Opening game: Russia v Saudi Arabia (Group A, 1600BST)

32 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Osama aside, Saudi Arabia have been pretty poor.

No way they're taking any points from this group. I doubt they'll even score.

I know it was a friendly, but they surprisingly looked very threatening against Germany in which they only lost 2-1.

In regards to the match, Golovin looks a really tidy player. Can see why he has been linked with big teams.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it's time for the dude who played for Levante last season. Apparently quite promising.

I don't care about the quality of football, I just want it to be entertaining. Case in point: I watched Tuvalu vs Matabeleland, arguably two of the weakest teams in an already pretty amateur competition, and it was a fantastic game even though the quality was sorely lacking.

Edited by Heartwork
7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, EURO should definitely be 16. Maybe 16 is steep for the WC, but I want to see quality football, not amateurs parading.

So you want the same as the CL, every time the same teams?

5 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I just want it to be entertaining.

Agreed, but Russia is probably the weakest European team in the competition and they're still two classes above Saudis.

That's not entertaining. Teams have to be evenly matched for it to be entertaining.

1 minute ago, MarcxD said:

So you want the same as the CL, every time the same teams?

Outdise of top 5-6 that are always the same, anyway, teams change all the time.

Edited by GunmaN1905
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That's not entertaining. Teams have to be evenly matched for it to be entertaining.

woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. woah. Surely you dont even believe what you're writing there

1 minute ago, elgreenio said:

woah woah woah woah woah woah woah. woah. Surely you dont even believe what you're writing there

In terms of performance on the pitch, not names.

I don't find entertainment in one sided games (result wise).

3-0 Dzyuba.

128 in a straight knock out format. No seeding, just a big free-for all. I think there are a few more than 128 teams, so allow as many byes as you need in the first round based on World Rankings.

Edit: Or make up the numbers to 256 with some of those fake countries @Heartwork is always banging on about ;)

Edited by m_fenton
16 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

What? Not gonna flag for offside if the ball's still in play? So could play for 2 minutes after an offside, end up scoring then get called back for offside? :D

Imagine this: your team is defending, your opponent passes to an attacker who's just onside. His shot is saved and your team breaks and scores.

Would you prefer the linesman flags offside and your goal never happens?

3-0 now, good for Russia to score as many goals as possible as the Saudis will certainly lose all games, so goal difference may be useful.

Just now, Citizen Kane said:

is it Golovin the midfielder? I thought one of their top players was injured or was it him

he's one of the potential stars of Russian football, had a good game today

1 minute ago, Citizen Kane said:

is it Golovin the midfielder? I thought one of their top players was injured or was it him

Golovin is still on, Dzagoev got injured in the first half, both arguably their best players.

2 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

128 in a straight knock out format. No seeding, just a big free-for all. I think there are a few more than 128 teams, so allow as many byes as you need in the first round based on World Rankings.

Edit: Or make up the numbers to 256 with some of those fake countries @Heartwork is always banging on about ;)

Tuvalu's a real country dude

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

In terms of performance on the pitch, not names.

I don't find entertainment in one sided games (result wise).

3-0 Dzyuba.

Agree with this (though not your qualification stuff). Never get the interest from non-fans of the club in watching Barca types smash midtable sides, find it boring as **** but some people seem to jizz all over it.

I think Saudi Arabia are better than they've shown here, but for all their decent passing and skill they've gone absolutely nowhere.

So easy to play knowing they're not going to try and cut you open and will give it you back eventually.

And that defending...

Just now, Chr1s Lawson said:

Can imagine a comedy video on YouTube of this Saudi team after the game

At least they didn't lose 0-8 this time.

1 minute ago, Chase Failey said:

We've had goals, this game has been better than I expected. I'll take that

indeed, at least it's not a 0-0 borefest

superb finish from Cheryshev finishes it off in style for Russia