World Cup Underdogs

Russell10

57 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Think a lot of people are looking at Uruguay. World class line. Solid centre back pairing and promising youg midfielders.

I wanna know who the hipsters tip is this year. 

Play Portugal or Spain in the 2nd round though!

I would fancy them to beat Portugal right enough..

I don't think they'll win it but I think Egypt could get to the Quarter Finals. You'd fancy them to get through that group as even on home soil I don't think Russia are up to much. Can't see them beating Spain but if they get Portugal I could see them beating them and getting through. I fancy Nigeria to get through their group and I think they could get to the Quarter Finals too. I can also see Japan getting to the Quarter Finals, certainly out of their group and I think they can get past either England or Belgium. 

How are the African nations doing in general?  Don't really know who's hot and who's not over there these days. 

I had high hopes of Ivory Coast and Ghana a few years back, but seems like their moment seems to have passed for now.  Are Egypt any good then?  Apart from Salah and Eleny, who's their main players? 

Been a long time since that famous Pele quote! 

23 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

They're basically England circa 2002-2008. Load of great players but don't seem like that much of a team. Be amazed if they get past the Quarter Finals. Would be cool to see if they did though, certainly got the players to do it. 

Sums it up nicely that.

Think there's a pretty decent possibility of an Egypt v Morocco second round game which would be incredible. It's a bit of a shame how the groups have worked out though as you'd back Morocco, Nigeria and Senegal to definitely get out of Egypt's group and maybe Tunisia's too but the two weakest sides have got the nicest groups. Then again I always overrate the African sides so they'll probably all go out at the first hurdle now :D 

9 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

How are the African nations doing in general?  Don't really know who's hot and who's not over there these days. 

I had high hopes of Ivory Coast and Ghana a few years back, but seems like their moment seems to have passed for now.  Are Egypt any good then?  Apart from Salah and Eleny, who's their main players? 

Been a long time since that famous Pele quote! 

Hossam Hassan

8 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

Iran could cause some nasty upsets. Their defense is really good.

I suppose their campaign will be something like:

0-0 or 1-0 vs Morocco
0-2 vs Spain
1-2 vs Portugal

Nice to see Iran getting more respect than 4 years ago. Without evidently knowing their style of play and record, everyone assumed Iran were gonna lose '6-0' to Argentina when the smart money was on 1-0 or 2-0. Then they seemingly won everyone over nearly getting 0-0 (and should've had a penalty as well).

It's a nasty group though. Have to hope that all the teams' fancy play is undone by solid Iranian defending and underestimation. Hoping Ronaldo has a proper sprain, is somewhat unfit and plays.

3 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Why would I want Ronaldo to be fully fit?

Gee, I dunno, so that we get to watch the world's best players at their best in an unique competition that only happens every 4 years?

I don't go around wishing Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, Muller, Pogba, Hazard, Kane etc all get injured so we have a better chance. 

Just now, noikeee said:

Gee, I dunno, so that we get to watch the world's best players at their best in an unique competition that only happens every 4 years?

I don't go around wishing Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, Muller, Pogba, Hazard, Kane etc all get injured so we have a better chance. 

He can play the other 2 matches you know.

What fan of any underdog would want the star player of their opposition to play against them, and not against the other group teams?

Archived