Sports Interactive Community
alanschu14

Anyone else feel that pride/attachment to former players?

I love developing players, even ones that aren't good enough to play for me but still go on to have successful pro careers in other places. I was debating selling my left back, despite winning Champions League and him scoring his first 2 goals, one in Champions League, this past season. He did have a good season. But he's a bit old and I have two killer prospects, one almost as good as my starter and another I want to make sure gets good minutes.

I brought Lucio Bagala in to Europe while I was at Reims, and when I moved to Wolfsburg after a year I made a move to bring Lucio in again. He was a solid starter (replacing a minimum clause loss that Chelsea poached from me), and made a respectable (but a bit underpaid) €2.5m a year.

Tottenham was interested, and picked him up for €50m, chance up to €65 with 15% sell clause.

And seeing his wage (my top player, that just won Europe Player of the year, makes €13m p/a) I can't help but think "way to go Lucio!" :D

image.thumb.png.fe3dfbb39f05d0459a724a2b647ca7f7.png

I've been here long enough with a solid reserve team that I'm checking out how some of my former players are doing in assorted leagues throughout Germany and some beyond ^_^

right now most of my squads from league 1, 2 and championship are all over the pyramid, a interview asked me about how bad one of my players in my first season was doing at league 2 as a manager, i kinda feel good to see he is still around since he was the one that got me out of 6th tier, i also found some of my player from league 2 still playing as 33yo+ in the non playable leagues and some players that i had to sell due to "too good offers" actually don't even making championship.

that does happens and to some extremes some actually risk using player from 2 tier down because of attachment to one player, my first intake got me a REALLY good CB for the 6th tier, he was with me from all the way to the PL, right now he is useless for the team because he has league 1 quality, i could get away using him as rotation but i can't just let him go, he is without contract but still in my team, 2 teams are interested since i started the season but im kinda waiting to offer him at least a scout position in my team or something (if he becomes my Assman by any chance that would be hilarious)

I'm playing as Leeds (the club I support) and Pontus Jansson is someone I have huge respect for. 

I'm into my 6th season now, he's just turned 31 and probably isn't quite good enough to be a first 11 player week in week out, but I just had to use him in the Champions League. My group consisted of Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid and PSG. How could I not give him game time against those clubs after the years of service he has given us and the relationship he has with the fans? 

I also made lots of changes for my final game of the group stages against PSG. We had already qualified for the next round and I just had to give games to some of my talented youngsters as well as a few others who had been at the club for a number of years. 

Edited by PinkSpeedos

I must admit, I often tend to check on my 'stars of the future' every now and again after they've left my club. I also develop attachments to players if they break records and what not.

I remember on FM17, I'd created my own club and I had a Left Back newgen named Jack Sparrow (how cool right?). Fittingly, he had near perfect attributes for captaincy. After he'd integrated himself within the squad he became vice captain and then club captain a few seasons later after my then-captain retired. He went on to be my leading appearance maker, spent his whole career with my club and was a club legend. When he retired, I offered him the chance to be my right hand man which he happily took. Once I left the club, he stayed and became the permanent manager and I thought that was quite nice. I think he was also the youngest player to play for the club at the time.

1 hour ago, Neotropolis said:

I must admit, I often tend to check on my 'stars of the future' every now and again after they've left my club. I also develop attachments to players if they break records and what not.

I remember on FM17, I'd created my own club and I had a Left Back newgen named Jack Sparrow (how cool right?). Fittingly, he had near perfect attributes for captaincy. After he'd integrated himself within the squad he became vice captain and then club captain a few seasons later after my then-captain retired. He went on to be my leading appearance maker, spent his whole career with my club and was a club legend. When he retired, I offered him the chance to be my right hand man which he happily took. Once I left the club, he stayed and became the permanent manager and I thought that was quite nice. I think he was also the youngest player to play for the club at the time.

Ahahaha that is amazing!

I haven't (yet!) had a long enough save with a super solid youth uptake (my longest game was in Norway, which meant importing a lot of young players to get them home grown), but this game at Wolfsburg has me with a 17 year old that is probably almost as good as my 2nd best centerback already and I'm very excited to see where his career goes! Same with a star RB.

It kind of reminds me of Crusader Kings when family members end up in other parts of the world and I just check in to see how they are doing hahahaha. I love making careers by taking chances on higher potential young players that aren't quite breaking into first teams. Works well for turning a profit too.

2 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Ahahaha that is amazing!

I haven't (yet!) had a long enough save with a super solid youth uptake (my longest game was in Norway, which meant importing a lot of young players to get them home grown), but this game at Wolfsburg has me with a 17 year old that is probably almost as good as my 2nd best centerback already and I'm very excited to see where his career goes! Same with a star RB.

It kind of reminds me of Crusader Kings when family members end up in other parts of the world and I just check in to see how they are doing hahahaha. I love making careers by taking chances on higher potential young players that aren't quite breaking into first teams. Works well for turning a profit too.

I think I was lucky enough to get him in one of my first intakes as well!

In FM11, I managed a div2 Norwegian team and was able to buy a Nigerian winger from a Nigerian club. His name was Michael Amoo. He was way too talented to play with us so it didn't take long before he was bought by a better club: Danish club FC Kobenhavn. 

I lost track of him until after a few years when I saw the results of the Champions League final where Bayern defeated Inter. There was a player named Amoo on the scoresheet so I had a look if it was him. I didn't think it was as I thought he wasn't that talented to play for Bayern, but boy... Was I wrong! He basically developed into similar style player as Robben. I felt proud I discovered him... 

Edited by fmonit

I find myself re-signing players I've sold years earlier for big money when they're coming to the end of their career, just to have them end their career with me :D.