Sports Interactive Community

Israel will reportedly travel to Zurich to speak with FIFA in an attempt to get Argentina kicked out of the World Cup, after Argentina refused to play the friendly match. "Religious discrimination" is the argument they will use

Here we go again.

Just kick them out of UEFA already.

Religious discrimination, rofl.

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Here we go again.

Just kick them out of UEFA already.

Religious discrimination, rofl.

They are overreacting but kicking them out of UEFA would be too harsh as well, especially considering they can't play in Asia due to heavy discrimination (actual discrimination in this case) and hatred from the other Mideastern countries.

EDIT: And it's not Israel that wants to kick Argentina out of the World Cup, it's just some Israeli production company: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/06/07/israeli-company-wants-argentina-booted-from-world-cup-over-religious-discrimination-report.html

3 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Lanzini more likely to start than Pavon then going by posts in here?

He got injured and he won't go to WC.

DdKxqpYWkAAefY7.jpg

This was the preliminary squad.

Idk, they really lack wingers.

Perotti is the closest to Lanzini's playstyle on that list.

But they should really use the sub for Paredes, Pizarro or Icardi.

As for the lineup, Pavon or Dybala would be my guess. But Dybala can't really play wider role that  well.

The official squad lacks a defender or two. Do you think Sampaoli might bring a defender instead to replace Lanzini's spot?

He uses Acuña as a wingback/fullback. He has enough defenders for how he plays and uses the players.

Salvio as well, I think he uses as a wingback/fullback.

When you include them along with the actual defenders in his team, he has 8.

Goes to 9 if you add Mascherano as a possible central defender on top of that (which IMO is where he should be playing, but they'll probably use him in midfield)

Well, it's not that he didn't call up Icardi, but he lost his second best winger and decided to call up a 32yo central midfielder.

Correa, Perotti, Lamela would've all been a better choice.

And if he wanted a midfielder, should've called up Paredes or Pizarro, not bloody Enzo Perez.

And now Sampaoli is accused of sexually harrasing the chef.

At this point, they shouldn't even go to Russia. Shambles.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

And now Sampaoli is accused of sexually harrasing the chef.

At this point, they shouldn't even go to Russia. Shambles.

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/esteri/2018/06/09/news/argentina_accuse_di_molestie_sessuali_bufera_sul_ct_sampaoli-198578430/?ref=RHPPTP-BS-I0-C4-P2-S1.4-T1

via google translate

ROME - A real media quake threatens to overwhelm Argentina a few days before the World Cup in Russia. A local journalist, Gabriel Anello, has brought to light a heavy accusation against the technical commissioner Jorge Sampaoli and the leaders of the Albiceleste. 

According to what was reported during the radio broadcast, Radio Miter , the Argentinean national breeder would have tried to abuse a cook in the structure of the Football Federation, in Buenos Aires: "There was a misconduct by Sampaoli in premises of the Afa, with a cook who works there.The Federation is doing everything to keep the news out, but all the people I spoke to have confirmed what happened to me.This is something very dangerous for the Selección and for Sampaoli, has to do with justice ". 

According to the story, the victim of the alleged abuses would have immediately expressed the desire to denounce everything, but it would have been held back by the pressure of the top of the Argentine Football Association (it also speaks of huge sums of money put to keep secrecy on the subject) . 

These are very heavy accusations, which - they write in Argentina - are leading the number one of the Alfa, Claudio Fabian "Chiqui" Tapia, to think about the idea of replacing the coach a few days before the start of the World Cup in Russia. At the same time, however, local media recall how the journalist Gabriel Anello is not new to accusations of this kind, considering that some time ago he had told of seeing Ezequiel Lavezzi smoking marijuana . 

As a result of that episode the players of the Albiceleste had refused to talk to the Argentine media for months and at Ring it was forbidden to enter the premises of the Afa. Now a new accusation, even heavier. Whether true or not, a few days before the start of the World Cup, it risks heavily influencing the environment and the preparation of Argentina.

'National breeder' is an unfortunate translation given the circumstances.

Not that I like Sampaoli, but this came from really not trustworthy sources in the Argentinean press. When some other country's fans say  fans like to destroy their own team, they haven't seen Argentina fans and press. 

And I don't like one bit Enzo Perez's call up but neither Pizarro nor Paredes have done anything for the team and Perez was key in the last match of Qualifications. He has been rubbish for River since then, but still, he has proven that he can play around Messi for 30 minutes or so. And the 23th man in a squad (the 24th in this case) won't probably play a minute in the tournament. 

This isn't the strongest ever Argentina team, but they have Messi, so who knows what can happen.

They can go home soon as easily as they can win it. Wouldn't be surprised either way.

Probable lineup, per today's reports

Caballero; Salvio, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagliafico; Mascherano, Biglia; Meza, Messi, Di María; Agüero

Let's break it down:

Caballero - obviously doesn't have enough quality for a WC contending team.

Salvio - isn't he a winger? Can't see him providing much in defense.

Otamendi - good enough.

Rojo - did he even play this season?

Tagliafico - can't say I watched him play, but everyone says he's very good.

Mascherano - he's ancient, no chance against fast-paced teams in the group.

Biglia - a bit less ancient, but had huge injury issues this season. Also can't keep up with high pace teams.

Meza - never seen him play.

Di Maria - far from peak Di Maria, but still a class player.

Messi - Messi.

Agüero -  if he doesn't deliver in NT now, he will probably retire from it. Last chance.

Edited by GunmaN1905

hace 4 horas, GunmaN1905 dijo:

Probably lineup, per today's reports

Let's break it down:

Caballero - obviously doesn't have enough quality for a WC contending team.

Salvio - isn't he a winger? Can't see him providing much in defense.

Otamendi - good enough.

Rojo - did he even play this season?

Tagliafico - can't say I watched him play, but everyone says he's very good.

Mascherano - he's ancient, no chance against fast-paced teams in the group.

Biglia - a bit less ancient, but had huge injury issues this season. Also can't keep up with high pace teams.

Meza - never seen him play.

Di Maria - far from peak Di Maria, but still a class player.

Messi - Messi.

Agüero -  if he doesn't deliver in NT now, he will probably retire from it. Last chance.

That's what I hate about Sampaoli, once you start to think that he, maybe, got a nice formation, he goes and changes it. Why would anyone use Rojo instead of Fazio and Salvio instead of Mercado against one of the tallest teams in the tournament? Why would you play Mascherano AND Biglia against a team that's only known for its defence?? For the rest of the team, it's probably the best we got. Salvio can play WB against a defensive team, I bet he won't be starting against Croatia though.

I suppose Sampaoli is starting a team that can morph mid-game from a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-4-3 (Mascherano going back and Salvio and Tagliafico coming up), which is probably unnecessary. That would explaing why Salvio for Mercado and why he thinks he would need Biglia in there as the only defensive minded midfielder in the 3-4-3 (Meza would play more central in that formation, and he actually can). Still, I hate it and I'm starting to lose the little faith I had on the team.

What's your take on Agüero/Higuain situation and Dybala/Icardi never getting a real chance?

I know that there's basically been a public outrage to get Higuain off the team a couple of years ago and he literally never delivered. Agüero was also average at best whenever he played.

And I think that the biggest problem is not calling up Pizarro or Paredes. Biglia has been terrible this season and even if he was at his best, pairing him with Mascherano is a suicide. They will get ran over.
Yeah, Mascherano could get a role similar to what De Rossi played at 2012 EURO, but Biglia isn't the guy who can cover midfield all by himself.

Gibraltar FA claims they were offered the chance to play Argentina at the weekend at the Nou Camp as a replacement for the Israel game but turned it down: http://chronicle.gi/2018/06/gibraltar-fa-turns-down-unique-chance-to-play-argentina/

Apparently there were three main reasons:

1. They couldn't guarantee all players would be available as Lincoln Red Imps sent their players off for holidays before the CL qualis start
  2. It was through an agency so it would have been likely that they were in talks with several national FAs at the same time
  3. There is no way Spain would have allowed Gibraltar to play at the Nou Camp.

hace 15 horas, GunmaN1905 dijo:

What's your take on Agüero/Higuain situation and Dybala/Icardi never getting a real chance?

I know that there's basically been a public outrage to get Higuain off the team a couple of years ago and he literally never delivered. Agüero was also average at best whenever he played.

And I think that the biggest problem is not calling up Pizarro or Paredes. Biglia has been terrible this season and even if he was at his best, pairing him with Mascherano is a suicide. They will get ran over.
Yeah, Mascherano could get a role similar to what De Rossi played at 2012 EURO, but Biglia isn't the guy who can cover midfield all by himself.

Yep, I agree 100% with what you say about Mascherano and Biglia, they sure will get ran over. I would have liked more opportunities for Pizarro, Paredes had some over the last year and failed to impress (he was a little shy against Italy) but I hope he gets more chances in the future, and I would have surely taken him. As a Boca supporter I hate how little we got to enjoy him.  

I'm personally not that keen on Icardi, every time I see Inter play I feel he has the instincts but he lacks some intelligence (I'm not saying he is dumb, just on the field) and technique outside the box, but maybe I'm biased because I like strikers who can link up. Would we have some better crossing (Di Maria is awful and he is making most of the crosses) I would have taken him over Higuain without doubt. In the NT he was also somehow shy. He had bad luck and came to the team at the worst possible moment and then rejected a call-up because of some minor injury. I really don't know. Dybala  puzzles me too, he lacks some consistency but he is capable of changing games. As always the big problem with Argentina is that you have to take into account that you have one player less in defence, and don't take me wrong, I'm 100% on board of Messi not chasing on defence, but it's always problematic, we don't have the best defenders either and need extra cover. That means you can only have one other committed forward. Still, I hope we see some Dybala at this cup, and in the future. IDK why everybody is so sure he can't play with Messi, besides that defensive issue.

19 minutes ago, cambiale said:

I'm personally not that keen on Icardi, every time I see Inter play I feel he has the instincts but he lacks some intelligence (I'm not saying he is dumb, just on the field) and technique outside the box, but maybe I'm biased because I like strikers who can link up.

Have to disagree on that. He's no Aguero in that department, but him not contributing in build-up play got blown out of the proportion by a lot.

10 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Have to disagree on that. He's no Aguero in that department, but him not contributing in build-up play got blown out of the proportion by a lot.

I think it's fair to say that Icardi is definitely a #9 style of striker though. Like Higuain, you want to see him spearheading attacks. 

Aguero and Messi are both talented at playing those roles too, but they're also capable of playing other roles. Aguero is a complete forward in almost every sense bar aerial ability - and even then he's very good at heading, he's just not great at winning flick-ons. Messi is Messi. He can play anywhere going forward. 

29 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I think it's fair to say that Icardi is definitely a #9 style of striker though. Like Higuain, you want to see him spearheading attacks. 

Aguero and Messi are both talented at playing those roles too, but they're also capable of playing other roles. Aguero is a complete forward in almost every sense bar aerial ability - and even then he's very good at heading, he's just not great at winning flick-ons. Messi is Messi. He can play anywhere going forward. 

You reckon? I think that's true of Atléti Agüero. Since then he's become way more of a poacher.

He's a top class striker but I don't think Kun is anything special in the build up any more - definitely not to the extent he could play another role anyway.

By "link up" I just mean to be able to return simple passes to Messi when he drives into the box. Higuain sure is able to do that (he has done it to some extent in the NT and more often for Juve), Aguero should be able to do it (although I don't think it has happened that much for Argentina) and I haven't seen Icardi do something like that so often. But I sure could be wrong, as I said, I haven't seen him play that much and even if I had, Inter isn't the best team to play like that. I don't want any of them building plays outside the box, but I sure would love them to be able to discharge the ball in the box. I have seen in the last 5 or 6 years of the NT that we usually have just one player in the box in any given attack, that means that this man (Higuain or Aguero or Icardi or you name it) is almost always well marked and he has troubles shooting. This means that he has to either have the ability to get loose from two or three defenders marking him or the ability to return the ball to a player coming into the box (and that is almost always an unmarked Messi, and sometimes Di Maria). It has been frustrating to see every time that Messi is just running into the box with nobody seeing him as they just try to shoot some half chance. 

It seems Franco Armani will be Argentina's goalkeeper against Nigeria. Good decision, long due.

like a drunk divorcee uncle I want to see argentina perform, it breaks my heart

7 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Samapoli OUT? :eek:

He'll still be able to travel home on the same plane as the national team if he waits a couple of days

3 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Messi not only wants to select the players, he also wants to manage them.

You think it's a coincidence his best buddy Aguero is constantly starting even though he didn't score for the NT since 2016?

4 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

He'll still be able to travel home on the same plane as the national team if he waits a couple of days

Argentine media outlet TyCsports says he's gone. According to a Reddit thread.

I think I said put Maradona in for the rest of the tournament already.

Just now, av3ry said:

Argentine media outlet TyCsports says he's gone. According to a Reddit thread.

I think I said put Maradona in for the rest of the tournament already.

Apparently Diego asked for access to the training camp today. :lol:

They're going to be a lash-up down there until Diego Simeone comes in imo.

Sampaoli is staying at least until the game against Nigeria.

Rumors in Argentina saying now that the players have asked Jorge Sampaoli to not coach the final game against Nigeria on Tuesday and he accepted meaning that Jorge Burruchaga will be the manager. Only rumors mind you but certainly a mutiny I haven’t seen since France 2010.

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I am not surprised. I think a few of them came out of retirement to play for the Argentinian squad when Messi cancelled his retirement plans, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got together to create a riot.

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

You mean that Sampaoli actually did some coaching in the first two games??? Who knew...   :D 

Obviously that's not the best situation to be in, but it's clear Sampaoli isn't doing a great job and the players aren't happy. 

I'd.rather this course of action, rather than just let him **** their World Cup up. It shows they care 

And the squad are united. This isn't just one or two dissenters - the whole team have got behind this. 

The best thing for them would be to start from scratch.

Only players from this squad worth calling up after the WC ends are Lo Celso, Pavon, Dybala and Taglifacio.

Everyone else should just retire from NT.

Meza, Acuna, Salvio don't have the quality and everyone else is 30 or older.

Edited by GunmaN1905

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44594914

Diego Maradona has requested a meeting with Argentina's players before their final World Cup group game on Tuesday.

After losing to Croatia, the two-time winners must beat Nigeria to have any chance of reaching the last 16.

Maradona is "furious and upset" and criticised Argentine Football Association president Claudio Tapia.

"It cost us too much to be where we are for Croatia to hit us for three goals and to leave with our arms crossed without putting a foot in," he said.

Maradona, the Golden Ball winner as Argentina won the 1986 World Cup, said he "would love" to meet coach Jorge Sampaoli's players and would take several of his former team-mates with him.

"We're going to defend our honour," he told Venezuelan TV channel Telesur.

"I'm furious and very upset inside, because anyone who has worn that shirt can't see it being trampled like that by a Croatian team that isn't Germany, that isn't Brazil, that isn't Holland or Spain.

"But there is a guilty party and the culprit is the president of the AFA. Everyone just accepted it when Sampaoli came in with computers, with drones, with 14 assistants.

"I think there is a total lack of authority on Tapia's part."

Tapia was at a news conference on Sunday with midfielder Javier Mascherano, who denied there was a rift between Sampaoli and the players.

Although Sampaoli has sought the opinion of his players, Mascherano, 34, dismissed reports it was a 'revolt'.

"We talked about football to help us," he said. "The best technicians ask the players for advice too because we decide on the field.

"The relationship with Sampaoli is totally normal, but if we feel uncomfortable, we will raise it. Otherwise we would be hypocrites.

"The opposite would be to harm the team, we must seek the collective benefit - we have 23 in the squad."

Mascherano made his 145th international appearance during the Croatia defeat, which left the 2014 runners-up with just one point so far having drawn with Iceland.

"We are not playing well and we take charge of the results," added the former West Ham and Liverpool player who left Barcelona for Hebei China Fortune in January.

"The coach is the one who gives us the tools to be comfortable alone on the field but you have to talk. It happens in all places, even Barca.

"He wants to know what happens to you on the field to be able to make decisions. They are basic soccer concepts."

On 23/06/2018 at 22:20, Heartwork said:

Whoever gets installed will just be Messi's puppet though let's be honest

Such a weird myth that has been refuted by leading players like Mascherano time and again.

Also Messi is not a leader type, he might have his opinions just as anyone but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd try to take over a team :D

21 hours ago, RubenJ said:

Such a weird myth that has been refuted by leading players like Mascherano time and again.

Also Messi is not a leader type, he might have his opinions just as anyone but he doesn't strike me as someone who'd try to take over a team :D

Yeah I've never got that myth either.