Agentina Vs Iceland. 1400BST ITV

decapitated

10 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

People definitely overreacting

Why?

As I said, they've been playing like this for the past 2 or so years.
Every game is basically a copy/paste of today's game.
Even if they won, I still wouldn't be optimistic for them.
No improvement whatsover.

I don't think they get eliminated from the group, but I don't see any possible way of them beating any of the top contenders.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really see why Argentina should get more any more respect for that performance than England did for their Euros exit.

At least England weren't leaving players of the calibre of Dybala on the bench to allow for more defensive midfielders

Argentina has been playinglike this for nearly 10 years. Very slow carry of the ball, defenders trying to create spaces through cut-in passes and failing miserably at that because they are...defenders. 

It's like watching 1960's football pace. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-arg-ice-penalty/icelands-zombie-film-keeper-outwits-messi-spot-kick-idUSKBN1JC0V0?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b25515604d3014d7a117e80&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Hannes Halldorsson used to make zombie films for a living but it was watching videos that let Iceland’s goalkeeper outwit Lionel Messi and save a penalty on Saturday that gave his side a shock World Cup point.

I did my homework,” the 34-year-old who plays in the Danish league told reporters after stopping a 64th-minute spot kick that pegged Argentina to a 1-1 draw and added to a miserable run of four misses from seven this past season for Messi.

“I looked at a lot of penalties by Messi and I also looked at how I had been behaving in the last penalties. So I tried to get into their mindset, how they would be thinking about me.”

“I had a good feeling it would go this way today,” he said of his dive to his right to stop Messi’s uninspired effort.

With the five-times world player of the year stepping up to restore Argentina’s lead in the Group D opener, tiny Iceland’s first ever appearance at the World Cup finals, Halldorsson admitted that he felt the pressure.

“For me, as a goalkeeper from little Iceland and at the first game at a World Cup, to face the best player in the world at a penalty is,” — he gave a long pause — “a big moment.”

“It’s a dream come true to save a penalty, especially if it helps us get a big point,” he added, as Iceland now aim to reach the next round from a group also featuring Croatia and Nigeria.

Argentina coach Jorge Sampaoli refused to blame Messi, who failed to find the net with 11 shots. His penalty added to a run that started with a miss for Barcelona in La Liga last August.

It was a contrast to long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid, whose hat-trick in Portugal’s 3-3 draw with Spain on Friday included a penalty and a free kick. Ronaldo was on Halldorsson’s mind for other reasons on Saturday, however, when asked why Icelanders celebrated so much when they only drew.

“Are you Cristiano Ronaldo’s uncle?” he asked the reporter — Ronaldo dismissed Iceland as “small minded” when they cheered a 1-1 draw with Portugal in their first match at Euro 2016.

“We were playing against one of the best teams in the world, against one of the best players in the world,” said Halldorsson, who also stopped a dangerous Cristian Pavon curler near the end and was named man of the match. “So, yes, we celebrated.”

Coach Heimir Hallgrimsson promised that more is to come. Satisfied at denying Argentina no space despite 72-percent possession, he even mused on missed chances that might have given victory.

But with trademark dark humor, the part-time coach and full-time dentist, conceded: “We wanted to use spaces behind them — but it’s difficult when you don’t have the ball.”

Croatia and Nigeria will have to watch out, though.

“People say we celebrate when we won a point,” he said. “But wait and see how we celebrate when we’ve won a game.”

I think Iceland showed that determined fight again to never give up, they play as a unit brilliantly and a lot of teams should take note of it, i absolutely love it, they are at the WC for a reason, qualified from a very difficult group, i love them :-)

The pen was poor, keeper did great to dive the right way and save it, best moment of the game.

1 minute ago, Goldy said:

I think Iceland showed that determined fight again to never give up, they play as a unit brilliantly and a lot of teams should take note of it, i absolutely love it, they are at the WC for a reason, qualified from a very difficult group, i love them :-)

The pen was poor, keeper did great to dive the right way and save it, best moment of the game.

Keeper's said in an interview he studied Messi's penalties and his own tendencies for the last few penalties to figure out the most likely place Messi would shoot. Worked decently enough, I suppose

Argentina were poor and all that, but it's not easy to play against this Iceland side.

The way they defend with 9 men is unnerving and frustrating, they're like '04 Greece. They have that gameplan and stick to it no matter what. It reaches a point where you don't know what else to do and lose your cool. I'm sure they'll try the same vs everyone no matter the result.

Still, the Argentinian defence was unnecessarily shaky. Rojo was never great as a CB in a 4 men defence and Salvio never played RB (at club level at least).

IMO Argentina's biggest problem isn't the build-up though... Iceland made it extra-difficult for them but against slightly less defensive sides they'd do just fine with all the quality they have up-front (provided Messi stops trying to win games by himself and starts cooperating).

However, defensively they looked shaky as hell even against a side that attacked like four times in the whole match.

Caballero is awful (unsurprisingly for a backup keeper at club level) and the rest of the line didn't seem to be particularly confident or reliable. If Iceland were able to create three good chances, Croatia will probably do much more damage. Especially on the counterattack.

Unless Sanpaoli comes up with a new tactical plan and the players get a hold of themselves, Argentina may as well be heading home after 3 games...

22 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Ronaldo would be called selfish for those stats. And for wanting to take penalties with such a poor record. Messi gets a free pass again though.

People complain about Ronaldo walking at certain points during matches

People write articles about how good Messi is at walking https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-walks-better-than-most-players-run/ :D 

Liberman: Messi missed penalty because Argentina canceled Israel game

Defense Minister suggests the soccer star's skills could have been sharper had team not pulled out of its final warm up game in Jerusalem in the wake of Palestinian pressure

Alright, Argies can pack it up.

Jew curse? Noone came back from that.

Archived