Team cohesion: would this idea work?

At the helm of a PL team now, I was wondering about the time taken for team cohesion to get better.

I was thinking of a specific scenario that I would then implement as a "regular path" to First Squad.  I buy a youngster, and make it "mandatory" to play into the U23 squad for a year.  When I finally bring him into the First Squad, will team cohesion will take a hit or not?  Naturally, it could be two or three I bring in the First Squad but all spent at least a full year in U23 squad before moving up.  The question is will take a hit at all....

It depends on your path to first team, but yes, there will be a hit, and if you value the green lines between players, they will need to be built as well.

Make sure all your youngsters, 16 and onwards, are playing to First Team tactics.

Build coaching and recruitment teams who have the same or similar preferred formations as you want to play. (HoYD especially)

Promote them to the first Team squad a year earlier than normal, but have them 'Available for u23s' for 90 minutes. Gives them a year for personalities to gel.

Another season introducing them to first team action from the bench, occasional starts to cover injuries/cup games etc

I  think you will minimise the hit to cohesion if you use these techniques, but so much depends on character, personality and squad Dynamics.

I am trying to achieve something similar in my AC Milan save, it's not a quick process, give yourself 3-5 years before the structure (staff/facilities etc) is in place fully.

I wouldn't worry about team cohesion as much as tactical familiarity. A player needs time to settle into your system. He can play X role well, but within a system he may take time. The best way to speed that up...is make sure they play the same system. One tactic in one slot, and the tac familiarity shoots up very fast. Bringing new players in is something i do all the time, and I manage this by bringing them in matches where we have a strong chance of winning...so their development doesn't take a hit.

8 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I wouldn't worry about team cohesion as much as tactical familiarity. A player needs time to settle into your system. He can play X role well, but within a system he may take time. The best way to speed that up...is make sure they play the same system. One tactic in one slot, and the tac familiarity shoots up very fast. Bringing new players in is something i do all the time, and I manage this by bringing them in matches where we have a strong chance of winning...so their development doesn't take a hit.

As a slight aside Rashidi,I saw/read somewhere someone developing a new tactic at start of save, put the same initial tactic in all three slots. Thinking was it would develop familiarity even faster.

I haven't tried it properly yet - but would it increase familiarity quicker? One tactic in one slot and two empty slots.

I'm not convinced to be honest, was just wondering.

Archived