Sports Interactive Community
YKW

[Suggestion] Bringing Life to the Supporters

+1

This is a fantastic, well thought out idea. 

Mock ups are indeed quite excellent too and I could actually imagine that being in the game. Good work 

it does quite nicely address the issue of

what is a football club with out it's fans ...

i like the idea of match atmosphere too

all in all excellently put together

@YKW

Good post, well thought and presented.

Excellent job, keep it going

That's awesome - I'd love to see something like this in the game! Keep it up :)

To continue with this I have my interpretation of the 'Fanbase' tab. The idea behind this is to provide a screen which I could use to track the size and location of my fanbase. This would probably be most exciting in a journeyman style game as the developments may take a while to manifest, however it would be especially useful in targeting nations to tour/setting up feeder clubs etc, and would have links to the 'Tickets & Merchandising' tab (to come later.)

77380729_Fanbasetab.thumb.png.e2ae0888c81a101ede0ac37c467317c8.png

The main section on this page is a dynamic map, similar to the one on the 'Rivalries' tab but showing rough supporter numbers from around the world.

408254244_worldfanbase1.thumb.png.3164a4194d55f90203a369a5146400ad.png

In the middle you have a world map with the different regions highlighted to represent the average level of support for the club. Ideally this could be changed using the dropdown to move from a 'World" map to a map of a specific region (see below.) Clicking on one of the seven "continents" brings up some relevant information on the right. First you have the region name. Then you have a description of the level of support for the club in that region, in this case "Growing." You could also see things like "Stable," "Declining," "Stagnant," etc. 

Below this you have a counter for the number of players in your squad that are from this region (which obviously would have a link to the level of support for your club in that region.) Underneath this is the number of Affiliate Clubs you have. Below this is the estimated number of supporter groups that you have in that region. According to Tottenham's website they have 70 supporter groups in North America. Ideally this number could just go up and down over time depending on the various factors in play (especially population.)

Finally you have the major nations in that region. In hindsight I should really have put Mexico there as well - sorry Mexicans!  

On the left of the map is some basic information about Tottenham including World Reputation and Social Media Reach (as in a previous suggestion.) There is also a new description for "Fanbase" which appears as green reputation stars. Most simply this could just be a reflection of how many regions you had managed to acquire fans in, rather than anything intricate. However I also feel in the long term there could be a fun distinction made between 'Reputation' and 'Fanbase' in that 'Fanbase would be much more of a zero-sum game. For example,  what exactly would it take to displace Manchester United as the most popular club in Asia? The rewards would be large enough to try it, but the difficulty is that it requires Man Utd to lose a lot of fans in order for you to gain them. Anyway.

By changing the dropdown menu to a specific region you would able to see a few pieces of more specific information such as this:

2089417072_worldfanbase2.thumb.png.cbbc3916abbfc35f192590139bf95a55.png

Now I've selected North America and can now see that the majority of my support (if not all of it) is coming from the USA. On the right is some of the information you had previously but on top of that you have a profile of the biggest star from that nation, in this case a newgen called Rob Bell. This would be a nice quick way of earmarking a potential signing, if increasing your fanbase in America was one of your main objectives. 

To the bottom right of the whole screen is a section called 'Club Fanbase List'

1544724468_clublist.thumb.png.644ae28acd552f9e0b7cc96de282769e.png

This would allow you to quickly see which clubs had the biggest and most widespread fanbases. As you could guess from looking at the picture, Fanbase would decline much faster than Reputation, i.e below "Worldwide" reputation there may be very few clubs with more than one star of 'Fanbase."

The final section is called "Continental Stars" and this would show who was currently the biggest star in each continent, and what their specific nationality was. (please ignore the error with Australia being in Oceania)

1969209610_continentalstars.png.5b4701f6d9bf2faf760ac96b9bd790a8.png

This would be a nice quick way of seeing which players were the biggest stars in their respective home areas, which would also provide another opportunity to earmark potential signings if you happened to have more global ambitions. 

Tickets & Merchandising would obviously overlap with this quite a lot, hopefully providing interesting feedback on your status in your footballing landscape. Thanks for reading.

Posted (edited)

YKW - as I said earlier, excellent job, but in addtion to your ideas i would suggest to you to consider also the topic of fanbase of players and managers.

It would be nice to see how many fans do we have as managers and from which countries.

Edited by Cint

This will be in the game someday if its not in 2019

On 27/05/2018 at 07:36, FrazT said:

@YKW

Good post, well thought and presented.

Please review it and put in FM19!!!

This is brilliant, sign this fella up SI.

It would be fantastic (no pun intended) if in-match fans could react to rivals score updates too. I'm on a title run-in on FM18 at the moment, a 3-0 was just winding down when Southampton scored a 90th minute winner against Chelsea (our nearest rivals). In reality the stadium noise would have quickly become noisier eventually really loud, which may have raised the players' games too.  It's a shame it's not featured in FM, though I've no doubt it's on the huge wishlist. 

@YKW sorry the content and premise isn't something that would interest me, it would be a tab I'd quickly forget about after the first few saves. But I can see how it would interest a lot of users.

I would like to comment that this is the best feature request I've ever read in terms of your write up and development. :applause:

Have to agree with everyone above, fantastic job!

Posted (edited)

would like to add a suggestion: the "burning issues" segment. in this tab, issues the fans are concerned about and their relative importance to the fans are presented based on social media comments. those issues will affect board decisions, specifically in clubs where they need to be elected, fans' satisfaction of you and the board, and fanbase growth rate. the issues will differ depending on specific country, whether or not the fans are local, developed state and wealth, as well as match, players/signings and competition expectations and performance. issues will be categorized to be concerning regional, national and global, as well as neutral (which are yet to be fans but have the potential of becoming ones), regular and "fanatic" fans, importance, meaning different groups of fans will be concerned about different topics. such issues might be (all issues will be important to all or most fan groups, the following is categorized by stereotypical characteristics):

local/"fanatic"- stadium condition, youth development and local players/ contributing players to the national team, derbies, and seasonal ticket prices.

national/regular- ticket prices, domestic success, key signings of good and domestic players.

global/neutral- convenience watching games (time and available broadcasting), prestige and reputation of clubs and players, singing players from their local nation, merchandise prices, playing attacking football, touring destinations and international success.

"ticking the boxes" of fans' expectations will increase the likelihood of fans shifting to the "next", more "advanced" category,like neutral fans liking your style of football enough to start attending matches, or regular attending fans becoming more engaged and buying a seasonal ticket. failing to do so will result fans losing interest and becoming less likely to attend matches or buying merchandise.

overall this is a great and thoroughly developed suggestion, keep it up.:applause:  

Edited by itay.bing

Are these suggestions being looked at by the developers? 

Great stuff! 

This idea is simply incredible!! Hope to see something Like this in next FM!

The 5 supporters attributes that are in game now, how reflect their effects to players? 

And how the players react to the comment to their performances in board sections?

SI, hire this man! 

in the supporters spokesman digest section, an option to ask the supporter spokesman for fan reactions of a specific country or region, rather than hope it shows a fan from a specific place you are trying to get a glimpse of, would be an improvement.for instance, if you do not lock Lucy and she is replaced by another fan, it is way more likely that English, American or Chinese fans will be generated, and it might take a long while until it generates another fan from Australia. football importance and the estimated amount of fans of said country should also be listed in that section. an area where no or not enough fans are there to give the spokesman a reliable insight about the country's fans opinions will be noted by the spokesman to be so, without presenting any generated fans. 

This and the media idea are just top drawer, presented well, fit in with the game style and expanding role as a FM.

Superb work.

Proper FM enthusiast. Love the idea and the work you put into doing this is 1st class. The effort and thought you have put into this is something else, if it does not go in the game at some point it would be a travesty. 

Great presentation and „bringing life to the supporters“ could be a big deal for FM. But it seems to me that your focus is too much on (economical) issues and details that are nice to know but beyond aspects the manager is really concerned by. What about a stronger link between team dynamic, media and supporters’ attributes? Every party of your "stakeholders" – the board, the players, the media, the supporters – is forming a view on your decisions but on the others as well – and the manager has to handle and deal with relationships of tension. 

This is absolutely great stuff, sir.  I can understand how this might not be appealing to everyone, but I know I would enjoy it very much. I believe it would help me immerse myself more fully in the football world in which my save exists.

Wow. Don't think I've ever seen such a well thought out, nicely written and neatly designed idea.

Love this! Would really bring the club to life and add realism and a connection to fans 

Great ideas and very very very well presented.

There's should be another tab related to the Media where newspaper and TV with fictious journos and commentators (I guess you can't have real journos) interact with football events, the mood of the fanbase and the decisions of the board. Here in Italy at least this is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, part of the game itself and often managers have to worry more of the fanbase/media combo than of the opposition on the field.

Edited by ale1969