Sports Interactive Community
oche balboa

England's World Cup 23

Players all get along ... now and then after we bomb out we hear about how they all hate each other.

They used to always say this in the Sven era and now Rio is talking about club cliques and stuff.

I don't want to hear anything that any of them have to say, just go freaking play the damn games and stop talking.

How many 'we know what to do' - 'we made made mistakes' - 'we will learn from past failures' have we heard in the last two decades, nothing changes, show us on the pitch!

No chance now. Too close to the tournament probably, though obviously i'd like him to get a cap.

Why are we trying keepers still, I hope he has his starting keeper in mind, ffs, we don't need to go into the tournament not knowing who is number 1, it's ridiculous, this is Capello levels of silliness

I'm certain that Southgate knows who will be no.1 for the WC (Pickford) but he doesn't want to come out and say it for whatever reason he has.

But he definitely knows. 

Especially given Pickford’s lack of experience with England you’d like to think they were actually working on stuff together in training. You know, first choice keeper actually practising with first choice defenders instead of Southgate keeping them all guessing.

But then maybe that doesn’t matter these days, as long as there are no club cliques and everyone’s everyone’s mate and they all know where to sit for dinner.

27 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Especially given Pickford’s lack of experience with England you’d like to think they were actually working on stuff together in training. You know, first choice keeper actually practising with first choice defenders instead of Southgate keeping them all guessing.

But then maybe that doesn’t matter these days, as long as there are no club cliques and everyone’s everyone’s mate and they all know where to sit for dinner.

My understanding is you constantly rotate that stuff in training so that the players can swap when tiredness/injuries/suspensions come into play and not be all "UGH I'VE ONLY TRAINED IN FRONT OF BUTLAND! I CAN'T UNDERSTAND PICKFORD'S ACCENT"

52 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Maybe Southgate knows a little more about this than you do?

1 hour ago, Razzler said:

Why are we trying keepers still, I hope he has his starting keeper in mind, ffs, we don't need to go into the tournament not knowing who is number 1, it's ridiculous, this is Capello levels of silliness

tbf I'd rather not know who the keeper is but know it's not Hart, than know who the keeper is and know it's Hart.....

Hope it's Butland. Pickford doesn't fill me with confidence.

1 hour ago, Crispypaul said:

Maybe Southgate knows a little more about this than you do?

Bookmarking this for when we lose 2-0 to Panama and Pickford and Maguire crash into each other like Alan Hansen and his mate at Mexico 86.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Bookmarking this for when we lose 2-0 to Panama and Pickford and Maguire crash into each other like Alan Hansen and his mate at Mexico 86.

Alan Hansen didn't play in Mexico 86.

Spain 82 then, whenever it was that he and Willie Miller crashed into each other trying to clear the same ball. Both ended up on their arses while the USSR player walked through to score.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44391862

Eric Dier and Jordan Henderson will be competing for one midfield place in England's starting XI at the World Cup, says manager Gareth Southgate.

Both have captained the Three Lions, with Tottenham's Dier starting 12 of Southgate's 16 games in charge and Liverpool's Henderson starting nine.

Dier played in Saturday's friendly win over Nigeria, while Henderson will start against Costa Rica on Thursday.

"I think we will only want to play with one 'pivot'," said Southgate.

"I would be amazed if the two of them are not important figures for us during the tournament, but there is clearly the possibility they might not both play in every match.

"It is a key decision, but that is management, isn't it? You either select players, or you choose your system and pick the best people to fit into it. They are the tough calls."

Southgate has preferred to play a system with three central defenders, two wing-backs, a holding midfielder, three attacking midfielders and a lone striker.

hat means captain Harry Kane is most likely to start up front on his own, with Manchester City's Raheem Sterling playing closest to the Tottenham striker, leaving Leicester's Jamie Vardy on the bench.

Southgate added: "We have looked at it in training [Kane with Vardy] and at the moment we have not gone with it. We have had Harry with Raheem - we liked the look of that."

The friendly at Elland Road in Leeds is the last before the Three Lions head to Russia.

Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland will start and Liverpool full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold will be given his international debut.

England begin their World Cup campaign against Tunisia in Volgograd on 18 June, with further Group G matches against Panama and Belgium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44383950

England have less chance of winning the Fifa World Cup than Peru, according to sports data company Gracenote.

The Peruvians who are ranked 11th in the world - two places ahead of England - have been given a 5% chance of lifting the trophy in Moscow on 15 July, while Gareth Southgate's side have a 4% chance, the same as Belgium and Portugal.

Five-time champions Brazil are favourites with a 21% chance of winning the tournament, ahead of Spain, Germany and Argentina.

England face Tunisia, Panama and Belgium in Group G and they have a 71% chance of reaching the knock-out rounds.

That calculation is based on one million simulations of the World Cup run by Gracenote, with points awarded for each match based on the probability of a win/draw/defeat based on the ranking of each side.

If they qualify from Group G, England will face either Poland, Senegal, Colombia or Japan from Group H in the last 16 and are predicted to have a 41% chance of progressing.

But their odds tumble in the quarter-finals - where they could face the likes of Germany or Brazil - with an 18% chance of reaching the semis and 9% chance of making the final.

What about the rest?
There is a 47% chance of a first-time winner, so someone other than Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Spain, England or Uruguay
Latin American and European teams will dominate, with 10 of the last 16 being from Europe, five from South America and one from Central America
African side Senegal, in Group H, have a 45% chance of breaking the mould and qualifying for the last 16
Peru, who are playing at the World Cup for the first time since 1982, are tipped to be this tournament's surprise packages with a 22% chance to be in the final four
Colombia have a 21% chance of reaching the semis
Chances of reaching the knockout stages
Group A: Uruguay 77%, Russia 60%, Egypt 36%, Saudi Arabia 27%
Group B: Spain 76%, Portugal 58%, Iran 35%, Morocco 30%
Group C: France 69%, Peru 68%, Denmark 35%, Australia 27%
Group D: Argentina 82%, Croatia 57%, Iceland 35%, Nigeria 27%
Group E: Brazil 90%, Switzerland 51%, Serbia 31%, Costa Rica 28%
Group F: Germany 79%, Mexico 60%, Sweden 34%, South Korea 27%
Group G: England 71%, Belgium 71%, Tunisia 32%, Panama 26%
Group H: Colombia 77%, Poland 50%, Senegal 45%, Japan 29%

47% chance of a first time winner sounds unlikely

1 hour ago, Crispypaul said:

47% chance of a first time winner sounds unlikely

Agreed. I could see a 47 percent chance of a team outside of Germany, Spain, Brazil and France winning it - but obviously Argentina, England and Uruguay have already won it. So it only really leaves Portugal, Belgium and Colombia as viable candidates for a shock dark horse win. 

Rash full of confidence after a few weeks away from Jose :) 

TAA has to start over Tripper. He does everything he can do and gives us a threat from set pieces. 

Pickford

Walker

Stones

Maguire

TAA

Rose

Henderson

Alli

Lingard

Sterling

Kane

Easy.

16 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

TAA has to start over Tripper. He does everything he can do and gives us a threat from set pieces. 

What? :D Trippier is the better player.

Really impressed with Delph last night, could be this year's answer to 2002 Nicky Butt.  Just quietly sitting in there and breaking things up without anyone really noticing, until you cut back to the highlights reel and realise he's cut out about 10 opposition chances.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Really impressed with Delph last night, could be this year's answer to 2002 Nicky Butt.  Just quietly sitting in there and breaking things up without anyone really noticing, until you cut back to the highlights reel and realise he's cut out about 10 opposition chances.

Top player.

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

What? :D Trippier is the better player.

I have a thing for TAA.  Think he might just be the best player to come out of England since Rooney.  I want him to play every game. 

Trippier is indeed very good, mind.  Just want to see more of Terence! 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Bought the Sun today because it had a wallchart, they are claiming an “exclusive” on England’s lineup for next Monday against Tunisia:

pickford

Walker, stones, Maguire

trippier, Henderson, rose

lingard, Sterling, alli

Kane

no massive surprises really but Rose getting the nod over Young if true, and Maguire keeping Jones/Cahill out. Rashford still the impact sub and not in the starting XI.

Flipside, Sterling and Lingard haven't shown yet why they shouldn't start. 

Only get Rashford in if you play him over Alli, and have Lingard deeper, but it doesn't get the best out of him so pointless move.

On 09/06/2018 at 18:55, Jakarooney said:

Rashford showed why he needs to start.

No he bloody didn't! He showed why he isn't ready. One superb moment, followed by another 50 minutes of show boating and losing the ball constantly. 

He showed exactly why he isn't ready. 

All the talent, probably the best shot in the squad, but an immature football brain that needs moulding and training. 

Would be an awesome sub though 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

Genuinely didn't realise Rashford was still on the pitch when he got MOM the other night, though he'd been subbed ages before.

7 hours ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Cheers Robbie, was actually trying to find this very clip a few days back :)

I need to buy me a 96 grey England shirt. 

Expecting big things for us this tournament. Im confident we can get to at least the quarters or semis or maybe a final. 

We will roll over the Panamanian & Tunisian farmers. Take a draw vs Belgium and that’s us through. Southgate takes us to knockouts. 

From here on who’s to say we can’t carry on our form. Colombia or Senegal will stand in our way. For me no issues, both lack the quality in defence and GK to stop us from scoring. We go through with a 3-1 win.

Onto the quarters, potentially a Brazil side which is still suffering from the trauma of the 7-1 beating from Germany. Kane scores in a 1-0 win. The country believes again.

Semi finals see us face Spain, yes a good side on paper but without the threat of pace in behind we keep them at bay. Southgate plays a blinder and gets Sterling to finally turn his club form into international. He scores both times in a 2-1 win.

Onto the final in which we face Germany, the games cagey. Too much to lose for both sides. We are approaching the 119th minute and Muller breaks our hearts. The German poacher takes advantage of a Phil Jones error to see them lift the World Cup.

All sounded pretty far fetched until I got to the Phil Jones error.

At work we did a predictor. I've us drawing 2-2 with Tunisia in a dour opener. Bounce back beating Panama and then beating Belgium in a pressure decider. That's when the belief turns around. We spank Poland 5-1 in 2nd round. Shock Brazil 4-2 in the quarters. Can't remember the Semi. Beat Spain on penalties in the final. 

5 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Shock Brazil 4-2 in the quarters. Can't remember the Semi. Beat Spain on penalties in the final. 

You were doing so well until this.

18 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Guess that saves us all watching over the next few weeks.

If that doesn't happen though mate - please don't let it ruin your life :D 

I can’t promise anything Darren. I might need to take some time off if things don’t go to plan. Let’s hope Gareth and the lads can do us proud.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/injury-scare-for-marcus-rashford-9wvqtp2b7

Marcus Rashford has given England their first scare of the World Cup after arriving in Russia with a knee injury that he suffered in training.

Gareth Southgate, the England manager, described the injury as a “slight knock”, but it is serious enough for the 20-year-old striker to be assessed this morning before a decision is taken on whether he can feature in an open training session in Repino.

Rashford was hurt in a practice match at St George’s Park on Monday. The setback comes after he staked his claim to start the opening group G game against Tunisia with a stunning goal, and an effervescent performance, in the 2-0 victory over Costa Rica last Thursday.

His impact served as a reminder of his talent and even if he does not make Monday’s starting line-up for the match in Volgograd, he is primed to play an important role over the coming weeks.

One man who looks certain to start is Kyle Walker, who has insisted that he would rather be used at right back than as one of three centre halves, which is where Southgate is set to pick him.

“I want to play right back,” he said. “I’ve worked my whole life to get to where I am now in a World Cup, and to showcase my talent on the World Cup stage, playing in my position.”

The England squad arrived yesterday at their base camp at the Forrestmix Club in Repino, a low-key setting less than an hour’s drive from St Petersburg.

Southgate’s players have been given in-depth advice over cyberattacks and other security issues, which extend to where to hide personal items in their hotel rooms. The threat of hacking has been taken so seriously that Southgate’s squad have been lectured by GCHQ with an emphasis on cybersecurity.

Players taking multiple devices, such as iPads, have had them screened by staff from GCHQ’s National Cyber Security Centre and extra software has been added that will only be deleted when they return home from Russia.

I'd prefer Walker as a full/wing back too, I think he's a major threat. I don't mind that, if needed, he can drop into a back 3 and Trippier can play but it kind of reeks of Southgate not being 100% on his actual centre backs. I want Walker getting up and down.

Don't know the state of Rose but I'd start him first game and then Young against Panana where his diving skills will come in usual when they kick us :brock: 

Walker is playing RCB because Southgate wants him to drive into the middle and he has the pace and stamina to do so. 

Can’t drive into it if the CM in front ends up being a womble and stands in that area blocking the space. He’ll be good there, but it’s in no way getting the absolute best out of him, especially when it comes to the big boys, you want him to cause more pace and havoc further forward.

Might be alone in this (and probably wrong anyway) but could see Southgate using Walker at RCB in games where teams will likely sit back and wait for England to break them down when 3 out and out CB's will be not needed. Then when they come up against the bigger sides they'll bring in a Cahill (for eg) and Walker moves to wing back. 

With Walker at RCB it changes us into a back 4 almost. Trip pier becomes the free man down the right side. I’m not sure how effective that will be though.

I like the fact that Southgate is trying to get a formation and tactics that suits, rather than pandering to the players and putting them in where they want or picking them on reputation.

I hope he continues to be England manager for a good while, regardless of results in this tournament.