Analysing a loss using post-game data

Does anyone have any advice on how to analyse your team's performance using the stats available after a game?

To give some context, I've just lost a game at home in which I was the pre-game favourite. How do I work out what went wrong? Are there any key things I should be looking out for? Or does anyone have any tips or strategies they use?

That thread will be full of gems.

One observation from your OP though is that you have lost just 1 game and immediately looking for answers. How many games in real life does the dominant side lose for no particular reason (a striker who just has 'one of those days'). you could have had bad luck, bad referee, bad conditions, wrong team talk, come up against a kryptonite formation that beats you but no other will.

It's better to spot patterns of losing and then you can more easily identify reasons.

i.e. is it versus a particular type of team (attacking or defensive, much better or much weaker than you, away games, mid week games...)

is it versus a particular tactic?

Is it after every international break?

you can't really analyse a game by looking only the data. you should watch the match and see what went wrong. the data is there to point you in one direction or other, or to confirm what you see. 

you should take a replay of the game and see how was the balance of your team when you lost possessio, where you were losing possession, where is the space... 

The Stats will only give you part of the story, but can point you in the right direction - as has been said, watching the game can be more beneficial. 

The stats maybe show you weren't making many Key Passes, but why? Watch the game and you may notice your Playmaker being aggressively closed down or marked out of the game.  

On 11/06/2018 at 17:59, peter_b said:

Does anyone have any advice on how to analyse your team's performance using the stats available after a game?

To give some context, I've just lost a game at home in which I was the pre-game favourite. How do I work out what went wrong? Are there any key things I should be looking out for? Or does anyone have any tips or strategies they use?

I did a video on Statzone that’s on my channel, and I also did a video on How To Stop Losing, both show how I analyse data post match. In my Kingstonian series there was also an episode where I used information to snap a losing run.

Basically, data is data. It’s only useful when you apply it. And that’s the issue with most of the feedback I see. For example you could see a nice little image of Key Pass Combinations but it’s useless if you don’t go into the game itself and analyse what it means.

Post game data can only be a starting point, it can be very revealing but it won’t help you master the game if you don’t understand why a player closed down early for example or why you had 50% SOT and none of them came from inside the box.

If you spend some effor designing a system around a particular set of players then chances are you’ll end up playing on key highlights at max speed without having to do anything analytical. All you will do is sub off sub par players or make a slight role/duty change.

When I am trying to find flaws in my system I only worry about good transitions. Get a few going and you will be sorted. 

Post game data serves as an indicator and you will need to use that information to visually confirm any suspicions you have.

To give you an example, I was hellbent playing a particular way. Problem we were on a losing run. The data showed cross attempts were up. In itself it’s useless, I went back to my tactic, changed 2 players in the system and their duties and we were back. Faith in my system was restored.  I only noticed that when I stepped back and looked at how each goal was conceded. And that was visually done.

On 12/06/2018 at 01:13, Cleon said:

If you ignore the shape I'm using, this explains how I use everything to analyse if a tactic is working or not;

As does this;

And I also wrote this;

https://teaandbusquets.com/identifying-tactical-issues

Thanks Cleon, and others! Looks like I have some reading to do!

To clarify though, this wasn't a 'I can't believe I lost a game I should have won - the game cheats' post. More a case of losing a game and having no idea why - and wondering if the stats can help.

Archived