Sports Interactive Community
git2thachoppa

FIFA reveal new qualification spots and replacement playoff tournament (to be ratified)

Technically speaking, in 2006 Australia were there as an Oceania team.

Taiwan's football seems to be preparing for a big overhaul too. One of the classic university teams got dumped out before this season for what critics call an "expat team" although half its squad is Taiwanese and it runs an extensive academy, and they're just a football team (not a uni team, an army team or a company team like the big 2 Tatung and Taipower). It's a first step towards helping create a proper professional league which Gary White, as manager, is attempting to introduce. They had a pretty disastrous outing this month in India with a weakened squad but the first signs are there that it could be improving. Taiwan is one of the strongest economies in Asia, has a decent population size (23 million iirc) and is starting to embrace football so the potential is there. India is making huge strides with the introduction of the Indian Premier League in 2014 attempting to create a truly professional league and increase the standard of domestic players while exposing them to high quality foreign players and managers, and their national team has improved. The amount of investment they're putting into the youth team structures is also paying dividends.

11 hours ago, himan said:

I'm totally disagreeing with people who say Asia isn't good enough. The FIFA ranking is totally biased against them right now. I mean Japan at this moment is at place 63, while most of us think they may qualify from their group, so they are probably top 32 of the world right now. Asian teams are underrated and get heavier draws for that. Still in 2010 and 2002 both Japan and S. Korea reached the second round at least. Australia did that in 2006. And the teams beneath them will come up slowly. India has gone up 50 places, Thailand starts to be very dangerous. Not Brazil, but Indonesia is the most populous nation with Football as their most important sport. In 12-16 years Asia will shock big time. And especially the difference between for example Slovakia and Uzbekistan will not be that big. I can also make the same argument for Africa.(not really for NAM and Oceania though.)

Though if we want a WC with just possible winners we should just make one with 3 from the America's 4 teams from Europe and 1 from th rest of the World. With 48 teams everything starts to be evenly mediocre and we should add more African and Asian teams in the party.

Most of who? 

Japan have every chance to finish bottom of their group.

11 hours ago, himan said:

I'm totally disagreeing with people who say Asia isn't good enough. The FIFA ranking is totally biased against them right now. I mean Japan at this moment is at place 63, while most of us think they may qualify from their group, so they are probably top 32 of the world right now. Asian teams are underrated and get heavier draws for that. Still in 2010 and 2002 both Japan and S. Korea reached the second round at least. Australia did that in 2006. And the teams beneath them will come up slowly. India has gone up 50 places, Thailand starts to be very dangerous. Not Brazil, but Indonesia is the most populous nation with Football as their most important sport. In 12-16 years Asia will shock big time. And especially the difference between for example Slovakia and Uzbekistan will not be that big. I can also make the same argument for Africa.(not really for NAM and Oceania though.)

The same world rankings have Saudi Arabia, who don't look remotely good enough to be at the World Cup never mind have a guaranteed spot, three places above the European team that absolutely thrashed them (which probably wouldn't have qualified if they hadn't been the hosts). 

Sure, I can believe that Indonesia and Thailand will have competent teams one day, but maybe wait until they're capable of beating a minnow by world footballing standards like Australia or Iran before making space for them with the big boys.

4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

The same world rankings have Saudi Arabia, who don't look remotely good enough to be at the World Cup never mind have a guaranteed spot, three places above the European team that absolutely thrashed them (which probably wouldn't have qualified if they hadn't been the hosts). 

Sure, I can believe that Indonesia and Thailand will have competent teams one day, but maybe wait until they're capable of beating a minnow by world footballing standards like Australia or Iran before making space for them with the big boys.

But world rankings don't work for hosts too.(and they were placed in pot 1, nevertheless) Also Saudi Arabia ****ed up everything in their preparation for this WC. I think there are many Asian teams who could show better stuff. 

42 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Most of who? 

Japan have every chance to finish bottom of their group.

And every chance to finish first...

12 hours ago, himan said:

I mean Japan at this moment is at place 63, while most of us think they may qualify from their group, so they are probably top 32 of the world right now.

I reckon Japan has a chance to qualify to last 16, but I would say most see them as the least likely team to qualify from their group. Checking "which teams will qualify from their group" thread here, 0 out of 13 has Japan advancing.

Japan lost most of their warmup games so I think you're in a distinct minority in thinking they're favourites to top the group.

World rankings are far from the most accurate things, but Japan aren't being harshly treated being at the same level as a Mali side they couldn't beat, and Saudi Arabia are massively flattered and helped by the ranking (and qualification) system putting them ahead of the Cote D Ivoire (a much better side, despite a horrible AFCON campaign)

I've never stated that they are favorites. I've stated they can top their group and that they belong in the best 32 teams of the world. 

What I really want in Qualification is: Make 47 groups of 4 or 5. Draw which one of them may host the qualification and the winners play the World Cup. Than the small teams play the big teams and there is no moaning about this whole confederation nonsense.

1 minute ago, himan said:

I've never stated that they are favorites. I've stated they can top their group and that they belong in the best 32 teams of the world. 

What I really want in Qualification is: Make 47 groups of 4 or 5. Draw which one of them may host the qualification and the winners play the World Cup. Than the small teams play the big teams and there is no moaning about this whole confederation nonsense.

I think the Qualifiers should be continent-based, without mixing teams from the continents or you'll end up in practice with a 200+ team World Cup.

12 minutes ago, PMLF said:

I think the Qualifiers should be continent-based, without mixing teams from the continents or you'll end up in practice with a 200+ team World Cup.

So? we now have a 48-team World Cup And it will not shrink, this will only grow. Why not doing it big and make it a 212 team World Cup?

1 hour ago, himan said:

So? we now have a 48-team World Cup And it will not shrink, this will only grow. Why not doing it big and make it a 212 team World Cup?

1 hour ago, himan said:

So when some really (financially) poor national FA has to to bring their side to the other half of the world to play another very poor side who covers the costs for them?

3 extra slots for Europe? Scotland would still fail.

they had to make it bigger because they added 3 host nations, which is beyond stupid imo

10 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

they had to make it bigger because they added 3 host nations, which is beyond stupid imo

3 host nations has nothing to do with that. It was 48 teams before there was 3 nations hosting.

2 hours ago, G-Man11 said:

So when some really (financially) poor national FA has to to bring their side to the other half of the world to play another very poor side who covers the costs for them?

FIFA is capable to cover costs, I think? From Tahiti to American Samoa is as hard as Tahiti to France.

2 hours ago, scott MUFC said:

3 extra slots for Europe? Scotland would still fail.

There are 3 host nations because it is bigger, not the other way around.

Indonesia is a long, long way to be in their 2nd World Cup. Football is very popular, but it's not improving over the years despite small-but-steady steps to the right direction. Managers are underpaid, physios are poorly educated, players don't want to hear they aren't good enough, and training methods and facilities aren't up to standard.

And when they have a good national-team manager, they expect instant results.

I expect Thailand to make it to the World Cup earlier.

On 17/06/2018 at 15:50, himan said:

Worldwide qualifying :cool:

I think some form of that would be quite cool, a lot of big countries who never get to host the big international teams at home.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Worldwide qualifying :cool:

I think some form of that would be quite cool, a lot of big countries who never get to host the big international teams at home.

Well a 48-team World Cup should always be hosted by at least 2 countries. I only see Germany,France, England, USA and China not being crippled by hosting such a world cup. Cause the facilities are already there or they should be there(China...) And no offence but I'm still waiting for the Dutch World Cup. Though the people don't want it. We should work together with at least Belgium and probably Germany, France, England or Scandinavia. 12-14 stadiums for 40000 people is ridiculous for a country like the Netherlands, but I think it's the best country that has never hosted the WC.

On 18/06/2018 at 00:25, georginho_juventusygr said:

Indonesia is a long, long way to be in their 2nd World Cup. Football is very popular, but it's not improving over the years despite small-but-steady steps to the right direction. Managers are underpaid, physios are poorly educated, players don't want to hear they aren't good enough, and training methods and facilities aren't up to standard.

And when they have a good national-team manager, they expect instant results.

I expect Thailand to make it to the World Cup earlier.

In terms of "sleeping giants", India are steadily improving too. They're developing their facilities and going for youth World Cups to test out their team, and their ability to host tournaments. If I remember correctly, the U17 World Cup last year was one of the, of not the best attended U17 WC ever, and their next aim is to host the U20 World Cup before eventually looking to host the World Cup proper in the 2030s.

I now remember this topic, where everybody said Japan was rubbish except me :lol: Even I didn't thought this.

Edited by himan

Just what we need more subpar Saudi Arabia & Panama type sides. How many African/Asian/Concacaf made it to the last 16 of this years world cup. Two, & one of them is Mexico, who have always been a different level to the rest.

2 hours ago, YOUNGSTEVE said:

Just what we need more subpar Saudi Arabia & Panama type sides. How many African/Asian/Concacaf made it to the last 16 of this years world cup. Two, & one of them is Mexico, who have always been a different level to the rest.

Better than having too many Europeans though.

18 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Plenty of mediocre European teams too anyway, like Poland this time.

8 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Having no Italy, Scotland or Netherlands was weird though.

20 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

One of these is not like the others.

.... they play in orange instead of blue.

5 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Germany and co. have already been subpar, now imagine a supposed great team that's even worse at the football.

One of the few positives is this will allow the Asian, American etc. teams to get better by experiencing tournament football against European sides (in theory, as 2 qualifying out of a group of 3 might see bland and Germany-Austria/Poland-Japan situations) in the same way Iran has. We're already seeing that most teams realise the importance of defence and it's caused these shock results.

Edited by git2thachoppa

5 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

He's got a point.