Team Suggestion Thread

Preferred league(s): Top European

Expectations: Middle. But could realistically overachieve.

Philosophy: "Develop youth" I have no problem with.

Finances: Would like to not be debt-ridden.

Youth/Training Facilities: As good as possible.

Notes - I'm big on home grown talent, so would like a team with good kids and/or good kids coming through in the youth intakes. A fairly patient board who will let me develop the team, and a team where the expectations are not "win the league", would prefer to stay away from Sugar Daddy clubs (unless this doesn't impact on expectations). 

On 24/05/2018 at 19:46, zlatanera said:

For Bundesliga - I can never make it stick but Hamburg are fun, plenty of debt but I never had my transfer revenue decreased, and the squad is representative more of the form that nearly saw them escape yet again than the form that put them in trouble in the first place. Dortmund obviously had a bunch of youth, but you should really start out at Mainz if you want to be Dortmund ;) Freiburg have never sacked a manager and pretty much epitomise the stereotype of the well-run German club, and obviously Frankfurt has potential. 

Serie A - I like Fiorentina, pretty much an entirely new squad suited for a variety of formations with a couple of great players for the league (Chiesa, Benassi), some prospects, unspectacular amount of money and a 50,000+ seater stadium you'll never fill. I prefer starting in clubs without Europe in Italy for some reason, so alongside Fiorentina I'd recommend Sampdoria, Genoa, or perhaps Cagliari (saw a guy in the Serie A thread have a lot of fun with them). Napoli look fun as well. 

On 12/08/2018 at 13:41, zlatanera said:

1804242734_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_38_47.thumb.png.aa9c07178fa361c9675b4185a9c33d91.png

Bordeaux

1343532626_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_39_04.thumb.png.1a8882b23aa34144cc1b1fe5cdbbbe9d.png

Montpellier

@..Valhalla.. Fiorentina will happily accept a 10th place finish. I'd probably add Atalanta as an option given your youth focus - although they're in Europa due to 2016-17's exploits they probably don't expect you to finish there again - if you don't mind a Europa League club I'd recommend Lyon (there's a France thread that's like 90% Lyon but you can see people having fun with their youth and also with Bordeaux) or Real Sociedad. The latter don't have many youth prospects but you have young players in the first team in Bautista, Oyarzabal and Odriozola that you can build around. Quite a reasonable board too, although no money there's also no debts. If you're going in England Southampton are the obvious choice, even if their squad is a lot more foreign than it was a couple years ago. Obviously the big 3 in Portugal are good but "win the league" may be expectation in more than one of them, same with Holland's big 3. Braga apparently have quite a lot of youth as well, I saw a career thread on them. 

17 hours ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

Preferred league(s): Top European

Expectations: Middle. But could realistically overachieve.

Philosophy: "Develop youth" I have no problem with.

Finances: Would like to not be debt-ridden.

Youth/Training Facilities: As good as possible.

Notes - I'm big on home grown talent, so would like a team with good kids and/or good kids coming through in the youth intakes. A fairly patient board who will let me develop the team, and a team where the expectations are not "win the league", would prefer to stay away from Sugar Daddy clubs (unless this doesn't impact on expectations). 

Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Leverkusen, RB Leipzig, Southampton, Everton, Sampdoria, Sassuolo, Lille, Saint-Etienne

@BadAss88 - cheers, I went with Bilbao in the end. I just registered my squad for the Euro Cup and every single player was HG. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me :D 

That's exactly the condition I want to get all teams into when I manage them; best I've done so far is 17 of 25 in my most recent Liverpool save (ongoing). In fact it's given me an idea...

47 minutes ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

@BadAss88 - cheers, I went with Bilbao in the end. I just registered my squad for the Euro Cup and every single player was HG. I cannot tell you how happy that makes me :D 

That's exactly the condition I want to get all teams into when I manage them; best I've done so far is 17 of 25 in my most recent Liverpool save (ongoing). In fact it's given me an idea...

Already thought, that was the best suggestion for what you were asking for! Good luck with them, had a great save with them in FM15!

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:25, BadAss88 said:

Already thought, that was the best suggestion for what you were asking for! Good luck with them, had a great save with them in FM15!

Had to abandon the Bilbao save. Never seen so many injuries in my life; got to November and not once had Benat, Williams, or Muniain played for me - no big injuries either, just a few weeks here and there, but as soon as they were fit, they were injured again. I was nearly tempted to start a thread in the bugs forum but what's the point this late in FM18's shelf life? I guess I just got unlucky. Wasn't just those 3 either (although they annoyed me because of how important they are), I lost all my LBs including Balenziaga (4 months), and then the RB De Marcos was ruled out with ACR injury (8 months+). Twice I was offered to replace players outside the transfer window which I've never seen before and didn't know was possible beyond GKs. 

Either half the Bilbao squad have terrible injury proneness or I just got VERY unlucky :( 
I wish I had had the editor active tbh, would have felt justified using it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Preferred league(s): European

Expectations: (Sub)top to mid-table

Finances: Some transferbudget would be nice

Youth/Training Facilities: Not important

Other: I would like to have a great Trequartista at the squad and a great Ball Winning Midfielder

On 30/08/2018 at 00:41, BadAss88 said:

Other: I would like to have a great Trequartista at the squad and a great Ball Winning Midfielder

Arsenal. We aren’t a top top team, but can be. Have Ozil who could be a Treq, and couple couple be BWM. If not very good starting budgets.

On 30/08/2018 at 00:41, BadAss88 said:

Lyon. PSG are immense above you on FM, Monaco have better finances and the likes of Marseille, Nice, Bordeaux can all put in good seasons. You have a brilliant potential Trequartista (Fekir) with a great youth prospect to replace him (Houssem Aouar) and Lucas Tousart could do the BWM role very well (has the attributes of a reasonably mobile BPD but is a natural at CM and DM).

Leverkusen also fit the bill. No European commitments first season, Kai Havertz is a good playmaker with potential to be great, and you've got the Bender brothers as BWM. Surrounded by other talent such as Henrichs, Bailey, Retsos etc.

Preferred league(s): One of the big countries, but it doesn't have to be in the top division

Expectations: Not that important

Finances: Not important

Facilities: Youth facilities should be as good as possible as I like to build my team around homegrown youngsters.

Other: I'd like to find a team that has at least one player who the team can be build around. Doesn't have to be a top player, but just someone with some interesting attributes of sorts.

7 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@Adzke pretty much every team I've recommended on this thread has good facilities, is European and has at least one guy to build around. But if you're not bothered about the division, why not try Burton Albion? They use St. George's Park so have brilliant facilities.

They look just about right! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

FM 19

Preferred league(s): Any level in Europe, but more partial to anything lower than the highest division level for the top 5 leagues

Expectations: Not title contenders if possible

Finances: Anything will do

Youth/Training Facilities: Anything will do

Notes: I'm looking to build a team using the 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow formation (with attacking full-backs) and planning to made this a club staple throughout this one career save, so any suggestions for teams with no wingers or easily disposable players on those positions will be greatly appreciated. Good level of squad's Work Rate would be an excellent addition :)

• 2 months later...

Can someone suggest lower end team where there is like 1-2 players who are developing good players so you can build team around them. Something like 150 PA?

Preferred in England and other finance and stuff does not matter.

FM 19

Preferred league(s): Any probably in Europe

Expectations: Dominating in the league & some games in CL would be nice to get some money

Finances: good yearly income from sponsors etc would be nice but not the most important since I will sell players

Youth/Training Facilities: good or better

Looking for some team to dominate the league easily so I could develop young players and make great team after some time upgrade facilities etc. Something like playing and winning easily with a lot of cup games etc and selling the best players after for example 7 years ( I am putting 5 years +3years extension option so I will probably sell them in the last year before January so I will not have to give them high salary or so they will not leave for free after contract end because they don't want to negotiate)

1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

FM 19

Expectations: Dominating in the league & some games in CL would be nice to get some money

Finances: good yearly income from sponsors etc would be nice but not the most important since I will sell players

Looking for some team to dominate the league easily so I could develop young players and make great team after some time upgrade facilities etc. Something like playing and winning easily with a lot of cup games etc and selling the best players after for example 7 years ( I am putting 5 years +3years extension option so I will probably sell them in the last year before January so I will not have to give them high salary or so they will not leave for free after contract end because they don't want to negotiate)

You could try one of the dominating teams such as Dinamo Zagreb or Bate Borisov.

10 hours ago, saihtam said:

Can someone suggest lower end team where there is like 1-2 players who are developing good players so you can build team around them. Something like 150 PA?

Preferred in England and other finance and stuff does not matter.

Fulham? You only have 1 outstanding option in Sessegnon, to build around. Or Fiorentina with Chiesa already being good but with room for improvement. Hertha Berlin have a couple of good young players to build around too - Dilrosun and Meier (A centre mid).

10 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

FM 19

Ajax / PSV / Feyenoord. Ajax have more OP players at the start, but with any of those three once you establish dominance over the other two you'll be able to easily win the league every year. Even before that I usually start playing youngsters in the early stages of the cups and against weaker teams in the league. Celtic would be another option, RB Salzburg if you want to sell your soul, Basel maybe?

8 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

btw. will the teams play really defensive with me like park a bus etc so I will have problems to win after some time ?

Occasionally, but this is the same in all leagues. 

12 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Fulham? You only have 1 outstanding option in Sessegnon, to build around. Or Fiorentina with Chiesa already being good but with room for improvement. Hertha Berlin have a couple of good young players to build around too - Dilrosun and Meier (A centre mid).

They are a bit high club for my liking. Maybe like 3-4 leagues lower?

1 hour ago, saihtam said:

They are a bit high club for my liking. Maybe like 3-4 leagues lower?

Ah, ok. Then I'm not your guy if you're wanting ones that actually have good prospects. But if you're just wanting a smaller team that's a bit different - try Carlisle: northern-most team in the football league. They have a decent-sized stadium for the level (17,000 capacity although don't expect a sell-out in League Two as that's a fifth of the city's population). Don't have any real rivals, so you'll not have to deal with the generic press conferences for derbies unless you make a competitive one over time too. I saw this table on twitter of top-performing teams in 2018 in the PL and EFL (by points, doesn't like weight the leagues or anything) and they were actually top 25. Despite this, they're still most known for possibly the greatest goalkeeper goal of all time, that time they were playing in Preston and Bolton's stadiums nearing 100 miles away because of flooding, and not much else.

Or in Germany, go for Kaiserslautern - Bundesliga champions in the 90s, have a 50,000+ seater stadium and are in the 3. Bundesliga. 

On 04/01/2019 at 14:17, Muttley84 said:

You could try one of the dominating teams such as Dinamo Zagreb or Bate Borisov.

btw. Dinamo have chairman underwritter? Do u know how it works ?

E: will I be able to make after some years team like Barcelona, Real, Chelsea or Psg in that league ? Or the league have some kind of limits etc and later the money from tv or sponsors will not be enough ? what about reputation will winning the league make me better and better or only if I win CL which will be like impossible ?

Also I wonder if it will be possible to keep Marin there :)

• 2 weeks later...

Preferred league(s): Spain, France, Holland (2nd division teams only)

Expectations: Top/middle half

Finances: Doesn't have to be rich, but not a financial mess

Youth/Training Facilities: Good. I want to have a save with a team that has the potential for quality youth development.

4 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

Preferred league(s): Spain, France, Holland (2nd division teams only)

Expectations: Top/middle half

Finances: Doesn't have to be rich, but not a financial mess

Youth/Training Facilities: Good. I want to have a save with a team that has the potential for quality youth development.

Holland: Sparta Rottadam or FC Twente

France: Le Havre, FCSM or Auxerre

Spain: Sporting Gijon or Osasuna

Not sure on the finances but some options there for you.

Preferred league(s):
Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France, Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Greece, Croatia, Denmark, Romania, Poland, Sweden, Serbia, Scotland, Norway, Argentina or Brazil

Expectations:
Subtop or Mid-table

Finances:
Not important.

Youth/Training Facilities:
Not important.

Other:
A fun team to start a clubhopping career with, planning to stay 2-3 years and then move on. So a decent squad with some nice players would be great or some transferbudget to buy those players! Europa League foorball is a surplus!

15 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Preferred league(s):
Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France, Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Greece, Croatia, Denmark, Romania, Poland, Sweden, Serbia, Scotland, Norway, Argentina or Brazil

Expectations:
Subtop or Mid-table

Finances:
Not important.

Youth/Training Facilities:
Not important.

Other:
A fun team to start a clubhopping career with, planning to stay 2-3 years and then move on. So a decent squad with some nice players would be great or some transferbudget to buy those players! Europa League foorball is a surplus!

There's two recommendations that fit some of your criteria, then mine is actually a journeyman idea itself

Preferred league(s): Doesn't matter. I'm open for anything! :D  

Expectations: Midtable side that doesn't have the pressure to perform the first and second season (due tot tactic learning)

Finances: There needs to be room for some transfers. 

Youth/Training Facilities: Don't care right now.

What about a team/league that have a lot of Cup Matches with lower division (weak) opponents ? And a B-team would be good that don't have to register players and work like other club like in Spain...

But not England too much money there, now I play Valencia in Spain and there is not that much money except Barcelona and Real at the end of season 2022 the rest of the teams don't really have money and good players since some retired...

8 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

What about a team/league that have a lot of Cup Matches with lower division (weak) opponents ? And a B-team would be good that don't have to register players and work like other club like in Spain...

But not England too much money there, now I play Valencia in Spain and there is not that much money except Barcelona and Real at the end of season 2022 the rest of the teams don't really have money and good players since some retired...

Ajax / AZ / PSV spring to mind as they have B teams in the only other loadable league in Holland. You'd have to go get a one of those classen (unclear on spelling) databases though as there's a bug where B teams can get promoted, which shouldn't happen. 

Juventus have their u23s in Serie C now too, not sure how it works. 

15 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Ajax / AZ / PSV spring to mind as they have B teams in the only other loadable league in Holland. You'd have to go get a one of those classen (unclear on spelling) databases though as there's a bug where B teams can get promoted, which shouldn't happen. 

Juventus have their u23s in Serie C now too, not sure how it works. 

I meant B-team like U-23 which play with other U-23 and use the same coaches as 1st team (I think I've read that in England is like that)

6 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

I meant B-team like U-23 which play with other U-23 and use the same coaches as 1st team (I think I've read that in England is like that)

Oh right, yeah most English and Italian teams are like that.

if you want something really weird go for Braga - they have a first team, B team, u23, u19 and u19-B. Must have a lot of players

2 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

if you want something really weird go for Braga - they have a first team, B team, u23, u19 and u19-B. Must have a lot of players

Nice eheh only Braga or all team in Portugal ? I think when I played in managers till like 2012 you didn't have to register players there? is it the same ?

Well for me enough would be like 1st team, 2nd team (reserves) for players above 19 that are not ready to make a 1st team yet (btw will they improve there with that kind of matches to be able to get more games in 1st team ?) and young team and many games in cup with lower division team that I could use my bench players from 1st team and best ones from 2nd team and u-19 :)

18 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Nice eheh only Braga or all team in Portugal ? I think when I played in managers till like 2012 you didn't have to register players there? is it the same ?

Well for me enough would be like 1st team, 2nd team (reserves) for players above 19 that are not ready to make a 1st team yet (btw will they improve there with that kind of matches to be able to get more games in 1st team ?) and young team and many games in cup with lower division team that I could use my bench players from 1st team and best ones from 2nd team and u-19 :)

Appears to be only Braga. I don't know how it works, I only noticed it when I was trying to scout Francisco Trincao. Only managed Portugal once - about 6 months of a Porto save - I think if you do register its like France where you can register 99 players including all your B team players.

With u23/u21 teams that share facilities I tend to just check the individual player - if on training it says "needs experience at a higher level" its self-explanatory, I would also check and if a player is rated as at a Championship level, for example, and I have that league loaded and he's not going to get first team games, I'd loan him out. But I wouldn't loan to inactive leagues. 

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

Appears to be only Braga. I don't know how it works, I only noticed it when I was trying to scout Francisco Trincao. Only managed Portugal once - about 6 months of a Porto save - I think if you do register its like France where you can register 99 players including all your B team players. 

With u23/u21 teams that share facilities I tend to just check the individual player - if on training it says "needs experience at a higher level" its self-explanatory, I would also check and if a player is rated as at a Championship level, for example, and I have that league loaded and he's not going to get first team games, I'd loan him out. But I wouldn't loan to inactive leagues. 

But do you know what coaches they use ? 2nd team use first team coaches ? or all the teams have their own ?

Just now, LukasZ_VCF said:

But do you know what coaches they use ? 2nd team use first team coaches ? or all the teams have their own ?

Braga? As I've said, no idea. And with the English clubs I just can't remember - I think its generally the case that 1st team and reserves share coaches and facilities (but you still have hiring spots for dedicated reserve coaches) and then u18s are on their own. But I'm not 100% sure as I don't tend to pay that much attention to it. 

7 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Rio Ave have 1st team, reserve team, u-23 team, u19 team, e19 team b :D but with all that money and players that have porto and benfica... ;/

I wonder about Salzburg they have sponsorship offers till 2020 only... something like 24 mln per year... what will happen later when it ends ?

And they don't have reserve team;/

1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Rio Ave have 1st team, reserve team, u-23 team, u19 team, e19 team b :D but with all that money and players that have porto and benfica... ;/

I wonder about Salzburg they have sponsorship offers till 2020 only... something like 24 mln per year... what will happen later when it ends ?

And they don't have reserve team;/

Ah so they're not the only ones. Weird setup anyway.

Salzburg are interesting because they're part of that whole network of clubs, with only Leipzig higher in the food chain than them. You have an affiliate in the division below you (Liefering) instead. I'd imagine the sponsorships would get better if you bring success. You'd want to make sure you load a many players as possible from Brazil, Mali, Ghana, USA to make the most of the affiliate network if you did go with them.

Preferred league(s): Any top European league

Expectations: Mid table/qualifying for Europe, preferably fallen giant type

Finances: Decent-good

Youth/Training Facilities: Very strong youth set up with many high potential young players coming through plus strong possibility of a good HG-only challenge.

On 03/02/2019 at 10:20, ubos said:

Preferred league(s): Any top European league

Expectations: Mid table/qualifying for Europe, preferably fallen giant type

Finances: Decent-good

Youth/Training Facilities: Very strong youth set up with many high potential young players coming through plus strong possibility of a good HG-only challenge.

Spain: Athletic Bilbao, Betis, Real Sociedad
England: Arsenal, Southampton, Newcastle
Italy: Fiorentina, Torino, Sampdoria
Germany: Stuttgart, Frankfurt, RB Leipzig
France: Saint-Etienne, Bordeaux, Lille

Preferred league(s): Not one of the big European leagues (Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Portugal). Perhaps Scotland, Netherlands, Belgium or any other 

Expectations: Should not be the strongest team in the league, a challenger with potential to vie for domestic title and qualify for Europe

Philosophy: "Develop youth" is ideal

Finances: Should be reasonable 

Youth/Training Facilities: As good as possible.

In the past i enjoyed taking European teams from lesser leagues and making them progress in Europe through epic David Vs Goliath clashes. Eg i had a dream save with Hibernian with whom i made to final of Europa League. Unfortunately Hibernian have a crap team, and in many such leagues it becomes boring after a season or two. Any suggestions? 

1 hour ago, jeesh said:

Thanks mate. How is AZ and Eredivisie in general 

It varies save to save how well the top clubs replenish their ranks after losing players, but AZ have a couple of wonderkids like Boadu, a good youth setup, and are of the level just below Ajax / PSV / Feyenoord which adds to the challenge the early seasons. 

On 08/02/2019 at 17:45, jeesh said:

Preferred league(s): Not one of the big European leagues (Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Portugal). Perhaps Scotland, Netherlands, Belgium or any other 

Expectations: Should not be the strongest team in the league, a challenger with potential to vie for domestic title and qualify for Europe

Philosophy: "Develop youth" is ideal

Finances: Should be reasonable 

Youth/Training Facilities: As good as possible.

In the past i enjoyed taking European teams from lesser leagues and making them progress in Europe through epic David Vs Goliath clashes. Eg i had a dream save with Hibernian with whom i made to final of Europa League. Unfortunately Hibernian have a crap team, and in many such leagues it becomes boring after a season or two. Any suggestions? 

As @zlatanera said, AZ Alkmaar is an excellent choice as their facilities and youth infrastructures are already excellent from the start.

Alternatively, if you want something a little bit more challenging then you might want to consider going further Eastward and managing FK Krasnodar in Russia. The squad is just decent enough (one of their issues is that there is no solid tackler in their midfield) to qualify for European competitions (media prediction: 4th in the league), and they already possess "Excellent training facilities" and "State of the art youth facilities", although their youth coaching and recruitment still need a lot of work. The Chairman should be very keen for strong youth development, so it shouldn't be a problem for you to request improvements for these provided the club is in healthy financial state. Going head-to-head in the league against sides like Zenit and the teams from Moscow for top places should be pretty fun too.

Archived