Sports Interactive Community
Bliss Seeker

Which players are you most excited about watching?

It's not the same as pre-internet football, where you only really got to watch and discover the world's best players at world cups, but a lot of people still only have a casual interest in football outside their own so will get to discover new heroes this summer. 

Who are you most excited about watching up close and personal?

Who's going to blow up to mega superstardom? 

I'm interested to see how Salah does with Egypt. I reckon they could have a bit of a run.

I am more interested to see how the Brazilian league contingent will do against foreign stars.

My favorite type of player are complete, dynamic midfielders and old school no9s.

no9 role is getting extinct,  most forwards are complete players that contribute in the build up these days.
Icardi probably won't make it, Lewandowski is probably the next closest thing to that role.

As for midfielders, I love players like Nainggolan, Milinković-Savić, Vidal (won't be on WC) and such.
Probably going to see some new names emerge.

Real no10s are also extinct ever since Riquelme basically, maybe some of the complete underdogs have players like that.

Potential for two former Chesterfield players at the World Cup which is absolutely unprecedented.  Wigan midfielder Sam Morsy qualifies for Egypt through his father.  He has made their provisional squad and picked up a few caps in previous friendlies.  Millwall's James Meredith is in the initial squad for Australia, had him on loan for a bit about 10 years ago.

8 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

It's not the same as pre-internet football, where you only really got to watch and discover the world's best players at world cups

Still happens tbf, doubt many people had seen much of James Rodriguez before the last World Cup 

I'm looking forward to Tim Cahill's last hurrah on the international stage.  

Salah and Egypt. The African nations in general actually, I don't watch the AFCON but it seems most of them have exciting forward lines this time around.

Iceland too. :cool:

Salah, Firmino, Coutinho and Trent AA (if he gets a game). Outside of Liverpool, I think Jesus will score loads (assuming he’s a starter for Brazil?) and always Messi and Argentina. 

33 minutes ago, FaceCrusher said:

Shoya Nakajima and Falcao, finally playing in a WC.

Looks like Nakajima didn't make the final squad after all, despite earlier reports from his club that he would go. :(

13 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Salah, Firmino, Coutinho and Trent AA (if he gets a game). Outside of Liverpool, I think Jesus will score loads (assuming he’s a starter for Brazil?) and always Messi and Argentina. 

Yes, Gabriel Jesus starts for Brazil, while Firmino is just a bench warmer as he is not as good for the national team as he is for Liverpool.

8 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Yes, Gabriel Jesus starts for Brazil, while Firmino is just a bench warmer as he is not as good for the national team as he is for Liverpool.

I get the feeling he wouldn’t be great anywhere else, which is strange. Just a great fit for LFC.

1 minute ago, martplfc1 said:

I get the feeling he wouldn’t be great anywhere else, which is strange. Just a great fit for LFC.

He was great in the Bundesliga, wasn't he ?

He does fit Liverpool very well though.

8 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

My favorite type of player are complete, dynamic midfielders and old school no9s.

no9 role is getting extinct,  most forwards are complete players that contribute in the build up these days.
Icardi probably won't make it, Lewandowski is probably the next closest thing to that role.

As for midfielders, I love players like Nainggolan, Milinković-Savić, Vidal (won't be on WC) and such.

Real no10s are also extinct ever since Riquelme basically, maybe some of the complete underdogs have players like that.

saw him in the u20 world cup a few years ago he along with their GK-Predrag Rajković  RW-    Andrija Živković

looked superb he has developed into a very good player I dont know how the other 2 are doing tho

the no.9 role as you say I really enjoyed that type of player more or less gone now without 2 up top sure they will come back into fashion tho

it will be a shame if Icardi doesnt make the squad(it is the 1 position argentina are stacked with options though) havent checked to see if he is in

Edited by kingrobbo

Ruben Neves. Hope he blasts in a couple 30 yarders :cool: You should all be excited about watching him.

7 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Ruben Neves. Hope he blasts in a couple 30 yarders :cool: You should all be excited about watching him.

He's not in the squad

Seeing how Belgium do in particular. They've had a complete squad the last two tournaments but they really don't play like a team filled with world class players. This year KDB, Lukaku, Hazard should be tearing teams apart..  here's hoping :thup:

also looking forward to seeing what Gabby Jesus can do. Reckon he has a great shout for top scorer. 

On 19/05/2018 at 12:09, Pukey said:

He's not in the squad

I've got mixed feelings about neves missing out on the squad tbh. on the one hand I was looking forward to seeing how he'd perform on this stage, but from a selfish club-first point of view, it most likely means he won't be on the radar of as many clubs trying to lure him away from us

On 19/05/2018 at 14:50, JDownie said:

Seeing how Belgium do in particular. They've had a complete squad the last two tournaments but they really don't play like a team filled with world class players. This year KDB, Lukaku, Hazard should be tearing teams apart..  here's hoping :thup:

also looking forward to seeing what Gabby Jesus can do. Reckon he has a great shout for top scorer. 

**** me. Imagine how smug Henry would be on Sky Sports if him and Martinez won the World Cup for Belgium :D Such a weird duo and combination. Always quite liked Martinez tbf (and Henry obviously...)

2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

**** me. Imagine how smug Henry would be on Sky Sports if him and Martinez won the World Cup for Belgium :D Such a weird duo and combination. Always quite liked Martinez tbf (and Henry obviously...)

:lol:

Imagine he did, would make the decision to choose Arteta over Henry interesting, especially if Arteta turned out to be a total failure  (Would they go for Henry then?). 

On 18/05/2018 at 17:24, GunmaN1905 said:

Nainggolan apparantly isn't going.

I was excited about watching Mbappe continue his regeneration into original Ronaldo mrk2, but heard he's been poor for PSG this season. 

Still, he's one the players I'm interested in watching. 

On 18/05/2018 at 16:24, Rob1981 said:

Potential for two former Chesterfield players at the World Cup which is absolutely unprecedented.  Wigan midfielder Sam Morsy qualifies for Egypt through his father.  He has made their provisional squad and picked up a few caps in previous friendlies.  

Morsy has made the starting lineup for tonight’s friendly against Colombia. Still waiting to see if he makes the final cut but a starting place tonight has got to be a good sign.

+1 for Mbappe. France as enigmatic as ever. So much quality everywhere except at fullback, unless Mendy is actually fit. 

Not English, but really interested in what Southgate could do with England.

Four years ago, no one would've predicted England would even have either Pickford, Pope, or Butland in goal. Or have players like Maguire, Trippier, Alli, Lingard, Vardy, or Kane in the team, especially the latter being captain. Or have Ashley Young somehow come back into the team. I bet even Trent and Rashford themselves didn't think they'd break their respective club's first teams by now, let alone the national side. You ask English people who they would think might play in 2018 four years ago, they'll drop names like Flanagan, Shaw, Wilshere, and Barkley. The regeneration of players is insane from an outsiders view.

So apart from the obvious wonderkids like Mbappe and Werner, I'm excited to see what Southgate's England team can bring, I can tell you one thing, if Allardyce was still in charge, it would be a totally different 23 man squad and probably won't end up too different from Hodgson's era.

Another for Mbappe here.

It's easy to forget the guy is still a teenager but just such a player! So quick, can dribble just as quick with the ball, movement amazing and finishing very good and improving all the time. Fancy this to the be tournament where a lot of people who just view him as "OTT PSG signing for a guy that hasn't done much yet" changing the view to "This guy is the the real deal". 

Especially when sides they come up against will possibly focus a bit more on the already established stars of Grizemann/Pogba giving him a bit more room.

On 18/05/2018 at 12:16, PMLF said:

I am more interested to see how the Brazilian league contingent will do against foreign stars.

De Arrascaeta (Cruzeiro, Uruguay National Team) is one to watch.

Looking forward to seeing players who are playing outside of the PL. Mbappe is a player I like quite a lot aswel. 

It should be interesting to see who performs the best out of Messi and Ronaldo. Probably there last WC at peak level. If any of them can lift the trophy that’ll confirm them as the greatest ever.

Edited by ryan045

19 hours ago, PMLF said:

De Arrascaeta (Cruzeiro, Uruguay National Team) is one to watch.

We (Wolves) were linked to him, good you reckon?

6 hours ago, sc91 said:

We (Wolves) were linked to him, good you reckon?

Yes, he is very good, has good technique, dribbling, passing, vision, is pretty versatile too.

Players like Pavón who play in South America and we don't get to watch often, are definitely a good shout.

On a slightly different note, Karol Linetty of Poland. Currently playing for Sampdoria and is one of my favourite players on FM, would like to see him do well at the WC. Not even sure if he'll start for Poland having no real idea about them, but they have some talented players in other positions too, so they could do well I think. 

Just a shame Kamil Glik is out. He'll be a huge miss for Poland. 

6 hours ago, Nordan said:

Messi, Mbappe, Neymar, Eriksen to name a few.

I don't quite get this. I mean, you can watch these players every week pretty much.

I thought this thread was about players that most people on here don't get to see much/at all. 

Maybe a young player you've seen on FM etc?

1 hour ago, craigcwwe said:

I thought this thread was about players that most people on here don't get to see much/at all. 

My apologies. :)

I find it hard to get excited about players I haven't seen (much) or know about, but you have a point. I'm excited about most of the nations though.

Interested in seeing Milinkovic-Savic on the big stage. Has been brilliant for Lazio and you imagine the big clubs will be queuing up for him. Especially if he makes a name on the big stage too.

I love to see true goal scorers top the charts at a WC... interesting to see if anyone can be the next Klose, Ronaldo or Pele (that can do it consistently over 3/4 WCs). Not many top class young players though, perhaps gone are the times where a 17/18 year old can take the big stage by storm.

I'd quite like to see Thomas Muller threaten the record holders.

Also looking forward to seeing Messi & France/Brazil in general

Easy to say now after the fact, but Golovin is looking fairly useful.. think he'll raise his profile a bit.