Jumping ship mid-season. How is it still a thing?!

I can't quite believe this is still a common occurrence in FM after all these years...

Unless you happen to get offered a job by a club that sacked their manager at the end of the season, there's NO WAY to have a believable career curve. One that doesn't force you to jump ship mid-season like a wrestler during the Monday Night Wars, leaving loose ties, unfinished work and a general feel (at least for me) of disloyalty.

In real life many leagues don't even allow a manager who is under contract with Club A to join Club B during the same season!

In FM it used to happen all the time with AI managers merry-go-round from November (remember Sacking Day?!) to March, but at least now AI clubs pick their new manager from the unemployment line often enough.

Still, we human managers don't have a "Will join at the end of the season" option... The new club should then hire a caretaker manager to see off the rest of the season, while waiting for us to join on the first day of holiday.
I appreciate I'm the leading candidate, but should Man United sack Mourinho tomorrow, do you think his replacement would leave his current club overnight and show up at Old Trafford in time for next week's game???

I've never moved "in league" during a season, I've never seen the point (since the offering team is generally below me in the standings.) I have moved out-of-league to a higher-status team a couple times, but I hate to do that to the players. Most times, I finish the season, resign my position, and start looking. 

In my last club change I told them I wanted to join at the end of the season and they agreed. So I played  the rest of the season with my old team before joining the new one at the agreed date. I'm not sure if the new team had a interim manager or not, but it worked as I expected. I don't quite know what the game is missing here?

16 hours ago, RBKalle said:

One that doesn't force you to jump ship mid-season like a wrestler during the Monday Night Wars, leaving loose ties, unfinished work and a general feel (at least for me) of disloyalty.

best description of changes teams ever!

16 ore fa, grahamf ha scritto:

In interviews clubs will ask if you're willing to join now/end of season. 

During the interview or the contrat negotiation?

I don't remember being asked about that, ever.  Maybe it's an option only when there IS a caretaker manager already at the club?

Just now, RBKalle said:

I don't remember being asked about that, ever.  Maybe it's an option only when there IS a caretaker manager already at the club?

I had it in the interview and then during the contract negotiation it confirmed the transfer date.

2 hours ago, RBKalle said:

I'm playing pretty "journeyman" which meant if a bigger club offered me an interview, I took it. It was regularly asked if I'd prefer to join at the end of the season.

In my experiance you can only pick the ''join at end of season'' option if you are in the late parts of the season(not sure how late in the season it have to be though) So if you get interview/offer in like October, September etc then I have never, ever seen a option to join at end of season

On ‎21‎-‎04‎-‎2018 at 01:26, RBKalle said:

Unless you happen to get offered a job by a club that sacked their manager at the end of the season, there's NO WAY to have a believable career curve. One that doesn't force you to jump ship mid-season like a wrestler during the Monday Night Wars, leaving loose ties, unfinished work and a general feel (at least for me) of disloyalty.

Upvote just for this reference. I want to see a 'Rick Rude' manager who manages a team on monday morning and another on monday night :cool: 

But this features does exist as some users already pointed out, you can decide to only join at the end of the season as it's asked to you in the job interview. Although I don't think it's as strange as you say to have a manager leave its job to jump ship to a bigger club in the middle of the season, but it happens more in secondary leagues, as the top managers don't want to risk a bad season because they didn't have the pre-season to prepare.

22 minuti fa, kingjericho ha scritto:

Upvote just for this reference. I want to see a 'Rick Rude' manager who manages a team on monday morning and another on monday night :cool: 

I've been doing that with my doubly duty as club manager in South Korea and NT manager for Portugal...

WCQ game at 6pm, league game at 9pm... Which leads to the question, is the kick-off time in local time (ie. GMT for home games in Portugal and GMT+9 for K--League games) or it's absolute?

If it's the former, as I think, because the game with the early kick-off is played first, I couldn't possibly attend both matches without a teletransportation device... If it's the latter, it'd still wouldn't work, but the Asian game should be the first one due to time difference...

22 minuti fa, kingjericho ha scritto:

But this features does exist as some users already pointed out, you can decide to only join at the end of the season as it's asked to you in the job interview. Although I don't think it's as strange as you say to have a manager leave its job to jump ship to a bigger club in the middle of the season, but it happens more in secondary leagues, as the top managers don't want to risk a bad season because they didn't have the pre-season to prepare.

I'll keep an eye on the option in my next interview...

I think the OP is saying that the occurrences of manager's leaving clubs to join others mid season doesn't happen irl

Well certainly many managers get sacked during the season. Whether the vacancies are filled by managers recently sacked / unemployed or by manager's still employed will always occur but I do think the latter irl is much smaller compared to the former.

from an FM perspective the game is just giving the FM Manager opportunity of a new club, for better or worse. ultimately its up to the FM manager what they choose, how string their loyalty is to the existing club. 

What s the average manager's expctancy at a club these days, 2 years tops? Obviously some exceptions. Loyalty in football isn't like it was for both manager's and players

In fm16 I had managed to get Cambridge to league 1 and Sunderland who were in the championship offered me an interview in February and I got offered the job not long after, I was struggling with Cambridge in a relegation battle but was given the option to join Sunderland at the end of the season, I ended up getting Cambridge relegated but left to join Sunderland and get to the prem a season later

Question - if you accept a job but tell them you will move at the end of the season... if you win a league with your current club does that still go on your record.

i.e. I win the league with Man Utd but have accepted the job of WBA (who have been relegated), starting at the end of the season.

Also similar question .... if you win the league with 10 games remaining and leave before the end of the season... does that go on your record as a league win? Or do you have to be there come a certain date?

Archived