Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
KevFlack

Why dont people play online With FM games-Serious question

Recommended Posts

Ive had a network game set up for the last 10 years since the closure of FMLive..however the last couple of years it near enough impossible to get people to play on a regular basis yet millions sit there playing single. Ok playing V other humans isn't for everyone but there must be more.

Is it the Lag? I don't have any

do we play too quick online for people? maybe

or is it just a single player game. I don't really agree with this...there's 20 managers in the premier league...they don't play single player!!

 

5/6 in an online game is ideal...any more than that its just too slow, yes you have to have some rules.

DO SI do enough to support online? IMHO when the servers went to STEAM that's when it went wrong (to stop the piracy) but it killed online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of us see it as a single-player game, or something to be played online with a few of your mates where you can actually talk about it in person. Preventing piracy definitely killed it though from what I've heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How quickly do you go through the days?

I play FMT online with a mate and even that gets frustrating at times if one of us is doing some heavy scouting or match preparation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do a season in 5 days.. There's 4/5 of us. 8-10.30pm most nights we've got different windows and some rules to stop it going to slowly.. Holiday from game to game but have a longer session for pre season but if your good you can scout on shortlist all through the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my mates do vs mode matches, so I guess its more towards creating a community of players who share the same likes I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Families, jobs, Life. Any number of reasons.

Right that doesn't work for me I work full time have 3 kids and 11..so not sure what your argument is here.. Although I understand what your saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't play online as this is a game I play to relax and I like to play at my own pace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my gaming outside of Football Manager is online. For me, my time playing FM is often while I'm watching TV or something else and I enjoy getting quite in-depth in my saves which isn't conducive to faster paced online play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played online, never felt inclined to try..

 

FM is the purest single player game I know of, it's a game to play at any pace I choose, whenever I can..

 

I stick my headphones in, stick some loud tunes on, leave the mrs to watch celebrity big house island or whatever the newest garbage on tv is and relax with a beer.

 

Will I then talk about it with some like minded friends? sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only we still had FMLive, still the best FM ever and my favourite ever game. Actually, since FML closed i've went from being a 1000+ hour player in all previous CM/FM games, to only getting over 100hrs clocked in one version since. FML was just so far ahead of the base game that it ruined my enjoyment of it. 

 

Also i just realised, is this the @KevFlack who played a bunch of FML back in the day?

Edited by Bradley21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Never played online, never felt inclined to try..

 

FM is the purest single player game I know of, it's a game to play at any pace I choose, whenever I can..

 

I stick my headphones in, stick some loud tunes on, leave the mrs to watch celebrity big house island or whatever the newest garbage on tv is and relax with a beer.

 

Will I then talk about it with some like minded friends? sure.

Exactly the same for me but with coffee and then camomile tea. Tried it once but was laggy as hell. Down to a few things of course, but I don’t think it works other than a single player game. Agree with you’re assessment of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate and i played couple of seasons online. It was laggy and buggy as hell. In matches between us, we couldn't use team talks as the game would elsewhere crash. Sometimes crash happens if any of us used some shout or clicked on random player in news feed. Online part of FM just isn't developed enough. Once we tried to play with few more friends, four of us. It was a nightmare. We couldn't go past first match, as game crashed multiple times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bradley21 said:

If only we still had FMLive, still the best FM ever and my favourite ever game. Actually, since FML closed i've went from being a 1000+ hour player in all previous CM/FM games, to only getting over 100hrs clocked in one version since. FML was just so far ahead of the base game that it ruined my enjoyment of it. 

indeed. it is..

Also i just realised, is this the @KevFlack who played a bunch of FML back in the day?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Never played online, never felt inclined to try..

 

FM is the purest single player game I know of, it's a game to play at any pace I choose, whenever I can..

 

I stick my headphones in, stick some loud tunes on, leave the mrs to watch celebrity big house island or whatever the newest garbage on tv is and relax with a beer.

 

Will I then talk about it with some like minded friends? sure.

I think your wrong..i cant play single anymore..where`s the challenge?? the CPU is pre programmed humans make it more to think about. but each to there own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KevFlack said:

Right that doesn't work for me I work full time have 3 kids and 11..so not sure what your argument is here.. Although I understand what your saying. 

Ok. I work nights. No-one is free to play network games at 1pm on a Wednesday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Never played online, never felt inclined to try..

 

FM is the purest single player game I know of, it's a game to play at any pace I choose, whenever I can..

 

I stick my headphones in, stick some loud tunes on, leave the mrs to watch celebrity big house island or whatever the newest garbage on tv is and relax with a beer.

 

Will I then talk about it with some like minded friends? sure.

This. The whole point of FM is scanning through player after player trying to find out which random in the Argentine league has the magic numbers for your weak position and a release clause, micromanaging your players' contract renewals because your club is broke and coming up with a mid-game tactical alteration because you're being overrun in midfield

Having other human beings wanting you to get on with it doesn't add to that, it detracts from it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FM has always been what you make of it. I've played online with an old Uni mate before and it was canny, but then marriage and kids got in the way (for both of us, though separately! :D ) I'd be interested in picking it up again, but I wouldn't fancy being shooed long all the time by impatient buggers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:29, enigmatic said:

This. The whole point of FM is scanning through player after player trying to find out which random in the Argentine league has the magic numbers for your weak position and a release clause, micromanaging your players' contract renewals because your club is broke and coming up with a mid-game tactical alteration because you're being overrun in midfield

Having other human beings wanting you to get on with it doesn't add to that, it detracts from it

not really you can still scout whilst others play...with sat wed games its easy to scout your little nuggets from the gambia or some kid off the streets in Brixton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I have no interest with playing with other people. I get into it when I want and leave it whenever I want. It's my time to get away from everything and everyone else and just immerse myself. It's why I love single player gaming as a whole. 

I feel exactly the same way. Multiplayer video games hold little interest to me.

I didn't enjoy FML all that much (partly because I wasn't very good at it, to be fair) and have never wanted to play an FM network save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2018 at 18:33, KevFlack said:

Right that doesn't work for me I work full time have 3 kids and 11..so not sure what your argument is here.. Although I understand what your saying. 

It depends on the person, surely. I used to play online with guys on steam when I was a student. As I grew up, it became impossible to be sure I could set aside 2 hours a night, even once a week with a defined schedule. I like to schedule my gaming around my life, not the other way around. Others are not the same, it is very much a case of each to their own.

I am with Welshace on this one however. FM is a game I want to play at my own pace, in my own time, spending the time to do what I want, when I want to do it. I like to be able to take a break to do something else without timeout. Or to be able to say "alright, I will leave it there and play something else". It is a game I use to relax, and to challenge myself to succeed against the AI. The only competition is against myself. Not true when playing online with others, for any of these things. As such, it does not appeal to me.

The only time I play FM with others these days is when I have a couple of friends visiting and we spend an evening or two plodding through a LAN game together. Taking it slowly, a little bit of friendly competition, chilling out with beers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiplayer is far more rewarding than single player... But if i can no longer find time to schedule a good save with my brother due to family and work then theres no chance im going to be able to do it with a stranger. Plus the risk you put in 50+ hours just for that person to quit when they get sacked. 

You are best off advertising your game to student groups... When i was at uni a few of us were putting in huge stints of Fm... At times playing over 24hrs solid... And thats when u had to connect through tools like Hamachi! Far easier and quicker now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely love playing online as it's a huge new challenge, but like a few people have mentioned above it's tough to schedule in time to play especially if you have a family/kids and that type of thing.

Had an amazing two player Online game going when I was at Uni on FM05 when I was Milan and one of my flatmates was Inter. He ended up winning the league but I won the Champions League :D 

Likewise the OTF Network game is always a good laugh and takes place on Weds/Sunday nights, but I couldn't even find the time to commit to that :( - https://community.sigames.com/topic/417375-the-fm18-otffmo-network-game-xi-new-signups-always-welcome/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, the only network game FM I still play now is at home with the missus, and even then our own single player game seem to take priority. All my other friends who used to play FM with before, they all have their own life commitment like jobs and kids so it's almost impossible to arrange the time to get more than two people together online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would, but there's no way I could commit to a regular schedule. This is where FML worked for me- drop in at any time, and there were people online to play with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 ora fa, Lawlore ha scritto:

and there were people online to play with.

Like me! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 10:51, themadsheep2001 said:

I have no interest with playing with other people. I get into it when I want and leave it whenever I want. It's my time to get away from everything and everyone else and just immerse myself. It's why I love single player gaming as a whole. 

that's because you have no friends :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KevFlack said:

that's because you have no friends :-D

I DO have friends - Kieren Tierney lists me as favoured personnel, and Bonucci loves me and I am getting on quite well with Mourinho at the moment, he said nice things about me in the press.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine most people's friends don't see struggling your way through an obtuse online game of Football Manager as a productive use of their time.  Good people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the 90% here that time requirement, scheduling and convenience makes this game a single-player game.

On a sidenote - I would never play a multiplayer game with random people if I had no clear and thorough understanding of the games rules and mechanics. Football Manager has a lot of things you won't know if you just play the game and never look things up on websites and forums. So why try and compete if its not a level playing field? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2018 at 11:25, KevFlack said:

Ive had a network game set up for the last 10 years since the closure of FMLive..however the last couple of years it near enough impossible to get people to play on a regular basis yet millions sit there playing single. Ok playing V other humans isn't for everyone but there must be more.

Is it the Lag? I don't have any

do we play too quick online for people? maybe

or is it just a single player game. I don't really agree with this...there's 20 managers in the premier league...they don't play single player!!

 

5/6 in an online game is ideal...any more than that its just too slow, yes you have to have some rules.

DO SI do enough to support online? IMHO when the servers went to STEAM that's when it went wrong (to stop the piracy) but it killed online.

I play it with a very good mate and its good for us and I enjoy it but with more than 2 people it gets slow and FM offline is just so wonderful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my own game and I also play online with 2 mates. And out of the two I prefer online adds something to the game when playing against other people. Bragging rights and plenty of banter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, brad71 said:

And out of the two I prefer online adds something to the game when playing against other people. Bragging rights and plenty of banter.

I agree with that, it definitely adds enjoyment when you play with friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried online with 2 of my mates but it can be really slow and has crashed a few times.

I don't do online with strangers as I think it would just be weird. Also, have too much life stuff to be able to commit any time to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never been interested myself.

For one thing, being in Cambodia there is the time zone problem.

Secondly, with non-FM real life, I fire up the game as and when - I can't commit to regular hours.

The main point is my FM satisfaction stems from customising the game with specific challenges and populating leagues with teams I personally relate to. That might be deemed 'cheating' if i played online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since playing online with a friend over 10 years ago, I literally can't play single player anymore as it just isn't the same.

AI transfer activity is awful so 10 years down the line, with a friend, the competition is still there somewhat.

The only frustrations I have right now with online play are these:

1. The lag for the person that isn't hosting the game. It may only be a second or so, but it's their and I have no idea how to fix it. We've all got gaming PCs, so that can't be the issue, and we all run on fibre, so internet speed also shouldn't be an issue, but that slight delay can be very off putting.

2. Only experienced it in this game, but it's an absolute game destroying bug. I've posted on numerous occasions on here but go no answers. Somebody above also mentioned it. When two humans play against each other. Don't bother making at tactical changes or subs. I have no idea why but bam, everything freezes. Now when I say freeze, what I mean is, everything works totally fine, but you just cannot continue the game.

One person has to literally leave the game and rejoin for it to continue, and then they can't control their team anymore. I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, and I've brought it up a few times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved FML as it really made you think about tactics a lot more. Especially when the opposition human player suddenly changes formation and starts dominating. The only problem I had is that 20% of my games were live against other managers and of those 20%, I encountered lots of impatient people. 

FM is in my opinion a single player game. As most of my games, I don't really like multiplayer games as there is always someone screwing it up for everyone. The only game I actually play online is Rocket League, which is somewhat football related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lucozade1 said:

2. Only experienced it in this game, but it's an absolute game destroying bug. I've posted on numerous occasions on here but go no answers. Somebody above also mentioned it. When two humans play against each other. Don't bother making at tactical changes or subs. I have no idea why but bam, everything freezes. Now when I say freeze, what I mean is, everything works totally fine, but you just cannot continue the game.

One person has to literally leave the game and rejoin for it to continue, and then they can't control their team anymore. I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, and I've brought it up a few times

It's happened to me a few times. Not every time or we'd just make the house rule of "no subs". But it really sucks and is fairly common :(

Edited by Cal585

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

It's happened to me a few times. Not every time or we'd just make the house rule of "no subs". But it really sucks and is fairly common :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences it.

I've brought it up a few times in the bugs forum, but no fixes.

One thing I am trying, and so far it's worked for me, (only played 2 matches though). Instead of pausing the game to make the subs, I just hit the tactics page while it's running so the game doesn't actually pause.

It's annoying, but so far so good for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucozade1 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences it.

I've brought it up a few times in the bugs forum, but no fixes.

One thing I am trying, and so far it's worked for me, (only played 2 matches though). Instead of pausing the game to make the subs, I just hit the tactics page while it's running so the game doesn't actually pause.

It's annoying, but so far so good for me

Thanks. I'll give your suggestion a try next time I play with my mate. I normally make subs without pausing, while he always pauses first which might explain why it normally impacts him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:19, Cal585 said:

Thanks. I'll give your suggestion a try next time I play with my mate. I normally make subs without pausing, while he always pauses first which might explain why it normally impacts him.

never had this tbh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/06/2018 at 18:38, Lucozade1 said:

Since playing online with a friend over 10 years ago, I literally can't play single player anymore as it just isn't the same.

AI transfer activity is awful so 10 years down the line, with a friend, the competition is still there somewhat.

The only frustrations I have right now with online play are these:

1. The lag for the person that isn't hosting the game. It may only be a second or so, but it's their and I have no idea how to fix it. We've all got gaming PCs, so that can't be the issue, and we all run on fibre, so internet speed also shouldn't be an issue, but that slight delay can be very off putting.

2. Only experienced it in this game, but it's an absolute game destroying bug. I've posted on numerous occasions on here but go no answers. Somebody above also mentioned it. When two humans play against each other. Don't bother making at tactical changes or subs. I have no idea why but bam, everything freezes. Now when I say freeze, what I mean is, everything works totally fine, but you just cannot continue the game.

One person has to literally leave the game and rejoin for it to continue, and then they can't control their team anymore. I can't believe it hasn't been fixed, and I've brought it up a few times

Regarding the subs thing, it happened to me a lot at the start but my mate and I figured out that as long as we don't make subs at the same time it won't crash and hasn't since. Just gotta let him know I plan to make a sub and he won't and vice versa etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...