Let’s talk set pieces

I currently rely on default routines for all set pieces. I set my pecking order for Corner taker, free kick taker, throw in, and penalty. After reading up some strategies for set pieces I would like to instill some ideas to the pitch.

trouble is, managing the players and roles feels like a complete mess. I use very heavy rotation and pretty frequently substitute during a match. Unless I am missing something it feels like each design I put together only works for the currently selected 11. As soon as I change out a player, the whole strategy breaks down.

im curious how others manage your set pieces. Happy to talk tactics, but more focused on easily managing player management side of things. 

I too am a "default"

The only change I've made is that I moved a shorter forward player to be just outside the box when defending corners to ever so slightly increase the chances of retrieving the ball if it gets headed out of the box once the ball is brought into play.

Corners

In FM17 at least, the best corner conversion for me has come from playing the ball to the player outside the box, who then either shoots, passes or dribbles then shoots. I keep my full backs back typically, so I ensure I have 2 players left on the half way line to stop opposition counters.

In terms of defence, I go with 3 men on the 6 yard box in various areas and mark tall with 1 high jumping player and I concede very little, and I make sure I have at least 1 player up front and 1 player on the edge of the box to pass it to the forward player.

The defaults on the other hand don't put a player up front and have your corner taker mostly play it into the box with a low rate of conversion.

Free Kicks

Not sure it matters that much in attack, but in defence i have a 4 man wall and 1 player up front. That usually does the trick.

I have a general cover most of the options setting for taking corners

Corner setting: Mixed

Near Post Flick

Challenge GK

Short Option

Lurk Outside Area

Attack Near Post

Attack Far Post

Attack from Deep

#Stay Back

My corner takers are set by ability and footedness

#1 Best left footed player on the right, then #2 best right footed player on the right. (swap for left corners)

so depending who's on the pitch changes how the ball is played into the area 

close option is more about dragging a defending playing out of the area to reduce congestion than it is as a planned attacking outlet :)

I've had a lot of joy with overloading the "Lurk outside box/attack from deep" with my attacking players (long shots) and having the corner taker kick it directly to them. It generally works out with 3/4 players hanging about outside the box then they smash it in, it takes a deflection, or bounces around and into the goal. I think with Leicester I get between 10-15 league goals per season like this. Didn't calculate in other comps tho

Archived