Southampton Premier League Champion: Is it Possible?

I've been coaching Southampton for a few seasons, the best I got was 4th place. I can't recall leading any small or mid club to win a major national league anywhere.

Is it realistic to lead Southampton to win the Premier League? More broadly, any other examples in other countries.

If yes, what are the main strategies to achieve that? Thanks.

Is it realistic? Probably not over 'a few seasons'

Is it possible? Absolutely yes! This is Football Manager , anything is possible.

As for strategies, I can only give you a broad-brush idea of how I might approach it:

I'm not that familiar with Southampton in the game, but, it would be a long-term strategy required, developing youth would be core to this strategy as Saints have a youth good system already in place. Upgrade as much as you can in terms of facilities there but you are still looking at five seasons minimum to reap the benefits from your first youth intake, so patience is definitely required.

It gives you a chance to develop a club 'DNA' so you are bringing in youth that will grow into your system easily, playing the same systems through u18s and u23s as your first team are. Selection of HOYD and youth coaches as influence here.

Sensible transfer policy needed as well, as there isn't the huge budgets available, but, if you are getting to 4th you are doing something right with it already. Just ensure the players you bring in fit the 'Club DNA' as well.

Saints are an interesting project, one I am tempted by because there is such good potential for growth there, but i can't get away from the 'career save' mentality so always tend to start at the bottom.

Is it realistic to lead Southampton to win the Premier League? More broadly, any other examples in other countries.

leicester city.

Did you mean a real life example or in FM ? 

Long-term, yes, for youself, anyway. Long-term saves tend to be a steady progress where sides improve and improve -- in particular if you treat a club like a lifetime commitment. The same as in any management game, which are games after all. On the AI front, clubs don't tend to improve and improve their squads though, and no AI manager treads any club as a lifetime commitment. :DStay a further years and you may be getting somewhere. First season(s), it's a bit different, but,... ya.

1161642d1526675947-lifechanger-classic-4

As the goal difference, in particular goals scored, gives a bit away --  that's winning it by scoring a record breaking amount of badly or not at all defended goals by abusing  engine / AI weakness over and over  (which football doesn't have). Additionally, it would carry over in the next season, and then the next one, whilst in football, "surprises" tend to be corrected fairly quickly as over the span of just 30-40 matches, a lot is possible. And big time influenced by random chance -- which a sports where the most common scorelines are 2-1, 1-0, 1-1 etc. has an abundance of.

I don't think FM is able to simulate the Leicester season as such for a host of reasons. The CA/PA system can't simulate a Vardy rise from obscurity to international spotlight, for a start. Plus... realistic finishing streaks are not a thing in FM (really, whenever big sides underperform in FM, which was required in that Leicester season to some degree too, it can be already seen in the in-game shot tables that their grip on a league oft isn't as dominating as it tends to be in football). However, it's likely doable with a bit of exploitsand/or luck.

Why not in my save 2027 Liverpool get relegated after a turbulent few season where John Henry leaves the club and then there is a mass exodus of stars from the club. In fact that season LFC were rooted to the cellar for nearly the whole the season finishing with the worst GD in the league.

It seems to me more difficult than it was in previous versions. But to me that's a massive positive. But stick at it long enough having half an idea what you're doing then not so difficult.

Trouble with (great thing about) English Premier League is everyone has a lot of money. And you are fighting 4, 5, 6 teams who could/should hoover up top top players.

17 hours ago, Jibby123 said:

It seems to me more difficult than it was in previous versions. But to me that's a massive positive. But stick at it long enough having half an idea what you're doing then not so difficult.

Trouble with (great thing about) English Premier League is everyone has a lot of money. And you are fighting 4, 5, 6 teams who could/should hoover up top top players.

Yep - as a long term project it's perfect with Southampton. Potentially build the club to the size of one of the top 5 or 6 and competet for the very best players.

It is definitely possible, but you have to build your squad with very long term goals in mind. That means signing players who fit your ethos, the way you play, and trying to develop them into excellent players for your squad. If you have an idea for how you want to play, then you can identify players who fit that style. Further, be picky with your players. Buy players who fit in your squad and your squad ethos. For example, I tend to look for professional players who have high determination and high teamwork. I want to create something a team that is not reliant on a single excellent player, but is more than the sum of its parts. Similarly, I will not worry about star ratings with players, but on how they play for me. If I have a player with 2.5 stars, but who is consistently doing what I need him to do, I will not look to bring someone else in to replace him based solely on a star rating. I will of course keep my eye open for suitable players who may be an upgrade, but not actively try to overhaul my squad every single year.

Scouting is key when you want to do this. You really need to spend a good amount of time looking through players to really identify interesting targets. When I am playing as a smaller side, I am shortlisting players who I may want to sign in 2 or even 3 years time, potentially. Keeping an eye on them to see if they develop. I will actively scout myself lots and lots of players who I may not know, using filters to make sure they fit into my squad ethos. Scouting them to get their stats revealed is all I really need to do, and rescouting to get up to date asking prices, happiness, etc. It is very different to playing as a big club where you can afford to just try to bring in a marquee world class signing each summer to keep your squad world class. It is all about the long term. In particular, I always make sure I have replacements for my star players identified, in case a bigger club comes in for my best players. That way, losing my best players is not as important, because I know I can get a player who will slot into the side equally well. 

Finally, it is all about patience. Do not worry about having a dodgy season here or there, if you are certain you are still on track with your squad building. Always keep the ultimate goal in mind, and do not worry if you are not improving your position year in and year out. You may have a wonderful season and finish 3rd, for example, followed by a season where you play the same, but get a 6th place because other teams around you have better years. Do not be demoralised! It is not easy, but it is rewarding. 

Archived