Group B: Portugal v Morocco (KO 1300BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

I guess Lawrenson borders on a comedy character by this point thanks to his misanthropic musings...Keown rivals Owen for sheer tedium.

What is this fixation that the co commentator has to comment on EVERYTHING

Just now, Sean Blinkhorn said:

What is this fixation that the co commentator has to comment on EVERYTHING

It used to be for analysis and 'expert' views but the worst ones practically repeat what the main commentator has said.

Keown is one step above Martin Brundle in F1 97 saying "you're right there, Murray".

26 minutes ago, Ricky Button said:

90 seconds or so usually. I have been avoiding these threads because of it. :D

Got it on my phone on my desk at work and my mate messaged the whatsapp group saying Ronaldooooooooo and took ages to finally score :D 

10 minutes ago, ReggaeBwoy said:

Hope Morocco can get a goal. Absolutely outplaying Portugal. Amrabat is ripping Guerriero apart.

Morocco dominating but Portugal are the team who created the 2 best chances. The goal and Guedes shot. Patricio has had nothing to do despite Morocco looking dominant.

1 hour ago, The_jagster said:

BBC's commentary teams are generally awful tbh, I'd much rather have Kilbane than Keown.

Keown and Danny Murphy are truly awful.

Great for Vicki Sparks but I find her voice too shrill to listen to for any length of time (are we allowed to say that?).

6 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Great for Vicki Sparks but I find her voice too shrill to listen to for any length of time (are we allowed to say that?).

I will see yours and raise you a Phil Neville, hopefully one day his constipation clears and he doesn't sound like he is trying to squeeze one out while commentating. 

7 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Probably not, to the stockade with you!

Is the criticism "their voice is too shrill" exclusive to female sports commentators?

I'm not yet fully convinced by Sparks (bearing in mind that she is only 30 and this is her live debut), but I find her to be more listenable and more informed than Pearce and most of the BBC's co-commentators.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Guedes is having an absolute shocker again...Bernardo Silva not much better.

Gelson coming on for the latter now.

Those 2 are good players who need to help Ronaldo out if Portugal are to donwell this tournament.

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Is the criticism "their voice is too shrill" exclusive to female sports commentators?

I'm not yet fully convinced by Sparks (bearing in mind that she is only 30 and this is her live debut), but I find her to be more listenable and more informed than Pearce and most of the BBC's co-commentators.

It wasn't a criticism - it was a personal observation. There is lots to dislike with many of the male commentators, thoughts which have been aired and discussed on OTF at length over the years.

9 minutes ago, daylight said:

How is this not 1-1, how did Morocco lose to Iran, why couldn't Southgate not have Kane taking the corners like Roy did, England would have lost 1-0!

So many questions..

Because every time they get near the box they mess up.  They waste too many opportunities by messing up passes in the final 3rd.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

I swear Keown uses that "boxer on the ropes" thing in every single game he covers.

Yeah he changes it around though. he either says "They're on the ropes" or "They've got them on the ropes" or "if it was a boxing match the referee would stop the fight", he could be a bit of a boxing fan.

20 minutes ago, daylight said:

How is this not 1-1, how did Morocco lose to Iran, why couldn't Southgate not have Kane taking the corners like Roy did, England would have lost 1-0!

So many questions..

Morocco look all good until being in front of goal.

I didn't realise Sporting were going to lose out on some players for free? It's the 83rd minute and it's the first I am hearing about it from the commentators.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just now, Pukey said:

Portugal have been woeful. Has Ronaldo done anything other than his goal? And I'm not meaning that as a criticism of him, it's the rest of the team that have been really poor.

Ronaldo has done fine. Scored and created a big chance for Guedes. The rest of the team need to not just rely on him.

Just now, Pukey said:

Portugal have been woeful. Has Ronaldo done anything other than his goal? And I'm not meaning that as a criticism of him, it's the rest of the team that have been really poor.

He messed up a couple of free kicks.

Make that another messed up free kick.

Archived