Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Russell10

World Cup Underdogs

Recommended Posts

Always one team who exceed expections, 

 

I am tipping Senegal to reach the quarter final this year, think they have the players to do well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think a lot of people are looking at Uruguay. World class line. Solid centre back pairing and promising youg midfielders.

I wanna know who the hipsters tip is this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Think a lot of people are looking at Uruguay. World class line. Solid centre back pairing and promising youg midfielders.

I wanna know who the hipsters tip is this year. 

Play Portugal or Spain in the 2nd round though!

I would fancy them to beat Portugal right enough..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Peru, when it comes to South American teams.

They won't have Guerrero but they have a pretty decent team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skybluedave said:

I wanna know who the hipsters tip is this year. 

A true hipster is only interested in that non-FIFA World Cup Heartwork is blathering on about every thread he can bring it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they'll win it but I think Egypt could get to the Quarter Finals. You'd fancy them to get through that group as even on home soil I don't think Russia are up to much. Can't see them beating Spain but if they get Portugal I could see them beating them and getting through. I fancy Nigeria to get through their group and I think they could get to the Quarter Finals too. I can also see Japan getting to the Quarter Finals, certainly out of their group and I think they can get past either England or Belgium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are the African nations doing in general?  Don't really know who's hot and who's not over there these days. 

I had high hopes of Ivory Coast and Ghana a few years back, but seems like their moment seems to have passed for now.  Are Egypt any good then?  Apart from Salah and Eleny, who's their main players? 

 

Been a long time since that famous Pele quote! 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went for no major shocks in the predictor but I did think Egypt, Iceland, Peru and Senegal would escape their groups while Croatia and Colombia don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colombia, if they top their group then potentially could face England in the KO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, skybluedave said:

I wanna know who the hipsters tip is this year. 

We're all about Panama mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the first major tournament where Belgium aren't considered an underdog anymore? Think they've finally transitioned to a major footballing nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're basically England circa 2002-2008. Load of great players but don't seem like that much of a team. Be amazed if they get past the Quarter Finals. Would be cool to see if they did though, certainly got the players to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

They're basically England circa 2002-2008. Load of great players but don't seem like that much of a team. Be amazed if they get past the Quarter Finals. Would be cool to see if they did though, certainly got the players to do it. 

Sums it up nicely that.

Edited by Jakarooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think there's a pretty decent possibility of an Egypt v Morocco second round game which would be incredible. It's a bit of a shame how the groups have worked out though as you'd back Morocco, Nigeria and Senegal to definitely get out of Egypt's group and maybe Tunisia's too but the two weakest sides have got the nicest groups. Then again I always overrate the African sides so they'll probably all go out at the first hurdle now :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

How are the African nations doing in general?  Don't really know who's hot and who's not over there these days. 

I had high hopes of Ivory Coast and Ghana a few years back, but seems like their moment seems to have passed for now.  Are Egypt any good then?  Apart from Salah and Eleny, who's their main players? 

 

Been a long time since that famous Pele quote! 

Hossam Hassan

Edited by bestbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iran are really solid. They went through the qualifiers by conceding 5 goals in 18 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DB08 said:

Iran are really solid. They went through the qualifiers by conceding 5 goals in 18 games.

Typical Carlos Queiróz.

I suspect they may give Portugal a hard time if Ronaldo is not inspired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

Iran could cause some nasty upsets. Their defense is really good.

I suppose their campaign will be something like:

0-0 or 1-0 vs Morocco
0-2 vs Spain
1-2 vs Portugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see Iran getting more respect than 4 years ago. Without evidently knowing their style of play and record, everyone assumed Iran were gonna lose '6-0' to Argentina when the smart money was on 1-0 or 2-0. Then they seemingly won everyone over nearly getting 0-0 (and should've had a penalty as well).

It's a nasty group though. Have to hope that all the teams' fancy play is undone by solid Iranian defending and underestimation. Hoping Ronaldo has a proper sprain, is somewhat unfit and plays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main "underdog" tips will be Morocco, Egypt & Senegal. All favoured to not qualify from their groups, think all three can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2018 at 03:11, git2thachoppa said:

Hoping Ronaldo has a proper sprain, is somewhat unfit and plays.

Classy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, noikeee said:

Classy.

Why would I want Ronaldo to be fully fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Why would I want Ronaldo to be fully fit?

Gee, I dunno, so that we get to watch the world's best players at their best in an unique competition that only happens every 4 years?

I don't go around wishing Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, Muller, Pogba, Hazard, Kane etc all get injured so we have a better chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, noikeee said:

Gee, I dunno, so that we get to watch the world's best players at their best in an unique competition that only happens every 4 years?

I don't go around wishing Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, Muller, Pogba, Hazard, Kane etc all get injured so we have a better chance. 

He can play the other 2 matches you know.

What fan of any underdog would want the star player of their opposition to play against them, and not against the other group teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...