Too strong U23s teams?

Hello, first post here.

I started a career with Crewe Alexandra, so 1st season in L2. The career is going so good, 17-18 i won promotion to L1 arriving 3rd, 18-19 I started not so well (6 points above relegation zone at the end of 1st half) then I managed a furious rally that finished losing at Bradford the next to last match of the season and I finished 7th. This season after 20 matches I'm fourth and I won the 2nd round of the League Cup vs Sheffield Wednesday (then losing 1-0 at Portman Road next round, with Ipswich now 11th in the Premiership). All these results with the fewest wage spending of the league (i keep my wage spending lower than wage budget to keep the overall balance afloat).

So I can't complain about results. I'm complaining about transfer system that, IMHO, ruins the game immersion and makes the game too easy.

In the 1st season I managed to borrow Kyle Scott, a 19 yo DM from Chelsea really strong for L2. No wage contribution required. I managed to keep him in the second season (still no wage contribution) and I borrowed Jason Eyenga (a 20 yo AMR from Palace) who won twice the Young Player of the Month in L1. No wage contribution for them. At about February I was able to extend the loan of Eyenga for 19-20 season, no wage. This season Eyenga won back-to-back (Sep and Oct) Young Player of the Month and I'm able to extend his loan til the end of the 20-21, as always for free.

I think it's not realistic to have a player of this caliber (it's 3.5 stars in my ability judgment, and his stats are so good) without spending any money for him and without his club trying to loan him to a Championship squad, even requiring for wage contribution.

Another problem: in the first two seasons the Football League Trophy was won by an U23s squad (Boro in 1st season, Arsenal in 2nd one). The U23s teams that pass the group stage are about 12/16 and in the last season 3 of the 4 semifinalists were U23s teams. I manage to see lots of good youngsters that stay in these clubs without being in the transfer lists or loaned to Football League clubs even for wage contributions. So it's too easy to borrow lots of good players, these teams are too strong and my league rivals are weakened by the AI logic.

I think it's a big issue to solve in FM19.

So it's the Loan system you aren't enjoying rather than the transfer system (buying/selling)?

There could be many reasons clubs loan players out, or not. The players you have t your club on loan are developing nicely and playing well, if they were loaned to aid development, the parent club is obviously happy with how you are developing them and allowing it to continue. They don;t ask for money as it's not a financial reason for loan, therefore they are happy to  invest in their player's development. 

I do the same with my players, I have about 4 or 5 out on loan at the moment because I don't need them, I want to get rid of them but noone was interested so am loaning them out as they won;t get game time with me. I pay as little as possible wage contribution, none if I can, because I want them off the budget. Hopefully, at the end of the loan period I will get some money from transfer, or they get loaned again until the contract runs out.

I also have a number of youngsters who are loaned out to aid their development, I am happy to pay their wages while they are on loan, because I am investing in the future of the club.

My age-group sides are still performing well in their competitions, top of their respective tables and last season u18s won the Youth Cup ad League - I would expect the Arsenal u23s to be quite a strong side, comparable to mid-table Championship perhaps, so not surprised they win the FLT, Boro have a strong youth system as well so no real surprise there that they won.

It sounds like you got some really good players on loan, for free, for whatever reason their parent club wanted to loan them out.

9 hours ago, RaymanSK said:

I think it's not realistic to have a player of this caliber (it's 3.5 stars in my ability judgment, and his stats are so good) without spending any money for him and without his club trying to loan him to a Championship squad, even requiring for wage contribution.

If he is 3.5 stars in relation to your squad, in L1, I would guess he''s maybe a 2-2.5 at best in the Prem League club, so not quite at First Team and borderline as rotation level, but scary good at u23 level. Makes sense for his parent club to loan him out. 

I must admit when I've managed lower league sides I've thought the loan system is a little bit unrealistic the way you can sign quality players for next to nothing. I've always exploited it to be honest, managed to get a few players on two-season loans (cannot be recalled) where they've been top Championship quality playing in my League One side.

Archived