Obviously, the football world was shocked when Sir Alex Ferguson became gravely ill this weekend, needing emergency surgery to repair a brain hemorrhage.  In a way to honor the great man and show him that we are all thinking about him while he's ill, I felt I would revive an older challenge that seems to have fallen by the wayside to other challenges over the years.  That challenge is The Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge, of course!

The first time I saw this challenge was from poster "The Hudd" on Neoseeker many years ago, and he and any before or since him would deserve the credit for initially thinking the challenge up, I am just reviving it!  There are two thoughts of how the challenge should be done, but I think the full replication approach is insanely difficult, and there is just too many arguments for how to do full replication with the Scottish years.  So, I will bring the generally recognized challenge, and just add a small twist to it!  Enjoy!

The Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

Your Manager

44-years-old, December 31 birthdate, Scottish, No Additional Languages, International Player (Continental Level)/Continental Pro License ***

Sir Alex was 44 years old, coming up on his 45th birthday, when he took over Manchester United on November 6, 1986.  He spoke limited German and French, so no additional languages should be given.  He was a Scottish International with 9 goals in 7 caps, born December 31, 1941, and had a quality club career in Scotland.  Sir Alex had taken his badges by the age of 24, and had already won two European trophies in the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Super Cup by the time of his appointment at United, so I'm sure we'll have no arguments over our manager!

Challenge Rules and Restrictions

You MUST LOAD ONLY England to the Sky Bet Championship, with a small database.  No additions! **
You must always have a player produced by your club's academy in every match squad.
You MAY sign permanently NO MORE THAN 11 players in a season, and ONLY 8 PERMANENT signings may feature in the first-team that season!  Sir Alex never signed more than this ever in a season.
ALL Options should be unchecked except for "Do Not Add Key Staff" -- you may do cosmetic edits, so your use of the editor IS ON YOUR HONOR.
You MAY sign any player that you can scout.  You do not have to scout them, but you MUST be able to do so.
You MAY NOT ever do transfer business of any kind with your main rival.  (Liverpool/United have not exchanged a player since 1964.) [Phil Chisnall to Liverpool]
You MAY NOT edit the game in any way other than cosmetic enhancements.  No editor, no edited databases.
 A relegation is immediate challenge over at any time.
A sacking is immediate challenge over at any time.
International management is NOT allowed at any time.

Any version of the game is OK that can meet these restrictions.
When starting the challenge, take a screenshot of your manager profile and the league table on November 6th for confirmation!

NOTE: For the "academy player in squad rule" -- if you do not have an eligible player registered at the beginning of the challenge, you do not have to be compliant until your first chance to register players (January 1st of your first season.)  Thank you to @TheEarl for pointing out this potential issue to where it could be fixed!

It isn't a requirement, but you SHOULD try to develop your academy and youth coaching to their highest levels, and you should try to establish a coaching tree of former players.
** - I feel if people are competing, they should have the same setups for their saves.  That setup allows poor computers in the competition.  Competitive scoring system is below!
*** - If you are playing on FM17, your manager should be International Footballer (National Level) 

The Challenge

Holiday until November 6, and take over the club second-bottom of the Premier League. (Manchester United were second-bottom on 6 November, 1986)

In 27 seasons, you need to do THIS...

SirAlexAchievements.thumb.jpg.628ae23ff9bbd0ddd7b2da45b0f13279.jpg

Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons - Ferguson won his first cup, the FA Cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90
Win the Premier League within 7 seasons - Ferguson won his first Premier League in 92/93
Win a Premier League/FA Cup double within 8 seasons - Ferguson won his first Double with United in 93-94
Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons - Ferguson's Treble Included His Third League/FA Cup Double
Win the Premier League/FA Cup/Champions League Treble within 13 seasons - Ferguson Won the Infamous Treble in 98/99

Achievements

Premier League (13)
FA Cup (5)
League Cup (4)
Community Shield (10)
UEFA Champions League (2)
UEFA Europa League (1) (Replaces the Cup Winners Cup) **

UEFA Super Cup (1)
FIFA Club World Cup (2) (One Replaces Intercontinental Cup)

** A third UEFA Champions League will meet the UEFA Europa League requirement!

Scoring for Competitive Challengers

While completion is the important thing, I have devised a scoring system for those that would like to compete, and I will be making a Challenge Hall of Fame.

UEFA Champions League Win - 1000 points 
Challenge Milestone - 500 points
UEFA Europa League Win - 400 points**
UEFA Super Cup/FIFA Club World Cup Win - 200 points
Premier League Win - 200 points

FA Cup Win - 200 points
League Cup Win - 100 points
Community Shield Win - 50 points  

FULL Completion of ALL CORRECT Trophies and Milestones within 27 years will net you *10,000* points.  If you are able to obtain more trophies, your points will be added to the Hall of Fame as a higher score, but ONLY IF YOU HAVE AT LEAST THE CORRECT TROPHIES.  So, if you win 20 Premier Leagues in 27 years, but you've only won 2 Champions Leagues and no Europa's, you WILL NOT outrank someone who has the correct trophies.  If you don't win your first FA Cup in 4 Seasons, we will acknowledge your point total, but NOT as a "Full Completion."  I hope this makes sense, if it doesn't, I'll gladly break it down.    

** If you are using a third Champions League for a Europa League, one of them only counts 400 points.  If someone wins the Europa League, they won't be looked at as a "lesser" completion just because you won 3 UCL!

THANKS EVERYONE WHO GETS INVOLVED, AND GET WELL SIR ALEX!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Edited by jaysdailydose

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge - Hall of Fame!

"Sir Alex" Completions (Exceed 10,000 Challenge Points)

Full Completions (10,000 Challenge Points, Correct Trophies)

Yellow Card Completions (Exceed 27 years or Incorrect Trophies/Game Setup)

Smp20 (Newcastle United F.C.) - 45 Trophies, 5 Milestones - 16,500 Points -- STILL ACTIVE!!

Best of luck to all who try to get on the leaderboard!  All versions of the game are acceptable as long as they can meet the challenge rules!

Current Leaderboard for Active Saves

Smp20 (Newcastle United F.C.) - 45 Trophies, 5 Milestones - 16,500 Points
Premier League (21/22, 22/23, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, 26/27), FA Cup (18/19, 20/21, 21/22, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26), Carabao Cup (20/21, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, 26/27),  Community Shield (2019, 2021, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026) -- UEFA Champions League (19/20, 20/21, 21/22, 22/23, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, 26/27), UEFA Super Cup (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026), FIFA Club World Championship (20/21, 21/22, 22/23, 23/24, 24/25, 25/26, 26/27) 
Challenge Milestones: ALL MILESTONES ACHIEVED

M0nk3y-b0y (Leicester City F.C.) - 12 Trophies, 4 Milestones - 4,450 Points
FA Cup (2017/18, 2019/20), Community Shield (2019, 2020, 2021), Carabao Cup (2018/19, 2019/20), Premier League (2018/19, 2019/20), UEFA Champions League (2019/20), UEFA Super Cup (2020/21)
Challenge Milestones: ALL MILESTONES ACHIEVED

TheEarl (Everton F.C.) - 7 Trophies, 3 Milestones - 2,950 Points
2017/18 UEFA Europa League, 2017/18 UEFA Super Cup, 2018/19, Premier League (2018/19, 2019/20), FA Cup (2018/19, 2019/20), 2019 Community Shield  
Challenge Milestones: Won FA Cup within Four Seasons, Won Premier League within Seven Seasons, Won Premier League/FA Cup Double within Eight Seasons!

MarcXD (West Ham United F.C.) - 7 Trophies, 2 Milestone - 2,200 Points 
2021/22 Premier League, 2018/19 and 2019/20 FA Cup, 2020/21 UEFA Europa League, 2020/21 Carabao Cup, 2019 & 2020 Community Shield
 Challenge Milestone: Won FA Cup within Four Seasons, Won Premier League within Seven Seasons!

Beric Dondarrion (Stoke City F.C.) - 2 Trophy, 1 Milestones - 1,700 Points
2018/19 UEFA Champions League, 2018/19 Premier League
Challenge Milestone: Win the Premier League within 7 seasons!

JayTheGreat (Everton F.C.) - 5 Trophies, 1 Milestone - 1400 Points

2018/19 UEFA Europa League, Two FA Cups (2017/18, 2018,19)  Two Community Shield (18,19)
Challenge Milestone: Won FA Cup within Four Seasons!

Theonets (Watford F.C.) - 4 Trophies, 1 Milestone - 1,350 Points
2017/18 FA Cup, 2018 Community Shield, 2018/19 UEFA Europa League, 2019 UEFA Super Cup
Challenge Milestone: Won FA Cup within Four Seasons!

Makoto Nakamura (Huddersfield Town A.F.C.) - 2 Trophies, 1 Milestone - 1,100 Points
 2018/19 UEFA Europa League, 2018/19 FA Cup
Challenge Milestone: Won FA Cup Within Four Seasons!

TheMonk9223 (Liverpool F.C.) - 1 Trophy - 1,000 Points
2017/18 UEFA Champions League

Deisler26 (Crystal Palace F.C.) - 2 Trophies, 1 Milestone - 750 Points

2017/18 FA Cup, 2018 Community Shield
Challenge Milestone: Won FA Cup within Four Seasons!

Kubson (Stoke City F.C.) - 1 Trophy, 1 Milestone - 700 Points
2017/18 FA Cup

Wynter (A.F.C. Bournemouth) - 1 Trophy, 1 Milestone - 700 Points
2018/19 FA Cup

Kaiserwatman - (Southampton F.C.) - 1 Trophy, 1 Milestone - 700 Points
2020/21 FA Cup

JaysDailyDose (Southampton F.C.) - 1 Trophy - 400 Points
2016/17 UEFA Europa League

Steff91 (Everton F.C.) - 0
Watson156 (Swansea City A.F.C.) - 0

Kozmik (West Ham United F.C.) - 0
JButton (Crystal Palace F.C.) - 0
Paulskln (Swansea City A.F.C.) - 0
Tecmo - (Stoke City F.C.) - 0
NastyMiller (Huddersfield Town A.F.C.) - 0
Matt Cox (Brighton and Hove Albion F.C.) - 0
Jtiessen (Everton F.C.) - 0
Constantine (Newcastle United F.C.) - 0
Keano16 (West Ham United F.C.) - 0
KeeToMyHeart (West Bromwich Albion F.C.) - 0
FmGrandTourer (Newcastle United F.C.) - 0

Muttley84 - (Stoke City F.C.) - 0
OugaBagga (Stoke City F.C.) - 0
Almighty Thermos (Leicester City F.C) - 0

Just submit your Manager Screenshot and the League Table on November 6 to claim YOUR place in history!  Best of luck to you!

Edited by jaysdailydose
Adding challengers name to active leaderboard.

I'm just going to use this post as a running leaderboard or for challenge news and highlights if people truly get involved.  I'm on disability and have time, so I'll definitely make sure it's a fun atmosphere and competitive if people are competing!

If you are planning on competing, make sure to post a manager's screenshot on November 6th, and the standings on November 6, so we know that your club was second-bottom of the standings!  Best of luck to everyone, and I hope we can honor Sir Alex with some good natured competitive fire!  

EDIT: I borrowed the structure of an "average" update from The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge, and modified it to suit our purposes.  You can do your seasonal update however you like, but this will help with "scoring" if you can add it to the end of your updates.  Not necessary, but helpful!

Progress Reporting

You can report your progress however you wish, but at the point where you want to be included in the Hall of Fame Leaderboard above, could you please use this update table?

Challenge Progress

Domestic Titles

0/13 Premier League Titles

0/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles

0/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles

0/10 English Community Shield

European Titles

0/2 UEFA Champions League

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

0/2 FIFA Club World Championship

Thank you to all who participate, and GET WELL SOON, SIR ALEX!  <3 <3 <3 

Edited by jaysdailydose

Rivalry Clubs -- Prohibited to do business with if managing this club!

Arsenal - Spurs
Bournemouth - Southampton
Brighton - Crystal Palace
Burnley - Blackburn Rovers
Chelsea - Arsenal
Crystal Palace - Brighton
Everton - Liverpool
Huddersfield Town - Leeds United
Leicester City - Nottingham Forest
Liverpool - Manchester United AND Everton
Manchester City - Manchester United
Manchester United - Liverpool AND Manchester City
Newcastle United - Sunderland
Southampton - Bournemouth
Stoke City - West Brom
Swansea City - Cardiff City
Tottenham - Arsenal
Watford - Luton Town
West Brom - Aston Villa
West Ham - Tottenham 

Edited by jaysdailydose

Its great to see this challenge back on the board. Even though I am an Arsenal fan, I can't but admire the career of SAF. But maybe its time to make a Wenger challenge also, well atleast the first 10 years or so....

On 9.5.2018 at 05:50, jaysdailydose said:

Challenge Rules and Restrictions

You must always have a player produced by your club's academy in every match squad.
You MAY sign permanently NO MORE THAN 11 players in a season, and ONLY 8 signings may feature in the first-team that season!  Sir Alex never signed more than this ever in a season.

He doesn't have to actually play, just be in the match squad?

The 8 players to feature, is it at the same time, or during an entire season?

5 hours ago, TheEarl said:

He doesn't have to actually play, just be in the match squad?

The 8 players to feature, is it at the same time, or during an entire season?

He doesn't have to play, no.  That extends far back past Sir Alex, as United have not had a match squad without at least one academy player since 30 October 1937.  So, for the entirety of Fergie's United career, he always had at least one academy player in the squad.  

The 8 players is for the entire season.  So you can sign 11, but only 8 of them can participate that season in the first team.

6 hours ago, TheEarl said:

Its great to see this challenge back on the board. Even though I am an Arsenal fan, I can't but admire the career of SAF. But maybe its time to make a Wenger challenge also, well atleast the first 10 years or so....

And I'm right there with you as a Liverpool supporter.  I should detest the man, but I just can't... even knocking us off that perch. :)

Like doing challenges and this has certainly caught the eye of myself.As a Rangers fan i hope he gets on the mend soon..Screenshot to follow.How often do we post up though?

5af9cde1681c4_PremierLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.2affbbb96fbdc1fa889c175ba73cc238.png

5af9cde2a937f_SirAlexFerguson_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.c976a30afad0697c380ae364a198cc38.png

In at Swansea who are languishing as you can see.One win in eleven games says it all!!!

Edited by steff91

3 hours ago, steff91 said:

Like doing challenges and this has certainly caught the eye of myself.As a Rangers fan i hope he gets on the mend soon..Screenshot to follow.How often do we post up though?

5af9cde1681c4_PremierLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.2affbbb96fbdc1fa889c175ba73cc238.png

5af9cde2a937f_SirAlexFerguson_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.c976a30afad0697c380ae364a198cc38.png

In at Swansea who are languishing as you can see.One win in eleven games says it all!!!

You've got some freedom on your updates.  I would just do an "End of Season" update, and I would take a screenshot if you accomplish any challenge landmarks, so I can add you to the Hall of Fame.

I am doing multiple challenges myself, so I'd be happy to post an "average format" in one of my reserved posts, if it makes it easier on those attempting the challenge.  

Thanks for joining up, I was afraid no one would get involved!  It's an old challenge, but I still don't understand why it has fallen by the wayside, as it's a strong challenge!  

@steff91 I updated one of my reserve posts to add in a scoreboard, once you start getting challenge achievements.  No big deal, but your manager came out 43.  Not a concern, though. ;)  The scoreboard is in the edited third post of the thread.  

The only screenshot you should really need each season will be your transfers history, just so we can make sure you didn't exceed the seasonal limits, and to make sure you didn't do business with your main rivals.  Other than that, update in a style that is comfortable for you!  

I had been working on my other challenges until we got some activity, but I think I'm going to get some games in on this tonight now!  Best of luck to you with Swansea, hopefully you do better than they did this season!

I am thinking of personally restarting just because I can no longer stand West Ham -- now that I see that we have some challengers.  We shall see.  Especially since I would love to compete with @TheEarl in something from the start!

Edited by jaysdailydose

My save is absolutely crawling on my toaster of a computer, so I am going to change the setup before we get too far along.  I'm sure you two gents setup correctly, and I won't penalize you two who have started for the current setup (England Tier 6, small DB, and "Players from Clubs in Continental Competitions" checked.)

Talking to a good friend from another challenge, I've learned that adding the "Players from Continental" is really the big stresser for poor computers.  

So, I am editing the challenge before we get rolling, and again, if you two setup your DB like this -- you will not have to restart.  I apologize, but 2* game speed on a toaster like mine would bar me from finishing, so I am going to fix it now before we get started.  I'm going to just make it England to the Championship, small DB, no additions to database.  

(You may have missed it above, but I had a major disaster at my home with a flood and had a ton destroyed, so I am lucky to have any computer at all -- but it will be a few months before my "real" CPU is replaced by insurance.) :(  Playing on a toaster is definitely a new and crappy experience!

Edited by jaysdailydose

Just now, jaysdailydose said:

@steff91 I updated one of my reserve posts to add in a scoreboard, once you start getting challenge achievements.  No big deal, but your manager came out 43.  Not a concern, though. ;)  The scoreboard is in the edited third post of the thread.  

The only screenshot you should really need each season will be your transfers history, just so we can make sure you didn't exceed the seasonal limits, and to make sure you didn't do business with your main rivals.  Other than that, update in a style that is comfortable for you!  

I had been working on my other challenges until we got some activity, but I think I'm going to get some games in on this tonight now!  Best of luck to you with Swansea, hopefully you do better than they did this season!

I am thinking of personally restarting just because I can no longer stand West Ham -- now that I see that we have some challengers.  We shall see.  Especially since I would love to compete with @TheEarl in something from the start!

Cheers for the reply..

Yeah with the age thing i did actually figure that out not long after i done it,maths aint my strong point as you can tell!! :D  Yip i will post like quarterly updates etc throughout this challenge,seems weird SAF is in at Swansea right enough.

And upon loading up my game well trying to,it seems i corrupted the save by shutting down too quickly yesterday,so it appears not to be Swansea after all but a similar struggling team in real-life and that is Everton,apologies everyone it was a genuine mistake on my part!!!

5afae7f530e84_PremierLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.2669e881f86f0ae62b5db0019435062c.png

Let the games begin as they say - good luck to all ;)

5afaecdb07db6_UEFAEuropaLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.e05430446b7d90699b98d37d78ea723d.png

Seems they have had a decent run in the Europa League despite the carnage in the premiership..

5afaf1733d118_SirAlexFerguson_Inbox.thumb.png.42af134927e4e67234d36b5f1f7bd99f.png

Sorry Sammy but you gotta go,you certainly havent been helping the cause it seems.

Edited by steff91

No worries on restarts, ever!  I had to restart myself, and make the setup requirements even lighter!  

It is always nice to see when your predecessor keeps you in European play.  Getting a good run together could knock off a major challenge achievement in your first season, if you can win the Europa League... and having Everton, it really is in play!  

I'm just glad you didn't pick them by choice, or we'd have started off on a bad foot... ;) #YNWA #LFC 

Best of luck to you with the **** side of Merseyside! ;)

No worries on restarts, ever!  I had to restart myself, and make the setup requirements even lighter!  

It is always nice to see when your predecessor keeps you in European play.  Getting a good run together could knock off a major challenge achievement in your first season, if you can win the Europa League... and having Everton, it really is in play!  

I'm just glad you didn't pick them by choice, or we'd have started off on a bad foot... ;) #YNWA #LFC 

Best of luck to you with the **** side of Merseyside! ;)

Haha yes.it seems about the only thing that big sam has done that has been half decent...Merseyside is blue (Well in FM18 anyway!! :D ) IRL i couldnt care less..

1 minute ago, steff91 said:

Haha yes.it seems about the only thing that big sam has done that has been half decent...Merseyside is blue (Well in FM18 anyway!! :D ) IRL i couldnt care less..

I think he's getting the **** end of the stick in real life, even though it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :)  He's done exactly what they've asked him to do, better even... and for it, he'll get the sack.  

Don't feel that you need to update quarterly!  A season wrap-up with your accomplishments is fine!  Just grab a screenshot if you win a trophy!  I'd definitely like players to be able to focus more on playing their game than feeling they need to post an update.  I blogged for a long time, and *having* to write a blog paused progress for me, more times than I care to count!

Obviously, you CAN update that much if you like, but definitely don't feel like you need to do more than one update per season.  

I think he's getting the **** end of the stick in real life, even though it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. :)  He's done exactly what they've asked him to do, better even... and for it, he'll get the sack.  

Don't feel that you need to update quarterly!  A season wrap-up with your accomplishments is fine!  Just grab a screenshot if you win a trophy!  I'd definitely like players to be able to focus more on playing their game than feeling they need to post an update.  I blogged for a long time, and *having* to write a blog paused progress for me, more times than I care to count!

Obviously, you CAN update that much if you like, but definitely don't feel like you need to do more than one update per season.  

Yeh i would agree on that hes been cleaining up Koeman's mess.Done a bit of blogging myself and it does take up time like you say.Probably not blog too much just do bits here and there.Anyway wont ramble too much i'll keep to the task at hand ;)

Just a small teaser. I had a go the other day with Newcastle. Started with 1 loss away to Stoke, before beating Bournemouth at home. Then sacked after 2 games!!! The clue: I took over during a board takeover. They seemed to evaluate me on the entire season, and not just my 2 games. A bit sad, cause the last manager had left us in the Quarter Final of Carabao Cup against WBA, fancied my chances there :P 

A quick request here also. Given the rule that you always have to include a player from the clubs academy in every match squad. It would be awesome, if someone could make a list of starting players that can be counted as academy players in each club.

20 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

A quick request here also. Given the rule that you always have to include a player from the clubs academy in every match squad. It would be awesome, if someone could make a list of starting players that can be counted as academy players in each club.

I unfortunately am on FM17, so any list I would make wouldn't really be useful for you.

If it winds up being too difficult for people to determine, I have zero issue dropping that rule.  I just felt it was a nice touch as Ferguson never had a squad without a United academy product in it -- but that was in place the entire Busby Babes era as well, so it isn't an absolute necessity if it becomes more drama than it adds flavor to the challenge.

I *will* see if I can dig up a link from the real football world that has this info, though.  Maybe I won't need the game itself.  Give me a few to dig, Earl.

2 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

I unfortunately am on FM17, so any list I would make wouldn't really be useful for you.

If it winds up being too difficult for people to determine, I have zero issue dropping that rule.  I just felt it was a nice touch as Ferguson never had a squad without a United academy product in it -- but that was in place the entire Busby Babes era as well, so it isn't an absolute necessity if it becomes more drama than it adds flavor to the challenge.

I *will* see if I can dig up a link from the real football world that has this info, though.  Maybe I won't need the game itself.  Give me a few to dig, Earl.

No, we do not need to take away that rule. But just in the periode 6th November until January registration in the first season I feel it can be excluded.

As far as I know from my attempt at Newcastle, the only academy player I had was P. Dummett. He was injured at the time I took over. Luckily he was just "part injured" at the first match and could sit on the bench. Of course there was lots of players in U23/U18 but they where not registered by the former manager.

But the rule could be that from the first opportunity of registration, that rule comes into play. So for the league that would be any matches after 1st January, and if you are lucky enough to play in Europe, it would be from the knockout stages.... Suggestions?

I couldn't find a link, @TheEarl, I don't think anyone has compiled the data yet, since the season is so recently finished.

Now that I think about it, though, they would have the "HG" tag for home-grown, and be home-grown at club, if they were from your academy. (Or they would still be in your academy working toward their homegrown requirement.)  

7 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

I couldn't find a link, @TheEarl, I don't think anyone has compiled the data yet, since the season is so recently finished.

Now that I think about it, though, they would have the "HG" tag for home-grown, and be home-grown at club, if they were from your academy. (Or they would still be in your academy working toward their homegrown requirement.)  

Thats true, I tend to use other "viewings" so I forgot that :( 

But still I think the rule should come into play at the first possible registration, after all those rules didn't exist at Fergies time of take over ;)

9 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

But the rule could be that from the first opportunity of registration, that rule comes into play. So for the league that would be any matches after 1st January, and if you are lucky enough to play in Europe, it would be from the knockout stages.... Suggestions?

Well, the Premier League you don't have to register U20's, and for the Champions League you have to have 4 players trained at your club between 15 and 21, so I would think MOST teams are going to have someone that meets the requirement, especially with Prem teams.  

I think if we're going to stick with the rule that we should say "If there isn't an eligible player registered, you'll have to carry a U20 in the squad."

It would be different if they had to play, but I think it would be more of a minor annoyance -- and perhaps wind up being good for a players development, if you actually get a chance to get him some game-time.  

Definitely open for discussion, though.  I honestly figured pretty much every Prem team would have someone who fits the requirement that would be a usable player, even at the beginning of the challenge.

(EDIT: When you get your new club, let me know if there's zero players that would be feasible for the requirement.  I'm also going to go take a look through the sides myself.  I was playing my other save, but you piqued my curiosity.) :D

Edited by jaysdailydose

This view looks sloppy, but the addition we want to our view is "Home-Grown Status" -- that's the one that will easily tell us if they were trained at the club during academy time.

Sloppy.thumb.jpg.e3f0b5c563f32f7d576b6fbd7b6fdc90.jpg

For the record, this is my Burnley U23 team at the start, I don't have a HG-club player in my starting squad, either, so would have to play a U20.  

We can change it to "from the first possible registration point" -- I will edit it into the rules right now.  

Thank you very much for bringing this potential issue to my attention!

I just edited the main post @TheEarl -- here is what I added as the note:

"NOTE: For the "academy player in squad rule" -- if you do not have an eligible player registered at the beginning of the challenge, you do not have to be compliant until your first chance to register players (January 1st of your first season.)  Thank you to @TheEarl for pointing out this potential issue to where it could be fixed!"

Edited by jaysdailydose

Anything else you can think of while I'm online at your disposal, @TheEarl?  

I'm making my big start tomorrow, I was getting through a season in my other challenge and then getting my first season or three under my belt in this -- now that I actually have a workable DB setup on my toaster! :)  Burnley should be interesting, they had some of the lowest resources in the top flight in FM17, so definitely not as well off as United when Fergie took over.

If there's anything else in the rules that you think needs to be modified or removed/added, let me know.  I had to change the DB setup the other day for people who need to play on toasters, like me currently -- and I want to make sure we've got everything hammered out before we get into serious competition.

Thanks buddy!  Very glad you're here, I've never really "ran" an FM challenge before, I've always just been a player who played lots of challenges and wrote about them. :)  

I think the rules looks good now, I just try to think of other challenge contenders what they can encounter.

I will give this a go, as a faster gameplay suits me these days. Not so much into FM as I used to. I have some time off today actually, so I might give this a start. I dont see my self as a possible finisher, but who knows maybe I can knock in some seasons and even a trophy 😛 haha

Good luck mate, and cheers for reliving this great challenge :) 

@jaysdailydose

1 minute ago, TheEarl said:

I think the rules looks good now, I just try to think of other challenge contenders what they can encounter.

I will give this a go, as a faster gameplay suits me these days. Not so much into FM as I used to. I have some time off today actually, so I might give this a start. I dont see my self as a possible finisher, but who knows maybe I can knock in some seasons and even a trophy 😛 haha

Good luck mate, and cheers for reliving this great challenge :) 

@jaysdailydose

Make sure you note that I made it an even quicker DB when you setup a potential save.  We're just loading to the Championship with a small DB, no other additions now.  My CPU was crawling, and like you, I was thinking of other challengers who may not have strong computers.  I'd never been there until this disaster at my house, it is a whole new world. :(  Couple months, though, and I'll have new stuff. :D  

The saves fly now that I don't add the Players from Clubs in Continental Competitions, and Vikeologist and others we mutually respect said they've honestly never missed it -- but it sure makes a huge difference for toaster computers!

I may buy FM19 if everything is back to normal after all of this, but I'm going to take two saves to "completion" as with being on disability, I have the time if I put the time in. :)  I honestly just wish I still had my blog.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.  I agree with you, I think the rules are solid and fair to all competitors, and if someone makes the Hall of Fame, they can be proud of it!

Have a good night, and best of luck with your start when you get it going!  

Hey found one more thing.

Starting credentials

I have a category Professional footballer (National level)

or International footballer (Continental level)

I do not have one that says International footballer (National level) ??

1 minute ago, jaysdailydose said:

Make sure you note that I made it an even quicker DB when you setup a potential save.  We're just loading to the Championship with a small DB, no other additions now.  My CPU was crawling, and like you, I was thinking of other challengers who may not have strong computers.  I'd never been there until this disaster at my house, it is a whole new world. :(  Couple months, though, and I'll have new stuff. :D  

The saves fly now that I don't add the Players from Clubs in Continental Competitions, and Vikeologist and others we mutually respect said they've honestly never missed it -- but it sure makes a huge difference for toaster computers!

I may buy FM19 if everything is back to normal after all of this, but I'm going to take two saves to "completion" as with being on disability, I have the time if I put the time in. :)  I honestly just wish I still had my blog.

Anyway, I've babbled enough.  I agree with you, I think the rules are solid and fair to all competitors, and if someone makes the Hall of Fame, they can be proud of it!

Have a good night, and best of luck with your start when you get it going!  

I have saved the game with the original 6 tiers and additional players from clubs in continental competitions in Europe. Hope you dont mind, as I get 4,5 stars from that, and dont have to make a new savegame. Just got Everton now after 4-5 reloads...

1 minute ago, TheEarl said:

Hey found one more thing.

Starting credentials

I have a category Professional footballer (National level)

or International footballer (Continental level)

I do not have one that says International footballer (National level) ??

Can you take a screenshot of all the options when you go to choose it?  It would be greatly helpful as I don't have FM18.  I'll make sure what we should use, as those credentials are FM17.

Just now, TheEarl said:

I have saved the game with the original 6 tiers and additional players from clubs in continental competitions in Europe. Hope you dont mind, as I get 4,5 stars from that, and dont have to make a new savegame. Just got Everton now after 4-5 reloads...

Nope, when I did it I posted that if either you or Steff91 had the original DB that it certainly wouldn't be penalized.  You two will be the only one that are "grandfathered" in under it.  

Can you take a screenshot of all the options when you go to choose it?  It would be greatly helpful as I don't have FM18.  I'll make sure what we should use, as those credentials are FM17.

Skjermbilde 2018-05-16 kl. 07.01.30.png

Everything is now edited and fixed.  I think that is everything, and anyone who starts from now will have the setup/rules we will be using for the duration of the challenge!

Thanks again, @TheEarl -- I think we definitely have a competitive challenge that we can be proud of, and that even the great Sir Alex would get a kick out of!

International Footballer (Continental Level) is the correct choice for FM18.  I will edit post #1 with that information as well, thanks very much for screenshotting!

OK, I went one lower, but guess you can't take me for cheating with one level lower 😛 hehe

Guess its very late your time, so thanks for clearing up, and good night :)

2 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

OK, I went one lower, but guess you can't take me for cheating with one level lower 😛 hehe

Guess its very late your time, so thanks for clearing up, and good night :)

It's only 1AM, I'm still up a while yet. :D  

Nope, you're OK with one level lower, you are actually handicapping yourself.  I definitely am not going to make you restart over something that actually makes your manager worse, though.  As long as you're good with it, you're fine.

Steff91's manager started out as 43 by accident.  No big deal.  I just want to try to keep the saves as uniform as possible for people that want to compete is all.  Neither one of your issues is a gamebreaker going forward.  We're all good! :D  

Now, I just hope we get some other challengers.  Could be a helluva lot of fun as a competition.

Edited by jaysdailydose

The Earls quest to over achieve Sir Alex Ferguson

Starting screenshots included

Team: Everton

Thoughts going forward:

I will look into the clubs finances, and see if we can invest in youth and training over time and recruitment.

For the remainder of the season, I will try to survive, and not get sacked. We are 2nd in our Europa League group, but we have a difficult away match against Villareal coming up. We are out of Carabao Cup, so FA-Cup seems like the only option for an early title.

I will not play so much, so I will try to make a lot of updates, possibly down to as often as each month for the beginning.

Wayne Rooney and Tom Davies counts for academy players, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Skjermbilde 2018-05-16 kl. 07.03.51.png

Skjermbilde 2018-05-16 kl. 06.55.32.png

Skjermbilde 2018-05-16 kl. 07.04.03.png

Skjermbilde 2018-05-16 kl. 07.04.07.png

Great start, @TheEarl -- though don't feel as if you need to update more than once per season.  

Obviously, you can update as much as you like -- but all you need is an end-of-season update and screenshots if you win a trophy!  

As much as I hate saying it, good luck with Everton. ;) 

I can definitely tell it will be competitive, everyone else has Everton, so I want to beat everyone! LOL #YNWA #LFC

4 minutes ago, jaysdailydose said:

Great start, @TheEarl -- though don't feel as if you need to update more than once per season.  

Obviously, you can update as much as you like -- but all you need is an end-of-season update and screenshots if you win a trophy!  

As much as I hate saying it, good luck with Everton. ;) 

I can definitely tell it will be competitive, everyone else has Everton, so I want to beat everyone! LOL #YNWA #LFC

Lol, actually I wanted Southampton. Always fancied their academy, but the closest I came was they where BOTTOM, all other tries they where in 12th or better. Of course would have loved to take over my fav Arsenal, but think I could have reloaded until my death before that happened.

Just now, TheEarl said:

Lol, actually I wanted Southampton. Always fancied their academy, but the closest I came was they where BOTTOM, all other tries they where in 12th or better. Of course would have loved to take over my fav Arsenal, but think I could have reloaded until my death before that happened.

Yeah, Liverpool is pretty much just as impossible.  I remember doing the challenge in previous versions and trying to get them, and never came close.  I had a flirtation with Leicester, but it wasn't to be, and Burnley it was.  I originally rolled West Ham, but they were literally my first ChampMan challenge save that I was extremely successful so many years ago now -- but I hate what has happened to that club, and I just couldn't stomach playing with them.  I would have played Everton, but I just couldn't get immersed in a West Ham save.  I was already cursing out the Dildo Brothers and hadn't been in a week. ;)

Ive had a horrendous start with Everton.although i have progressed to the knockout stages of the Europa League with a tie against Koln waiting on me.The defence is horrendous and we ship goals left right and centre but up front Niasse&Tosun seem to be getting a decent pairing going.Really need heres my results so far since starting the challenge,could be doing a lot better in my opinion.

snip1.thumb.PNG.392f1050f258d0061c7b0d5c0c57b93e.PNG

League Table as it stands,we are in a real fight it seems.Too many big players underperforming.

476169250_PremierLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.112ecb361e17c540be29123e0f734afb.png

Lots of football to be played yet, Steff!  At least you've climbed out of the relegation zone, and are progressing in the Europa League!

The first season SHOULD be especially hard on everyone.  You're starting almost dead last, and you don't get the benefit of a preseason.  Unless you take time in the tactics creator to find out what your predecessor had them playing before your arrival, your tactical familiarity is going to be in the toilet -- at a time when you massively need points!

The good thing for us is that we start in November, to where there is like 27 fixtures remaining.  You and Earl have a big advantage over me in the first season... enough to where I'm thinking of reloading since I haven't actually gotten started yet.  I think Burnley is one of the most difficult sides for this challenge, really.  Once I had that long discussion with @TheEarl last night, I decided to take a long look at the club structure and staff while I was winding down to sleep.  They are only allowed five senior coaches at the start, with only three on staff.  You aren't allowed a U19's assistant.  You have seven U19 coaches, but your board is advising zero, so you can't make a single change if you don't think any of them are at the right level.

Not to mention that you exceed your wage budget right out of the gate, with only $500k in the transfer kitty.  Again, mine is on FM17, but it is just a nasty situation -- and pretty strange, because while Burnley was not established yet in the Prem, they'd obviously already laid a nice foundation for future success, as demonstrated by their performance getting into Europe this season.

I am likely going to reload and get a different club and then lock it in for 27 seasons and come after you Everton lads. :D  There are workers at my house all day, so the wife and I can't really go anywhere, so I'm about to dedicate the whole day to this challenge.  Not that I don't think I could be successful with Burnley, but we are competing -- so no reason to totally handicap myself right out of the gate. :)  

I'll just edit my post with my screenshots above to save room in the thread once I figure out who my new club will be.  

Glad to see you are enjoying the challenge, @steff91 -- I am glad at least a few of us are going to get some fun from it!  I'll be back with my new club as soon as the machine gets there!

While I'm holidaying... do you have any thoughts for your first January window, @steff91 -- always curious how Everton players will approach Rooney in this version?  I think, were I to wind up in charge of Everton after this holiday, that I would probably sell Wazza at the first time of asking, especially if I could get any type of decent fee from a US or Chinese side.  

We know that there is a fair amount of quality in that Everton squad, you have to wonder how they would have fared if they would have brought in a different attacker instead of Wayne this year.  Sure, he was their top scorer... with 11 in all competitions?  I mean, had they been able to get someone like Giroud, they are probably in Europe instead of having to sack Allardyce this morning, even after he did a rather stellar job in doing exactly as they asked.  I don't think ANYONE thought Everton would finish in 8th from the point Big Sam took over.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic... It may wind up that you want to keep Rooney anyway to meet your "one academy product in the matchday squad" rule, as Wayne definitely qualifies for Everton in that regard. :) But was definitely curious how you would approach him, and that first window.  

Who knows, I may even wind up with Everton with you lads after this holiday.  It would definitely be interesting for me to play as one of my most hated clubs!

Edited by jaysdailydose
Grammar.

I think that I will give this a go. I don't know how often I will play this, but with the database size being small, it should be relatively easy to get through a big chunk quickly. So here goes.

I am the new manager of Huddersfield Town. The squad isn't fantastic but I am sure that it will be good enough with a couple of additions in January. Thankfully it also looks like we have a decent player from the academy, although he is from Denmark?!?!? Hopefully we can keep hold of him, until we get somebody decent through the academy.

Manager ProfileLeague TableYouth Player AttributesYouth Player Home Grown Info

1 hour ago, Watson156 said:

I think that I will give this a go. I don't know how often I will play this, but with the database size being small, it should be relatively easy to get through a big chunk quickly. So here goes.

I am the new manager of Huddersfield Town. The squad isn't fantastic but I am sure that it will be good enough with a couple of additions in January. Thankfully it also looks like we have a decent player from the academy, although he is from Denmark?!?!? Hopefully we can keep hold of him, until we get somebody decent through the academy.

Manager ProfileLeague TableYouth Player AttributesYouth Player Home Grown Info

Awesome news!  Welcome to the challenge, @Watson156 and best of luck to you with the Terriers!  That'll be some accomplishment if you get through this, that is for certain! 

In case you missed it in the challenge rules, you aren't required to use your academy player until January 1st, as some clubs do not have a suitable player registered, and that is through no fault of your own!  Glad to hear you have someone suitable, though!

Again, welcome, and good luck to you!

4 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

While I'm holidaying... do you have any thoughts for your first January window, @steff91 -- always curious how Everton players will approach Rooney in this version?  I think, were I to wind up in charge of Everton after this holiday, that I would probably sell Wazza at the first time of asking, especially if I could get any type of decent fee from a US or Chinese side.  

We know that there is a fair amount of quality in that Everton squad, you have to wonder how they would have fared if they would have brought in a different attacker instead of Wayne this year.  Sure, he was their top scorer... with 11 in all competitions?  I mean, had they been able to get someone like Giroud, they are probably in Europe instead of having to sack Allardyce this morning, even after he did a rather stellar job in doing exactly as they asked.  I don't think ANYONE thought Everton would finish in 8th from the point Big Sam took over.

Anyway, I'm straying off topic... It may wind up that you want to keep Rooney anyway to meet your "one academy product in the matchday squad" rule, as Wayne definitely qualifies for Everton in that regard. :) But was definitely curious how you would approach him, and that first window.  

Who knows, I may even wind up with Everton with you lads after this holiday.  It would definitely be interesting for me to play as one of my most hated clubs!

Rooney aint doing too great for me so far with only 1 goal in his 14 appearances,and having made him captain i probably wil keep until the summer if i am still there that is.Although he is playing in midfield.My other academy lad Tom Davies is on a decent run of form with an average rating of 7.00.My focus is getting defenders in as Williams,Jagielka and Keane are just not cutting it.At the January window just now will post up my next update of my transfer activity.Still 17th in the table as i write this.

Edited by steff91

Well, I managed to get the club that @TheEarl was after.  I will be playing the next 27 seasons as Southampton FC!  Finally, a club I am excited about and that I think I can compete with!

Alex Ferguson II on November 6th, 2016:

SirAlexStartProfile.thumb.jpg.bffa4057a0d28989a525e22b43a4edaf.jpg

Hired by Southampton FC:

Hired.thumb.jpg.16f43e2aa12329706a4c3c0ee448bae6.jpg

And finally, the table on November 6, 2016 -- we'll look to get out of the relegation zone immediately, with our game in hand!

Table.thumb.jpg.12ea7b2910a34e8a1814271e678acca8.jpg

Here is our situation in Europe upon taking over the club:

EuropaOnTakeover.thumb.jpg.c0a758f4d08c965d97d85ee89391caa4.jpg

Now we've got ourselves a competition, lads!  Best of luck to everyone, as the Saints are marching after you now! :D

(EDIT: Starting to get into the save tonight, and came back and posted our Europa League Group thus far.  Many thanks to Claude Puel, as he's left me on par with you Everton lads in Europe, with 10 points from 4 fixtures!)

Edited by jaysdailydose
Added European Group Information