Defensive Full Back to Full Back...How long

Hey all

So i have 2 decent full backs, but they aren't very comfortable playing FB(S), so i've been using them as DFB(D).

But ideally i want to to develop into full backs that can offer the team something outside the defense.

Any & all advice welcome

RB - Bjørn Erik Haugstad

20180509213847_1.thumb.jpg.075824d69579833d044169cad8b0ad79.jpg

LB - Malo Michel

20180509213914_1.thumb.jpg.3b3c7ddb13fea85477fd3eee923f1693.jpg

Yeah it's a bit unfortunate, but I find the role circles aren't as helpful as I would prefer. Basically the game is saying based on the attributes that the player is best suited for DFB, but ultimately if you want to play them at a Fullback and think they are qualified to do so for your league, you can change that.

It's a bit more common in lower leagues where attributes are lesser and the roles with less required attributes are easier to satisfy.

As an exercise, open up your player screen and highlight key attributes for each role (there's a button for this).

You should find that there is a lot of overlap between key attributes, but even so, calculate a rough average of the highlighted attributes for each role. If it's 11.5 against 11.2, you can see that you're splitting hairs (or the game is).

19 hours ago, ajsr1982 said:

If it's 11.5 against 11.2, you can see that you're splitting hairs (or the game is).

This is a useful way of looking at it actually. All the suggested roles function is trying to do quicken the process of deciding what a player can do.

In reality, the difference between a few roles isn't too great and when you choose the duty you are just emphasising different attributes.

17 minutes ago, felley said:

This is a useful way of looking at it actually. All the suggested roles function is trying to do quicken the process of deciding what a player can do.

In reality, the difference between a few roles isn't too great and when you choose the duty you are just emphasising different attributes.

Exactly. It's good to be aware of what's dragging it down of course. I don't know the exact attributes in question, but if a FB has really poor pace or acceleration, then asking him to attack might well be a mistake, despite what I wrote above.

Think of the circles as nothing more than guides as to how it's best to use a player rather than a definitive "this is all they can do"

You can play any player in any position and assign them any role & duty combo you see fit

The important part is do they have the correct mix of attributes to get the job done

if they do, then you'll only experience the minor problems of no position/role familiarity brings

which afaik is mostly a slightly increased chance of mistakes or errors in judgement

oh that and the assman whinges at you constantly through the match feedback

as most have said the "cake" meter isn't telling that a player can't play there, i have used a Winger that is full at support as a IF(A) with half "cake" and he is right now my best player by far with only 3 stars CA for my team, i also use a CB as a WB(A), the only bad thing is that he isn't good at dribbling and can't cross that much, something that can be fixed with the instructions of dribbling less and crossing less, he will play as usual but will be taking less risk because he "knows" he is not good doing that.

since those roles are almost the same (i think the only diference is that WB defends a little bit higher, in the DM area more or less) you can play them in that role if they have at least half cake, they will play the same, they will get some decision error but not that much since the roles are almost the same

I had something similar, in my 4141 inter Milan save, David’s santon was my LB for the first 2-3 games & he kept getting caught out of position. So I signed a CB who is left footed, to play LB full back support but with a low risk mentality. He has made a massive difference to my defence

Just another person to say attributes >>>> everything else.

I've pretty much always had problems getting full backs in FM so almost always end using converted wingers and midfielders in those positions.

If they are doing what you want them to do and doing it well you can pretty much ignore the opinions of your backroom staff.

Archived