Iran v Spain - Wed 20th June (1900 BST, 1800 GMT, 2100 MSK, 2000 CEST, 2230 TEH)

git2thachoppa

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rob1981 said:

Surprised they've let a Uruguayan ref this match when Uruguay are going to get one of the teams from this group in the next round.  Could forgive him for giving Iran a few 50/50 balls.

Like having a Columbian ref for the England game? :)

Just now, daylight said:

This is crazy to watch, 15 minutes in and Iran have no out ball, they have within 20 yards of their own goal.
it's like it's the 90th minute and not the 15th, crazy stuff!

Was about to post something similar. Horrible to watch really but if it gets them a point you can't blame them I suppose. They're not exactly going to out pass Spain.

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

I actually think less of Iran now than before their win over Morocco. I was expecting a freakishly well drilled double-decker bus, instead from the highlights I saw Morocco just carved them apart with ease and were highly unlucky not to score.

Based on this I think it's likelier that Spain smashes them than a cagey low scoring game, BUT it could also just have been a bad day from the Iranian defence, and Morocco seem more vertical than Spain's laboured play - which could play into Iran's hands here even if Spain are obviously vastly superior to Morocco. So I'm still keeping an open mind to the possibility of Iran frustrating them, even if I'm a bit skeptical it'll happen.

I also think it's likelier that Iran frustrates us (Portugal) than Spain, we're not particularly outstanding at organized attacks. Probably worse than Morocco actually.

I guess Spain's laboured play is playing into their hands then. Haven't produced much these first 20 minutes.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

You guys act as if this is the first big competition you've ever watched.

Everyone plays in a way that will give them the best chance of achieving a positive result.

As for diving and time wasting, it's quite enjoyable seeing it against Spain.

Yes, Greece did that to huge effect, even Portugal to an extent. However this particular match seems even more excessive.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Everyone plays in a way that will give them the best chance of achieving a positive result.

I get that, but it just sucks the life out of it for me. I’m thinking of putting FM on it’s that bad.

Guys, it's the first half, Iran are going to conserve energy until the second half when Spain are pressing even more forward and get complacent thinking Iran are trying for a 0-0. They're not going to try do what Spain wants.

Like every match as underdogs. This is not a new Iranian gameplan.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I have never seen a team play with the entire team in 20 yards of their own goal right from the start of the game, it's bizarre.
They give themselves no out ball even when they get the ball.

Just now, Citizen Kane said:

Yes, Greece did that to huge effect, even Portugal to an extent. However this particular match seems even more excessive.

With Vuvuzelas to boot. At least they have a game plan in a difficult group for them. Unlike the Saudis.

You can't really blame Iran for playing to their strengths and sitting back from the start. Those tactics served them quite well against stronger teams in 2014 and are serving them well again. It's up to Spain to break them down, and if they can't, then they don't deserve any more than a point.

This might not be great to watch for the neutral, but I'm seeing a bit more quality in both teams than I saw in the previous two games. It's keeping me intrigued.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

I have never seen a team play with the entire team in 20 yards of their own goal right from the start of the game, it's bizarre.

Never watched an Atletico CL match then?

2 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

How are you not enjoying this? 

The contract of styles and ability is great. 

I don't mind it, as long as Spain wins, then Iran can get te **** with their football and those bloody horns!

3 minutes ago, daylight said:

Against such gigantic favourites, they're not looking for that in the first half. It's about frustrating them.

Believe me, Iran would be playing like Brazil... IF THEY HAD BRAZILIANS.* :lol:

Spoiler

Not that that helped Qatar qualify for any World Cups...

2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

I get that, but it just sucks the life out of it for me. I’m thinking of putting FM on it’s that bad.

Don't like it then don't watch it. Simple as that. 

Iran have every right to play however they see fit, for this game, their only chance is to sit deep and soak up the pressure and try and get a point. 

Always love the moral outrage and bus parking :D. Iran doing what they can to get something from the game.

Playing like this will invite so much pressure at some point Iran will **** up most likely anyway.

It's not like this is a some regular league game.

World Cup happens once every 4 years and teams like Iceland and Iran usually qualify once in every 3-4 tournaments.

If stacking 10 players on the goal-line was a viable tactic, they'd do it and noone could blame them.

Spanish team is like 10x more expensive than Iranian. If they're so much bettter, winning should be easy enough.

Btw, when I said that some continents have way too many teams, everyone bashed me. Now enjoy your football equality.

Look at that:

Spain had everyone camped in the Iran half, that's when Iran try to break with a huge numerical advantage.

That's the whole point.

Iran don't need anyone in their half if Spain has everyone in Iran's half, they're inviting them forward so they can attack with surprise.

2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Or Portugal or Argentina. I want entertainment on my telly. This is like the American stereotype of what football is like.

I guarantee that if Iran came out trying to play like the 1970 Brazil side you'd be on here posting about how ridiculous it is that such a mismatch is allowed to take place at a WC when Spain are 6-0 up. 

Archived