Random World Cup stuff

mark1985

3 hours ago, mark1985 said:

For everything that doesn’t fit anywhere else.

99.6% of Iceland watched their draw with Argentina. Which is .2% down down on their win over England at the Euros

Does that mean that only around 15k people in the whole of Iceland didn't tune in? :eek:

2 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Does that mean that only around 15k people in the whole of Iceland didn't tune in? :eek:

They were probably at the game. Seriously though, any idea how many were actually at the game?

Top measured player speeds at the world cup

1. Ronaldo 33,98 km/h (Portugal)
2. Advincula 33,77 km/h (Peru)
3. Rebić 33,3 km/h (Croatia)
4. Ureña 33,08 km/h (Costa Rica)
5. Achraf 32,83 km/h (Morocco)
6. Leckie 32,83 km/h (Australia)
7. González 32,83 km/h (Costa Rica)
8. Bolaños 32,83 km/h (Costa Rica)
9. Lukaku 32,83 km/h (Belgium)

For the first time in any World Cup, no 0-0 draws in the first round of matches.

Also, first World Cup where the hosts have won their first two games.

Both from the BBC, so not necessarily accurate.

Not really a big stat, but..:

If Uruguay beat Saudi Arabia (1-0 at the moment), the first three teams to be eliminated from the World Cup will be Arab ones: Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

12 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

For the first time in any World Cup, no 0-0 draws in the first round of matches.

Isn't it the best start by a home nation in terms of results from 2 games, not the first time a team has won two? 

Because Russia have scored 8 and conceded 1, I believe that is the best start ever by a host nation after 2 games. It's not the first two wins though I don't think. 

30 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Isn't it the best start by a home nation in terms of results from 2 games, not the first time a team has won two? 

Because Russia have scored 8 and conceded 1, I believe that is the best start ever by a host nation after 2 games. It's not the first two wins though I don't think. 

Excellent, well done JD. It didn't seem right when I was typing it but this makes sense.

A Brazilian criminal who was on the run was arrested in Russia today while he was at the stadium watching Brazil's game against Costa Rica.

Hernán Gómez on Wikipedia:

To date, he is the only coach to have ever qualified three different national teams to a World Cup, and one of three people to have led at least three different national teams to a World Cup. He qualified Colombia to the 1998 FIFA World Cup, Ecuador to the 2002 FIFA World Cup and Panama to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

French manager Henri Michel also had previously achieved this with three teams: he led France to the 1986 FIFA World Cup, Cameroon to the 1994 FIFA World Cup, and Morocco to the 1998 FIFA World Cup.[10][11]

Bora Milutinovic (Mexico, 1986; Costa Rica, 1990; United States, 1994; Nigeria, 1998; and China, 2002) and Carlos Alberto Parreira (Kuwait, 1982; United Arab Emirates, 1990; Brazil, 1994 and 2006; Saudi Arabia, 1998; South Africa, 2010) have guided five teams in World Cups, but without playing the qualification rounds.

Probably old news to some but I only just found out why Uruguay have 4 gold stars on their shirts: before the World Cup started in 1930 the Olympic champions were also declared the World Champions.  Uruguay won the Olympics in 1924 and 1928 along with the World Cup in 1930 and 1950, hence 4 stars.

I never knew.

27 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

More players in the World Cup Quarter Finals have played for Sunderland than Real Madrid, Juventus or Bayern Munich.

Yeah how many? And is it more than those 3 teams combined? Not really amazing considering the QFs don't involve Spain, Germany or Italy.

2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Yeah how many? And is it more than those 3 teams combined? Not really amazing considering the QFs don't involve Spain, Germany or Italy.

I find it bonkers frankly. 

9 ex Sunderland players off top of my head:

Pickford, Henderson, Rose, Welbeck, Larson, Toivonen, Januzaj, Coates, Mignolet

21 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

I find it bonkers frankly. 

7 ex Sunderland players off top of my head:

Pickford, Henderson, Rose, Welbeck, Larson, Toivonen, Januzaj, 

Not bad at all!

Young, Cahill, Walker, Delph and Southgate for Villa.

7 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Not bad at all!

Young, Cahill, Walker, Delph and Southgate for Villa.

I missed two - Coates and Mignolet. So it’s 9.

Equal with PSG and Barcelona and one less than Liverpool and only two less than Man Utd :D

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-worldcup-russia-coin/russia-says-to-mint-half-rouble-coin-if-team-reaches-world-cup-semis-idUKKBN1JW232?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Russia’s central bank said on Friday it would issue a commemorative half-rouble coin if the national soccer team beats Croatia in their World Cup quarter-final this Saturday.

The recent success of the Russian team, widely scorned at home for their poor performances in the past, has taken the country and the soccer world by surprise.

Russian supporters and state officials now have begun rallying around the team in light of their unexpected victories.

In a vivid example of such support, the Bank of Russia posted a picture on its social media pages of the silver-coloured coin featuring the fraction “1/2” and the inscription “FIFA 2018 Soccer World Cup in Russia.”

The central bank’s press office confirmed the bank was committed to mint such a coin if Russia beat Croatia in the match that kicks off on Saturday at 1800 GMT in Sochi.

Half-rouble coins do not exist in Russia, but there are 50-kopeck coins of the same face value, the equivalent of less than $0.01. It was unclear when the central bank could mint such a coin and in what quantities.

The Bank of Russia has traditionally issued commemorative coins and notes for major events. Some of these notes, including 100-rouble bills in tribute to the 2014 Sochi Olympics, Moscow’s 2014 annexation of Crimea and the World Cup, are in circulation and in high demand among collectors.

After automatically qualifying as host country and entering the tournament as the lowest-ranked side, Russia reached the World Cup knockout stage for the first time in post-Soviet history after victories against Saudi Arabia and Egypt.

The team then went on to beat Spain, the 2010 World Cup champions, in penalty kicks in the round of 16 last week.

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

For the first time in World Cup history, none of Argentina, Brazil or Germany are in the Semi Finals. 

None of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Italy too, the so-called 'big four'.

This is the first World Cup ever where the four semi-finalists are from the top half of the alphabet. Some World Cups did not have knock out stages but were decided in group stages right to the final, so these have not been included.

About that Inter players in WC finals stat, it gets even more Interesting (bad pun, kill me <.<).

1982 - Altobelli scores, Italy wins.
1986 - Rummenigge scores, Germany loses. (only outlier)
1990 - Brehme scores, Italy wins.
1994 - Italy loses.
1998 - Brazil loses.
2002 - Ronaldo scores, Brazil wins.
2006 - Materazzi scores, Italy wins.
2010 - Holland loses.
2014 - Palacio bottles it, Argentina loses.

Not exactly a world cup thing but here it is.

The year is 1990. One guy is filming a documentary about wolves in Croatian mountains. He records a kid shepherd with his father. That kid, it is now known, was Luka Modrić :D

Video (on 2:30)

Il 20/6/2018 in 17:20 , Sons FC ha scritto:

Il 20/6/2018 in 17:26 , FaceCrusher ha scritto:

That one surely not right. In 2006 Germany won all 3 games.

Same with Italy in 1990.

And France in 1998.

1 hour ago, toon_84 said:

The last 3 keepers to lose a world cup final have all played for Monaco.

Unlucky Croatia.

Yeah, except that Stekelenburg moved to Monaco in 2014, 4 years after the lost final.

Prime example of terrible journalism and thinking people wouldn't notice.

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, except that Stekelenburg moved to Monaco in 2014, 4 years after the lost final.

Prime example of terrible journalism and thinking people wouldn't notice.

Technically yes but they have all played for Monaco ;)

Archived