Just looking for some general feedback and feeling about the new scouting system on FM18.

As every year, I bought the new FM in November looking to get stuck in straight away. I was quite excited about the new scouting system as the main enjoyment I get out of a game is transfers and building a team. I've never really enjoyed the tactics (although I think my real world knowledge of tactics is pretty good) and try to get away with the bare minimum, which seems to be getting harder, but that's another point.

Once I got started with FM18 I just couldn't get in to it and the main reason was the new scouting, I can't remember exactly what it was about it but I just didn't like it. Liked the idea but it didn't feel like it worked well enough and seemed like it might be one of those features that takes a year to get right. That alongside having my first child born in September, therefore massively restricting my game time, lead to me going back to FM17, which I have never done with a version of FM before.

Have people got used to the scouting now, do I just need to give it more of a chance and get to understand it or is it likely to be something to get a lot better next year.

Cheers in advance.

It took me a while to get used to it to be fair. The more I use it though, the easier it gets - I think it is a forced change of habits that have been built up over a number of years using the 'old' scouting system.

It's not, actually, a HUGELY different system, I struggled to find ways to do the 'old' stuff I used to do easily, and I do feel that there are more mouse-clicks to hit the nugget of info you need, but that feels like it is across the whole game and not just the scouting.

Any general tips on how to go about it with the new system.

With top teams I used to have my scouts out on assignments all over the world and then look through all of the 'known' players star ratings and pick out a bunch to specifically scout further and gradually keep narrowing the list down to a shortlist.

With lower league team I used to do the above (Obviously a lot more players on the initial list as not trying to improve on already world class players) and also used to go around scouting Prem and Championship youth teams whose contracts were expiring.

My understanding of the new system (from memory and limited use) was that scouting individual players like both scenarios above would cost a fortune and basically isn't do-able anymore.

I'm all for change and making the game more realistic (and therefore harder) but I just couldn't figure out a way of actually getting meaningful scouting information without spending getting out of control.

P.s. sorry if this information is already out there in other threads.

I've not really understood new scouting system either.

I scout comprehensively, but this just doesn't seem to work.

I had each scout do two jobs. Firstly, Scout x nation for players under the age of 27 with 4 star or above (Looking for ready made players) and then after that, scout the same nation for players 21 and under with potential of 4 star.

Did this with 12 scouts, spent an age setting it all up, only to find that the scouts never ever finish the first assignment. I had them set to run until completion like I did on the older FM games, but they just don't complete. I had this running for 2.5 years.

I also had two scouts. One scouting the under 16 leagues and one scouting the under 23 leagues. (Think that was the ones) anyway in two years, they've found nothing. And I keep getting recommended to drop scouting these areas. I just can't believe in 2 years there isn't a single u18 or u23 player in England worth looking at

3 hours ago, MrPompey said:

the action buttons at bottom of the screen should remain in the same place as you move from one player to another for ease or repeating the action instead of jumping around

That's caught me out on more than one occasion!

Just read the FAQs, most of which I had read when the game first came out, although it did help with some things.

So am I right in thinking that if I'm in the conference and I want to job lot scout a load of players based in England that it won't cost me anything as it will be within my scouting range? If so I can pretty much continue how I used to scout, which doesn't sound right because then I don't understand why I would have struggled so much when I first tried to play it.

Sorry if I'm completely missing something.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, Spurs + Eastbourne 4eva said:

So am I right in thinking that if I'm in the conference and I want to job lot scout a load of players based in England that it won't cost me anything as it will be within my scouting range? If so I can pretty much continue how I used to scout, which doesn't sound right because then I don't understand why I would have struggled so much when I first tried to play it.

Sorry if I'm completely missing something.

There will be no cost to coming out of your scouting budget. However, there will still be minimal costs coming out of your finances as there were in previous versions. These will be displayed under 'Scouting Costs' on your Finances page. 

Scouting players outside of your scouting range will see money removed from your scouting budget.  

Cheers,

Ben

4 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

I wrote about the new scouting system.

Yes, you did. And very good it was, too. I still re-read it every few weeks to remind myself what I'm missing :thup:

Archived