A little point in the right direction.

So after some extended time away from playing FM18 the bug has bitten me once again. 

Now I have an idea how I would like my team to play, but replicating it where I am having a few little issues. Normally I play a possession based tactic that you would see Napoli using under Sarri at the moment, but this time I want to get away from that style of play and be more focus on some key principles which are:

• 4-3-3.
  • High pressing.
  • Fast transitions.

I don't know if the is me being very indecisive or just overthinking it. But the main issues I'm having is which would be the best mentality to select. I swaying towards Control for the basis it already has a high d-line and high pressing built in and it comes with more risks taken by players, I'm also thinking that for the style of play I'm wanting then 'More Direct Passing' is a must. Or is it, could 'Pass into Space' or attacking player roles selected help with the fast transitions? 

Would love to hear some thoughts from other on the forums.

I think going for the higher mentalities is what you want so control/attacking. 

If I compare to my Inter I've got something similar in terms of the press. I play a 4-2-3-1 control, with a higher D-line and tighter marking. Difference is my wide men are both on support, as well as one fb iirc. We had the highest avg possession in the league and we're about 2nd for it this season. I think you could definitely try putting some aggressive attack duties in to see how it plays out, although obviously you'd need roles further down the pitch to support that

Personally I think "style" begins with the players you use and the roles+duties you give them, as those are the primary causes of who goes where and tries what plus how they combine etc.  Mentality, TI's, PI's, and Shape then refine it.  I think a common mistake when building a tactic from scratch is assuming you need certain settings to get the style you want.

Hence i'd get your roles+duties sorted first, pick a mentality that you think best fits and then just try it.  If when watching the game certain players aren't combining or aren't playing in the right areas look at the roles+duties. if you see players not selecting a direct pass or through ball that is actually available, have a look at there PI screen to see what they're instructed to do and the player used to see if they had the mental attributes required then see if its a common occurrence or just the player deciding it wasn't the best option or making a bad decision.  If its multiple things on multiple occasions and multiple players consider the mentality+TI's.  If its specific players first consider there role+duty then consider if you need to add PI's.

Attempt 1.

The idea is the F9 drops into space which allows the IFs to attack with pace. The RPM is a driving force in midfield and the BBM floats around helping where needed. DM sits in front of the defend as a protected screen, this position may change.

Mentality - Control.

I chose control as it is quite aggressive base with high d-line and high pressing. I have chose not to select any closing down options and only increase closing down by the use of PIs on the front 3 and the midfield 2. I'm currently very undecided to go with 'More Direct' or 'Pass into Space' maybe it is due the fact I'm not entirely 100% sure what difference either will make. Again any advice would be appreciated. 

Olympique Lyonnais_  Overview-2.png

Archived