Cup draw question

Nothing major but noticed a few times on cup draws that at times, the teams get switched around.

I watched the Europa League Draw, can't remember the teams involved but team A got drawn out as the home team, then when they Drew Team B, Team B became the home team even though they were drawn out 2nd. Just had it on my Arsenal save too, FA Cup semi final draw, I was drawn out the hat 1st, Man C got drawn out 2nd yet it pushed me over to the spot which should have been where Man C were.

Any ideas?

Can't say I've ever taken much notice myself to be honest.

In European competitions though, I think there is a 'seeding' system whereby the better seed gets the home tie first in a two-legged stage (I could be wrong though). I think the seeding is the group stage position. Like I say, I could be wrong, it's a system used in the A-League playoffs as well, highest finishing team of the two gets the home tie.

As for the FA Cup, again  I could be wrong, but  I think that as it is a neutral venue, it's done on a coin toss as to who gets the 'home' status for the purpose of kit clash. So the tie is drawn, then 'coin-tossed' for home/sway status. They do the same for the final.

I've seen it happen in European qualifiers where two teams ground-sharing were both drawn at home in the first leg. The second team out had their draw reversed to avoid the clash.

I hadn't realised that coin tosses were used to sort out kit clashes. I had a Scottish Cup semi where my Aberdeen team (red home kit) were drawn at "home" against Hamilton (red and white kit). The teams were switched and I did wonder why, but never really thought any more about it. Thanks for clearing that up!

In certain draws in real life certain teams have been designated as home or away before the draw so this might be built in and just not explained, Ground shares or 2 teams playing in the same city on the same night can affect this 

17 hours ago, Colbert said:

I've seen it happen in European qualifiers where two teams ground-sharing were both drawn at home in the first leg. The second team out had their draw reversed to avoid the clash.

I hadn't realised that coin tosses were used to sort out kit clashes. I had a Scottish Cup semi where my Aberdeen team (red home kit) were drawn at "home" against Hamilton (red and white kit). The teams were switched and I did wonder why, but never really thought any more about it. Thanks for clearing that up!

Can't be certain it is actually a coin toss, but am sure it is some kind of process with a 50/50 chance.

Archived