Group B: Portugal v Morocco (KO 1300BST)

Rob1981

image.png.b081af656cbf5345a900e679f23ec3c6.pngimage.png.141cf714ecc9eeab43a3a846f6e0aa9f.png

Group B: Portugal v Morocco, KO 13:00BST

Venue: Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow

Previous World Cup meetings: One previous encounter between these two in the group stage at Mexico 86.  A famous 3-1 victory for Morocco saw them progress as surprise group winners, and become the first African team to make it through to the knockout phase of a World Cup.  Portugal were dumped on the plane home.  No doubt BBC/ITV will be all over this later, but if you want a headstart on everyone else you can enjoy some grainy footage and a Martin Tyler voiceover at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_e62of9RI

As it stands:

P  W  D  L  GD Pts
Iran         1  1  0  0  +1   3
Portugal     1  0  1  0   0   1
Spain        1  0  1  0   0   1
Morocco      1  0  0  1  -1   0

The Build Up: Portugal stride into this one as heavy favourites after their draw against Spain, especially with Ronaldo on song and already eyeing up the golden boot.  Morocco are out if they lose, but history is on their side and they looked broadly competent for a lot of their game the other night before Iran's smash-and-grab victory in stoppage time.  Both teams need to go for the three points really, a draw doesn't help either of them. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Surely you remembered to block out your diary for each afternoon during the WC....

Sadly this is a cancel everything else for this kind of meeting.

Which makes it sound more important than it is. It'll be pointless. But i can't miss it. Plus I've made a big thing of my team attending.. so won't go down well if i don't show up :D 

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

We'll probably see 4 batterings in these 4 games Spain and Portugal play.

They both want to avoid Uruguay.

Considering the current goal differences in group A, it's quite likely that a draw would be enough for Russia to get the 1st spot. In this case, I guess they will be more likely to finish 1st. 

But they would still be an easier opponent for Spain/Portugal, so they might need to try finish 2nd :)

Archived