The VAR Thread

gillsminnow

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's overturned numerous bad decisions and not impacted the flow of the game. 

So what if its missed some things, it's worked better than I think anyone could imagine. Like this I'd happily have it the premier league next season. 

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

If they got the same replays we got, the VAR officials should be going home for not spotting that...

VAR on the whole has been a really good addition imo but what's the deal with not giving a penalty for the foul on Mitrovic? There is no logical explanation. Awful. 

Haven't read this thread but just got pointed towards this forum by cms in the other var thread on the FF and I have to say I find it baffling how any football fan could support something that completely sucks the joy out of being a football fan.

Do we really want to give up that moment of pure joy as a fan when a ball strikes the back of the net because you have to wait and see whether the winger handled the ball before he took on his man and crossed it. I go back to the euros which is some of my finest moments as a football fan that has gone regularly since the age of 5 and the thought of HRK's goal v Slovakia being checked for offside or Neil Taylor v Russia being checked for offside and half celebrating, a 20 second wait then half celebrating again is just such a demoralising thought.

Yeah, it may rule out the odd terrible decision but it's hardly perfect. Argentina should've had a pen in their first game, Australia should never have had a pen the other day, France shouldn't have had a pen v Australia. It's not like it's fool proof. But even if it was I'd be against it as I feel it takes away from the best moment you get as a football fan, that split second where the net ripples in a huge game and you know it's a goal. Losing that is such a blow and even though quite a few I know through going to Cardiff games and Wales games agree, it seems a lot are starting to get on board with it from what I've seen on twitter and I find that disheartening really. I see it as another step towards football becoming even more of a corporate jolly at any level that's remotely decent. 

TL, DR - **** var 

24 minutes ago, chopra_hill said:

Haven't read this thread but just got pointed towards this forum by cms in the other var thread on the FF and I have to say I find it baffling how any football fan could support something that completely sucks the joy out of being a football fan.

Do we really want to give up that moment of pure joy as a fan when a ball strikes the back of the net because you have to wait and see whether the winger handled the ball before he took on his man and crossed it. I go back to the euros which is some of my finest moments as a football fan that has gone regularly since the age of 5 and the thought of HRK's goal v Slovakia being checked for offside or Neil Taylor v Russia being checked for offside and half celebrating, a 20 second wait then half celebrating again is just such a demoralising thought.

Yeah, it may rule out the odd terrible decision but it's hardly perfect. Argentina should've had a pen in their first game, Australia should never have had a pen the other day, France shouldn't have had a pen v Australia. It's not like it's fool proof. But even if it was I'd be against it as I feel it takes away from the best moment you get as a football fan, that split second where the net ripples in a huge game and you know it's a goal. Losing that is such a blow and even though quite a few I know through going to Cardiff games and Wales games agree, it seems a lot are starting to get on board with it from what I've seen on twitter and I find that disheartening really. I see it as another step towards football becoming even more of a corporate jolly at any level that's remotely decent. 

TL, DR - **** var 

If Solskjær had been given offside in 99 and we didn't have VAR because of people like you, I would not be a happy chappy.

Getting the right result is of paramount importance. Celebrate like a mad man at every opportunity, it isn't as if people don't already do that with linesmen waving their flag for offside. Maybe we should remove that too, just in case you doubted your celebration while looking for a flag?

9 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

If Solskjær had been given offside in 99 and we didn't have VAR because of people like you, I would not be a happy chappy.

Getting the right result is of paramount importance. Celebrate like a mad man at every opportunity, it isn't as if people don't already do that with linesmen waving their flag for offside. Maybe we should remove that too, just in case you doubted your celebration while looking for a flag?

Your last sentence is a load of garbage and not at all comparable but I think you know that 

4 minutes ago, chopra_hill said:

Your last sentence is a load of garbage and not at all comparable but I think you know that 

So ignore that and go for the part that's actually relevant? You'd rather have wrong results than a couple of wrong celebrations

36 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

So ignore that and go for the part that's actually relevant? You'd rather have wrong results than a couple of wrong celebrations

Well you made a silly comparison that isn't at all comparable.

But yes, I would rather the odd wrong decision (on which football has quite comfortably survived with for 125 years) than this corporate ****. Not like there isn't aggrieved teams from decisions in this World Cup anyway is there? 

The two killer arguments against VAR:

- "It ruins the celebrations of an invalid goal when it then gets cancelled by VAR for being invalid"

Thus we must get rid of linesmen, so there's no risk of them flagging or getting the attention of the ref for a foul or handball they spotted and having prolonged discussion on the sideline.

We must also get rid of goal-line technology.

- "There's still wrong decisions and it's inconsistent."

Thus we must get rid of refs, as they're inconsistent and make wrong decisions.

Linesmen, whistles, coloured balls, flags, VAR, Hawk-Eye, yellow cards, it's all been a disaster that's ruined football and made the sport unwatchable.

Maradona 86, Lampard v Germany, we weren't complaining then and we aren't complaining now.

7 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

The two killer arguments against VAR:

- "It ruins the celebrations of an invalid goal when it then gets cancelled by VAR for being invalid"

Thus we must get rid of linesmen, so there's no risk of them flagging or getting the attention of the ref for a foul or handball they spotted and having prolonged discussion on the sideline.

We must also get rid of goal-line technology.

- "There's still wrong decisions and it's inconsistent."

Thus we must get rid of refs, as they're inconsistent and make wrong decisions.

Linesmen, whistles, coloured balls, flags, VAR, Hawk-Eye, yellow cards, it's all been a disaster that's ruined football and made the sport unwatchable.

Maradona 86, Lampard v Germany, we weren't complaining then and we aren't complaining now.

A prolonged discussion between linesman and a referee for offside is that rare that in the past two years of going to about 100 games - I think I've seen it once. And no one celebrated initially as the linesman had his flag raised, you then waited for a discussion compared to you celebrating as there's no obvious reason why it'd be checked and no obvious sign. Then you see the ref, then you wait.

Goalline technology also completely irrelevant as that's instant.

10 hours ago, chopra_hill said:

Well you made a silly comparison that isn't at all comparable.

But yes, I would rather the odd wrong decision (on which football has quite comfortably survived with for 125 years) than this corporate ****. Not like there isn't aggrieved teams from decisions in this World Cup anyway is there? 

So because VAR hasn't been perfect, we should just get rid? 

Without VAR we wouldn't have gotten the penalty against Nigeria yesterday. Quite honestly, getting one more decision right makes it worth it for me.

Everybody celebrated wildly as Iran scored their unexpected equaliser

The flag was up, as the linesman had correctly spotted an offside which was confirmed shortly after Iran's team had finished celebrating in the corner with the rest of their squad

Naturally, the "No, but really, football isn't fun without avoidable refereeing errors" crowd blamed VAR...

image.thumb.png.8882a4cec6a3cf36dea4f492c13a4a3b.png

7 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

So because VAR hasn't been perfect, we should just get rid? 

Without VAR we wouldn't have gotten the penalty against Nigeria yesterday. Quite honestly, getting one more decision right makes it worth it for me.

No offence but I think our viewing habits of football massively differ and that dictates our opinion. 

13 minutes ago, chopra_hill said:

No offence but I think our viewing habits of football massively differ and that dictates our opinion. 

Why on earth would I take offence at that?

It's simple, I want right decisions, you don't want to occasionally look a tad bit silly along with thousands of people. To each their own

10 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

Why on earth would I take offence at that?

It's simple, I want right decisions, you don't want to occasionally look a tad bit silly along with thousands of people. To each their own

Looking silly is the least of my worries. I do that most Friday nights in town. Not being able to celebrate a goal until it's been confirmed by VAR is what winds me up, takes away from the magic. 

Just now, chopra_hill said:

Looking silly is the least of my worries. I do that most Friday nights in town. Not being able to celebrate a goal until it's been confirmed by VAR is what winds me up, takes away from the magic. 

I've yet to see a ball go into the back of the net and the crowd just standing there waiting. Just celebrate the damn goal, this "oh with VAR in play, I only ever half celebrate goals" is just utter nonsense. Anyone doing that will be a tiny minority. It's natural reaction to celebrate, not to go "HANG ON A MINUTE! THIS MIGHT GET DISALLOWED IN A BIT!"

Chops, you can still celebrate a goal ffs. 

Without VAR, these scenarios play out:

1. Certain it's a goal, Go mental at the goal. (Goal could still be ruled out)

2. Unsure if ref is going to give it, wait a moment to see if given, go mental if goal is given.

With VAR these scenarios play out:

1. Certain it's a goal, Go mental at the goal. (Goal could still be ruled out either through normal means or VAR)

2. Unsure if ref is going to give it, wait a moment to see if given, go mental if goal is given.

3. Unsure if ref is going to give it, wait a bit longer to see if VAR confirms it, go mental if goal is given.

Like seriously, the amount of goals that'll be scored that will have a significant delay are going to be minimal over the course of a season and if it's awarded, you're going to go mental anyway. I mean, I know what you're like, you're definitely going to go mental regardless of when the goal is awarded.

On 22/06/2018 at 13:30, Sons FC said:

They said they would give yellow cards to players making the tv sign. They haven't so far.

You shouldn't listen to the crap commentators/studio "experts" comes out with regarding the laws of football, I thought everyone knew that by now.

The line in the LotG reads: "•  excessively using the ‘review’ (TV screen) signal". I have missed a few games but in those I've seen all tv-screen signals by players have been short and fairly low key and pretty far from being excessive.

10 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

You shouldn't listen to the crap commentators/studio "experts" comes out with regarding the laws of football, I thought everyone knew that by now.

The line in the LotG reads: "•  excessively using the ‘review’ (TV screen) signal". I have missed a few games but in those I've seen all tv-screen signals by players have been short and fairly low key and pretty far from being excessive.

Well done Mr W. 

Good update.

8 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Another bull**** day.

Irrati was the main guy in VAR room. :D

1 minute ago, Gazza D said:

I absolutely ****ing love it. Couldn't take a full 38 games like that every season though :lol:

From mid-way through the season, things normalized in Italy. The stuff happening on WC is ridiculous. So many penalties.

Once VAR is fully accepted and a mainstay of all football competitions, the next focus has to be on making sure we actually get 90 mins of football. 

A simple stop watch when the ball goes out of play will suffice :) Surely they can't **** this up? 

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

A simple stop watch when the ball goes out of play will suffice :)

But VAR is only making a bad situation worse. I've been astounded over the years at PL match stats that consistently show the ball is in play for less than 40 minutes a match. With VAR those figures have to be getting towards 30 minutes.

Just now, warlock said:

But VAR is only making a bad situation worse. I've been astounded over the years at PL match stats that consistently show the ball is in play for less than 40 minutes a match. With VAR those figures have to be getting towards 30 minutes.

That's bollocks. VAR barely affects the game as on average the number of times a referee goes to check the monitors probably averages out at <1/game. 

And a stop of the clock while the referee goes to check makes sense anyway. Injury time is pointless - sooner we do away with it and just focus on playing for 90 minutes the better. I don't really care if the game takes 2 hours instead of 90 mins, I don't want to spend 30 mins of the 90 watching the ball in the stands or a goalkeeper organising the wall. 

2 minutes ago, Nordan said:

The average game has around 55 mins of ball in play.

Yet we get 2-5 mins injury time every game. It's a bit embarrassing really. We can **** and moan at Americans for their constant stoppages and say their sports are boring or whatever, but at least they get the full value of what they're paying for. Football is a total joke in this regard. 

VAR is great, the only issue tonight was a team pressuring the ref all match (and by the way they had been pressuring the ref pre match already, by claiming Iran is consistently hard done by compared to the big teams etc), and the ref not having the cool to distance himself from the pressure and take neutral decisions.

There's nothing wrong with the ref having to go check a screen three times in the last 20 minutes, **** happens, by chance there was 3 important moments to review there, it's better than him calling it without having the full picture and accidentally sending a nation home wrongly.

This would've been an equally disrupted, start-stop, buckets-of-drama match without the VAR anyway. Tensions were high with important things at stake and with contenders constantly trying to play the ref. I didn't even think it took that long to call it tbh.

13 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yeah, I misremembered :idiot:. But 55 minutes is an awful long way from 90.

But has games ever been close to 90 minutes of actual action? The standard of 55-60 minutes of ball-in-play has been around at least as long as I've been watching football.

I support VAR but some of these refs (both on the pitch and VAR truck) clearly haven't got used to these things yet.

In the Portuguese league it is used much less, mainly on situations like offside goals where you can't have two ways about it. It either is, or isn't. Yet here at the WC it's being called up all the time for any dubious shenanigans in some matches, yet in others not even used for clear penalties (looking at you Germany-Sweden).

I'm sure after most leagues adopt it, it will start to normalize. No wonder these Paraguayans and whatnot are having a though time dealing with the pressure.

6 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

But has games ever been close to 90 minutes of actual action? The standard of 55-60 minutes of ball-in-play has been around at least as long as I've been watching football.

Which is why anyone with even a modicum of sense will be advocating for a 2x30 match with stop clock.

6 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

The standard of 55-60 minutes of ball-in-play has been around at least as long as I've been watching football.

I think it's been that way for a while, but it seems to me - old bloke, memory etc - that things have got much worse in recent years. Keepers didn't take minutes lining up the wall for free kicks; players didn't always argue every decision; corner takers didn't have to precisely position the ball by the millimetre for corners, etc, etc. 

Archived