Do we still need the third place playoff?

Rob1981

Do we still need the third place playoff?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Well do we?

• Nah, it's pointless
    • Totally, adds to the World Cup magic

Pros - Can't think of any.

Cons - Nobody cares who wins.  Nobody can even remember who wins afterwards.  Mainly just a cash cow for FIFA.  Other international tournaments don't have them.  Often second string sides put out anyway, devalued as a spectacle.  Actually feel a bit sorry for players who have to hang around for 4-5 extra days when they're totally crushed after losing a semi and just want to get home and haven't seen their families for a month.  Could put the final on a Saturday night instead of a Sunday if they did away with the third place game.

Pointless nowadays innit.  I always say I'm not going watch it but then watch it anyway because there is nothing else on.

It always ends up feeling like a glorified friendly. However, I think the pros are if you get a team such as Turkey or South Korea make it to the semi finals, although they might not have finished in the final, to compete to finish 3rd is still an achievement. For a team like Germany, or Brazil etc, this match will always seem a little pointless because of the expectations. 

4 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

It always ends up feeling like a glorified friendly. However, I think the pros are if you get a team such as Turkey or South Korea make it to the semi finals, although they might not have finished in the final, to compete to finish 3rd is still an achievement. For a team like Germany, or Brazil etc, this match will always seem a little pointless because of the expectations.  

It started feeling like a friendly over the last 3-4 World Cups.

But as you said, it's a huge achievement for the underdogs and if  someone like Germany or Brazil doesn't want to play in it, they can just field the reserves.

5 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

if you get a team such as Turkey or South Korea make it to the semi finals, although they might not have finished in the final, to compete to finish 3rd is still an achievement.

The achievement for a smaller country is simply getting to the last four though.  They don't go home feeling like 3rd is somehow a better result than just going out in the semis and not having to play again.

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

The achievement for a smaller country is simply getting to the last four though.  They don't go home feeling like 3rd is somehow a better result than just going out in the semis and not having to play again. 

Yes, they do.

It's a huge difference when you go home with a medal and win the last game.

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yes, they do.

It's a huge difference when you go home with a medal and win the last game.

Depends who you ask. Van Gaal was no fan of having to play the play-off in 2010.

Lee Dixon has previously spoke about how nobody in the England squad wanted to play in the 1990 play-off.

1 minute ago, grff said:

Depends who you ask. Van Gaal was no fan of having to play the play-off in 2010.

Lee Dixon has previously spoke about how nobody in the England squad wanted to play in the 1990 play-off.

Then field the reserves as I said.

I'm Croatian and the '98 success is pretty much a myth now. If it was just the semis instead of a medal, it wouldn't be seen as nearly as much of a success.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm Croatian and the '98 success is pretty much a myth now. If it was just the semis instead of a medal, it wouldn't be seen as nearly as much of a success.

Similar to the Welsh at Euro 2016 though that, a little unfancied team doing loads better than expected and getting to the last four and winning fans along the way.  Is Croatia 1998 a better story / better achievement than Wales 2016 because they finished 3rd whereas the Welsh only got to the semi and then there was no playoff?  Of course not.

7 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Similar to the Welsh at Euro 2016 though that, a little unfancied team doing loads better than expected and getting to the last four and winning fans along the way.  Is Croatia 1998 a better story / better achievement than Wales 2016 because they finished 3rd whereas the Welsh only got to the semi and then there was no playoff?  Of course not.

Imo, every third place is better than semi-finals if you look from the achievement standpoint.

Especially on the world cup.

41 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Pointless nowadays innit.  I always say I'm not going watch it but then watch it anyway because there is nothing else on.

Tbf I've watched every World Cup in full since 1990 with the exception of 2002 and the only round / fixture I've never bother with is the 3rd place playoffs, 2 losing teams playing for nothing is totally pointless and always has been.

27 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It's like the intercontinental title before the world title. It's not what you're there for, but it's usually good fun, and as a match usually better than the main event.

It's nowhere near like the Intercontinental Cup title as that it's actually a proper title and it was (and the current Club World Cup is) the most important game of the year for South American teams and players. Most Brazilians would probably rather have their team winning this title than Brazil winning the World Cup.

Ronaldo winning both the Intercontinental Cup and the World Cup in 2002 is regarded as an achievement in Brazil, for instance.

14 minutes ago, PMLF said:

It's nowhere near like the Intercontinental Cup title as that it's actually a proper title and it was (and the current Club World Cup is) the most important game of the year for South American teams and players. Most Brazilians would probably rather have their team winning this title than Brazil winning the World Cup.

Ronaldo winning both the Intercontinental Cup and the World Cup in 2002 is regarded as an achievement in Brazil, for instance.

I was making a flimsy wrestling reference :D 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I was making a flimsy wrestling reference :D 

I thought you meant the Intercontinental Cup. :D 

I don't follow wrestling, but I am sure your comparison is appropriate. :thup:

20 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Golden boot :D Have a lie down.

Stranger things have happened... England don't even have that tough a group either, no reason Kane couldn't bang in 4/5 in the group stages. That alone could be enough for top scorer  (although probably unlikely). 

Would prefer if it was used as a (TV) opener for the World Cup final, have it in the afternoon of the final.

I don't remember any 3rd place playoff result other than just 4 years ago when Netherlands trounced Brazil too either 3-0 or 5-0, guessing 3-0.

It's the only competition that does it (?) and I get 'they're all so disappointed' so go out and play like you actually enjoy football, no cynacism , the game doesn't matter, total exhibition, no  'we simply must win', just go play and make it a spectacle instead, shackles off

On 20/05/2018 at 04:01, Razzler said:

It's the only competition that does it (?) and I get 'they're all so disappointed' so go out and play like you actually enjoy football, no cynacism , the game doesn't matter, total exhibition, no  'we simply must win', just go play and make it a spectacle instead, shackles off

On 20/05/2018 at 05:25, dafuge said:

The Olympics still has it, although it would be a bit weird if there were no bronze medals.

Copa América has a third place playoff too and so does the African Cup of Nations.

2 hours ago, noikeee said:

It's a slightly weird game but usually fun with lots of good goals. I say keep it.

This 1996 Olympic third place playoff between Brazil and Portugal is a good example of a nice third place playoff full of goals: :)

36 minutes ago, PMLF said:

This 1996 Olympic third place playoff between Brazil and Portugal is a good example of a nice third place playoff full of goals: :)

Feeling funny today are we :D

Actually now that I'm watching that vid I'm staggered Brazil put that good a team into the Olympics. Ronaldo, Bebeto, Roberto Carlos, ****ing hell. :D I certainly didn't remember that Olympics side had such crazy good talent.

Pros for a 3rd place playoff usually benefits the fans more. From my POV, I wouldn't complain to watch another game. And that game would involve 2 good teams - because 9 times out of 10, a team that reaches a World Cup semifinal is a pretty good team.

Cons are for the players involved. Sure, another medal, but it's not the one you came for. It just reminds you of how close it was to getting into the final and you're here playing a match against another team similar in your position. They're probably fatigued after playing the whole month anyways.

Just now, adhikapp said:

Cons are for the players involved. Sure, another medal, but it's not the one you came for. It just reminds you of how close it was to getting into the final and you're here playing a match against another team similar in your position. They're probably fatigued after playing the whole month anyways.

I don't know if it's actually happened, but I always figured the 3rd place playoff was good for players who didn't get much of a chance in the rest of the tournament, especially when you have two #1 goalkeepers like Germany did.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Actually now that I'm watching that vid I'm staggered Brazil put that good a team into the Olympics. Ronaldo, Bebeto, Roberto Carlos, ****ing hell. :D I certainly didn't remember that Olympics side had such crazy good talent.

Only the World Cup matters more to us than the Olympics, so we always have good teams.

As it is, it feels a bit odd - maybe if it's moved to a 3pm kick off on the day of the final at 7.45pm, it could give you a final, single-day overdose of football before the long month before domestic football restarts.

5 hours ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Its pointless but also pretty harmless really, its not really a big deal to me its usually just like a little friendly before the actual final. If it were my team involved after a devastating semi loss though i'm not so sure id be saying the same.

We've been there and we got smashed by Germany there. It's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2018 at 18:01, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm Swedish and the 3rd place in the 94 WC was huge at the time and has taken on fairly epic proportions in the years since. :) 

On 18/05/2018 at 18:00, grff said:

Easy thing to say after you you've lost the match. I'd be surprised if both the team and England fans in general had been a lot more positive towards the 3rd place match if they had won it that time.

Archived