWHV.jpg 

The only player to get his debut here was Gábor Kitl's backup for MTK upfront, Zoltán Tóth, who got the start against Malta as Kitl was tired. He was... awful. Missed several clear chances!

11 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Just discovered this thread, and your outstanding work. Well done, man.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, adamdfry said:

Great result against Liverpool, will do absolute wonders for the Hungarian coefficient!

Don't underestimate Valencia though :D

We're trying as hard as we can to raise those coefficients, but sadly the league is so far down (33rd! behind the likes of Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan!) that even a big intake of points like this doesn't seem to make much difference. Hungary's on course to rise to 25nd or so thanks to this campaign, but even then that's not worth any more qualifying slots, or any better start for the Hungarian champion than the very 1st CL preliminary round!

I see you're managing Valencia, I was managing them too before I abandoned my previous career and started this. :) 

Champions League quarter-finals

FSNqGwN.jpgqI158Fj.jpg 

In Budapest, it looked as if we ran out of luck. If in previous rounds, there had been the little streak of luck here and there that allowed us to get a result when we'd been a little inferior, this time the roll of the dice went our opponents. It was a valiant performance from our lads who matched Valencia and had as many chances as them, but two Simone Zaza goals got them a precious win and 2 away goals, even if Ivalylo Dimov scored from a great volley, his first MTK goal.

And in the 2nd leg in Spain we just never had a chance. Their right-winger Ferran Torres terrorized Veselin Todorovic, constantly winning the byline, and Zaza scored twice again. We got a goal to make it 2-1 again, but Valencia had been well superior and deserve to go through. Our epic European run is over.

V2HPcCO.png

End of season update 2020/2021

Transfers

W6P1Al2.jpg 

gG9NcDB.jpg 
975UOr3.jpg

Distracted by Europe, we dropped the ball in the league and at a stage we had Videoton closing by on us, and only a 4 point lead. At the end Videoton went on a mini bad form run and we won the league with a few matches in advance anyway, 7 point gap.

The cup was easier, we just rampaged past everyone including an aggregate 11-1 win in the semi-final - tbf Gyirmót are on the third tier, a remarkable achievement for them to reach the semi-finals. In the final we just smashed Debrecen 4-0 with a Milan Senic hat-trick.

But of course what this season will be remembered for is the Champions League run, from the very 1st preliminary round to the quarter-finals... Celtic, HJK, Sparta Praha, RB Salzburg, Anderlecht, Benfica, Spartak Moscow, Liverpool, we beat them all.

ooiQHWa.jpgWt3tQ5X.jpg

EJai6FC.jpg

V2HPcCO.png

Squad review 2020/2021

Best 11

ggUzyKG.jpg

cfsV1GX.jpg

GK - Vladimir Denkovic
sd11TB6.jpg 
A wonderful signing, the 19 year old Serbian goalkeeper is far from having maxed out his potential yet. He could be something amazing.

DR - Antal Sáfár
G8BRzCO.jpg 
According to my staff now the best player on the squad outright on his own, no longer on par with others. A really, really good pacey right-back. 9 assists in a great season in which he got the highest ratings from my defenders.

DL - Veselin Todorovic
cgs7hY8.jpg 
A good first season for the club in a backline that's looking increasingly Serbian, but there was the odd mistake here and there in Europe and my staff think he's met his potential. Still a very good player already at the age of 19.

DC - Máté Komáromi
0PadKR2.jpg 
An important player for my national side, he should dedicate himself more to training if he's to reach the potential he has on paper. Sadly I'm starting to doubt he'll make use of it - just doesn't have the right personality.

DC - Dragoljub Vukajlovic
P4j78a7.jpg 
Yet another Serbian, and another signing this season, he ended up not playing that much because he was cup-tied for the Champions League, but he's now the best centre-back in the club.

DM - Ádám Vass
qLNPaHG.jpg 
Aged 32, he's now at the verge of losing his place in the team and I'm starting to question whether Donát Horgosi, a CB I adapted to DM (but still use as CB for the national team), is better than him, as he loses pace.

MC - Veljko Nikolic
1I293j2.jpg 
My starting duo of midfielders did not have great ratings this season (due to playing so many European matches - their backups like Koszta and Patrik Vass got much better numbers thanks to playing in the league against poorer opposition week in week out), and Nikolic was strangely subdued, but a late season good run of form in the league after we got knocked out of the CL got his rating up to 7.32. He's no longer looking like a special player, and watch out since I'm about to hire a few midfielders to give him competition.

MC - Georgi Krastev YP18A
5CDFuWc.jpg 
Much like Nikolic he really didn't have a particularly great season (in fact ended with worse ratings, 7.20), and now my staff think he has reached his potential. Still attracted the interest of West Ham and half of Ligue 1, which is pretty impressive for a former youth intake player!

AMR - Ivan Tejic
0Drsx3L.jpg 
The serious competition for winger positions that I hired in January (Ivaylo Dimov and Viktor Babic) threatened his position and Senic's on the left, but ultimately I decided the players I already had were performing better, if not  looked quite as good on paper. Still Tejic got 12 goals and 13 assists (that's joint most assists in the squad), including 7 Champions League goals, and he's still improving his skills, so he really has good chances to continue featuring in the first team even as Dimov and Babic gel better.

AML - Milan Senic
XmYhKeF.jpg 
I'm more doubtful on Senic's long-term first team status on the other wing as he has less impressive outstanding skills, however he had quite bonkers goalscoring numbers this season, 23 goals!! Plus 10 assists. I've no idea what made him so prolific, impressive.

ST - Gábor Kitl 
Ye7txPN.jpg 
Despite Senic's impressive numbers and all the new talent on the wing, the star of our attack is now Kitl upfront, he's becoming a fearsome striker, has won the position for me at national team level as well, and just about became top scorer with 24 goals despite missing a few months due to injury. 9 goals in the Champions League!!!

Rest of the squad and hottest prospects

ALRfFTC.jpg

AMR - Viktor Babic
zRB2syu.jpg 
January's club record signing (1.5M€) didn't quite impress enough just yet to hold down a first team slot, but it's coming soon, surely? On paper our best winger now.

AML - Ivaylo Dimov
fjJizUa.jpg 
The other incredible new winger, but a lack of dribbling is a real concern in my tactic that features IFs, which I think just doesn't suit him a lot. Still he's so talented that surely is eventually going to perform no matter what.

ST - Róbert Fedor YP20A
79F7c4o.jpg 
Last year's broken leg almost killed the career of our youth academy's biggest prospect, but he seems to now be coming back to life, although he lost pace which is absolutely critical, plus he also lost his place as 3rd striker for a while to another prospect, Roland Kovács YP20C (and that lad got 10 goals). Fedor's potential still remains sky high and I hope he can reach it.

Career progress table

Lts0Xsp.jpg 

Qd9SANs.jpg

Wow, a pretty remarkable individual award for Ivan Tejic. Alongside Vukajlovic, Todorovic and Denkovic, these 4 of our Serbians reached the U20 World Cup final after beating Argentina and England - but lost the final to Mexico.

World Cup Qualifying

04ZM3V6.jpg F4wMBn3.jpg

Hosting Spain we really, really struggled. I think my 4-1-4-1 defensive tactic might not be quite as solid against a 4-4-2 because that's what Valencia came with at us in the Champions League, and now what Spain used against the national side. To be fair it is Spain, a much better side, but we just had no chance, well beaten and could only score one very late in the match.

In Serbia it was more frustration, because this time we held them off to a 0-0 draw quite confidently for 92 minutes until a Milinkovic-Savic freekick beat us. Nevertheless, it had been a far better performance.

5YmtHho.jpg

Not looking very likely that we'll be in Australia for the World Cup unfortunately. Spain, Serbia and Wales have already opened up a big gap and we would need something special to still make it to 2nd and a playoff spot.

17 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Pity you couldn't get past Valencia. 

Tbf we had already quite a bonkers run, if we kept winning something was just wrong with this game. :D This way it's a challenge at least.

1 hour ago, Slipky said:

Loving MTK as they're usually identified with the Jewish population in the country. Good luck Noikeee!

Ha interesting, I had no idea, I did wander around a bit the Jewish corner of Budapest when I visited but didn't know MTK were "their" club.

Champions League 1st Qualifying Phase

1F2RHX4.jpg I T6kwO9g.jpg 

I thought the 1st leg was a bit crap? 3 goals from 40 shots is a poor return.

The 2nd leg in Gibraltar was much more like it - big fat 9-0 win, and Gábor Kitl scoring 6 by himself (2 were penalties).

t2sADe8.jpg

We're off to Slovenia for the next one.

8 hours ago, rodesire said:

great effort so far!  how are your unsettled players? anyone leaving yet?

Nobody left yet, they're starting to get pissed off though, Komáromi made a formal transfer request (which I rejected) and Kitl wants out too.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

Nobody left yet, they're starting to get pissed off though, Komáromi made a formal transfer request (which I rejected) and Kitl wants out too.

do you think hidden attributes affect players' performance when they are unsettled? I know some players just get on with it and play well, others just have a decline in form.

V2HPcCO.png

Pre-season 2021/2022

Transfers

wEnRRWb.jpg 

3 new midfielders and 1 new right-back.

Amej7FH.jpg 

A physically imposing 19 year old Slovakian MC who I got for free.

56XJL5W.jpg 

.... but then I found out about this 17 year old Polish MC who looked even better, specially if you imagine what he'll be like once he hits his potential.

YgsxXHz.jpg 

... and then I found out about this 19 year old Romanian MC, who I think might just be better than the previous 2 guys in both ability and potential - splashed 1.6M€ on him. And this is how I ended up with 3 new MCs and not that much space to play them.

Cr7wo0X.jpg 

Meanwhile, what's not to like about this Croatian right-back that I got in for free? Probably won't steal Safar's place at RB as Safar's immense, but he's a very nice backup to have.

emdrNYK.jpg

Gotta love a good old 16-0 drubbing to get morale up.

On 17/07/2018 at 21:46, kidthekid said:

do you think hidden attributes affect players' performance when they are unsettled? I know some players just get on with it and play well, others just have a decline in form.

To some extent maybe, but I believe the biggest effect is how easily they get unsettled in the first place.

Champions League 2nd Qualifying Phase

rWn5sVm.jpgrdZEPB2.jpg 

It was a shock start to the game in Slovenia as we found ourselves losing from early on, but although Maribor's 4-4-2 diamond surprisingly created a bunch of chances against us, we regrouped after dropping the DM to the CB line and becoming effectively a 5-2-3, and eventually won the game 3-2.

The 2nd leg was much easier with a straightforward 3-0 win and off we go to the next round.

QijYeum.jpg 

A Lithuanian team! Our path through the preliminary rounds so far seems ridiculously easier than last year. :D

Champions League 3rd Qualifying Phase

5TPXT8V.jpgKE18c32.jpg 

A very uninspired first leg performance saw a goalless first half, and then scandalously, a Zalgiris equalizing away goal. We did still win this game 2-1 but it was unconvincing and a dangerous result to take to Lithuania.

The tension remained in the 2nd leg until finally Viktor Babic scored right after the break, adding another slightly later on. This ended a 2-1 win again but we squandered quite a few chances in what, behind the scoreline, had been a far more positive match. Ultimately this tie wasn't as comfortable as I expected, but we proceed to the playoff.

dkQugGv.jpg 

Only Slovan Bratislava remain in our path to the CL groups.

On 16/07/2018 at 16:38, noikeee said:

Ha interesting, I had no idea, I did wander around a bit the Jewish corner of Budapest when I visited but didn't know MTK were "their" club.

Franklin Foer mentioned it in How Football Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization. Great book, by the way.

GL in the UCL!

Champions League Playoff

YxVxxN8.jpg jBwY6LX.jpg

In Bratislava, we simply put in our best performance in Europe so far this season - an absolutely devastating 5-0 win, and nobody could possibly deny we were the better side.

In the 2nd leg, complacency kicked in and we could only get a 1-1 draw, the first official match this season that didn't end with a win for us (we had 13 wins in 13). Disappointing but nevertheless that didn't really matter as we comfortably qualify for the group stage.

fFcgM97.jpg

... only to have to face this absolutely horrendous group.

16 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Solid work in qualifying, man. Bratislava should be right up your alley.

Well Bratislava is close to Budapest, but right up the alley might be exaggerating a bit. :D 

10 hours ago, Slipky said:

Franklin Foer mentioned it in How Football Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization. Great book, by the way.

GL in the UCL!

Never heard of the book, will have to look it up.

5 hours ago, rodesire said:

**** yeah, beat Zalgiris all day every day :cool:

Ha, bit of a Lithuanian rivalry eh? :D To be honest I haven't been really reading the forums lately, haven't kept up with what you're doing there.

And we lose our best attacking player on deadline day, wonder striker Gábor Kitl. :( 

iefV31C.jpg

0EThVVd.jpg

9n8synS.jpg

Irreplaceable. Will continue to feature for me in the national team for sure as the starting striker.

World Cup Qualifying

0IE15Ns.jpg3YKKuSo.jpg 

In Wales, we performed our defensive bus thing and got a goal against the run of play, only for Wales to equalize and basically make us suffer all match as they were superior. Then in the 94th minute Roland Sallai scores a screamer from outside the area to give us an important win! Bit of a robbery but we won't mind!

In the Faroes, a slow first half and a red card to Ádám Nagy (saw two yellows) made me fear the worse, but we got the routine 3-0 win we expected.

UjWIQHd.jpg 

We move above Wales and start putting a little pressure on Serbia for 2nd. We still have it up against us in qualifying, specially since the 2nd placed teams no longer go to playoffs but only the 3 best 2nd placed (most points) from a whole 10 groups qualify. Tricky to get to that 2nd place nevermind get into one of the best 2nd places. But if we can somehow steal a win over Serbia in November....

International debuts

Icl4GxO.jpg 

New squad LB, not particularly too talented but our 2nd best option now for the position. The media is unimpressed with him and thinks he shouldn't be called up.

World Cup Qualifying

TURt0FR.jpg RLlIvfI.jpg

Against Malta I decided to rotate the 11 to have fitter players for the tougher match with Spain. It worked as we ran very comfortable 5-0 winners.

However this didn't help us against Spain anyway. We were far from embarrassed, but a 3-0 defeat is what happens when we face a superior team and they take their chances.

af7Hday.jpg

A Serbia-Wales draw truly did open up a window here for us to possibly overtake Serbia for 2nd as we face them next. That would be brilliant, but 2nd place guarantees nothing, in fact it seems pretty unlikely to give us qualification even if we make that place, which is a shame.

On 19/07/2018 at 20:35, noikeee said:

Ha, bit of a Lithuanian rivalry eh? :D To be honest I haven't been really reading the forums lately, haven't kept up with what you're doing there.

I had managed Zalgiris back in FM12 in a fantastic journey to become Europa League champions but have loathed them in my new saves :D 

Great job with the national team, btw!

Champions League Group Stage - rounds 1, 2 and 3

cPrrMgg.jpg bHHeabV.jpg rtXHcV4.jpg

We kicked off the group stage with a spectacular match in Italy, that nearly ended with what would've been a memorable win. This proved to be a highly entertaining tactical battle as Napoli lined up on a ultra-attacking flat 3-4-3 tactic and our defensive 4-1-4-1 could not cope with it, not even after I pushed back the DM to become another CB, so I just switched to our regular controlling 4-3-3 and turned the match around, gaining a sensational 3-1 lead. Napoli were forced to revert to a more stable 4-2-3-1 but desperate for a goal in the final minutes, reverted to the 3-4-3 again and our tired legs could not cope with it anymore, and 89th and 92nd minute goals by Denswil salvaged a draw for Napoli! 3-3!

We bettered that with a deserved 1-0 win at home over Villarreal. Early goal, controlled the game, and MTK up to the top of the group! In a group with Spanish, Italian and French sides! Mental!

However then we got a serious dose of reality in Paris. PSG blessed with a gloriously talented attack meaturing Neymar, Mbappé, Lemar and Amiri, plus Vinicius Jr out of the bench, toyed with us at will and beat us 4-1.

KLj3Rzn.jpg

The Paris result means we suddenly drop from 1st to 4th, but with all teams having 4 points, anything can happen here. Given the strenght of the opposition I can probably already be happy with the 4 points I got, but why not try to aim at an Europa League slot? I suspect Villarreal might be slightly weaker than PSG and Napoli and drop the ball giving us an opening.

Archived