something wrong wih the transfer market

not sure what is wrong wiht my save but all the players are going for less than there value. perrera value 34 gone for 24 mill perfectly happy. martins value 24 gomne for 24 happy and lpong contract and the list goes on no one has gone for anything that could partly be seen as real life !!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a number of things, your database size (lots of players) and small number of active leagues (fewer clubs in the market) can have an impact. Fewer players available in the game and the value tends to creep up.

I am finding the same thing in my save - can;t get value for players at all.

too many players and not enough clubs to support that size database will result in players being undervalued. Too many players in the market place - basic supply and demand.

Son has fewer players so they become more valuable - if I need a 5* winger and the database has 3000 of them, they are never going to be worth the same as in a database with 300. Therefore I need to expect less for them.

Can work well for you if you are buying, but make sure you adjust the wages and bonuses down as well - otherwise they will never want to leave even if you do get the bid. 

2 ore fa, Snorks ha scritto:

too many players and not enough clubs to support that size database will result in players being undervalued. Too many players in the market place - basic supply and demand.

That's a fair explaination... If that's actually the case, however, it should be at least acknowledged in the Database Selection screen.

Alongside the Database Size and Game Speed, there'd be a Market Value icon that goes from "oversaturated" to "undersized" to reflect how the game will handle the transfers.

Also, in an ideal gameworld, having 300k players shouldn't alter the transfer values all that much... There may be 50 Wingers with enough potential for a Top Club, instead of 5, but the new-and-improved scouting system (and Fog of War) should still prevent random clubs from finding out the obscure, but talented, guy from Honduras or Mozambique, shouldn't it?

Reputation and PERFORMANCES should mean much more than CA/PPA... AI has too much of a good grasp of a player's ability (both current and potential), so you'll never see them grossly overpaying a "dime-a-dozen" midfielder just because they think he's the best option available.

Just now, RBKalle said:

Reputation and PERFORMANCES should mean much more than CA/PPA... AI has too much of a good grasp of a player's ability (both current and potential), so you'll never see them grossly overpaying a "dime-a-dozen" midfielder just because they think he's the best option available.

Performances do affect perceived CA, so the AI's (and our) scout reports will be influenced by it.

6 hours ago, RBKalle said:

That's a fair explaination... If that's actually the case, however, it should be at least acknowledged in the Database Selection screen.

Alongside the Database Size and Game Speed, there'd be a Market Value icon that goes from "oversaturated" to "undersized" to reflect how the game will handle the transfers.

Also, in an ideal gameworld, having 300k players shouldn't alter the transfer values all that much... There may be 50 Wingers with enough potential for a Top Club, instead of 5, but the new-and-improved scouting system (and Fog of War) should still prevent random clubs from finding out the obscure, but talented, guy from Honduras or Mozambique, shouldn't it?

Perhaps it could be explained a bit better when setting up a save, showing us what the implications of our selections would be, but it's not just the database size that affects it - it's the proportion of player numbers against active clubs that is the key.

I've been playing the game every version for nearly ten years and have only just realised this myself - it's not the game, it;s the way we set it up. If I am selling a Winger and want 45mil, why would anyone pay that much when there are 50 other players that match his stats and only three clubs in the market for one. If there were only five similar players available, then it's a realistic expectation.

More players and fewer leagues active reduces cost/value of players. A massive database and a handful of leagues and you notice loads of Free transfers available in lower leagues. Fewer players, more leagues and those free bargains are much harder to come by. That's a fact of life in any market, same in the game I'm afraid.

performances or pa doesnt seem to be linked to  the values and transfers in my save. assensio to psg for 35 mill. played 60 % of gasmes for madrid and happy and psg get him for 35 mill ?? not gonna happen. every transfer has gone through on value.

i run virt every league about 60 odd i think all leagues on the top 5 leagues and only top division on rest. 

surely it cant be that hard to code the valuations to how a player is playing what league he is in what his pa is what his value is and then what the going market is ? wierd how you can pick up the likes of assensio for 35 mill but they want 75 mill for that 15 year old re gen whos pa is over 170?  something a bit wrong there

13 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

wierd how you can pick up the likes of assensio for 35 mill but they want 75 mill for that 15 year old re gen whos pa is over 170?  something a bit wrong there

They're not the same thing at all though. If you're getting quoted 75m for a youngster, it's because they don't want to sell. They're not actually moving for 75m (where your other example was an actual transfer), they're just quoting you the figure to get you to go away.

except they are the same thing. do you think monaco want to sell lemar ? they quote 100 mill someone pays. same with assensio they dont want to sell, hes not up  for sale or anything hes happy, just won champions league won la liga and psg go  in and say hey wew want him so do you think madrid come back and go, ok 35 mill and hes yours ? no its exactly the same in fact should be much worse as hes a proven star so they should say 200 mill to see if psg baulk at that price. like barca did with neymar. you want him 200 mill and hes yours and psg didnt baulk

17 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

except they are the same thing. do you think monaco want to sell lemar ? they quote 100 mill someone pays. same with assensio they dont want to sell, hes not up  for sale or anything hes happy, just won champions league won la liga and psg go  in and say hey wew want him so do you think madrid come back and go, ok 35 mill and hes yours ? no its exactly the same in fact should be much worse as hes a proven star so they should say 200 mill to see if psg baulk at that price. like barca did with neymar. you want him 200 mill and hes yours and psg didnt baulk

But, clearly, in your game they DID want to sell, for whatever reason. Once you press continue, there are many things that can happen. As you said, on your son's game it was different to yours.

Just now, jamessmith010101 said:

and i get my sons game is different but fundamental thngs like the transfer market and player values vs sale values should fundamentally be the same. if the transfer market becomes a bit of a joke it gets into the realms of fifa manager

You keep talking about Value. Value doesn't equal transfer fees. It has nothing to do with transfer fees. It'll depend if the club wants/needs to sell, is only open to selling but not desperate or if they don't want to sell unless it's a great price. And tied to that, it will depend on the player's happiness too. And how long there's left on the contract. Etc.

33 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

and i get my sons game is different but fundamental thngs like the transfer market and player values vs sale values should fundamentally be the same. if the transfer market becomes a bit of a joke it gets into the realms of fifa manager

You're living in fantasy land if you think irl that managers can pop over to transfermarkt, see a player's value and just bid that amount to get a player and have it instantly accepted because of course, that's his fundamental value...

A club will try and get whatever they can for a player..

If in your game you notice a few players going for around their value, i'll be because any number of reasons.. the club needs money, the player is unhappy, the player wants a new challenge, the player is coming to the end of his contract, the club have another player in mind etc etc.

12 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

I think you are blurring the distinction between Value and Price - two very different concepts. The value is set based on the players contract length, ability etc and is only a rough guide. 

The Price is set by what the selling club will accept and what the buyer is prepared to pay. It is essentially an open auction system, a player is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for him. If the selling club think he is worth more than that, they won't sell.

In any trading market, Value = what it's worth to someone, Price = the amount agreed on for the trade. Not always the same.

If, in your sons game, players are being traded for their value, then he has a market that is pretty well balanced in the game universe. A large database will skew the market in favour of the buyer, a smaller database will skew it in favour of the seller - again, simple Supply and Demand, can be demonstrated in so many real-world scenarios, works just the same n FM.

your not quite getting the point. this is a game and the transfer market should be coded to be the same no matter what the envirment of the game. a large or small database should not havea an effect on the overall gaming experience. imagin you played cod and they said well if there are less people playing you will only hit your opponnent 25 % of the time wouldnt be a great experience would it ? 

and i do get the whole value thing. i  dont think assensio would go for 30 mill or savic for 35 im sure manu just got a offer of 80 mill rejected. the transfer market is the one thing thats always upheld the game above all others but its looking a bit flat now 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jamessmith010101 said:

your not quite getting the point. this is a game and the transfer market should be coded to be the same no matter what the envirment of the game. a large or small database should not havea an effect on the overall gaming experience. imagin you played cod and they said well if there are less people playing you will only hit your opponnent 25 % of the time wouldnt be a great experience would it ? 

and i do get the whole value thing. i  dont think assensio would go for 30 mill or savic for 35 im sure manu just got a offer of 80 mill rejected. the transfer market is the one thing thats always upheld the game above all others but its looking a bit flat now 

But it doesn't and can't work like that. Essentially there has to be a limit of how much activity the AI has, else the entire game would be incredibly slow when processing days. That's why there's a 'game performance' rating when you're selecting leagues and database size. Non-active clubs will make signings but won't be as active as teams who are in 'active' leagues. So if you have a giant database with say just one active league running, it'll be very easy to sign players but much harder to sell them (unless you transfer list the player which also will increase interest). 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

again neil i get that but when you have a large database with 60 plus leagues in it you do expect a certain amount of realism. and i dont think think it is unreasonable to code a realistic transfer market into  the game to be fair 

You would get a certain amount of realism running with that setup (assuming leagues aren't view only), a very good level of realism. If you have specific examples you feel are unrealistic and have saves suggesting as such, please raise them within our bugs forum and our QA team can investigate.

Thanks. 

@jamessmith010101

you go to market place...you see 5 stands with say...apples...4 are selling 2$ a piece...one is selling 1$ a piece...what will you buy?...the free one...the one that is was at a tree at the entrance of the market

its the same in the game, if you can get something for free why would i go and pay for something similar? in the apple market example, the stands will have to lower the price so if someone doesn't like the apple of the tree you can try to convince someone to buy their apple that are "better" than the ones in the tree

i bet that if Salah was playing as good as this season when the neymar transfer to PSG was starting to rise they would have got Salah for half the price of neymar and Neymar would be unhappy and got out of barcelona for less than 200M to any other team

@WorcesterLegend your anology makes no sense dude. its about supply and demand. you have a poduct that is amazing and every one wants it so yo have ghe power as the seller. does your product have re sale value.  is it vaalue for money. in my post i gave assensio as an example 30 odd million. one of the brightest sparks in the game already has a loing contract. is hapy and madrid have the power as hes their product they dont have to sell. madrid can pretty much charge what they want but they opt for his value which is 30 odd million!! theres no realism in that

Supply and demand doesn't really work that well in FM... nor applies to real life football, at least not in the traditional way.

* AI can consistently ignore incredible bargains (ie. players offered out for pocket money) that any club IRL would at least consider
* On the other hand, they'll stubbornly refuse to offer more than the player's value, or an equally low fee, for players that IRL and in a more accurate game, would commend a much higher fee only for STARTING negotiations

* Systematically allow perfectly good players to leave on a free transfer who go on to rot on the free agents list for months before a new club offer them a contract.

The only thing that has improved is the stupid money Top Clubs are willing to spend for the Neymars and the Mbappès, but that's just the tip of the iceberg and a relatively unimportant thing, when the bulk of the transfers are still stuck in the CA/PPA/Reputations vicious circle.

I agree with a lot of what @jamessmith010101 is saying.

If a 15 year old regen is a $2 apple then Asensio should be a $20 diamond studded papaya.

Just last night I was told to go fish by the AI when I bid for a £34k Daniel Braganca. I then suggested offer with value at £5m and they negotiated £73m. He's yet to play a senior game. I accept Hunters view that this is them saying F o**, as is their right,  ... but if I then bid for their proven best player and it's accepted at his nominal value it doesn't quite make sense. Especially when their record sales historically, and current priced squad is relatively low (this is the club that sold Cristiano for £12m ... albeit a long time ago). I don't see how £73m is realistic for that club, even if Braganca was to be the best player they've ever had.  

I don't want to get embroiled in it ... but I just wanted to say I don't think he is talking complete nonsense. James it'll be worth raising some of the odd behaviour in the bugs section :D 

22 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I don't see how £73m is realistic for that club, even if Braganca was to be the best player they've ever had.  

That's because it's not supposed to be realistic. They don't WANT 73m. They simply don't want to sell. And since no one should be dumb enough to offer 73m, they get what they actually want.

Plus, you can still negotiate. The 73m was their first move.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

That's because it's not supposed to be realistic. They don't WANT 73m. They simply don't want to sell. And since no one should be dumb enough to offer 73m, they get what they actually want.

Should add to this, the only reason you see an unrealistic figure is down users complaining. before, the club would simply say he's not for sale, people complained and said everyone should have a price, even if it's a ridiculous one which basically meant not for sale....

The circumstances of Ascensio being sold for c.35m are worth looking at imo.  On the face of it that seems low for a player of that quality in today's inflated market, which is why it's worth uploading the save to the bugs forum for the QA team to check the reasons.

27 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I agree with what you mean, but your final sentence is a bit contradictory. you are saying £73m is go away... but at the same time oh but it's the start price for you to negotiate so you'd probably get him for £40m (which I probably would, but I was looking for a budget signing)

As madman says it used to be cut and dry not for sale. Rather than a completely random out of the blue silly figure. People really moaned about that? Wonder if those moaners now miss it.. I'd rather be told than get a frustratingly silly figure. Would tie in better with unsettling players as well imo.

Just now, westy8chimp said:

I agree with what you mean, but your final sentence is a bit contradictory. you are saying £73m is go away... but at the same time oh but it's the start price for you to negotiate so you'd probably get him for £40m (which I probably would, but I was looking for a budget signing)

As madman says it used to be cut and dry not for sale. Rather than a completely random out of the blue silly figure. People really moaned about that? Wonder if those moaners now miss it.. I'd rather be told than get a frustratingly silly figure. Would tie in better with unsettling players as well imo.

It isn't contradictory. They don't want to sell. If you really, really, really need to buy, there will be a number they'd accept. It'll obviously be lower than 73m, but it's still going to be a crazy price - because they aren't looking to sell him.

It'd be all fine and dandy, if the same player who is "not for sale" or "available for stupid money" didn't join another Top Club for a relatively more reasonable fee.

FM is full of those maddening inconsistencies...

Top player in a small league won't go for more than 2M (realistic enough)
17yo who hasn't played a minute of professional football from the same league will attract offers over 5M

Your rotation option won't get offers worth his displayed value
AI won't sell their rotation players for less than 150% of his displayed value.

And many more

29 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Maybe the best thing to do is to bring back the "not for sale" but still allow you to bid. so that wonderkid valued at 1m, you put in 5,7, 10million until the club goes "oh go on then, that amount  is just too stupid to turn down".

30 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

It'd be all fine and dandy, if the same player who is "not for sale" or "available for stupid money" didn't join another Top Club for a relatively more reasonable fee.

This usually happens a few weeks down the line, when the player became unhappy at the rejected bid and so obviously changed the clubs stance of not wanting/needing to sell, to seriously be willing to.

This is where scout reports are valuable and I don't think people use them at all. The scout report tells you either what the estimated cost will be or that the club isn't willing to sell.

I just had an example of a player, happy, valued at 21.5m and his scout report indicated that his club doesn't want to sell. I offered 21.5m and they "wanted" 216m. When I negotiated to 50m, they came down to 160m. Eventually, I could buy him for 80m.

Same with players who the clubs are willing to listen to good offers for. I've had a few players where the first negotiation is well above what the scout report says, but eventually, with negotiation, I could get them down to the estimated figures in the report.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

This usually happens a few weeks down the line, when the player became unhappy at the rejected bid and so obviously changed the clubs stance of not wanting/needing to sell, to seriously be willing to.

This is where scout reports are valuable and I don't think people use them at all. The scout report tells you either what the estimated cost will be or that the club isn't willing to sell.

I just had an example of a player, happy, valued at 21.5m and his scout report indicated that his club doesn't want to sell. I offered 21.5m and they "wanted" 216m. When I negotiated to 50m, they came down to 160m. Eventually, I could buy him for 80m.

Same with players who the clubs are willing to listen to good offers for. I've had a few players where the first negotiation is well above what the scout report says, but eventually, with negotiation, I could get them down to the estimated figures in the report.

Lost track of the amount of times I've picked up a not for sale player for a reasonable price later on. Mostly because I target these players months in advance. 

13 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Lost track of the amount of times I've picked up a not for sale player for a reasonable price later on. Mostly because I target these players months in advance. 

Yep. Here's a good example too, in another thread : 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

it cant be that hard to code a realistic transfer market surely ?? ai seems to want me to  pay over the top though i tried t sign silva from leicester they want 80 mill and he goes to united for 30 mill?? 

Notice the anomaly in that story? It's you. Basically the AI as a realistic transfer market generally works okay, but when the user becomes involved due to their massive advantage over how the AI works, things are liable to appear more 'unrealistic' as the user is more likely to make unrealistic offers. Two questions in regards to your approach:

1 - Did you negotiate with Leicester when trying to sign Silva to get the fee down to closer than £30m when they quoted you £80m?
2 - Why didn't you sign him for that £30m (or more than that if you were scared the player would choose 'United' over you) when he eventually moved for that fee?

28 minuti fa, HUNT3R ha scritto:

That's just one of the possible scenarios.

Often enough, an offer equal to the one accepted by another club gets turned down for no apparent reason.

Or you'll still get silly requests for the unsettled player while AI teams can offer lower amounts.

Or absolutely rubbish players attract interest while other, who have been performing better and are overall better players (maybe with slightly lower PPA and CA) get ignored and you'll struggle to find any taker.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, RBKalle said:

That's just one of the possible scenarios.

Often enough, an offer equal to the one accepted by another club gets turned down for no apparent reason.

Or you'll still get silly requests for the unsettled player while AI teams can offer lower amounts.

Or absolutely rubbish players attract interest while other, who have been performing better and are overall better players (maybe with slightly lower PPA and CA) get ignored and you'll struggle to find any taker.

If you have examples of the 'no apparent reason' rejections we can take a look. But generally an asking price for one is the same for all (unless they're rivals or you've done a fantastic job of upsetting their manager to the extent where they don't really want to deal with you). 

It may be they've structured the deal in such a way which makes the overall fee higher than it appears. 

6 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

or you've done a fantastic job of upsetting their manager to the extent where they don't really want to deal with you

Really good point...these are the kind of things I forget when I'm in frustration mode :D 

In my previous example this bears fruit with Sporting as I bid on a lot of their players. Same with Porto and Benfica I suspect. Is there an easy way to check AI managers opinion of you?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Really good point...these are the kind of things I forget when I'm in frustration mode :D 

In my previous example this bears fruit with Sporting as I bid on a lot of their players. Same with Porto and Benfica I suspect. Is there an easy way to check AI managers opinion of you?

If you click on the manager's profile and go to their 'Overview -> Information' there is a line which states 'Relationship with you'. 

4 ore fa, Neil Brock ha scritto:

If you have examples of the 'no apparent reason' rejections we can take a look. But generally an asking price for one is the same for all (unless they're rivals or you've done a fantastic job of upsetting their manager to the extent where they don't really want to deal with you). 

It may be they've structured the deal in such a way which makes the overall fee higher than it appears. 

I can't see what the bonuses are in an offer though.

All I know is I used to get, say, my 5M offer turned down, while a 3.5M+Bonuses one got accepted.

Maybe the bonuses are truly impressive and the offer can reach 10M, or maybe not... but the selling club's counteroffer is usually for a higher starting fee PLUS bonuses...

• Administrators

Yeah and at that point the user should be negotiating. Just because an AI club has accepted a fee from an AI club already doesn't mean they won't try and make even more money from another club making an offer. 

58 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Yeah and at that point the user should be negotiating. Just because an AI club has accepted a fee from an AI club already doesn't mean they won't try and make even more money from another club making an offer. 

I'm always surprised people don't see this coming. If the tables were turned, I'd always ask for more if I had one bid in the bag. Just common sense. 

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 04:37, jamessmith010101 said:

You're being disingenuous about Asensio. The few saves I've played he always gets transfer listed by Madrid, and goes for about that - 25-40 million. So if you want to make transfer market comparisons it might help to be honest about what you're talking about.

17 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

You're being disingenuous about Asensio. The few saves I've played he always gets transfer listed by Madrid, and goes for about that - 25-40 million. So if you want to make transfer market comparisons it might help to be honest about what you're talking about.

Asensio is quite easy to explain: He doesn't fit into Zidane's preferred tactics as mainly an AMC, so won't get too many games, he's not a bad CM but there are world-class players keeping him out of the team in that position. He has high ambition, coupled with a random loyalty stat, Real isn't one of his favorite clubs. This will cause him to want to leave in 1-2 seasons, when he doesn't get enough playing time. Real is obviously one of the best teams in the world, so if he doesn't go beyond 160 CA, it's quite likely he ends up transfer listed, which again, is a huge factor in him leaving for a knockdown price. This used to happen to Götze on another version of this game as well, I think when he was at Bayern and would get no playing time. Players who are mainly AMC's always seem to be more difficult to sell, simply due to the position not being in most managers preferred tactics.   

As you said, this is not a good example of the transfer market being wrong, although I agreed it could do with improvements overall :)

I wholeheartedly agree the transfer mechanics need a good look, but not for the same reason as several other in here. I think it's way too easy to exploit, and I struggle to avoid it in saves, since I know I can get the perfect player for a lower price, why shouldn't I? These are my hints for buying players cheaper:

Make use of the media and scout the player without end! Talk to the media and express your admiration for the player, but ONLY as the role you are realistically thinking of. Use top target only for players you intend to play a lot. Take note of how the player responds, this will give you an indication of how much he will hassle his own club to leave. Then bid for him. If the selling club is negotiating for obscene amounts, then make sure THEY stop negotiations. Then, wait a little while and keep scouting him to see if he is angry for not being allowed to leave. If he has any relations with your players (same national team, friends, etc) ask them to talk to him. Keep bidding and making sure they reject bids. If the player really want to leave, then you should get him for a much more reasonable price in a while. Players happy at their current club will be harder to get, but not. As the buying team, taking a long time to finish the deal usually means lower price.

To sell players is much easier, granted it does depend on a few things. If your player have a wage far beyond what they should, then it will be harder due to AI teams not wanting to give similar wages. So lower waged players are often easier to offload. If they player is good, but you have better, play them anyway to attract interest. Offer then out, BUT don't transfer list them, if you do, then you will usually get less money. I only do that if I really want to get rid of the player ASAP and don't care about the amount I get. Also, negotiate, remove clauses that are unlikely and exclude them, this will give you a better deal that actually will go through. When player with Liverpool I sold Lovren to Leicester for almost £40M, as an example.

@puffascruffowitz so in your 'honesty' you think that should madrid in real life go ok guys we are going to listen to offers for assensio he will go for between 20 to 40 mill??

rumor was that liverpool were interested but starting value was 80 mill! i think this maybe where fm needs to improve. lets say a players wants to go because maybe hes outgrown hus club or maybe doesnt get games in real life clubs will listen to offers but you still have to pay the going rate. but in fm they go on the transfer list and just go for cheap. fm needs to be coded to differentiate the difference in the way someone goes on the list to stop the cheap deals for good players 

Related to this:  does a player AI know the state of the transfer market in your save?  I keep getting players asking me to be allowed to leave, to which I almost always respond that I will sell for the right price.  Unfortunately my players always seem to undervalue themselves (in my opinion).  Does their valuation of themselves take into account the number of active leagues loaded and the size of the database?  It seem,s to me that if it doesn't then the user and the player AI will never agree on a value..

I'm running 19 leagues from around the world on a small database, and typically a player will value himself at only slightly above his in-game "value" - whereas in reality signing a replacement would cost maybe double that (on average) (I guess).

Archived