What's your manager name?

I always call myself Ron, as a nod to the old-school 1980s era, when all managers had this name. I think I've been doing this since before The Fast Show's Ron Manager character. When managing Wimbledon, I'm Ron Wandle, Wandle being the name of a river that runs through the Wimbledon area, and it also sounds a bit like "[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles]Womble[/url]". When managing Brighton, I'm Ron Haddock, since Brighton's by the sea, and also after Tintin's Captain Haddock character (no relation to Brighton).

What's your manager name?

6 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I call myself by my real name... as I like to play as me...

I use my own date of birth, height and so on. I used to add ten years to my age, to make it feel more realistic, but I don't need to do that any more. I even used the upload your own photo feature this year. Essentially "Ron Wandle" is me, or my footballing alter-ego.

25 minutes ago, Ron Wandle said:

I use my own date of birth, height and so on. I used to add ten years to my age, to make it feel more realistic, but I don't need to do that any more. I even used the upload your own photo feature this year. Essentially "Ron Wandle" is me, or my footballing alter-ego.

Why not call yourself by your actual name? genuinely interested.

7 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Why not call yourself by your actual name? genuinely interested.

I guess because it's a game and I'm not a real football manager in life. I'm playing a fictional character who is a real football manager. It's escapism - I don't see any reason to see my own name in the game.

5 minutes ago, Ron Wandle said:

I guess because it's a game and I'm not a real football manager in life. I'm playing a fictional character who is a real football manager. It's escapism - I don't see any reason to see my own name in the game.

Fair enough, never really considered calling the manager anything but my own name.. the escapism for me is in me myself becoming the manager of a professional football team... nice to get a different perspective though.

I never call the manager my own name... I play in various countries and for role-play, it'd be weird that they'd hire a random inexperienced foreigner. And I quite enjoy creating the 'characters'. Uxue Etxegarai is Basque, Olivier Befve is French, etc.

Unless I'm managing as "me", in my hometown (which only has a NPSL-minor-league level team), I create a manager persona for the country or area I'm going to be managing in. My main save (started in Switzerland, moved to Germany) is a German manager named after my grandpa, just because I get a kick of seeing "Duke Seeger" winning the league or blowing up in the locker room. I've even uploaded Jimmy Buffett's face to use for a Caribbean-based save. (I really need to get out more...)

40 minutes ago, olivetti said:

And I quite enjoy creating the 'characters'. Uxue Etxegarai is Basque, Olivier Befve is French, etc.

Great names! I've had a look at some old saves to see what I've called myself in previous incarnations. 

When I used the Create-a-Club mode to create the new Rio de Janeiro club Copacabana, I see I called myself João Veloso, a combination of a couple of Brazilian musicians. Looking back, it would have been better to have followed my Ron formula and called myself Ronaldo or a variation of. Using the name of a local landmark as the surname, I would now, if ever to play as a Brazilian manager again, call myself Reinaldo Açúcar, which translates as Ron Sugar (Pão de Açúcar, or Sugarloaf Mountain, is the famous mountain in Rio).

I also managed in Indonesia with the name Rahmat Manajer. Rahmat was, I think, the closest real Indonesian name I could think of to Ron, and Manajer was just a play on the word "manager".

well, i always start my main save of the 2 year i have played as a latin/british since my name fit that very well, but if im managing in say spain i will give the manager a spanish name like "Alejandro Gutierrez" or "Jose Maria Ordaz" for weird spelling nation i normally google common names for that nation, thats how the estonian Razvan Tamm was born

I couldn't play as 'me' - it wouldn't be realistic. Usually, I'm Wily Coyote, half-Mexican former international. In the lower English leagues, I'm usually Nobby Charlton - born on the day Manchester United won the World Cup (with a little help from West Ham!)

Perhaps my favourite was inspired by a one-off save when i discovered there's a team in the lower Italian leagues called Matelica. So I created a Swiss-Italian manager called Rolf Sandman - just so I could call the save 'Matelica: Enter Sandman'.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

When I manage in Scotland I add "Mc" to my surname. 

So: Phnompen McHandy?  :-)

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

also add my wife as chairman since she controls the purse-strings in real life!

too true - gives me an idea!

It depends! I rarely use my actual name, since I like to add a little more fantasy to the game! My current manager is called Stel Petrovskyi, who I have set as Croatian and imagine as a player who played in the WC '98 era. Nothing beats a bit of roleplay to add to the makeup of a game!

The favourite name I used was when I was doing a save in Scandinavia; Flóki Vilgerðarson. Inspired by the Vikings character based on the first person to sail to Iceland. The main problem being constantly forgetting how to pronounce the thing!

I also like to use fictional names, often with some kind of twist; Jose Loser in Spain, last save was Jean-Franck Dissasteur in France and just started a new save as Enrico Horribile in Italy. South Korean manager He-No Win is also coming at some point, as well as English mastermind Kevin Cunning-Bloke :)

I often use my real name, though I tend to alternate between Christopher and Chris as my first name. In recent times, those names have alternated with each full version of the game (e.g. I was Chris in FM17, so I'll probably revert to Christopher for FM19). Also, I think FM15 was the first version of the game where I could use my actual year of birth (1990) from the start instead of having to add on years.

However, I have used alter-egos in my FM17 England save and my FM18 demo save.

• Administrators

When I'm playing my 'home' save I'm normally the highly original Neil Brock.

When I'm testing the game I'm the even more original Test Man. 

Creativity 20. 

10 hours ago, warlock said:

born on the day Manchester United won the World Cup (with a little help from West Ham!)

It was clearly West Ham who won the '66 WC.

Any other suggestion comes with a ban :D.

(No prizes for guessing who I support).

I've done a range of things over time. Most commonly as myself, but I've also been ex-players, particularly legends/icons of the club I'm managing. I'm currently Ludo Giuly managing Bastia, as well as his fictitious son Parchisi Giuly managing AS Furiani. 

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

It was clearly West Ham who won the '66 WC.

Any other suggestion comes with a ban :D.

Wondered whether I'd get a bite; should have known you'd be the one :p.

Can be my real name or:

Paolo Di Carnio in Italy

Roma Simpson at Roma 

Chris Bob-Williams at an English team (I got the nick name years ago at a Saturday job in Dixons)

Jimmy McJock, or Jock Strap in Scotland

Ron Manager

If I'm managing in an English speaking country I will use either my real name or middle name + maternal name or some combination thereof, with Australian nationality.

If I'm managing in a foreign country then I will usually just go on a random name generator until I come across a combination that I like. Only other alternative is when I'm trying to roleplay a bit more like my Savoy game where I named myself after one of the historical dukes.

I always pick a first name of the nationality of the country I’m managing in and have a last name of ‘Manager-‘ plus an ending for the country I’m managing in.

Currently, I’m managing in France and my name is Jacques Manageré

Last years was an Israeli Manager by the name of Abraham Managervich

If I’m in Italy, it’s Andrea Managerino

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently been playing as a newgen player from my save on the previous edition of fm. In my fm18 save I play as Elvis Gjonaj, a Kosovo born England International who came through in a youth intake when I was managing West Ham in Fm17. 

13 hours ago, Savo7en said:

I've recently been playing as a newgen player from my save on the previous edition of fm. In my fm18 save I play as Elvis Gjonaj, a Kosovo born England International who came through in a youth intake when I was managing West Ham in Fm17. 

I might give this a go, not sure why it's never crossed my mind before.

I often use regen players and squad numbers as passwords.

I play with my own name as manager.

But I put a youth player in with a ridiculously high potential (and I think i set him to a random position) his name is Hank Scorpio (from that episode of the simpsons).

So in short, random nationality, random position etc. Just a high PA. 

Then each save, i like to follow him around, what nationality he started at, what age he came into game (14/15/16 etc.) And if he ever makes it to the top.

I have one rule, never buy him.

He's had interesting careers, and not so interesting. Once he was in it as a Goalkeeper, which was surprising and fun. And another he was Balon D'Or winner many times. He's had some adventures. 

On 11/06/2018 at 12:49, Ron Wandle said:

I use my real info as well.

That first time when I could use my real age was distinctly a weird moment.

I did use "Sven Ahlmann" as a Swedish alter ego back when I managed Sweden to a World Cup victory in 2006. I still use that if I start a save and go on vacation through the end of the first season.

Edited by Harper

16 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

I use my real info.

When I created a manager to ruin a certain team from a town full of roundabouts, I used the moniker 'Francis Chekiller' though. ;)

Would that be Swindon and it's Magic Roundabout by any chance?

I go with my real name and a real profile too - feels like a bit more of a bona fida achievement when you see your own name on news article after winning the league on the last day or winning the cup in the 90th minute or on the club/history rankings. "Random Randomson has done the double!" doesn't have the connection to an 'achievement' for my liking.

That said, if I get FM19 I'd have to create a new profile named Arsene Wenger and take over AFC just to see if the fans would go into meltdown, as if the last few months of jubilant liberation was all just a cruel Kronke joke :lol: