Opening game: Russia v Saudi Arabia (Group A, 1600BST)

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

What happened to VAR by the way? Fourth goal was all kinds of offside in the build up.

The Dzyuba flick to Cheryshev? He was marginally offside, certainly arguable that it wasn't a clear mistake for the linesman to make (in allowing play to continue). 

Maybe they didn't have enough conclusive angles to judge it offside? 

I agree it was offside fwiw, but it was maybe a couple of inches on the far side from the linesman, and the two players were wrestling for position - not an easy call. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saudi had some decent passing and movement for a few minutes at the start of the game. Some of their players looked technically sound.

That defending was absolute comedy of the highest value, though. 

8 hours ago, Wigmore said:

13/2 for the 0-0 on bet365, all over that.

6 hours ago, Wigmore said:

TSHABALALAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Again, this is going to be 0-0, there is no situation where either of these teams score a goal.

Those taking part in the end of the year quiz remember this.

In June how much money did @Wigmore win on the first game at the World Cup?

Edited by daylight

Just finishing watching it now on delay...Saudi Arabia have been terrible, Russia look decent but they'll wilt against decent opposition no doubt.  Good opening game overall, one sided but at least there were goals.

1 minute ago, daylight said:

Those taking part in the end of the year quiz remember this.

In June how much money did @Wigmore win on the first game at the World Cup?

The answer is minus £1, for those that are keeping count.

The question I will ask will probably be total amount lost on bets at the World Cup though, which will most likely be minus £64 since I’ll be putting a pound on every game.

Wait a sec....

You said ..

5 minutes ago, daylight said:

13/2 for the 0-0 on bet365, all over that

.... and you bet a quid!?  :D

6 minutes ago, daylight said:

Weird, it said quote this post? I clicked yes and it only quoted that part of the post, not the entire post.

Fair enough. 

Yeah it seems like a bug more than anything else tbf, not sure why exactly it would transfer the quote from Wigmore to you, but that's what has happened. 

35 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

£7.50 if I won, that’s a whole meal at KFC!

It's about £10 on deliveroo. Worth it, means I don't have to mix with the people who buy their dinner in there. 

"boss boss, I want a tigh ok, na man, don't be giving me no leg" 

Just finished the game. Enjoyable start to the tournament with Russia showing some exciting attacking flair and the match in general being pretty open.

Don't feel Saudi Arabia deserved to lose 5-0. I felt 4-0 was a bit harsh tbh. Russia definitely the better team, by a good way, but also don't feel that they showed enough to make me think they will be a threat to the latter stages, but they've done about as well as you could ever expect in their first match.

Cracking second goal by Cheryshev, and Golovin looks a decent player - his free kick at the death was beautifully placed, and supplied a couple of nice assists.

5 hours ago, sebsy said:

Just finished the game. Enjoyable start to the tournament with Russia showing some exciting attacking flair and the match in general being pretty open.

Don't feel Saudi Arabia deserved to lose 5-0. I felt 4-0 was a bit harsh tbh. Russia definitely the better team, by a good way, but also don't feel that they showed enough to make me think they will be a threat to the latter stages, but they've done about as well as you could ever expect in their first match.

Cracking second goal by Cheryshev, and Golovin looks a decent player - his free kick at the death was beautifully placed, and supplied a couple of nice assists.

agreed really enjoyed that it was a good open game

Golovin looked very good not just his general play his work rate on the press was up there

there was/is a lot of interest in him sure teams will be kicking themselves if they havent got a deal in place pre WC as if he continues like this he is going to cost a lot more

will be interesting to see how he/Russia go when up against the better teams

very positive start to the tournament :thup:

Edited by kingrobbo

Liked this game a lot. Very promising opening game of the tournament. Pity Dzagoev went off injured though. Golovin played a good match, interest of clubs will only get bigger after this.  

2 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Think people need to chill re Golovin, after one game VS Saudi Arabia.

Loved Cheryshev's finishes.

It's not one game though. He has been doing well at club level consistently and has been linked to a number of top clubs over the last few months.

ITV had already cut away from the opening ceremony when Williams "flipped the bird" while singing his 2000 track Rock DJ.

What!!? he didn't sing Rock DJ!!?  Did we not see the entire opening ceremony?  

I'm so disappointed.  That's my fav :(

22 hours ago, JDownie said:

Maybe they didn't have enough conclusive angles to judge it offside? 

I agree it was offside fwiw, but it was maybe a couple of inches on the far side from the linesman, and the two players were wrestling for position - not an easy call. 

He was deemed as being onside by the VAR. They have some 3D positioning video thingy for offside calls (a few extra cameras than VAR normally use) so in theory they should always have enough angles.

22 hours ago, JDownie said:

The Dzyuba flick to Cheryshev? He was marginally offside, certainly arguable that it wasn't a clear mistake for the linesman to make (in allowing play to continue). 

"clear mistake" isn't a relevant standard for offside, that's for judgement calls.

22 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

He was deemed as being onside by the VAR. They have some 3D positioning video thingy for offside calls (a few extra cameras than VAR normally use) so in theory they should always have enough angles.

"clear mistake" isn't a relevant standard for offside, that's for judgement calls.

Ah, fair enough. Had no idea. 

As for the second part, you're correct of course. Not sure what I was thinking, obviously offside is offside, it's not debatable :D

23 minutes ago, JDownie said:

As for the second part, you're correct of course. Not sure what I was thinking, obviously offside is offside, it's not debatable :D

Tbf it has been a source of confusion how you apply VAR to offside, among referees too. But they clarified that it was a factual decision ahead of the WC, especially as they added a few cameras especially for the added offside checks so now it is a yes/no decision same as GLT.