• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just realised that I didn't have attribute masking turned on, so I have decided to start again. I had only progressed a couple of days so it's not too bad.

I was hoping to get Huddersfield again, but I missed out on them by a point. This time I will be managing Swansea.

Manager Profile | League Table

Also, not sure if this has been asked already, but with regards to the academy player, could you sign a player that came from you academy and then use him as the match day player, or does it have to be somebody who is currently at the club?

57 minutes ago, Watson156 said:

So I just realised that I didn't have attribute masking turned on, so I have decided to start again. I had only progressed a couple of days so it's not too bad.

I was hoping to get Huddersfield again, but I missed out on them by a point. This time I will be managing Swansea.

Manager Profile | League Table

Also, not sure if this has been asked already, but with regards to the academy player, could you sign a player that came from you academy and then use him as the match day player, or does it have to be somebody who is currently at the club?

You can absolutely sign someone.  But, I would assume everyone has a squadable U23, and certainly U18's if it was that drastic.  But yes, if a player is no longer at Swansea, but he is a Swans academy grad, you can purchase him and he will meet your requirement.  

I am still on FM17, but here are Swansea's "trained at club 15-21" players from last season, all in U23, if that helps as a start point.

Swans.thumb.jpg.3764b9232f3e75a216ea350d46094882.jpg

Honestly, a lot of people are going to have to use a U23 player that they may not want to play for a while, until they get their youth system flowing... but that just makes what United has done for decades all the more impressive, and makes it a nice requirement for the challenge.  We must focus on our youths, without having to be as locked down as we would on a Youth Academy challenge, for example. :)

If you don't have that on your view, it is "Home-Grown Status" which will display if they were trained at your club at a glance.  Hope that helps a bit.   

(EDIT: I will go and switch you to Swansea on our rolling leaderboard, I'm adding all challengers so everyone knows all competitors!)

Edited by jaysdailydose

6 hours ago, themonk9223 said:

i'm assuming attribute masking is a given?

I already answered this above, but just wanted all challengers and potential challengers that I have edited this into Post #1 and the ruleset.  Thank you very much for letting me know I'd forgotten to add those options into the rules, @themonk9223!

"ALL Options should be unchecked except for "Do Not Add Key Staff" -- you may do cosmetic edits, so your use of the editor IS ON YOUR HONOR." 

^^ has been added to the ruleset.  I apologize for anyone's inconvenience for not having it in the original post to start! :(

Man, I'm going through my staff on Day 1, and I forgot how managing in the top flight in the first season can really be cool/difficult when looking for staff.

Southampton has a pretty amazing Head of Youth Development in Matt Hale, but it came down to a decision between he, Kristjaan Speakman, and Gary Brazil.  I haven't hit continue yet, but I am attempting to sign Speakman.  Brazil is a Model Pro, and Speakman is only a Professional, whereas Hale's personality is Determined.  He's got great coaching statistics, but I felt Speakman or Brazil would be better for intakes, and I'd rather just phase the HOYD out of the coaching setup and have him focus on intakes, especially if the personality is that good.  Luckily, Speakman can definitely still hold his own on the training pitch.  If Brazil's attributes and playing style were just a bit better/conducive to mine, I'd have hired him, because a Model Pro HOYD *is* awesome.  We'll see how it goes, it has just been a while since I had a staffing situation that I had to look into that deeply, and it was interesting -- so I figured I'd share. :D

GO SAINTS! (That's a weird one to say... I'm used to finishing with #YNWA.) :D

well i'm gonna have a go this year. i did this chaalenge in fm16 and failed so hopefully this time round i'll do better!

2032705623_EnglishPremierDivision_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a6bd4ceff120907e81121806a5506c8a.png

i feel i got super lucky :) 

was simming a few times brying for  west ham or brighton since tey have good youth facilities and after a couple tries southamptom popped up, with swansea the team usually in 19th all the way up in 10th! well im cetainly not complaining.

1142391453_AlexFerguson_Inbox.thumb.png.ba974de16bb253b4b0486f651f1a9ce2.png

Alex Ferguson_ My Profile Profile.png

Man, the initial staff hires for a top-flight club is definitely my most time-consuming part.  I've honestly put a ton of work in on my Southampton save already, and I haven't even hit continue for the first time yet!

Unless some of these teams try to not take their compensation fees and try to keep their personnel, I feel I've put together a pretty amazing staff.  I'm definitely going to petition my board for senior coaches, though, as we are currently running with only six coaching slots -- and that seems quite low for a Prem club.

As a whole, the AI did a rather nice job of tutoring players, and the tactic they were using makes a lot of sense.  I've got quite a bit of fluidity, but they are going to have to put in some work on the training pitch for tactics, as I want them to play a more fluid system, with more creative freedom.  I'm keeping their formation as what they played, though, and going to be starting with 4-1-2-3 DM Wide.  It is nice being on FM17 as I still have Virgil Van Dijk, that is for certain.  He is wanted by a couple of large clubs already, though, so I'm not sure I'll be able to retain his services through the first transfer window.  Such is life, though.

I'm off to hit CONTINUE, finally. :)  

Just wanted to share my first fixture, as I haven't been as excited about a club or a save in a long time.  Thrown right into the fire at St. Mary's at Bournemouth, and we get a late winner out of Charlie Austin, who was suffering through with a thigh strain.  Way to gut it out and get us the three, lad! :D  

With our next two Premier League fixtures against Liverpool and City, we really needed the three for our confidence.  Next we're in Europe, hopefully we can build up some more.  Even though we've qualified, it would be great to win our group, and Fenerbache is our only competition for it.

FirstFixture.thumb.jpg.7d2204cf04b6c7b81f3f43f9b6533740.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tecmo said:

Pretty sure I'll have to try this with Swansea soon, I can rescue them, even if only in my own mind.

We will be most happy to have you!  I'm glad people are coming back to this awesome challenge! :)

You can obviously reload as many times as you like to get Swans.  I always stop holiday and save on Nov. 5, because there is usually at least 2-3 different clubs it can be each time.  It shouldn't take too long at all with Swansea!

Best of luck, hope to see your manager profile in here soon! :)

Anonymous poster asked in IM if international management is allowed during the challenge, as Fergie did take the reins for Scotland for a time.

The answer is NO.  You won't want it on your plate anyway with all the needed achievements, but to maintain fairness in reputation and the like, no one is allowed to take the reins of a national team.  

Ferguson did not manage Scotland at any point during his United tenure, so it doesn't fit with our challenge anyway, as we are not playing the "completionist" SAF challenge, which requires you to get his Scottish achievements as well.  

Thanks everyone, and if there are any other questions, you can feel free to ask in thread or in private message, either way works great!  Hope everyone is having a fun challenge so far!

11 minutes ago, Tecmo said:

Hmm, Swansea owners have a philosophy of signing High Profile Players. Not ideal.

Yeah, I tried to get the Southampton board to remove attacking and possession philosophies, but they refused.  I just hate having philosophies based on style of play, in case the game reads them weirdly.  But, it is what it is.  Definitely LOVING Southampton here.

It is definitely interesting to play with them as a Liverpool fan, also, since we've been linked on so much business.  Very solid base to build from, in case you wind up not wanting to use the Swans.  At least in FM17, their philosophies were Attacking Football, Possession Football, Develop Young Players, and Sign Young Players.  I can't imagine their club philosophy has changed in game, but can't speak to it for certain.  

You could always give your Swans a try and try to get them to drop the philosophy.  They give you the meeting within like three days to talk philosophies... but I don't know if you want to take that chance.  

Best of luck with whichever club you hop in with!  I just got a huge point going into the Etihad early on in my tenure to get the Saints out of the relegation zone, definitely already getting heavily immersed in this save. :D

Edited by jaysdailydose
Grammar.

4 minutes ago, wynter said:

I need a distraction while I get a save of mine up to speed  on FMCU so consider me in :) 

Awesome!  Just take a screenshot of your manager on November 6, when you take over your club, and I'll add you to the leaderboard as soon as I see the post!

Welcome to the challenge, glad to have you competing with us!  Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, wynter said:

Just realised a minor mistake, using a profile so I accidentally kept myself as Australian. I only know English though so still all good?  

Oh yeah, that's fine.  As long as your age and badges are right, and you only have the one language, no big deal.

11 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Yeah, I tried to get the Southampton board to remove attacking and possession philosophies, but they refused.  I just hate having philosophies based on style of play, in case the game reads them weirdly.  But, it is what it is.  Definitely LOVING Southampton here.

It is definitely interesting to play with them as a Liverpool fan, also, since we've been linked on so much business.  Very solid base to build from, in case you wind up not wanting to use the Swans.  At least in FM17, their philosophies were Attacking Football, Possession Football, Develop Young Players, and Sign Young Players.  I can't imagine their club philosophy has changed in game, but can't speak to it for certain.  

You could always give your Swans a try and try to get them to drop the philosophy.  They give you the meeting within like three days to talk philosophies... but I don't know if you want to take that chance.  

Best of luck with whichever club you hop in with!  I just got a huge point going into the Etihad early on in my tenure to get the Saints out of the relegation zone, definitely already getting heavily immersed in this save. :D

Probably going to try that and then just restart it again if it pisses them off or something.

10 hours ago, m0nk3y-b0y said:

@jaysdailydose

Stick me down for this, I got Leicester so hopefully should make life easier.

Fergus Alexander_  Inbox.png

Fergus Alexander_ My Profile Profile.png

Premier League_ Overview Profile.png

Welcome to the challenge, I'll get you added to the leaderboard immediately with the Foxes!  

Great job on your Alex Ferguson picture as well, it looks better than mine! (I was trying to get the younger version, so less pics to work with!  Impressive!

Best of luck to you, and thank you for getting involved to compete with us!

6 hours ago, wynter said:

Trying to find good,cheap prospects in a 6k player pool :seagull:

Ultimate Bargain Hunter engaged.

That was the other part of the reason I kept the DB low, it wasn't just for people playing on toasters, like I unfortunately am at the moment.

It definitely makes you dig deeper to find good players, and adds some challenge without being unfair. (As we all play in the same environment.)

3 hours ago, Tecmo said:

Probably going to try that and then just restart it again if it pisses them off or something.

Smartest move.  I originally had gotten West Ham, but I just can't stand the club anymore... which is pathetic on the part of the Hammers.  They were the first ChampMan club I ever had success with, many years ago now.  I had gotten Burnley on my second spin, but I felt they would be one of the hardest potential clubs to play. (I am on FM17, with the disaster I had at my house this year.)  

I couldn't be happier with Southampton... most immersed I've been this early in a save in a long time.  The Liverpool connection helps, but it is just a fun club.  Here's hoping I don't get sacked early. :)

5 hours ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Is this possible to do on FMT?

I don't see why not.  Would be great to have you involved, been a long time fan of your posts, Makoto!  

As long as you can holiday to November 6, take over the club, and keep a small DB, I see no potential issues.  I unfortunately haven't played FMT to confirm, but I don't sense any potential issues.  

If there are, we can cross that bridge when we come to it!  Hope you are able to get involved!

Sorry for the delay on replies today.  For those that don't remember me from over the years, I am five hours behind all of you in the States.  Unfortunately, my wife's grandfather had a medical emergency this morning, and we've just returned home after having him taken to the hospital. :(  He's going to be fine, but definitely wasn't my normal morning where I log in and read nearly immediately.

I've gotten our new challenger added to the leaderboard, and am going to start my play for the day.  I dropped back down to 19th last night, but we had some extremely tough fixtures.  In my early going, I have already played Liverpool, United, and City.  Things are definitely going to get a bit easier from this point, but morale is absolutely in the tank from the run of poor results.  

We won our Europa League group, and we were into the quarters of the League Cup and won our fixture there against Norwich, so we are still in the running for potentially three challenge trophies this season, as we haven't entered the FA Cup yet, and are in the Semis of the League Cup, and into the last 32 of the Europa League.  Everywhere BUT the Prem, we're doing great!

I kept our expectations at "Avoid relegation" -- so I *should* get most of the season to keep us up.  I head off to play Leicester City now to start the Christmas period, and that will be our 18th fixture... so 20 matches will remain to try to make noise in the Prem for this season, and not only keep us up, but hopefully get us into mid-table at least.

Normally, I wouldn't go into such detail before an update, but I needed to take my mind off this afternoon's events, so you get me writing novels. ;)

Best of luck to our new challengers, and here's hoping that friends like @Makoto Nakamura and @Tecmo are competing with us soon as well!  

One thing I forgot to mention in my novel up above... my first signings, who will be joining January 1st.

My very first signing for Southampton F.C. will be defender Harry Maguire, coming over from Hull.  £12.75M and £1.3M on his 50th appearance.  That'll always be one to remember, being the first...

Our second signing may wind up being a world-beater, as we have signed Brazilian wonderkid Thiago Maia from Santos FC.  I just got notice that he was granted his conditional British work permit upon appeal, so he will also be joining us on January 1st.  I was scared that I would either have to send him to our Spanish affiliate for two seasons for a permit, but luckily, it was granted on appeal.  Defensive midfielder Maia will be joining for £13M up front, and £5.5M after his 50th appearance.  We were also forced to add a 40% of profit from next sale clause, as Santos locked negotiations on it.  

I'm not worried about making a big profit from him, I'm hopeful I can have him 2-3 seasons before he jumps ship, and help us progress the club.  I was willing to accept the clause to get a young player of his undeniable quality.  (Our scout has him as a solid 4* already, and a gold 5* potential... which isn't unexpected from a named wonderkid.)  

I'd like to bring in another striker, as Charlie Austin is out injured, and our only other options that I feel good about using are Shane Long, and Manolo Gabbiadini, who is much more comfortable playing on the right.  I'm right at my wage budget, though, and those two signings used almost all of our transfer budget.  I felt it was necessary to improve the defense, though, especially considering VvD is already wanting to move to Manchester United, and Maya Yoshida is wanting to head to Villareal.  If I sell either one, I will definitely have to go back into the market for a central defender, and as of right now, my scouts have me looking at 22-year-old Chancel Mbemba of Newcastle.  We'll see how things develop.

NOW, I'm probably moving to just seasonal updates.  Just having so much fun with the save, and it is definitely interesting playing in the Prem right out of the get. (I am almost exclusively a LLM manager, so starting with a top-flight club at the beginning is totally foreign to me.) :D

Hope everyone is enjoying their saves as much as I am!

(EDIT: Another name on the central defender scouting list is Michael Keane, who is still at Burnley.  Remember, I'm still on 17!  He would definitely cost more than Mbemba, but I'm figuring if I have to sell VvD, I'll get around 41M or so for him, based on my conversations with the lad thus far about his interest in moving to Mourinho world.)

Edited by jaysdailydose

609c353b66f7223f4443e048c6f9b252.png

Stuck with a team that doesn't really play to my style, which is what the January window will be all about with a solid rebuild in mind to give us a more attacking edge. Really mixed on Wilson atm, fires far too infrequently to really be trusted up top. Did go up a gear the last few games though and we demolished Christmas week and started the new year in a great mood.

d18b4bf13ba494d77b8f06a5a8e2ffb1.png

Plotting a Top 10 Finish and Next Year will hoepfully be the start of a more aggressive assault on the League and FA Cup.

8bc9fa5208a3305f3aa567366bd04dcc.png

Transfers in, Nyambe is an old favorite from FM16 and going to try and coax all that once glorious potential out of him. I'm transitioning my Front 3/4 into a much more lethal unit, will take 1/2 seasons to fully reach fruition though.

Rejoining as Watford

Profile.thumb.jpg.0cddf66e3c02bfea2b699162a6c8e459.jpg

Table.thumb.jpg.a3e8c10c4714d910ebfd1ce461625123.jpg

I don't have anyone registered as Watford, and most of my players are either completely ****, or not from my own academy. So quick question, they only have to be in the squad, they don't have to play, right? When I do register them in Jan, that is?

Beat Southampton

Have Man City next

Once in the league, once in the Cup

Ouch

Edited by theonets

1 hour ago, theonets said:

Rejoining as Watford

Profile.thumb.jpg.0cddf66e3c02bfea2b699162a6c8e459.jpg

Table.thumb.jpg.a3e8c10c4714d910ebfd1ce461625123.jpg

I don't have anyone registered as Watford, and most of my players are either completely ****, or not from my own academy. So quick question, they only have to be in the squad, they don't have to play, right? When I do register them in Jan, that is?

Beat Southampton

Have Man City next

Once in the league, once in the Cup

Ouch

They only have to be in the squad, that is correct!  And U21's don't have to be registered at all in the Prem, so you will have some options there.  But, you are also correct, you don't have to worry about it until player registration reopens on January 1st, when the winter window opens.

Feel free to reload as many times as you wish if you aren't happy with your club, though!  It is completely within your rights for the challenge to keep trying until you get something you are happy with.  You'll be with them for at least 27 years, so probably good that you are happy to start! :D

Welcome to the challenge, I'm adding you to our active leaderboard now!  Best of luck to you!

I had already basically already given up on FM18 altogether but after seeing this thread decided I'll give it one more go.

QQjQihih.png

qiHNW2Ph.png?1

Very happy with getting Newcastle, one of the more "realistic" (i.e. closest to what United was when Fergie took over) of those clubs you could feasibly get. A big club, at least in theory, with history and potential but has been underachieving for a long time.

It looks like there's a takeover process going on though so I might get sacked once it happens. If I get a sugar daddy takeover I'll start over regardless, don't want to make things overly easy.

2 hours ago, kozmik said:

A quick question regarding the academy players rule... Does it mean simply players who are "home grown at the club" or are there additional requirements?

Home grown at club is fine.  It is an "on your honor" thing, anyway -- as obviously I'm not going to be able to go through your squads and tell, not that I would anyway. :)

It is strictly based around the fact that United hasn't had a squad without an academy product in it since October 30, 1937 -- it was 80 straight years in October that they'd had an academy player in every matchday squad... something like 3,883 straight fixtures when it got to 80 years, so it obviously entailed the entire Fergie era at United.

If you do not have one registered when you start, you aren't required to comply until you are able to register players again starting on January 1.  A lot of teams may have to use a U23 or U18 player, but I think it adds a nice flavor and an extra bit of challenge to most saves. :)

And welcome to the challenge, I'm going to add you and the Magpies to the active board right now.  Best of luck to you, and thanks for coming to compete with us!

Our next competitor will bring the amount of challengers to ten!  

Thanks so much to all of you for helping me to revive this challenge!  Very happy that it has drawn people's interest again, and I can't wait til we start progressing and get some great competition in here!  

My wife's grandfather has been released from the hospital, so I'll have a lot more time to play today.  I am very excited, as I am leading the EFL Cup Semi after the first leg, so there's definitely still a possibility of multiple challenge trophies in my first season.  (I'm still active in the Europa League, FA Cup, and EFL Cup!)  

Hopefully I get a chance to post a screenshot with a first trophy sometime today, but it'll definitely be a fight to do so!

It is by ESPNFC, but a very solid piece on United's youth academy awesomeness over the last 80 years.  Here is a link to the full story:  

3,883 games and counting: Rashford continues United academy streak

Good quote here, and this is a good guide for us:

It is a run that started on Oct. 30, 1937 -- the 80th anniversary falls on Monday, the day before United face Benfica in the Champions League -- when Tom Manley and Jackie Wassall played in a 1-0 defeat to Fulham.

Rashford, Lingard, McTominay and Tuanzebe are just the latest to pick up the baton.

To put it into context, Everton also have an impressive run of promoting youth team graduates. After United, it is the longest in the Premier League standing at more than 1,000 games over 21 years.

For the round of Premier League matches on the last weekend in August, six teams -- Bournemouth, Burnley, Manchester City, Stoke, Swansea and Watford -- did not include a youth team graduate at all. United beat Leicester 2-0 thanks, in part, to a goal from Rashford.

The record is detailed in Sons of United, a chronicle of United's youth team written by Steve Hobin and Tony Park.

Greater movement of young players between different clubs and countries means there are strict criteria about what constitutes a youth team graduate.

They have to join United before they turn 18, without playing first team football elsewhere, and play for the club's junior teams as part of their development.

It means players such as Lee Sharpe, who played for Torquay before moving to Old Trafford, and Regan Poole, who played first team football for Newport, do not count.

"I use these three criteria as we can hardly claim that we developed the player if they were virtually adults when they joined, had already played first team football somewhere else or went straight into our first team without playing for our academy in some capacity," Park said.

Interesting piece as a whole, but I think that provides us a nice guideline for the challenge.  

12 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

Home grown at club is fine.  It is an "on your honor" thing, anyway -- as obviously I'm not going to be able to go through your squads and tell, not that I would anyway. :)

It is strictly based around the fact that United hasn't had a squad without an academy product in it since October 30, 1937 -- it was 80 straight years in October that they'd had an academy player in every matchday squad... something like 3,883 straight fixtures when it got to 80 years, so it obviously entailed the entire Fergie era at United.

If you do not have one registered when you start, you aren't required to comply until you are able to register players again starting on January 1.  A lot of teams may have to use a U23 or U18 player, but I think it adds a nice flavor and an extra bit of challenge to most saves. :)

And welcome to the challenge, I'm going to add you and the Magpies to the active board right now.  Best of luck to you, and thanks for coming to compete with us!

Thanks! I'm a United fan so well aware of the record. :) Was just wondering whether the academy graduate was meant in a strict sense.

Anyway, I've had a rough start with 4 defeats from 4 games. The takeover has been completed, was by a consortium. I'm waiting to find out my fate but I expect to get sacked, as the news item said something about them wanting to bring a new guy in. So you might have to edit the active board pretty soon...

Just now, kozmik said:

Thanks! I'm a United fan so well aware of the record. :) Was just wondering whether the academy graduate was meant in a strict sense.

Anyway, I've had a rough start with 4 defeats from 4 games. The takeover has been completed, was by a consortium. I'm waiting to find out my fate but I expect to get sacked, as the news item said something about them wanting to bring a new guy in. So you might have to edit the active board pretty soon...

Well, here is hoping you make it.  It is a tough start to a challenge, so definitely no shame if you have to start again.  Especially in a situation with a takeover. :(

Unrealistic as it is that Mike Ashley will ever actually not screw up a sale of Newcastle.  He upped his price on Staveley another £50M yesterday, just a few days after upping it £30M on her.  

It was 320M at start of week, then 350, now 400.  Amanda Staveley isn't a woman to be trifled with, and she'll walk if he continues to act like a moron!  

4 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

Well, here is hoping you make it.  It is a tough start to a challenge, so definitely no shame if you have to start again.  Especially in a situation with a takeover. :(

Unrealistic as it is that Mike Ashley will ever actually not screw up a sale of Newcastle.  He upped his price on Staveley another £50M yesterday, just a few days after upping it £30M on her.  

It was 320M at start of week, then 350, now 400.  Amanda Staveley isn't a woman to be trifled with, and she'll walk if he continues to act like a moron!  

Got sacked, so will start again.

1 minute ago, kozmik said:

Got sacked, so will start again.

What I would do, if you get a club you like, is just keep a save when you take over the club, just in case you are sacked.  

I also suggest saving on November 5th, as there is usually 2-4 clubs that have a chance at being second-bottom on the 6th at that point, to give yourself some options.  Definitely allowed to reload the start date, just like any of the other challenges.  I personally restarted twice as I wasn't happy with the clubs I started with!  

Just post your manager shot when you get your new team and I'll edit the board.  Best of luck, and hopefully you won't see another takeover attempt in this challenge!

14 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

What I would do, if you get a club you like, is just keep a save when you take over the club, just in case you are sacked.  

I also suggest saving on November 5th, as there is usually 2-4 clubs that have a chance at being second-bottom on the 6th at that point, to give yourself some options.  Definitely allowed to reload the start date, just like any of the other challenges.  I personally restarted twice as I wasn't happy with the clubs I started with!  

Just post your manager shot when you get your new team and I'll edit the board.  Best of luck, and hopefully you won't see another takeover attempt in this challenge!

I did keep a save but the problem is that the takeover was already underway, transfer embargo in place etc. so I don't think there is any way I could've kept the job, except maybe by winning every game until the decision was made. Now THAT would've taken a lot of reloading :lol: