Costa Rica vs Serbia 13:00 BST ITV

Andrew_

Df43rZ5X0AAAVk6.jpg

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

This will be the first ever encounter between Costa Rica and Serbia.

Costa Rica

Costa Rica have qualified for their fifth World Cup - they have reached the knockout stages in two of their four previous appearances (1990 and 2014).
Penalty shootouts excluded, Costa Rica were one of only three sides to remain unbeaten in the 2014 World Cup (alongside Germany and Netherlands).
Costa Rica have kept three clean sheets in their last four World Cup games, that's more than in their previous 11 games in the competition (2).
Costa Rica have also won their opening game at the World Cup in three of their previous four appearances, the only exception coming against hosts Germany in 2006 (2-4).
This will be Oscar Ramírez's first World Cup as a manager. He played every single minute of Costa Rica's 1990 World Cup campaign, in what was their first ever appearance in the competition.

Serbia

Serbia have lost their opening game by a 1-0 scoreline each time in their last two World Cup appearances.
Having inherited Yugoslavia and Serbia & Montenegro's records, this is Serbia's 12th World Cup participation, although it will be only their second tournament as an independent nation following 2010.
Serbia have failed to reach the knockout stages in their last two World Cup appearances (2006, 2010). In fact, over their last two participations, Serbia have lost five of their six group games (W1), their only win coming against Germany in 2010 (1-0).
Their best performance in the competition dates back to 1930 and 1962 when Yugoslavia finished fourth. Since then, whether as Yugoslavia or Serbia, they have never gone further than the quarter-finals.
Only Joshua Kimmich (9) provided more assists than Serbia's Dusan Tadic (7) in the European qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup.
Slavoljub Muslin was Serbia's manager in the entire World Cup 2018 qualifying phase, leading them to top spot in their group, before he left in October 2017 and was replaced by caretaker manager Mladen Krstajic.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting battle between the number 1s. You've got Lee Dixon's favourite goalkeeper versus a guy who wasn't good enough for Wigan a few years ago (and later flopped at Nottingham Forest).

I think Navas will have the busier afternoon. 3-0 to Serbia.

was reading about the 2014 World Cup yesterday and I completely forgot that Costa Rica beat Uruguay 3-1 in their opening group match :D

be interesting to see how Milinkovic-Savic does at this World Cup considering he's had a great season for Lazio in Serie A

Nice to see ITV take a break from patronising a woman to give us the latest news from the England camp.

4 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

The England players know the team, lads. Huge news. Huge.

We're going to win the World Cup! :p

Can’t see either of these getting through. Another group where arguably the weakest two teams play each other first and you’d want them to come out and really go for it if this is their best chance of a win. Might happen, might fizzle out like Morocco v Iran.

Don’t care for Serbia at all.

2 minutes ago, decapitated said:

This Serbia lineup seems good on paper, though they did sack the manager who helped them qualify for a guy who never managed a single team before which seems bizarre to me.

Yeah, because previous manager had issues with Sergej's agent and never called him up.

And Sergej is by far their best player. If he transfers his Lazio form to NT, that is.

Good start.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, because previous manager had issues with Sergej's agent and never called him up.

And Sergej is by far their best player. If he transfers his Lazio form to NT, that is.

Good start.

That makes sense, given how he's been playing in Serie A. Why choose a newbie manager though?

7 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

Savić flatters to deceive. I think i see now why Muslin never called him up. Serbian FA are a mess, getting rid of a manager just because one player isn't getting called up.:lol:

Venegas good for Costa Rica on the left.

Eh? 

He’s seemed pretty decent to me.

Wouldn't quite go as far as calling this turgid but I only have half an eye on it now, not enough happening to hold my interest. Each team is trying to win at least rather than avoid defeat unlike others we seen at this tournament, just not sure the quality is there.

5 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Wouldn't quite go as far as calling this turgid but I only have half an eye on it now, not enough happening to hold my interest. Each team is trying to win at least rather than avoid defeat unlike others we seen at this tournament, just not sure the quality is there.

Case in point there, shocking composure there by Mitrovic.

8 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Think I must be watching a different game to the pundits. Not sure Costa Rica have been better at all.

Agreed. Bar two headers in the first 11 minutes from Costa Rica they've not been a threat, Serbia been in control of the game so far and been the better side. 

Archived