Sports Interactive Community
GunmaN1905

Argentina - Croatia, Thursday, 7pm BST

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, I bitched about Sampaoli for about 6 months and certain members in here said I was crying.

Oh well.

Barely anybody said that ffs. Always playing the justified card even when you hold the same opinion as 90% of us.

2 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

All you ****ers saying they're out bite your tongues please, Nigeria are gash but Iceland do have to win a game for the Argies to be out otherwise it is still in their hands ffs :seagull:

This... I swear some people can't do simple maths.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Barely anybody said that ffs. Always playing the justified card even when you hold the same opinion as 90% of us.

I remember a certain member with Italian flag as his profile picture.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but if Croatia does more than Portugal on WC, Modrić has a case for Ballon.

:lol: 

It'll be the usual two, again.

7 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I didn't say he should have been best player, but you're on another planet if you didn't think he at least had one good game ffs :D

It's absolute revisionism to pretend Messi has never played well for Argentina. This is a dreadful, dreadful team with absolutely zero tactical plan and yes, Ronaldo would look just as anonymous in it as well.

Probably not the best wording in the original post but my point was has he ever played a game in a WC that a player of his talents should?

Not for me. 

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Probably not the best wording in the original post but my point was has he ever played a game in a WC that a player of his talents should?

Not for me. 

They wouldn't have got through to the final without him, but ok.

Portugal lack quality sure but they have a plan, decent full backs and a good strong midfield midfield plus Ronnie who always seems to turn up at NT level.

Argentina are badly coached, weak or old everywhere other than in attack and I bet subconciously know they rely on Messi.

Just now, HOORAY HENRIK said:

You’d have to waterboard some people for them to admit Messi has been garbage.

Nobody is arguing he hasn't been garbage.

Messi could have sat in the stands in that 2nd half and I wouldn't have noticed, couldn't even be ****ed to drop deep to get on the ball like he did in first game.

Just now, HOORAY HENRIK said:

You’d have to waterboard some people for them to admit Messi has been garbage.

Who's saying he hasn't been? The case is both that he's been awful and he's been far from Argentina's problem.

Anyway, this isn't down to Messi. Look at the **** he has to play with. 

I half want them to get to the R16 to see them getting smashed like they did vs Spain in March. 

Edited by craigcwwe

6 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Argentina have been riding their luck for years tbh. It's just now that their lacklusture pool of talent is finally being exposed. This should force the Argentine FA into acting back at home to start actually producing and developing talent again otherwise there's a very real chance they won't make it to Qatar.

I agree with this. What was their road to the finals again four years ago? Nigeria, Iran, Bosnia, Switzerland, Belgium and The Netherlands iirc. 

I don't agree that there is a lack of talent, the problem is much more around the squads that are selected. 

Looking at that third goal again, those defenders should be ashamed of themselves. They just stood still. No reaction. No playing to the whistle. As soon as Caballero made the first save they stopped playing. They made it far too easy for Croatia.

Nigeria has to beat Iceland for Argentina to have a chance but that Icelandic team is so well drilled and the Nigerians concede more than half their goals from set plays.

Argentina are out 

he's been appalling 100%, with his style of play he should be looking for the ball more.

BBC showing the work rate for that third goal sums it all up, disgrace

That was entertaining. Absolutely no semblance of shape from Argentina and my only surprise is that there wasn't a sending off or two. Actually feel sorry for the likes of Messi and Aguero having to try and prop up that shower of ****.

5 minutes ago, Icondacarver said:

.....on paper the Argentina side is not worse than the Portugal side. Ronaldo just knows how to motivate his guys into above average performances.....the Euros being an example!

On paper is irrelevant when Portugal have been drilled in a specific way and know exactly what they're doing while Argentina might as well have had names picked out of a hat with no idea what position anyone is playing 

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I half want them to get to the R16 to see them getting smashed like they did vs Spain in March. 

Yeah, but he certainly has a lot of influence in FA and when it comes to manager selection.

Do you think if he said Icardi, Dybala have to play instead of some 25yo anonymous player from Argentinian league somebody would say no?

1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

I agree with this. What was their road to the finals again four years ago? Nigeria, Iran, Bosnia, Switzerland, Belgium and The Netherlands iirc. 

I don't agree that there is a lack of talent, the problem is much more around the squads that are selected. 

Well more specifically, they have a dirth of talent in defence and in goal. Look at who they had to resort to after Romero's injury for christ's sake. Do they seriously have no other decent goalkeepers? The AFA needs to seriously look at themselves and how they coach defenders and goalkeepers.

1 minute ago, Icondacarver said:

Nigeria has to beat Iceland for Argentina to have a chance but that Icelandic team is so well drilled and the Nigerians concede more than half their goals from set plays.

Argentina are out 

No they don't? A draw is perfectly fine for Argentina.

This wasn't enough for you? :D

1 minute ago, Icondacarver said:

Argentina are out 

If Iceland win then Iceland has to lose the last game and Argentina has to score a few to go through on goal difference.

Just now, G-Man11 said:

A draw means Croatia can lose the last game and still top the group with Iceland getting 5 points 

Unless I am wrong.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say really. I think he's being unfairly targeted due to his obvious talent, but he's not the issue. Although he shouldn't' escape criticism either.

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

If Iceland doesn't win tomorrow, then Croatia is guaranteed to be first and no doubt that at least 6-7 starters wouldn't play.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

If Iceland win then Iceland has to lose the last game and Argentina has to score a few to go through on goal difference.

And we all know that if Iceland beat Nigeria, they and Croatia will both settle for the draw in the final group game. They'll realise that a draw is mutually beneficial and neither side will want to risk injuring players ahead of the R16.

I mean, technically, Argentina could qualify with a draw against Nigeria. Would need Iceland and Nigeria to draw tomorrow and then Iceland to get stuffed by Croatia, but still.

Just now, Icondacarver said:

A draw means Croatia can lose the last game and still top the group with Iceland getting 5 points 

Unless I am wrong.

Argentina has 1 point, as does Iceland, if Iceland win they have 4 points, Argentina can still finish on 4 points then it goes to goal difference.

Unless I am wrong.

Yes, but that doesn't mean Argentina requires Nigeria to beat Iceland. Argentina realistically just need Iceland either not to win either game or lose one of them. So 2 draws would be fine and the best outcome, whilst a win and a loss means they need to work on their GD.

2 minutes ago, Vynal Seven said:

Did th commentator just say Denmark have never scored a goal from outside the box? :eek:

At a WC.

Just now, daylight said:

Argentina has 1 point, as does Iceland, if Iceland win they have 4 points, Argentina can still finish on 4 points then it goes to goal difference.

Then Croatia and Iceland will just play out a 0-0 so they both go through and try and avoid injury so it doesn't matter about Argentina. 

Just now, ryan045 said:

At a WC.

They would have if they'd called up Lord Bendtner

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Then Croatia and Iceland will just play out a 0-0 so they both go through and try and avoid injury so it doesn't matter about Argentina. 

I really don't see that happening, both teams would have to make an effort.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

If Iceland doesn't win tomorrow, then Croatia is guaranteed to be first and no doubt that at least 6-7 starters wouldn't play.

And presumably those who come in will be keen to show they should be playing. Iceland are hardly so full of quality that such a scenario would guarantee them a win, their big thing is being super organised but in a scenario where they have to win then things could become more dicey. I'm not saying they won't win, I'm just saying I could easily see it finishing with 3 draws for them.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

Not if they also got a point from Nigeria. Would be 5 points.

An Iceland win is actually better than an Iceland draw for Argentina because Croatia will stay invested in the last game to try and top the group. A loss is obviously the most ideal scenario but just can't see that Nigerian team doing it

Messi walking off without shaking hands of even his own team mates. 

👎🏼

Edited by Rio_V

Not if they also got a point from Nigeria. Would be 5 points.

An Iceland win is actually better than an Iceland draw for Argentina because Croatia will stay invested in the last game to try and top the group. A loss is obviously the most ideal scenario but just can't see that Nigerian team doing it

But in that scenario they are now also chasing GD. With them entering that final day at least 4 goals behind.

Personally I think teams not being invested is overblown, the players who come in have a point to make normally after all.

Wanted a fun game but expected Argentina to score a few too.

Still, they will beat Nigeria because they have no gameplan either, so that leaves us waiting to see what Iceland will manage.

Messi has been absolutely dreadful in his first 2 matches. Worst I’ve ever seen him.

10 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Of course Messi is part of the team and therefore part of the problem. It's always funny that with these things there are almost two camps: people that want to blame Messi for everything and people who want to blame everyone except for Messi. I feel the truth is more in the middle. 

Given the qualification campaign they had, Argentina being bad isn't a surprise really, just nobody expected them to be this bad. 

5 minutes ago, Icondacarver said:

Unless I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Because Croatia can draw the last game and will most likely rest players doesn't automatically mean they lose the last game, it'd make more sense for Croatia to do the honourable thing and try for a result as they'd couldn't meet Argentina again until the final so why would they be bothered if Argentina went through anyway? It'd be better for them that the Argies went through in the hope of upsetting someone like France if they have ambitions of winning the competition surely?

1 minute ago, Pukey said:

Not sure I'd shake hands with that shower of **** either

Then maybe try shaking hands with your Barca team mate who just dominated you?

Just now, Rio_V said:

Then maybe try shaking hands with your Barca team mate who just dominated you?

If he hasn't shaken hands with the opposition then that's poor form yes. He's not the first and won't be the last to do something like that.