When are Mexico going to get some luck?

Rob1981

Always bossing the diddy CONCACAF teams and qualifying with ease.  Always in the top 15-20 or so in the World rankings.  Always getting through the group stage without anyone really noticing them or calling them contenders.  But they haven't won a knockout game since 1986.  An even worse record than England!  Had absolutely rotten luck with the draws down the years and some dodgy decisions:

1998 - Came through their group unbeaten but then had to play Germany in the R16 and conceded the winning goal five minutes from time.

2002 - Actually won their group but still got paired with their big rivals USA in the R16 rather than an easier opponent elsewhere

2006 - Into the R16 and had to play Argentina and lost to the Rodriguez wonder goal in extra time

2010 - Into the R16 and had to play Argentina (again), lost to a dodgy offside goal

2014 - Into the R16 and had to play Holland, lost to a dodgy stoppage time pen after Robben took a dive

This time if they finish second behind Germany in their group then their second round opponents will probably be Brazil.

Really felt for Ivory Coast as well when they got their "golden generation" together and managed to qualify for their first couple of WCs.  Then they were paired with Argentina and Holland in the groups in 2006 and with Brazil and Portugal in the groups in 2010.  Never even made the knockout round.  But Mexico have got to be the unluckiest with the draws surely?  Always a top team on paper and not been through a knockout round for 32 years :D

That’s the problem with only having a single seeded group, FIFA should bring back the old 4 seeded groups system & be done with the regional pot nonsense.

FIFA have done that already though.  This time Mexico were in Pot 2 based on their FIFA ranking instead of being in with all the tinpot teams.  Still get Germany in the group and (probably) Brazil in the R16 :D

2 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

2006 - Into the R16 and had to play Argentina and lost to the Rodriguez wonder goal in extra time

Hadn't actually realised how unlucky Mexico had been, had some awful draws in the R of 16

But that Rodriguez goal............ bon apetit.

How good were Argentina in that 2006 World Cup though?  What a side.  That was the year they scored the goal against Serbia & Montenegro after a million passes.  Still only made the quarters.

Does anyone in here actually follow Mexican football? The reason I ask is because the world cup e-magazine that @Readingfanman & I are putting together is currently about 74 pages, and Mexico is one of the teams we don't have a contributor for. FWIW it's a charity magazine with all proceeds going here: www.justgiving.com/savethepunter

1 hour ago, paz said:

Does anyone in here actually follow Mexican football? The reason I ask is because the world cup e-magazine that @Readingfanman & I are putting together is currently about 74 pages, and Mexico is one of the teams we don't have a contributor for. FWIW it's a charity magazine with all proceeds going here: www.justgiving.com/savethepunter

I think @deltablue does.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, paz said:

I can vouch for @Bigpapa42 - I believe he does?

On 18/05/2018 at 12:18, danmcconnell1 said:

Hadn't actually realised how unlucky Mexico had been, had some awful draws in the R of 16

But that Rodriguez goal............ bon apetit.

An 18-year old Messi actually scored the winning goal in that game in stoppage time, but got wrongly called off for offside.

50 seconds in. I still reckon that if it wasn't called off, he'd have played against Germany and they'd have beaten them and gone to the semis at least.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, merry_miller said:

Mexico going for the group win :cool:

Brazil v Germany in the round of 16.  So England's quarter final opponent one from Serbia or Switzerland or Mexico.  It's coming home :cool:

Just now, ryan045 said:

How’s that work? What are we basing them off to be sleeping giants?

Population, interest in soccer within the nation, strength of domestic league, performance at youth tournaments, etc.

Just now, ryan045 said:

How’s that work? What are we basing them off to be sleeping giants?

Big population, huge football popularity and their football culture is similar to Brazil and Argentina. They also have a strong domestic league (as good as Brazil and Argentina).

Just now, decapitated said:

Knowing our luck we'll choke against Tunisia :(

4-0 Tunisia

7-1 Panama

Bung the Belguim game to ensure we get in the Mexico half.

Dink the Colombians.. Mexico get waved off. Who is the Semis, dosent matter, penalties.. and the Final, we are unbeaten in Finals, so WINNERS.

Cant believe it tbh, really cant. World Cup Winners in my lifetime.

21 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Population, interest in soccer within the nation, strength of domestic league, performance at youth tournaments, etc.

21 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Big population, huge football popularity and their football culture is similar to Brazil and Argentina. They also have a strong domestic league (as good as Brazil and Argentina).

Valid points. I don’t think population should be a factor though. 

More dark horses than sleeping giants.

They've always been in the competition, usually in the knockout stages, always had enough strength and depth to be competitive in them but never actually done anything on the world stage outside the Olympics and Confederations Cup

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-ger-mex-mexico/mexicans-jubilant-over-world-cup-win-trigger-earthquake-sensors-idUSKBN1JD125?

Mexicans jumping in jubilation on Sunday shook the ground hard enough to set off earthquake detectors and throngs danced in the streets after their team scored a surprise victory over World Cup defending champion Germany

Elated fans waved Mexican flags and donned traditional “sombrero” hats at the iconic Angel of Independence monument in downtown Mexico City as they sang the country’s unofficial soccer anthem, “Cielito Lindo,” or “Pretty Little Sky,” a popular folksong.

In the city’s massive main square, families in Mexican football jerseys had watched on a giant screen in front of a towering cathedral as Mexico beat Germany 1-0 in Moscow.

When star player Hirving Lozano scored a goal in the 35th minute, supporters jumped up and down, shouting, “Yes, we did it!”

The Institute of Geological and Atmospheric Investigations said highly sensitive earthquake sensors registered tremors at two sites in the capital seven seconds after the game’s 35th minute. It called them an “artificial” quake.

Fans on social media celebrated goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa’s performance, circulating memes depicting him as president of Mexico.

Others riffed on U.S. President Donald Trump’s pledge to build a border wall between the United States and Mexico, placing photos of Ochoa guarding the goal alongside the caption “Hey! We already have a wall.”

Another popular meme depicted German Chancellor Angela Merkel holding a phone to her ear with the text: “Donald? It’s me Angela. Please build the wall.”

15 hours ago, PMLF said:

Mexico are sleeping giants, should be as good as Brazil and Argentina.

12 hours ago, decapitated said:

12 hours ago, PMLF said:

Newcastle United are sleeping giants, should be as good as Manchester City and United.

15 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Brazil v Germany in the round of 16.  So England's quarter final opponent one from Serbia or Switzerland or Mexico.  It's coming home :cool:

As soon as we start projecting ahead into the draw ... you know what's coming next :p

12 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Newcastle United are sleeping giants, should be as good as Manchester City and United.

No reason they can't to be honest. In the PL with a club and stadium as big as they are, they could easily be as big as say Spurs, who are as good as United and City over the last 3/4 years. 

Difference is really in the way the clubs are run. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

tbf they've got Brazil but they've still had some luck today.  Lost 3-0 to a pretty mediocre Sweden side yet still get through because of the other result going against the form book.

Would have been hella unlucky to go out with 6 points though.

Archived