Opening game: Russia v Saudi Arabia (Group A, 1600BST)

Rob1981

3 minutes ago, Ricky Button said:

That was Ronaldo.

:lol:

I was genuinely so confused as to why Craig Charles would be there, didn't even clock he was actually talking about Ronaldo :D

Comparison is spot on though hahaha

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Yup, 34 now :D

The go to guy to bring to Man City when they first got unlimited funds. Amazin on the left wing. :D

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

No Berezutski brothers, boo.

As for that penalty, I don't remember that :lol: Was still a kid so '94 is foggy for me. And it was really late kick-offs.

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Did Bilic just say no one expected Suker to be a star at 98? :/ 

They were also trying to say no one predicted James Rodriguez, I remember a lot of people were touting him as a star ffs :D

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

They were also trying to say no one predicted James Rodriguez, I remember a lot of people were touting him as a star ffs :D

I can't speak for 98, but I don't think anybody was expecting James to be the star of WC14, certainly nobody thought he'd be the best player at the tournament. 

1 minute ago, Citizen Kane said:

what did Wright say to Dixon. Zhirkov was pretty excellent before the Chelsea move. 

Wright was saying how he never went to a World Cup but he would have gone in 98 had he not got an injury, then Dixon pipped in saying don't worry I never went to a World Cup either, to which Wright said yeah but I was close 

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

I can't speak for 98, but I don't think anybody was expecting James to be the star of WC14, certainly nobody thought he'd be the best player at the tournament. 

Don't think people predicted him best player of the tournament or anything (though I did have him top scorer at 80/1 :brock:)  but I remember he was talked about as a potential break out star. Not at Messi/Ronaldo levels or anything, but there was a definite case of "look out for this guy, he's good"

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Don't think people predicted him best player of the tournament or anything (though I did have him top scorer at 80/1 :brock:)  but I remember he was talked about as a potential break out star. Not at Messi/Ronaldo levels or anything, but there was a definite case of "look out for this guy, he's good"

Oh without a doubt, yes. But the difference between saying someone is one for the future and then that player grabbing the bull by the horns and announcing himself at the WC are two totally different things. 

Had James had an above average tournament then gone on to a decent career then fair enough. But he secured a move to Real Madrid because he looked like one of the best players in the world 4 years ago in July. 

Hasn't really worked out that way for him, but he's still an elite player.

2 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Feels like it's being exaggerated just how bad Russia are, think they'll comfortably win this opener.

Yes, I think so too. They will probably reach the round of 16.

to go back to 1998, Suker was at Real Madrid so he wasn't exactly an unknown striker

people didn't expect Croatia to end 3rd but they probably expected him to score some goals considering the club side he was playing for

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

Feels like it's being exaggerated just how bad Russia are, think they'll comfortably win this opener.

They shoould grab a win today. Russia ain't nothing extraordinary, but KSA is probably the worst team in the whole tournament.

2 minutes ago, TM said:

to go back to 1998, Suker was at Real Madrid so he wasn't exactly an unknown striker

people didn't expect Croatia to end 3rd but they probably expected him to score some goals considering the club side he was playing for

Big upside of that team was that a lot of key players didn't play a lot of minutes throughout the season and were well rested.
If Boškić didn't get injured, even finals were possible.

Oh well.

3 minutes ago, TM said:

and he was joint 2nd top scorer at Euro 96 

Just now, TM said:

IIRC Suker was the topscorer of the European qualifiers, one of the best players at EURO 1996, had some really good seasons in the Spanish league etc.

He wasn't the favourite to become topscorer, but hardly a total surprise like Schillaci in 1990.

1 minute ago, Orzelek said:

They shoould grab a win today. Russia ain't nothing extraordinary, but KSA is probably the worst team in the whole tournament.

Agree, just feels like Russia are being put closer to the Saudis than anything, which is a bit farfetched. Watched some of their friendlies in recent times and they really haven't looked that bad.

Archived