2018 World Cup squads

PMLF

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Brandt been that good this season and in recent international friendlies to include him above Sane? And surely Rudy isn't needed with all the midfielders already there? Joachim Low is mad. I mean I hope he knows what he's doing because if Sane isn't good enough for Germany then just give them the trophy already. 

2 minutes ago, LilSaint said:

England might actually have a chance against this Belgium squad. Kompany and Vermaelen unfit, no Nainggolan, no actual left wing back, Belgium might lose against England.

Concerning the German squad: I think it is important to realise that just like countries such as Spain and France, Germany has got an overload of very good players. In the end it's not only about selecting the best players based upon their individual qualities but also on what makes the best team. I think over the past year Löw has definitely shown he knows how to do that. Besides all this you also have to take into account that Sané so far did not impress for Germany when he played, his reputation in England is probably bigger than in Germany. 

Personally I would have definitely wanted Sané in the team, but I feel the reactions are a little bit exaggerated at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, LilSaint said:

Good to see Benteke not being selected, was a little bit afraid he would be in there instead of Michy. 

2 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Good to see Benteke not being selected, was a little bit afraid he would be in there instead of Michy. 

Tbf I was expecting Benteke and Michy to both be selected. Benteke obviously had a horrendous season, but I don't think 3 attackers is too much for a world cup.
Lukaku is always going to start though, will just have to hope he stays fit. Kompany the biggest concern atm - although I'm almost hoping he doesn't get fit in time. He's been too much of a liability over the past few years when it comes to his fitness.
It's not going to be beneficial to have him in the team if he picks up yet another injury after 1 game.

7 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

England might actually have a chance against this Belgium squad. Kompany and Vermaelen unfit, no Nainggolan, no actual left wing back, Belgium might lose against England.

Don't see that happening tbf. Then again, it's the last group game and I'd like to think only first place will be at stake by then.
Nainggolans non-selection is incomprehensible, but it's not like we don't have any quality left in midfield without him. We don't play with real wing backs, we play a 3-4-3 with Carrasco typically on the left.
Kompany/Vermaelen is an issue, but with Alderweireld/Vertonghen, we should be fine really.

12 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Of course England has a chance against Belgium, even without these things England has a very good side. 

6 minutes ago, LilSaint said:

Don't see that happening tbf. Then again, it's the last group game and I'd like to think only first place will be at stake by then.
Nainggolans non-selection is incomprehensible, but it's not like we don't have any quality left in midfield without him. We don't play with real wing backs, we play a 3-4-3 with Carrasco typically on the left.
Kompany/Vermaelen is an issue, but with Alderweireld/Vertonghen, we should be fine really.

Carrasco and Chadli does not give me confidence if we're taking them as a wing back. Which also leads to the defence shape and personnel. Since Belgium play with a back 3, and Vermaelen/Kompany aren't fully fit, the alternative is play Boyata/Dendoncker isnt it? Or Ciman if one of the two unfit defenders decides to bail. It would look like a major weak link any competent side could easily target.

I mean you're Belgian and you know more about the team. How far do you reckon the confirmed squad could go now? Was Jordan Lukaku injured or Martinez didn't rate him?

1 minute ago, DB08 said:

Exactly what georginho said. Sane hasn't really been good for Germany and while it is surprising to see him excluded, it isn't a huge shock.

Did anyone watch the Confed Cup last summer?

He was awesome in that. Had he had a bit more luck and instead of hitting woodwork and his shot flying instead people would have suddenly different views which makes it a joke. 

Helps other countries though him not being there.

Sane has the potential to be one of the best players in the world in the next few years, especially when Ronaldo and Messi start winding down. At his age and after the season he has just had, this will hurt him for a long time as far as the national side goes 

Slightly absurd.

Maybe time to phone Nainggolan and Icardi and go on a yacht ride for the Summer whilst cheering for Spain or Brazil or something at the expense of their own national teams.

40 minutes ago, DB08 said:

Löw once took Podolski and Klose to the World Cup after they scored 3 goals for their clubs the season before that. He knows what he is doing.

Podolski and Klose had years of pedigree with Germany.

The player he's taken over Sané, whoever that is, absolutely will not have the years of credit those two had.

Not that I'm against dropping amazing club players that dont perform for national teams, but I don't think harking back to what he did with Klose is comparable

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Slightly absurd.

Maybe time to phone Nainggolan and Icardi and go on a yacht ride for the Summer whilst cheering for Spain or Brazil or something at the expense of their own national teams.

Nah, this is actually not really comparable to the situation of Nainggolan imo. 

32 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Nah, this is actually not really comparable to the situation of Nainggolan imo. 

Löw has loads of credit and can do whatever he pleases. If he thinks Sane shouldn't go, nobody will complain.

On the other hand Martinez and Sampaoli are turds trying to prove a point and will probably fail miserably.

Nainggolan was always one of the better Belgian players and Martinez literally said we have Mertens in that position. Wth?

At least I can enjoy seeing Argentina  fail after Higuain chokes.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Löw has loads of credit and can do whatever he pleases. If he thinks Sane shouldn't go, nobody will complain.

On the other hand Martinez and Sampaoli are turds trying to prove a point and will probably fail miserably.

Nainggolan was always one of the better Belgian players and Martinez literally said we have Mertens in that position. Wth?

At least I can enjoy seeing Argentina  fail after Higuain chokes.

I meant more that have been 'clashes' between Nainggolan and Martinez where it also public knowledge that Martinez feels that Nainggolan doesn't have the lifestyle of a professional iirc. Naingollan is clearly one of the best players Belgium has. With not selecting him I feel the squad of Belgium is clearly of a lesser quality. Also the explanation of Martinez seemed very odd and unfounded. 

With Sané, I would firstly say he is not yet one Germany's best players and secondly there are no signs that Löw is making judgements based upon things outside the pitch. I feel especially for Sané it doesn't work in his favor that his performances for Germany have been pretty average so far. He seems to have a bit of trouble blending into the squad. It is highly likely that based upon that Löw made the decision to not pick him. And it makes it an relatively easy choice when you have so many brilliant players to choose from. 

Concerning Icardi, dunno, but also there of course have been rumours already for years that Messi refuses to play with him due to the Maxi Lopez situation. 

14 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Concerning Icardi, dunno, but also there of course have been rumours already for years that Messi refuses to play with him due to the Maxi Lopez situation. 

Have him and Messi shared the pitch yet for Argentina? I see Icardi only has 4 caps.

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

How has Marko Pjaca been coming on the last two years? He looked a beast at Euro 2016.

He tore his ACL last summer, was loaned out to Schalke during the winter but never got a real chance there, either.

He certainly has the potential to get to Perišić's level for example, but if he doesn't leave Juventus (because there's no chance he gets solid minutes there), I don't see it happening.

Lack of wingers and glaring hole at the left back are the biggest issues, but Rebić has been great over the past few months so Pjaca is probably not going to get any minutes.

Kramarić-Mandžukić-Perišić offensive trio is the most probable one. With Mandžukić and Kramarić switching positions during the game.

2 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Neuer Captain, guy hasn’t played all season and straight into side as number one. Could go tits up that.

He was their best player against Austria.

Rumor is, Sane didn't fit in well, didn't properly gel with the rest of the team. And Low gave him time. As good as Sane is, Low know what he's doing. Man has won practically everything with Germany, demolished Brazil, he has earned a credit to do as he pleases. 

4 hours ago, adhikapp said:

Carrasco and Chadli does not give me confidence if we're taking them as a wing back. Which also leads to the defence shape and personnel. Since Belgium play with a back 3, and Vermaelen/Kompany aren't fully fit, the alternative is play Boyata/Dendoncker isnt it? Or Ciman if one of the two unfit defenders decides to bail. It would look like a major weak link any competent side could easily target.

I mean you're Belgian and you know more about the team. How far do you reckon the confirmed squad could go now? Was Jordan Lukaku injured or Martinez didn't rate him?

Chadli handles the job best if you take defensive & attacking duties into consideration. Carrasco is better higher up the pitch.
Then again, Chadli is severly lacking game time and Carrasco now plays in China so..
The back 3 is going to be Vertonghen Vermaelen Alderweireld imo, Vermaelen reportedly is almost fully fit again. Ideally Kompany recovers in time, but I don't fancy his chances much so then that leaves Boyata/Dendoncker/Ciman as alternatives. Which is fine against Panama, but not against England/Colombia/Poland I reckon.
To be fair to Boyata, he played quite well against Portugal. Even without Ronaldo, I quite rate Guedes/Martins. Either way, we have to hope for Vermaelen/Kompany to be fit-ish if we want to get anywhere.

Martinez quite rates Jordan Lukaku iirc, but he was still injured and unavailable. Tbf, Jordan isn't quite up to par with the rest of the team and left back is our 'weakest' position.
As for how far the squad could go, it's tough to say. Most pundits over here agree they should reach the quarters/semi finals because this is our best ever generation and they've failed to impress on the last 2 major tournaments.
Personally I think the game against England will be paramount to determine if we face Colombia/Poland in the second round, but I think we should reach the quarter finals at least. Anything further is going to require a luck/fitness/.. factor and is anyones guess.

Archived