Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew_Goats_Gruff

Need advice, most important tips to succeeding

Hi, i’m awful at FM and it puts me off playing the game, I have decemt games but more so i’m terrible. 

Just finished 17th with Norwich 1st season, then lost opening 4 next season then quit, using unsackable.

I do tactics and use basic mentallity.

Someone who is good at FM, please tell me your top tips on how to be good, YouTube is useless for me. What makes you succeed.

Personally I try to build a team around the players I've got and look to play to their strengths. Also I'll try to, certainly at the start, not over-complicate tactics. 

Having a quick look at Norwich for instance, they're a fairly strong side for the Championship in terms of their reputation and pre-season predictions. Against teams I'm considerably stronger than at home I'd look to control the game. Against similar teams or when playing away I'd look for a more balanced setup. 

With both I wouldn't expect them to be mentally or tactically aware enough to go above say a balanced mentality. This may increase to 'Fluid' when I'm trying to control the game a bit more and when my team is a bit more familiar with my tactical setup. 

The best striker is Oliveira, but he's not big enough to be a target man in the Championship and not really good enough to be a Complete Forward, so would probably use him as either an advanced or if I'm away a defensive forward with Hoolahan playing behind him. They have a strong midfield, so I'd likely go with a 4-2-3-1 (Two CM's and a AML, AMC, AMR) at home or when I'm controlling matches. That way I can have the steel of Tettey in the middle with Maddison playmaking from deep. Then in closer matches I'd drop back into a 4-4-1-1 with the two wider players a bit deeper. I personally don't like leaving a gap between DM's and AMC's, so will always use CM's to make sure we have some strength in the middle. 

Don't feel like you always have to play a player in their 'best' role - pick what suits the system. You have pace wide with Hernandez and Murphy so exploit it a bit more by playing wider at home. 

And at the back, keep it simple. You don't really have the players to play out from the back, so rely a bit more on getting it out quicker and winning the second balls in midfield. And don't be afraid to change things during a match. Don't think that suddenly changing from Standard to Overload or Control to Defensive will suddenly make you go all out attack or defending deep. Use the team instructions and player roles to make sure you have the right setup.

When I'm trying to close out a game, full backs come onto Defend with the CB's, CM's are Defend or Support and wide players become wide-midfielders as wingers can often lose defensive shape. Striker always defensive forward too. Drop a bit deeper, go balanced or slightly narrow and waste time. But don't do it too early! :D 

I change tactics through out depending on match stats, normally from mentality to mentality, i was using 4231 wide control at home and counter away, was 10 games unbeaten then lost 2 at home in row v relegation sides, put agressive angry both times and never found form again lol. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

When I'm trying to close out a game, full backs come onto Defend with the CB's, CM's are Defend or Support and wide players become wide-midfielders as wingers can often lose defensive shape. Striker always defensive forward to. Drop a bit deeper, go balanced or slightly narrow and waste time. But don't do it too early! :D 

Yeah so simple things. There seems an alarming trend that for some reason, even after playing years, people don't get how the roles /duties are inherently connected to (forward) movement. Either that or they don't understand that: More people behind the ball = less people caught out of their position when an attack breaks down (which happens most of the time as that's football DNA: dozens of attempts per match, hundreds of attacks, most don't lead anywhere and then the ball is with the opposition). At which point that is a bit tougher. Still maybe the UI could introduce arrows or something like that to show. There is naturally also the "problem" that the text description of the mentalities implies simply changing mentality would do any of the above. E.g. if you go defensive, everybody would just sit behind the ball.

Edited by Svenc

44 minutes ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

I change tactics through out depending on match stats, normally from mentality to mentality, i was using 4231 wide control at home and counter away, was 10 games unbeaten then lost 2 at home in row v relegation sides, put agressive angry both times and never found form again lol. 

Whilst team talks only have a small effect on morale, when a team is riding high and suffers a setback it can sometimes be difficult to work it round. I fear your reaction on top of what would have been a fragile environment would have definitely put the team into a bit of a tailspin. In those types of situations individual conversations, team meetings and even playing what appears to be weaker players with higher morale can help turn a team in a rut around somewhat. The key of course is winning games.

Morale will slowly drift back to the middle (Okay) even from Superb or Very Poor day by day. So morale won't always stay in the same place. Obviously if you keep winning games (or losing them) the morale will stay more in that area. But if momentum is stopped, say by a mid-season break or a large gap without a fixture do bear in mind your players morale before the next match. 

9 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Yeah so simple things. There seems an alarming trend that for some reason, even after playing years, people don't get how the roles /duties are inherently connected to (forward) movement. Either that or they don't understand that: More people behind the ball = less people caught out of possession when an attack breaks down (which happens most of the time). At which point..... no hope. Still maybe the UI could introduce arrows or something like that to show. There is naturally also the "problem" that the text description of the mentalities implies simply changing mentality would do any of the above. E.g. if you go defensive, everybody would just sit behind the ball.

I think one of the hardest things we've found over the years with FM developing as much as it has, is trying to make things clearer to the user that aren't necessarily easy to explain. There has been a little bit of reliance on assumed knowledge, which for a new player or someone who doesn't necessarily know the game or football well can prove a massive obstacle. Hopefully this is something we can look to improve as time goes on. 

Player roles baffle me and i’m fa level 2 and youth award module 2, so as a new user i’d be even worse than what I am, for example. In real life, wingers/inside forwards can work as one, on fm it’s one or the other. Ball winning midfielder, basically holding midfielder high up or deep, ayoze perez on the game is a natural playmaker, in real life his more of a second striker. As a new player, i’d be baffled, i’ve always played fm, I put my formation, then look at players, then buy if necessary, training I cba with, then i just play and continue ensuring players are getting match sharp. In real life you wouldn’t tell kante what to do, or robben. It’s their preferred moves in reality. Striker options are confusing, I play a poacher, he tries taking on how many players, lol. Same as goalies in real life. Sweeper gk is preferred moves, u pick tactics to help him achieve this while using your formation and mentality, sorry if i seem ******** but i wana enjoy playing fm

8 hours ago, Andrew_Goats_Gruff said:

Player roles baffle me and i’m fa level 2 and youth award module 2, so as a new user i’d be even worse than what I am, for example.

The formation you pick is (roughly) the team's defensive shape. How your team lines up when it attacks is largely down to the roles and duties. Once you are down to that, you shouldn't have a problem. We had that more recent in another thread where you posted to not focus on the roles. They are THE thing to focus on in terms of tactics in this game. If you're not down to that, you randomize your results all over the shop. Simplified: Defend duties mean players hold their position as outlined on the tactics screen rather than making (forward) runs in possession. Support players push up to support. Attack duty players push ahead. There's exceptions, but that's generally it.

Here it's some visualized what would happen if you told everybody to "hold their position". The team would just move forward en bloc. So you would never have any kind of movement between your lines/strata in possession. Apparently not everybody is aware of that, and how "simple" this really is at the core in-game. If you can't grasp the roles/duties in basic terms, you will never get to grips with this. Or you should give it to the ass man, as he has it sussed in basic terms. It's that simple. Robben in-game btw has traits in his profile (cuts inside). No matter what role you may give him, sometimes he cuts inside even if you doN't field him as an "inside forward". There's no need to get all riled up over any kind of limitations, as they apply to AI too.

Edited by Svenc

I want to be able to be man city and atleast try and win the league, i was 7th with them at one point on fm 17 or 18, i’m literally THAT bad, I have one good save on every fm, by pure luck

Given your stance on roles and duties, I'm not surprised. Everything you do is simply down to luck, as you can't manage matches and results. It's akin to a football manager who: A has no influence whatsoever if a) his team pushes every single player forward -- perpaps in an attempt to grab a late equalizer, if b) his team balances things out, perhaps to not risk too much or if c) a number of his players just stay back in their position rather than committing forward  -- perhaps in an attempt to just see out the remainder of a game. AI does switch this all the time, as would your ass man if you let him take over. The solutions for this problem specifically are to be found in the tactics forum. Anyway, roles and duties are THE thing to focus on tactically.

Edited by Svenc