Sports Interactive Community
Dulyman

FM 18 starts, runs for a bit then freezes and poofs

I have an HP Pavillion with an i5 and Nvidia Geforce GCard. Windows 10. Latest drivers as I write this. Also Kaspersky. 

I've tried the demo and FM 17 and now got 18 assuming it would work. It plays for a bit and then it freezes and dies on me. 

There is no dump report. Sometimes it crashes the machine and takes me to a blue screen. But that's about it. 

Checked the logs: 

Faulting application name: fm.exe, version: 18.3.3.0, time stamp: 0x5ab17f1f
Faulting module name: fm.exe, version: 18.3.3.0, time stamp: 0x5ab17f1f
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000004333ad0
Faulting process ID: 0x5160
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4075a196d5aed
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\fm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\fm.exe
Report ID: 16ef0b58-7519-4a97-906a-429b27c5e165
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The Laptop is definately not overheating and it's never gone into the game, so it surely isn't that. 

I've recently uninstalled and reinstalled FM18 and that hasn't helped. 

So just to clarify, it freezes and dies when the game is actually trying to load up?

Are you trying to run any custom graphics/logos/skins or any other add-ons with the game?

If you try and run the game off the integrated card rather than the Nvidia card, do you get the same issue? Details on how to do this are listed in the link below:

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

So just to clarify, it freezes and dies when the game is actually trying to load up?

Are you trying to run any custom graphics/logos/skins or any other add-ons with the game?

If you try and run the game off the integrated card rather than the Nvidia card, do you get the same issue? Details on how to do this are listed in the link below:

Last time I tried it on the integrated card it gave me the proper crash dump. Haven't tried it since reloading. 

And it's not when the game is loading. It loads fine and I get to play for 5 mins to an hour then the game will just be randomly playing (not in the match engine) and then I'll try click on something and it freezes briefly then it just disappears and am back in windows. 

Now and then I get a bluescreen when trying to play too. 

What does the BSOD actually say? There's normally more detail in regards to the type of dump listed. 

If it shuts down too quickly for you to be able to see, you can disable the system restarting when it crashes as shown here - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

Let us know, thanks. 

IT says "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" when that does happen, but it dies to blue screen 1/100 crashes. 99% of the time clicking on a player or menu item will just freeze the icon and FM poofs into oblivion 

Still on my own here then. 

Why not just make a game that works with every OS? 

I have spent more time on drivers and scans than the game I paid for. 

Hi @Dulyman do you have this issue when playing any other games or running any other programs? Do you also have the crash dump you got when running the game on your integrated card that you could upload for us to take a look at?

Yes, this is the only game I have ever played in over 20 years of gaming where I am expected to start working on my operating system in order to have 5 minutes of gameplay. 

I have played a few gamed on here that go through the integrated and nvidia 

I switched to using the integrated processor and it just dies on startup. 

It failed twice

Faulting process ID: 0x1a74
Faulting application start time: 0x01d40cbbea99eb5b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\fm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2018\fm.exe
Report ID: 70c1e6a3-5be6-4172-a001-3a15febfe829

Faulting process ID: 0x2cb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d40cbbb34eaba1
Report ID: 10a29e1a-62b3-4188-88c7-0a4b4eb9e92b

Did you have the actual dmp. file that you could upload for us to take a look at? 

2 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

Did you have the actual dmp. file that you could upload for us to take a look at? 

Let me know if those are the files you need. 

Unfortunately not @Dulyman, we will need the full dump that would ordinarily be in the following folder: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\crash dumps

Okay, oops. 

So I have these but they are old. Before I updated every damn driver on this thing manually. 

This game was still opening, loading, working for a few mins then poofing up until today.  It just stalls for a second or two then vanishes. Literally happened  today 28/6/2018.

So not sure if these dumpfiles will still help you. Hopefully they do.  

FM 2018 v18.3.3.1074698 (2018.06.19 18.44.59).dmp

FM 2018 v18.3.3.1074698 (2018.06.19 19.55.13).dmp

FM 2018 v18.3.3.1074698 (2018.06.25 09.17.02).dmp

Okay thanks, I'll take a look at those. So where abouts does it vanish now? Before you get to the start screen?

Just now, Luke Rumble said:

Okay thanks, I'll take a look at those. So where abouts does it vanish now? Before you get to the start screen?

No, I generally get in, load the game and play for a bit. It's random. Sometimes it runs for a few minutes, sometimes an hour or so. 

But it's always as I am making changes to the team or clicking between menu items, etc. Never in the match engine. 

The game engine is solid and it's never dumped or had any issues during a game.

6 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

Do you play the game with any custom graphics/skins installed?

Nope. Never have. 

Thanks for the dmp. file we're looking into that one, if its no longer getting to the start menu i would suggest clearing cache and preferences again if you haven't already.

So, do we think it could be something to do with the additional graphics etc. Game has been running fine up until a week or so ago. Now I can't get by the next game - it just freezes then closes the game. I do have the face pack and badge pack installed - however, this has never been a problem before. Graphics card drivers are the most recent and the PC certainly isn't overheating. No other problems with any other games.

11 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

Thanks for the dmp. file we're looking into that one, if its no longer getting to the start menu i would suggest clearing cache and preferences again if you haven't already.

This is taking forever. 10+ days just on this thread and slow replies. 

How do I get my money back? I am sick and tired of this now. 17 and 18 were total messes. I've been playing every year since Championship manager and it's pretty clear Sigames and crew are not bothered. 

Can you please try the following: 

Open Device Manager

Expand Display Adapters

Uninstall the Graphics Driver

Reinstall them.

Then, follow this: 

On 03/07/2018 at 16:20, Lucas Weatherby said:

Can you please try the following: 

Open Device Manager

Expand Display Adapters

Uninstall the Graphics Driver

Reinstall them.

Then, follow this: 

Both the drivers for the Nvidia and Intel drivers?

Oddly, I uninstalled. Restarted. But both drivers were up to date when I came back in and checked out DM 

okay, so I've done the DX reinstall again after uninstalling the display drivers. Just concerned they were there and loaded without me needing to reinstall after restarting the lappy.  

So whats the current situation?

On 06/07/2018 at 18:10, Lucas Weatherby said:

So whats the current situation?

Hey, 

I haven't really had much free time to play, but after trying the latest it's a lot more stable. I have had times where I open it and the laptop crashes, but it's pretty rare, still a looming threat but it's playable. 

Recently had some time to play and it's back to crashing, this time in-game. 

Lost 2 days of playing over the same month with the game crashing. 

On 31/10/2018 at 23:21, Patar31 said:

Been having the exact same issues 

I've been playing this game since Championship manager. It's just pathetic now. You play for hours and it crashes, you lose all the progress. I've bent over backwards to get FM18 sorted, reinstalled 5 times, done my drivers, and and. 

I've easily spent as much time trying to fix the game and also redo the time I've lost to constant random crashes. I see FM19 is EXACTLY the same. I am over it.

Finally giving up FM.

2 points from looking at the history.  Both the BSOD and the freezing would point to a hardware error within the graphics system, possibly the card driver.  The game may well the catalyst for the error but is unlikely to be the cause.  

Have you tried the game without the third party graphics?  I would also suggest rolling back the NVidia driver to the March 18 version which has helped other users with graphics issues.

With regard to losing the game progress, if you go into preferences and set the saving setting to the rolling 3 game autosave and set it to weekly, you will always have a couple of recent backups should you have any future issues.