Team Suggestion Thread

Do forgive me I'm wrong, but I haven't managed to locate a thread such as this that will allow people to ask for save suggestions. Many have been creating individual threads and creating this space should provide as a hub for suggestions and reducing clutter. 

Below is a small template I have created to help others find the most suitable team for you:

Preferred league(s):

Expectations:

Finances:

Youth/Training Facilities:

Preferred league(s): League One/Two (England), Serie A (Italy), Bundesliga (Germany)

Expectations: Any.

Finances: Depends on the status of team, not too bothered (unless the club are in a large amount of debt.)

Youth/Training Facilities: Same as above.

1 minute ago, Toads said:

This is a nice idea!

Thanks!

1 minute ago, zlatanera said:

Great idea, hope it catches on!

I actually opened this thinking "oh god, another guy asking for recommendations right above the last guy asking for recommendations"

I think it makes sense. This forum is getting cluttered with very similar threads, so this should help reduce the issue.'s 

That's pretty understandable! :p

If you're doing League Two how about Carlisle? Most northerly team in the Football League, not much money, pretty much no history (most memorable moment is Jimmy Glass scoring one of the great goalkeeper goals), on FM16 they didn't have much in the way of transfer budget or debts, there hasn't been a takeover so I can't imagine it'll be any different this time. Keith Curle has tried to create a side that plays passing football so shouldn't just be a bunch of violent giants and long throw merchants (although Rory Delap did start his career there). 

For Bundesliga - I can never make it stick but Hamburg are fun, plenty of debt but I never had my transfer revenue decreased, and the squad is representative more of the form that nearly saw them escape yet again than the form that put them in trouble in the first place. Dortmund obviously had a bunch of youth, but you should really start out at Mainz if you want to be Dortmund ;) Freiburg have never sacked a manager and pretty much epitomise the stereotype of the well-run German club, and obviously Frankfurt has potential. 

Serie A - I like Fiorentina, pretty much an entirely new squad suited for a variety of formations with a couple of great players for the league (Chiesa, Benassi), some prospects, unspectacular amount of money and a 50,000+ seater stadium you'll never fill. I prefer starting in clubs without Europe in Italy for some reason, so alongside Fiorentina I'd recommend Sampdoria, Genoa, or perhaps Cagliari (saw a guy in the Serie A thread have a lot of fun with them). Napoli look fun as well. 

22 hours ago, zlatanera said:

If you're doing League Two how about Carlisle? Most northerly team in the Football League, not much money, pretty much no history (most memorable moment is Jimmy Glass scoring one of the great goalkeeper goals), on FM16 they didn't have much in the way of transfer budget or debts, there hasn't been a takeover so I can't imagine it'll be any different this time. Keith Curle has tried to create a side that plays passing football so shouldn't just be a bunch of violent giants and long throw merchants (although Rory Delap did start his career there). 

For Bundesliga - I can never make it stick but Hamburg are fun, plenty of debt but I never had my transfer revenue decreased, and the squad is representative more of the form that nearly saw them escape yet again than the form that put them in trouble in the first place. Dortmund obviously had a bunch of youth, but you should really start out at Mainz if you want to be Dortmund ;) Freiburg have never sacked a manager and pretty much epitomise the stereotype of the well-run German club, and obviously Frankfurt has potential. 

Serie A - I like Fiorentina, pretty much an entirely new squad suited for a variety of formations with a couple of great players for the league (Chiesa, Benassi), some prospects, unspectacular amount of money and a 50,000+ seater stadium you'll never fill. I prefer starting in clubs without Europe in Italy for some reason, so alongside Fiorentina I'd recommend Sampdoria, Genoa, or perhaps Cagliari (saw a guy in the Serie A thread have a lot of fun with them). Napoli look fun as well. 

Brilliant suggestions and I appreciate the reasoning behind them. Perfect example of what to follow ;).

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Hairyflump said:

Preferred Leagues Calcio A Ligue 1

Expectations: Not top top team. Challenging around Europa/Champions league

Finances: Depends on the status of team, not too bothered.

Youth/Training Facilities: Same as above.

On 24/05/2018 at 19:46, zlatanera said:

Preferred league(s): Any major nation (England/Germany/Spain/Italy/France/Holland/Portugal), prefer a team outside the top division

Expectations: Nice & mid table

Finances: Just not in loads of debt

Youth/Training Facilities: Average is fine, just not awful

Tactics: Would like to experiment with 3 at the back so a team with a suitable squad

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, superbowl145 said:

Preferred league(s): Serie B-Ligue 2- Liga 123 (Spain 2 division)-Sky Bet Championship

Expectations: Medium Table-Top Half-Play-off

Finances: Any

Youth/Training Facilities: Any

FC Sochaux in Ligue 2 may be what you're after. Finances are pretty good for that level. Have great youngsters, especially Atsal Aktas. When I was them I kept getting the golden generation intake due to the great facilities they have. Think I got it 5 years in a row at one point. Took me about 7-8 seasons to get my first bit of silverware (Got promoted via 2nd place in 2nd season) and think I finally won ligue 1 in my 10th season so is a good building project.

Any suggestions on a good team to be in a smaller nation league. Would require it to have good youth recruitment as thinking of doing an intake only challenge. Was thinking somewhere like Denmark or Czech Republic but hope someone has some suggestions on who I could be.

10 hours ago, superbowl145 said:

Preferred league(s): Serie B-Ligue 2- Liga 123 (Spain 2 division)-Sky Bet Championship

Bari. Huge stadium, top-half level squad, I believe finances and facilities are decent for this level as well. I'd been considering going as them myself. 

7 hours ago, KF1990 said:

Any suggestions on a good team to be in a smaller nation league. Would require it to have good youth recruitment as thinking of doing an intake only challenge. Was thinking somewhere like Denmark or Czech Republic but hope someone has some suggestions on who I could be.

FC Midtjylland - great youth recruitment and a history of doing it in real life. Quite a young squad on the game at the start as well, with a few older heads like Tim Sparv who'll make great tutors, and decent finances (they pay off their debts by 2018). 

12 hours ago, superbowl145 said:

Birmingham
Wolves
Bristol City
Real Valladolid
Rayo Vallecano
Zaragoza

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 16:29, zlatanera said:

FC Midtjylland - great youth recruitment and a history of doing it in real life. Quite a young squad on the game at the start as well, with a few older heads like Tim Sparv who'll make great tutors, and decent finances (they pay off their debts by 2018). 

Cheers, I did do one with them on FM16 and was really enjoyable. Think they still have most of the youngsters from then like Munksgaard and Karinen and Dueland. Believe it might have just been the RB that went to Ajax now. Might look to start one up with them again, thanks for the suggestion.

18 hours ago, KF1990 said:

Cheers, I did do one with them on FM16 and was really enjoyable. Think they still have most of the youngsters from then like Munksgaard and Karinen and Dueland. Believe it might have just been the RB that went to Ajax now. Might look to start one up with them again, thanks for the suggestion.

Aha me too! Turned them into a Europa League powerhouse, but when I left the new guys started paying guys £60k a week and they did ok in short term but were clearly doomed. Yeah Rasmus Nissen Kristensen went to Ajax, I think you get a sell-on fee, and those three guys you mentioned are all still there. Sviatchenko is back on loan as well, although if you don't use the update you keep RNK but don't get Sviatchenko.

Preferred league(s): Greece, Turkey, Ukraine

Expectations: Not teams fighting for trophies or in European competitions. I would prefer teams predicted to finish bottom half or also clubs in the 2nd league.

Finances: Insecure to Good (not Rich).

Youth/Training Facilities: Not top facilities, but something on which to build using young players from the Academy.

11 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Expectations: Not teams fighting for trophies or in European competitions. I would prefer teams predicted to finish bottom half or also clubs in the 2nd league.

Youth/Training Facilities: Not top facilities, but something on which to build using young players from the Academy.

One I've been meaning to try is Altinordu in the 2nd division in Turkey - good facilities, their chairman has a stated aim of an entirely homegrown squad in the top division by 2019-20, I know Berke Özer in goal is a great prospect, I'm sure they'll have a few others. I know of them only from this article: Game changer: how Altinordu aim to dominate Turkish football with homegrown players

12 hours ago, zlatanera said:

One I've been meaning to try is Altinordu in the 2nd division in Turkey - good facilities, their chairman has a stated aim of an entirely homegrown squad in the top division by 2019-20, I know Berke Özer in goal is a great prospect, I'm sure they'll have a few others. I know of them only from this article: Game changer: how Altinordu aim to dominate Turkish football with homegrown players

Thats a great suggestion, had them on my radar too but was a little off-put by their smaller stadium and ugly kits. Might just give them a go after all.

On 11/07/2018 at 11:31, Muttley84 said:

Greece: Xanthi, Levadeiakos, Larisa, Ergotelis
Turkey: Sivasspor, Gençlerbirligi, Kasimpasa, Eskisehirspor
Ukraine: Metallurg Mariupol, Olimpik Donetsk, Karpaty, Arsenal-Kyiv

1 hour ago, BadAss88 said:

Greece: Xanthi, Levadeiakos, Larisa, Ergotelis
Turkey: Sivasspor, Gençlerbirligi, Kasimpasa, Eskisehirspor
Ukraine: Metallurg Mariupol, Olimpik Donetsk, Karpaty, Arsenal-Kyiv

Thanks for the suggestions. Kasimpasa was a good option for me but finally decided to start with Altinordu in the 2nd league. Cheers.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 02:02, zlatanera said:

Aha me too! Turned them into a Europa League powerhouse, but when I left the new guys started paying guys £60k a week and they did ok in short term but were clearly doomed. Yeah Rasmus Nissen Kristensen went to Ajax, I think you get a sell-on fee, and those three guys you mentioned are all still there. Sviatchenko is back on loan as well, although if you don't use the update you keep RNK but don't get Sviatchenko.

Went for Nordsjaelland in the end. They have some fantastic youth players especially in midfield. Godsway Donyoh has been a sensation for me and bagged 20 goals in 22 games. Just the 1 game left of the season and finished 2nd, Copenhagen ran away with the league and are around 18pts clear. Surprisingly FC Midtjylland finished in 7th just outside of the Championship phase. I also managed to sign Munksgard from them for around 400k after selling my RB Barotec for 2.5M to Schalke.

• 2 weeks later...

Preferred league(s): England, Germany, Italy or Spain

Expectations: Don't mind
Finances: Don't mind
Youth/Training Facilities: Would love to have the best youth facilities

Okay, so had a long term save with West Ham that I have just got bored with. What I want out of this one is somewhere that has as many as possible very good/excellent home grown players that I can make a core of the team out of for the next 7 or 8 seasons. I am thinking possibly Bayer Leverkusen with Brandt, Havertz, Akkaynak etc.

Anyone else that comes to mind. I don't want a top, top club (so no Barcelona, Real, Man City, Man Utd etc, but equally don't want a bottom of the table club either. I also don't like being restricted with transfer dealings so for that reason alone no Bilbao. Thanks.

West Ham actually have some amazing youngsters! The other club in England would be Everton. But if you've done England already maybe another league would be good.

Schalke have a great history of producing youngsters, but they haven't been able to hold onto them. Still some good ones though with Meyer, McKennie, Kehrer, Harit, Embolo. 

Fiorentina in Italy would be good too, they have one of the most exciting young prospects to come through in Federico Chiesa, and other good youngsters like Giovanni Simeone & Marco Benassi. 

Preferred league(s): Any top european

Expectations: Not too concerned, but preferably top half

Finances: At least okay, but don't need loads. Nice to spend though

Youth/Training Facilities: An important part for sure, I love developing players

23 minutes ago, Aizo4576 said:

Preferred league(s): Any top european

Expectations: Not too concerned, but preferably top half

Finances: At least okay, but don't need loads. Nice to spend though

Youth/Training Facilities: An important part for sure, I love developing players

Valencia, Lyon, Schalke.

Looking for a final FM save, something a bit refreshing but not too difficult. Only stipulation I got is that it got to be Europe, as I hate managing elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TheJanitor said:

Valencia, Lyon, Schalke.

Looking for a final FM save, something a bit refreshing but not too difficult. Only stipulation I got is that it got to be Europe, as I hate managing elsewhere.

Thanks I'll check them out! I should add, playing on the newest unofficial transfer update

7 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

I don't know your previous save history so I'm just going to throw out a few options that I've either played or considered playing:

Athletic Bilbao (if you've never done it before can be a very fun challenge), Real Sociedad (the Basque underdog with some outstanding players like Odriozola, Oyarzabal, Illaramendi), Eibar (smallest town in La Liga), VIllarreal

Benevento (obvious reasons), Fiorentina (only a couple of cup wins since the 1950s, kinda like an Italian Newcastle, plus other reasons I've listed earlier in the thread), Napoli, Roma, Sassuolo

Newcastle (some say they're the English Fiorentina - one club city with no real success since the 1950s), Burton, FC United

Nantes 

Altinordu (Turkish second division, owner has publicly stated desire to have an entirely homegrown team in the top league by 2019-20 which is...bold). There's a thread in Career Updates showing the other guy I recommended them to having a great time, considering taking them on myself.

Burton is a good team to manage, I had great fun with them as I tried not to spend any money there, I tried to make as many cut backs as possible to player wages, bonuses etc and improved the facilities etc, I managed to stay up in my first season, mid table in 2nd season and promoted in 3rd season, I got some bargain freebies who I ended up selling for massive profit and making the club a lot of money and then got bored once I got promoted to the Prem lol.

With a summer transfer update, who are a too division team with a great platform to build on? Thinking in Italy, Spain, France or Germany, and can be a title challenging team or fighting to get in to Europe, I just like a solid base to build up from

Hello I m here to ask for a challenge of long term, I m trying to keep my morale up with same saves but after a games i just lose the interesting in the team and it s been like that in mouths help find a carrer of a life, can someone team a relegation team with a medium budget ? 

I only have these countries:

Portugal

England

France

Italy

Germany

Brazil

Spain

18 hours ago, FMFCP said:

Hello I m here to ask for a challenge of long term, I m trying to keep my morale up with same saves but after a games i just lose the interesting in the team and it s been like that in mouths help find a carrer of a life, can someone team a relegation team with a medium budget ? 

I only have these countries:

Portugal

England

France

Italy

Germany

Brazil

Spain

Portugal - Braga, Sporting CP, Rio Ave and Vitória S.C.

England - Stoke, Newcastle, West Brom

France - Rennas, Angers, Bordeaux and Dijon

Italy - Udinese, Lazio, Palmero

Germany - Koln, Frankfurt, Werder Bremen, Leverkusen

Brazil - Internacional, Fluminense and Atleitco Mineiro

Spain - Celta Virgo, Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao, Deportivo

On 29/07/2018 at 15:03, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Burton is a good team to manage, I had great fun with them as I tried not to spend any money there, I tried to make as many cut backs as possible to player wages, bonuses etc and improved the facilities etc, I managed to stay up in my first season, mid table in 2nd season and promoted in 3rd season, I got some bargain freebies who I ended up selling for massive profit and making the club a lot of money and then got bored once I got promoted to the Prem lol.

I'm sold. Starting with Burton and w/o first window - going to have some hard time with that squad. Was shocked to discover that they have state of the art youth and training facilities.

4 minutes ago, TheJanitor said:

I'm sold. Starting with Burton and w/o first window - going to have some hard time with that squad. Was shocked to discover that they have state of the art youth and training facilities.

Yeah I think the facilities they use are the facilities that the England national team use or something like that. maybe something to do with the England Youth set up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 21:15, joker_n0_shadow1 said:

Preferred league(s): Croatia , Austria , Greece , Turkey , serbia ( any nation with low coefficent ) to make them european force

Expectations: mid league 

Finances: any thing not specific

Youth/Training Facilities: not specific 

Slaven Belupo, Admira Wacker, Xanthi, Kasimpasa, Rad, Luzern

@craiigman how small? 

Aside from the obvious Fiorentina recc you know's coming in a comment by me, Bilbao and San Sebastian are both nice places so Athletic or Real Sociedad would be a good bet (although obviously Athletic overshadow Real, as seen by buying their best defender in January). Bari, who won't be playable next year without a custom db as they've gone bust, are in a nice place with no other big teams unless you go as far away as Naples. Palermo are similar, or Venezia perhaps? Moving away from Italy, perhaps Bordeaux? Or going smaller and to the south of France, Montpellier? In a smaller league, perhaps Hajduk Split in Croatia? 

If you're of a certain mind Newcastle a is pretty great place too!

10 hours ago, craiigman said:

Preferred league(s): any

Expectations: any

Finances: good

Youth/Training Facilities: good

want a smallish team but in a nice location in real life, preferably not a team over shadowed by a bigger team in same area though.

Sunderland? ;) 

12 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@craiigman how small? 

Aside from the obvious Fiorentina recc you know's coming in a comment by me, Bilbao and San Sebastian are both nice places so Athletic or Real Sociedad would be a good bet (although obviously Athletic overshadow Real, as seen by buying their best defender in January). Bari, who won't be playable next year without a custom db as they've gone bust, are in a nice place with no other big teams unless you go as far away as Naples. Palermo are similar, or Venezia perhaps? Moving away from Italy, perhaps Bordeaux? Or going smaller and to the south of France, Montpellier? In a smaller league, perhaps Hajduk Split in Croatia? 

If you're of a certain mind Newcastle a is pretty great place too!

Thanks for the suggestions. I like Italy in real life, but having managed Fiorentina before I don’t like the setup. Teams have so many players and loaning each other’s youth players for the youth teams. It’s so strange.

Will think about those French teams, do either have good youth setups? 

6 hours ago, craiigman said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I like Italy in real life, but having managed Fiorentina before I don’t like the setup. Teams have so many players and loaning each other’s youth players for the youth teams. It’s so strange.

Will think about those French teams, do either have good youth setups? 

Yeah it can be a pain to get rid of them the first season, but does help boost your transfer budget. Going back to your initial ask for teams in nice places - Uruguay has the highest Human Development Index in South America, the likes of Danubio and Defensor have good facilities if you're interested in leaving Europe.  

Back to those French teams:

1804242734_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_38_47.thumb.png.aa9c07178fa361c9675b4185a9c33d91.png

Bordeaux

1343532626_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_39_04.thumb.png.1a8882b23aa34144cc1b1fe5cdbbbe9d.png

Montpellier

Neither are the best - PSG weirdly have amazing facilities, as do billionaires playground Monaco, and Lyon and Marseille but I assumed they would be too big for you. 

3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Yeah it can be a pain to get rid of them the first season, but does help boost your transfer budget. Going back to your initial ask for teams in nice places - Uruguay has the highest Human Development Index in South America, the likes of Danubio and Defensor have good facilities if you're interested in leaving Europe.  

Back to those French teams:

1804242734_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_38_47.thumb.png.aa9c07178fa361c9675b4185a9c33d91.png

Bordeaux

1343532626_ScreenShot2018-08-12at13_39_04.thumb.png.1a8882b23aa34144cc1b1fe5cdbbbe9d.png

Montpellier

Neither are the best - PSG weirdly have amazing facilities, as do billionaires playground Monaco, and Lyon and Marseille but I assumed they would be too big for you. 

Thanks for the help mate. Currently looking at Nimes. They got promoted IRL last season so will play Ligue 1 this season. They have good youth facilities but only average in coaching/recruitment. Montpelier are bigger and close, and OM aren't too far away though. Has potential to be a good save should I managed to get the recruitment up quickly. Be hard to compete with OM, but hopefully catch up to Montpelier after a few years.

Archived