England's World Cup 23

oche balboa

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love to see Leon Bailey named in the squad just for Blue Lou's reaction after the couple of threads he started about how he isn't illegible.

Bailey's just posted an instagram picture with the caption 'humble lion'. Whether he has timed his post for maximum attention or not - it's certainly fueling speculation now.

ENGLAND SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Butland, Pickford, Pope

Defenders: Walker, Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Maguire, Young, Rose

Midfielders: Dier, Delph, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Alli, Sterling 

Forwards: Kane, Rashford, Vardy, Welbeck

In this era of wingbacks and wide forwards, someone needs to decide to just ditch the defender, midfield and striker breakdowns.

Delph and Dier midfielders but Young's a defender...

Rashford's a forward but Ali, Lingard and Sterling are midfielders?

5 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Key part of a CL final side, why wouldn't he go?

only 6 months ago he started and we knew he was defensively neave. Every time a big time has targeted him they have shipped goals. He is also starting partly not out of choice for Liverpool, granted how that's how people get their opportunities but they were forced their hand really because both Clyne and Gomez were injured. I am not too worried though especially in a 3 man defence and I trust Southgate. He knows best at the end of the day. I also think Trippier, Walker and a right footed left back plus Arnold is a potential unbalanced overload. Man united's play is pretty pedestrian if we have any issues with Rose and Arnold at left wing back would be possibly really throwing him in the deep end. 

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Feel like we're one attacker short in that squad. Don't really need 9 defenders.

Agree. But who else is there? Looking at the stats for this year, the leading English scorer not included in the squad is Glenn Murray from Brighton.

What is the point of Wellbeck over Shelvey really. We only have 1 natural backup attacking midfielder now. At least the teams setup is positionally dynamic, might need it to be...

Callum Wilson is a very good player. What's the point in Lewis Cook anyone?

1 minute ago, mark1985 said:

Agree. But who else is there? Looking at the stats for this year, the leading English scorer not included in the squad is Glenn Murray from Brighton.

Haven't got any strikers in the back up players either :D Agree there's not much out there, pretty bad really. 

Bit disappointed that there is no Shelvey or Lascelles in the squad. Not sure Jones, Cahill, Maguire and Welbeck deserve their places on merit of this season. Would've been interesting to see someone like Grealish given the chance, wasn't a fan of the lad initially but has done well whenever i've watched Villa recently.

Just now, Golaxi said:

What is the point of Wellbeck over Shelvey really. We only have 1 natural backup attacking midfielder now. At least the teams setup is positionally dynamic, might need it to be...

I'd have had Shelvey in there, but not ahead of Welbeck, would have no attacking players left in the squad :D 

16 minutes ago, AM99 said:

Bit disappointed that there is no Shelvey or Lascelles in the squad. Not sure Jones, Cahill, Maguire and Welbeck deserve their places on merit of this season. Would've been interesting to see someone like Grealish given the chance, wasn't a fan of the lad initially but has done well whenever i've watched Villa recently.

Maguire has been decent this season, not perfect by any means, but his inclusion in the squad is justified given that he has performed well for England in the most recent batch of fixtures and he fits Southgates desire to play out from the back.

I think he's put the wrong Man United defender in. Would have Smalling over Jones, or at least put Chris Smalling on standby. Phil Jones will probably injure himself walking to his first training session he's that unlucky.

Rest of the squad looks about right though. I dont think Shelvey would have got in because he was never called up in March so was never in consideration. Maybe Euro 2020 for him.

7 minutes ago, av3ry said:

I think he's put the wrong Man United defender in. Would have Smalling over Jones, or at least put Chris Smalling on standby. Phil Jones will probably injure himself walking to his first training session he's that unlucky.

Rest of the squad looks about right though. I dont think Shelvey would have got in because he was never called up in March so was never in consideration. Maybe Euro 2020 for him.

Jones is more likely to injure himself using his contorted face to keep the ball out.

Smalling is more likely to pull a player down by his shirt giving away a penalty from a nothing attack, AND has less about him on the ball.

For a tournament I'd take a fit Jones every time.

Archived