2018 World Cup squads

PMLF

2 hours ago, Russell10 said:

What is likely to be Brazil starting line up? I think that is where my money is going this year.

Probably:

Alisson; Danilo, Miranda, Marquinhos (or Thiago Silva), Marcelo; Casemiro, Fernandinho, Paulinho; Coutinho, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Probably:

Alisson; Danilo, Miranda, Marquinhos (or Thiago Silva), Marcelo; Casemiro, Fernandinho, Paulinho; Coutinho, Neymar, Gabriel Jesus.

That is very strong. With Firmino coming off the bench.

25 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Probably:

That is a strong side, Dani Alves is a miss though!

you confident Brazil will win it?

5 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

That is very strong. With Firmino coming off the bench.

Firmino is pretty rubbish at the national team though, he is yet to have a really good game. He is on the squad because of his Liverpool form and the lack of good forwards.

Just now, Russell10 said:

That is a strong side, Dani Alves is a miss though!

you confident Brazil will win it?

I think Brazil will be like Germany in 2010, a good World Cup (semis or so) but won't win.

I think the trophy will remain in Europe, with France, Spain or Germany winning the title.

18 hours ago, PMLF said:

Renato Augusto is the 5th player who is not based in Brazil/Europe that is called up for the World Cup:

Renato Augusto - Beijing Sinobo Guoan (China)

Júlio César - Toronto FC (Canada)

Dunga - Jubilo Iwata (Japan)
César Sampaio - Yokohama Flugels (Japan)

Ronaldão - Shimizu S-Pulse (Japan)

(Leonardo joined Kashima Antlers from Japan on 1 July 1994, so he can be counted or not depending on the criteria used).

Renato Augusto has been brilliant this year.

Were Gil or Oscar ever seriously in the reckoning?  Or any other CSL-based players, for that matter?

1 minute ago, Shi Xiansheng said:

Renato Augusto has been brilliant this year.

Were Gil or Oscar ever seriously in the reckoning?  Or any other CSL-based players, for that matter?

Gil had a small chance during the beginning of Tite's period as manager, then lost his place. Oscar and other CSL players were not considered.

Gil, Renato Augusto and Paulinho have all played under Tite when they were at Corinthians.

6 minutes ago, Shi Xiansheng said:

I could understand either of them not being there, don't get me wrong, but I thought at least one more CSL player might sneak in.  Gil and Oscar were both involved in qualifying, were they not?

Oscar was only called up by Dunga but not by Tite, if I recall correctly.

Tite called up 64 players since he became manager and Dunga called up many before that too.

7 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Oscar was only called up by Dunga but not by Tite, if I recall correctly.

Tite called up 64 players since he became manager and Dunga called up many before that too.

So you're suggesting it's standard practice for Brazil managers to call up a great number of players, and that thus being called up doesn't necessarily suggest you're being considered for a tournament squad?  Comes with having a large player pool, I guess?

Just now, Shi Xiansheng said:

So you're suggesting it's standard practice for Brazil managers to call up a great number of players, and that thus being called up doesn't necessarily suggest you're being considered for a tournament squad?  Comes with having a large player pool, I guess?

Yes, calling up tons of players is normal here, this is also why we only have 6 players from the 2014 World Cup squad in the 2018 World Cup squad.

The pool of players is huge, as you say, so it's hard for any player to stay on the top of the best Brazilian players list. 

Makes sense.  I'm used to watching the selection rumors in the run-up to US squads being announced (or those for other countries, for that matter), where it's common for two or three surprises, very young or very old players, to make the final cut, and where training camps and squads for friendlies give hope to any player involved.

Thanks for the info.

Feels like a better Uruguay than last time. Refreshed the team quite well given they spent years relying on the same old players - hence why they have loads on 90+ caps still lingering around.

Torreira is brilliant. Don't know if he's in their XI, but if he is he'll be on more people's radars than just Serie A fans.

Muslera-Giménez/Godín- Vecino/Torreira-Suárez/Cavani is a good spine

On 14/05/2018 at 11:53, PMLF said:

Brazil squad:

Selecao_lista2_14052018.jpg

Dedé (Cruzeiro) and Rodrigo Caio (São Paulo) are both in Brazil's reserve list.

The other 10 names have not been revealed/leaked yet.

On 15/05/2018 at 14:35, PMLF said:

Firmino is pretty rubbish at the national team though, he is yet to have a really good game. He is on the squad because of his Liverpool form and the lack of good forwards.

Won't get the best out of him playing him anywhere other than centrally.

Which won't happen for the NT.

Final 23 from Portugal.

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui Patrício (Sporting);

Defenders: Cedric Soares (Southampton), Ricardo Pereira (FC Porto), Pepe (Real Madrid), José Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Bruno Alves (Glasgow Rangers), Rúben Dias (Benfica), Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund), Mário Rui (Napoli);

Midfielders: William Carvalho (Sporting), João Moutinho (Monaco), João Mário (West Ham), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow), Adrien Silva (Leicester), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting).

Forwards: Bernardo Silva (Man City), André Silva (Milan), Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia), Gelson Martins (Sporting), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid).

Out are the likes of Nélson Semedo and André Gomes both from Barcelona; Ruben Neves; Nani; or Euro final goalscorer Éder. Danilo Pereira is out due to injury.

On 15/05/2018 at 22:40, PMLF said:

Uruguayan preliminary squad (26 players):

Uruguai_15052018.jpg

Not good for them that Maxi Pereira and Cristian Rodriguez are still options by now. This is not World Cup 2010 anymore. :D They're ****ing ancient! Maxi still plays for us and I think he's finished IMO.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

Final 23 from Portugal.

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Goztepe), Rui Patrício (Sporting);

Defenders: Cedric Soares (Southampton), Ricardo Pereira (FC Porto), Pepe (Real Madrid), José Fonte (Dalian Yifang), Bruno Alves (Glasgow Rangers), Rúben Dias (Benfica), Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund), Mário Rui (Napoli);

Midfielders: William Carvalho (Sporting), João Moutinho (Monaco), João Mário (West Ham), Manuel Fernandes (Lokomotiv Moscow), Adrien Silva (Leicester), Bruno Fernandes (Sporting).

Forwards: Bernardo Silva (Man City), André Silva (Milan), Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia), Gelson Martins (Sporting), Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid).

Out are the likes of Nélson Semedo and André Gomes both from Barcelona; Ruben Neves; Nani; or Euro final goalscorer Éder. Danilo Pereira is out due to injury.

Only 7 players from last WC, 2 being GKs. Hopefully the result will be different.

Costil; Debuchy, Koscielny, Laporte, Digne; Rabiot, Bakayoko, Sissoko; Coman, Lacazette, Martial

An XI of France players that didn't make their World Cup 23 :D

And there's still Kurzawa, Payet and Ben Yedder. Plus Benzema who doesn't even get considered for other reasons.

11 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Is Cédric and whoever the backup rightback is better than Cancelo and Semedo? 

Cédric is not that great but is the only one with decent experience in the NT.

Between the other 3, Ricardo had the best season, but quality-wise they're all pretty even and better than Cédric. Cancelo can't defend though.

10 hours ago, noikeee said:

The French:

1add12595afd6dc210c42384680e3bd8.jpg

Can we loan all the guys that didn't get called up? Lacazette, Payet, Martial, Kurzawa, Digne, Rabiot, Laporte, ......

Haha in your face Payet :p

Best Marseille player for 2 years in a row now

Top French goal scorer among the 5 big leagues in Europe

Really solid player in an average squad tbh where we don't have any valid striker (i speak about Marseille team)

2 hours ago, sc91 said:

Adrien Silva over Ruben Neves is a bit of a surprise.

Tbh I wouldn't pick a player playing in the second tier either tbh. And Adrien Silva has the credit of having played with the team lots already

9 hours ago, sc91 said:

Adrien Silva over Ruben Neves is a bit of a surprise.

It is, with Danilo injured, W. Carvalho is the only pure DM in the squad. But since they'll play a flat 442 it doesn't matter that much. Manuel Fernandes also a bit of a surprise.

Ridiculous French squad. They've a better deeper squad than anybody but I still don't think they'll win it.

Hardly surprising that Renato Sanches didn't make the Portugal squad after how exciting he was at Euro 2016. He'll bounce back I hope but what a waste the last two years have been.

il y a 53 minutes, Haguey a dit :

Ridiculous French squad. They've a better deeper squad than anybody but I still don't think they'll win it.

Hardly surprising that Renato Sanches didn't make the Portugal squad after how exciting he was at Euro 2016. He'll bounce back I hope but what a waste the last two years have been.

Back in the days, in 2002, we had in our squad for the WC the 3 top scorers in Europe (Henry, Trezeguet, Cissé)  and we've been knocked out in the groupstage without scoring a single goal !!

The way we play at the moment is nowhere near a top squad, but we have the potential to improve it hopefully

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

No modern football squad 2006 Brazil, but they completely bottled it.

Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Ronaldo offense, 3 of them at their peaks and still amazing Ronaldo.

The so-called 'magic quartet'.

Robinho was also in the squad but Zé Roberto was Brazil's best player in that World Cup. 

9 hours ago, Gorando said:

Nainggolan doesnt make the Belgian squad

Although completely in line with his selection policy over the past 2 years, I still think this is a baffling decision. Nainggolan is a wildcard who can turn a game upside down with his energy and who can unlock a game with his long shots. Crazy not to take him.

1 hour ago, Sano said:

Although completely in line with his selection policy over the past 2 years, I still think this is a baffling decision. Nainggolan is a wildcard who can turn a game upside down with his energy and who can unlock a game with his long shots. Crazy not to take him.

What's the selection policy to leave out who I thought was their best deeper-lying CM? :confused:

Archived