2018 World Cup squads

PMLF

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

What's the selection policy to leave out who I thought was their best deeper-lying CM? :confused:

Martinez's explanation is that he plays as an attacking midfielder for his club, and he isn't disciplined enough to balance the attacking wealth of the team as a defensive midfielder. He also states he doesn't want to take him as a sub, because a player like him should either be important  or not be there at all.

All in all, an unconvincing explanation.

Preliminary squad:

https://twitter.com/BelRedDevils/status/998504300249829376?s=20

De 28 namen: 

Doelmannen: Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet, Koen Casteels, Matz Sels

Verdedigers: Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen, Vincent Kompany, Thomas Vermaelen, Thomas Meunier, Laurent Ciman, Dedryck Boyata, Christian Kabasele, Jordan Lukaku

Middenvelders: Kevin De Bruyne, Mousa Dembélé, Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini, Yannick Carrasco, Nacer Chadli, Leander Dendoncker, Thorgan Hazard, Youri Tielemans

Aanvallers: Eden Hazard, Dries Mertens, Romelu Lukaku, Michy Batshuayi, Christian Benteke, Adnan Januzaj

14 minutes ago, Sano said:

Martinez explanation is that he plays as an attacking midfielder for his club, and he isn't disciplined enough to balance the attacking wealth of the team as a defensive midfielder. He also states he doesn't want to take him as a sub, because a player like him should either be important  or not be there at all.

I got really confused then and thought you were saying Javi Martinez had been playing as an attacking mid :D Rather than Roberto Martinez's explanation. Thanks for clearing it up :thup:

39 minutes ago, Sano said:

Martinez's explanation is that he plays as an attacking midfielder for his club, and he isn't disciplined enough to balance the attacking wealth of the team as a defensive midfielder. He also states he doesn't want to take him as a sub, because a player like him should either be important  or not be there at all.

Wow thats crap. Imagine being Nainggolan and see guys like Laurent CIman and Nacer Chadli get a call-up before you. This is still 28-man rather. He didn't even make the stand-by list? Martinez is clueless. I always try to play the devil's advocate, but I can't make a convincing argument for Martinez's side at all for not bringing Radja.

“Nainggolan is a top player,” Martinez assured at his Press conference.

“The reason is tactical. In the last two years the team has worked in a specific manner. Other players had those roles.

“We know that Radja has a very important role in his club, and we cannot give him that role in our squad.”

Martinez has previously stated that he sees Nainggolan as a number 10, and that Eden Hazard and Dries Mertens are better in that position.

Really?
Literally comparing Nainggolan to Hazard and Mertens?

18 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

24? So just 1 player will miss out now? :D

Ćorluka's injury status is still unclear, so if he recovers Ćaleta-Car is out.

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Januzaj :cool:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Belgium are winning NOTHING!

NOTHING! 

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Argentine final squad:

Ddu3F46UQAA6bhq.jpg

No Icardi.

I am glad Armani has been called up.

Like Brazil, they have included only 3 local-based players.:thdn:

Ansaldi :lol:

This is as mediocre squad as it gets.

Not a single class player who constantly delivered for Argentina except for Messi.

Basically the same thing as Italy. Old farts that have proven they don't have the quality to match the expectations get infinite chances, while younger players never even got the chance.

9 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Icardi should have been there. Joint Serie A top scorer. Either Higuaín or Agüero could have stayed home.

Parades also had to be there.

But instead he went with Biglia and Mascherano.

Battaglia also left out.

Salvio? Why not Centurion or Perotti?

5 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Belgium are winning NOTHING!

NOTHING! 

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

like he's going to make the final cut 

nah, he's one of the people falling off in the end no doubt, together with Benteke 

32 minutes ago, celtic_fc said:

Belgium to have an injury crisis at CB and Boyata to get a big money move off the back of a couple of fluke performances please.

reason he's included is no doubt the injury proneness of our choices there with Kompany and Vermaelen

It used to be entertaining, but gunman crying in every thread that overrated Icardi hasn't been called ahead of four superior players is tiresome now.

Romero; Mercado, Otamendi, Mascherano, Rojo; Di María, Biglia, Lo Celso; Messi, Higuaín, Agüero

Thats not a bad XI tbh. Fullbacks suck but they've had an issue producing fullbacks for over 10 years now

20 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

It used to be entertaining, but gunman crying in every thread that overrated Icardi hasn't been called ahead of four superior players is tiresome now.

Yeah, because literally the whole nation of Argentina is firmly behind Higuain and Aguero and there were no mass public outrages against those two over the past years or today.
And I didn't bring this up anywhere except for the threads about Argentinian NT.

And I dislike Argentinian NT because they didn't call up Zanetti in either 2006 or 2010. Cambiasso in 2010, either. Left winger Gutierrez playing as the RB.
No Tevez in 2014 and we all know who bottled it in the final.

Many NT squads have players that play much better for the NT compared to their club performances. If Argentina had players like that, nobody would say a word. But they keep sticking to the players that have been completely burying them over the past 5 years.
Nobody cares that Aguero plays amazingly well for Man City because he's a shadow of himself in the NT and he's never delivered. Pretty much the same could be said for Higuain.

And neither Dybala or Icardi never got the proper chance.
As for who's the superior player, interesting stat chart from like a month ago I saw. Idk which site is this so I don't have the current data.

Spoiler

DZDZQz_XW4_AA7x_Fr.jpg

Apparently only Serbia and Switzerland haven't publicly announced their provisional/final squads, and they're in the same group. They must have already submitted a provisional list last week. Why haven't they bothered to officially announce their teams yet?

Well, can't speak for Switzerland but when it comes to Serbia...

Basically, our FA is corrupt as f**k. People from top of the organization has deals with players agents and they fired coach who got us to World Cup and hired puppet manager instead so they can get their own players to Russia, inflate their price and sell it as summer transfer window rolls in. I guess puppet (Krstajic, sad for him, as he was great player) wait for people at the top to make deals among themselves, whose players to call up and when they're done, we'll know who are in our squad for Russia.

18 hours ago, Constantine said:

Well, can't speak for Switzerland but when it comes to Serbia...

Basically, our FA is corrupt as f**k. People from top of the organization has deals with players agents and they fired coach who got us to World Cup and hired puppet manager instead so they can get their own players to Russia, inflate their price and sell it as summer transfer window rolls in. I guess puppet (Krstajic, sad for him, as he was great player) wait for people at the top to make deals among themselves, whose players to call up and when they're done, we'll know who are in our squad for Russia.

Well thats a bummer. But didn't the previous manager not favor Sergej at all? And what will the Serbia squad most likely look like? Their midfield looks strong imo with Matic, Sergej, and Milivojevic.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Sergio Romero is out, knee injury in training.

Keeps getting better for Argentina.

Caballero to the rescue, I guess.

They have already called up Nahuel Guzmán as a replacement.

Hopefully Armani will start now.

6 hours ago, adhikapp said:

Well thats a bummer. But didn't the previous manager not favor Sergej at all? And what will the Serbia squad most likely look like? Their midfield looks strong imo with Matic, Sergej, and Milivojevic.

Yeah, Muslin didn't call up Sergej at all, bar some unimportant friendly, just because he vastly dislike Sergej's agent, Mateja Kezman. His excuses were even dumber than Martinez's comments on Radja Nainggolan. 

On paper, our midfield look really good. Matic, Sergej, Milivojevic, Tadic, even Ljajic and Filip Kostic, including up and coming Andrija Zivkovic. But we never had manager to put all pieces to work together as best as possible. Which is a tragedy, really. Last few generations, we've had some great players but because greedy FA, off the field stuff, awfull managers, we've never fulfilled our full potential. 

In Russia, i really don't expect much. Years and years of disappointment does that for you. Also, as great as our midfield is, our defense looks really shaky and slow. Goallie is past his prime while Predrag Rajkovic isn't ready yet. And attackers aren't really inspiring. I admit, Mitro is great at Fulham, Luka Jovic has awakened at Frankfurt and Prijovic is decent in Greece. While they're not terrible, it's really nothing to write home about. 

But we'll see in a month and so...

7 hours ago, Constantine said:

Yeah, Muslin didn't call up Sergej at all, bar some unimportant friendly, just because he vastly dislike Sergej's agent, Mateja Kezman. His excuses were even dumber than Martinez's comments on Radja Nainggolan. 

On paper, our midfield look really good. Matic, Sergej, Milivojevic, Tadic, even Ljajic and Filip Kostic, including up and coming Andrija Zivkovic. But we never had manager to put all pieces to work together as best as possible. Which is a tragedy, really. Last few generations, we've had some great players but because greedy FA, off the field stuff, awfull managers, we've never fulfilled our full potential. 

In Russia, i really don't expect much. Years and years of disappointment does that for you. Also, as great as our midfield is, our defense looks really shaky and slow. Goallie is past his prime while Predrag Rajkovic isn't ready yet. And attackers aren't really inspiring. I admit, Mitro is great at Fulham, Luka Jovic has awakened at Frankfurt and Prijovic is decent in Greece. While they're not terrible, it's really nothing to write home about. 

But we'll see in a month and so...

The Mateja Kezman? He's an agent now? TIL.

Thanks for the write-up. Appreciate the details and I now have an outline of basically what I could expect from Serbia this summer. Looking at your expectations, getting out of the group would probably be considered a good tournament. And yea good luck next month.

Now there is an interview with Romero's wife and she's saying his injury is like 2 weeks at the most and that they wanted to get rid of him.

Messi is going to need a historical performance to get them out of the groups.

4 hours ago, Russell10 said:

Have Serbia announced the squad yet?

27 man squad, I'm lazy to fix club's names (they have a rule of write as you read :D)

GK: Vladimir Stojković (Partizan), Predrag Rajković (Makabi), Aleksandar Jovanović (Orhus), Marko Dmitrović (Eibar).

Defense: Aleksandar Kolarov (Roma), Antonio Rukavina (Viljareal), Milan Rodić (Crvena zvezda), Branislav Ivanović (Zenit), Uroš Spajić (Krasnodar), Miloš Veljković (Verder), Duško Tošić (Gvangdžu R&F), Matija Nastasić (Šalke), Nikola Milenković (Fiorentina).

Midfield: Nemanja Matić (Mančester junajted), Luka Milivojević (Kristal Palas), Marko Grujić (Liverpul), Nemanja Maksimović (Valensija), Dušan Tadić (Sautempton), Andrija Živković (Benfika), Mijat Gaćinović (Ajntraht), Filip Kostić (Hamburg), Nemanja Radonjić (Crvena zvezda), Sergej Milinković Savić (Lacio), Adem Ljajić (Torino).

Attack: Aleksandar Mitrović (Fulam, pozajmljen od Njukasla), Aleksandar Prijović (PAOK) i Luka Jović (Ajntraht).

Thing is it was reported Switzerland's FA (Well at least I think it is) posted their 35-man preliminary squad here sometime last week. Why I say "I think it is" is because if it was actually official, it should've been posted on everywhere. shouldn't it? I'd like someone from Switzerland to follow me up on this. And then there's this from their actual site saying Marvin Hitz asked to not be included. I'm entirely sure.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Now there is an interview with Romero's wife and she's saying his injury is like 2 weeks at the most and that they wanted to get rid of him.

Messi is going to need a historical performance to get them out of the groups.

27 man squad, I'm lazy to fix club's names (they have a rule of write as you read :D)

GK: Vladimir Stojković (Partizan), Predrag Rajković (Makabi), Aleksandar Jovanović (Orhus), Marko Dmitrović (Eibar).

Defense: Aleksandar Kolarov (Roma), Antonio Rukavina (Viljareal), Milan Rodić (Crvena zvezda), Branislav Ivanović (Zenit), Uroš Spajić (Krasnodar), Miloš Veljković (Verder), Duško Tošić (Gvangdžu R&F), Matija Nastasić (Šalke), Nikola Milenković (Fiorentina).

Midfield: Nemanja Matić (Mančester junajted), Luka Milivojević (Kristal Palas), Marko Grujić (Liverpul), Nemanja Maksimović (Valensija), Dušan Tadić (Sautempton), Andrija Živković (Benfika), Mijat Gaćinović (Ajntraht), Filip Kostić (Hamburg), Nemanja Radonjić (Crvena zvezda), Sergej Milinković Savić (Lacio), Adem Ljajić (Torino).

Attack: Aleksandar Mitrović (Fulam, pozajmljen od Njukasla), Aleksandar Prijović (PAOK) i Luka Jović (Ajntraht).

Some clubs have better names this way than in their original spelling!

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It's pronounced literally the same as in English, but written differently.

You should see some of the English players' names.

I wonder how Brazilian names look like, considering certain sounds don't exist in Serbian, like -ão and -nho.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

I wonder how Brazilian names look like, considering certain sounds don't exist in Serbian, like -ão and -nho.

-nho is usually -njo.

NJ is a single character, seperate from N and J. Pronounced the same as for example in English for NEW. NJU = NEW (same pronouncation, hence the Njukasl).
There's alo LJ.

-ão, a isn't changed, but when you pronounce -o like -u at the end, that changes sometimes. (Or is that just people in Portugal that do it, idk :D)
But João for example is Žoao.

Archived